Is RE broke?

Priam

I had max armstech,loads of purple barrels from lvl 15 to 50 and I couldn't sell them on the GTN,they kept being returned time after time...couldn't even sell purple aim and cunning barrels for 20k each.As for weapons,I couldn't even sell mastercraft assault cannons (aug slot) for 30k each!

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had max armstech,loads of purple barrels from lvl 15 to 50 and I couldn't sell them on the GTN,they kept being returned time after time...couldn't even sell purple aim and cunning barrels for 20k each.As for weapons,I couldn't even sell mastercraft assault cannons (aug slot) for 30k each!

yeah and your losing credits at those prices when you consider how many credits it takes to get the mats, plus the time.

Wow, isnt it shocking, just SHOCKING that a generic crafting system that had over a FULL YEARS worth of beta testers screaming that it needs to be reworked or at LEAST have a bunch added to it is somehow...not being enjoyed by players!

Its amazing!

Thank god there were 10,000 people saying "its only beta" helping to get Bioware to really take a closer look at this system that would have been thought of as a cheap after-thought 12 years ago...

Hows your beta now?

Next time, stop acting like you are blind, and when people in a beta are talking about an aspect of the game that really needs work and maybe...I dont know, be constructive instead of throwing out one line responses about how the makers are working on it and people should shut up.

Well, enjoy the weak economy from a bad crafting system...doesnt matter what changes come now because the entire system is not going to be redone in a way that will effect the economy in a big way and this is exactly what we get thanks to so many beta testers doing nothing.

But hey, maybe youll be able to RE easier in another month or two while no one will care enough to buy it! Yahoo...

I like how people keep saying that it should be hard.

What is hard about the process?

You gather, run missions, then hit the craft button. There is nothing hard about any of those tasks.

Everything else, is left up to RNG.

There is nothing hard about RNG.

Please explain what is hard about the current crafting process?

If it's not hard exactly is this difficulty that everyone is complaining about?

My server isn't like that at all a blue or green spec at 33 5 to 7 k. Only purples are 10 k and up.

You can buy green items at vendors on any planet for 1/3 the cost you listed. You can get blues for a few commendations. To buy them on the GTN moves you into the 10 to 20k bracket. To make them can move you into the 25 to 100k bracket.

That is the point, cost escalation due to a myriad of supply issues and expenses. He was speaking of the cost to make items, the cost of mats, and the lack of mats and items, especially specific items on the GTN.

I can give you an example here. I just spent three hours crafting across 5 characters. I would guess approximately 50k spent. I turned exactly one item green to blue, no blue to purple. Been trying for two days for level 33 items for my character that is now 34 1/2....and must start the process all over again for 35.

I love this game, but crafting? Had originally planned to play today, get my gear together and level up. Frustrating to the point that I need to walk away from the game and maybe come back tonight, but I'm not looking forward to doing it with the lack of gear, or more of what I just went through. That is not a good thing. ;p

I am assuming your one of the lucky ones who got the schems quite easily

Why should it be that someone who got lucky can make all that creds or have the better gear compared to possibly someone whos put alot more time, effort and creds into it but been done over by the RNG.

Oh, I see. You think some people just "got lucky" and haven't been working at getting their schems? Working at getting resources & credits and leveling their character and all that? Lol.

There are so many people that think of themselves as victims in this game, it's really quite laughable.

You are making no sense whatsoever. Try learning the basics of supply and demand first please. If there is such a demand for the mats, then don't make the bloody items with a loss, seriously. You don't gain any points or achievements for being poor at business.

If you can't find products to sell for a profit, due to the "value" of the mats, then that's a totally different issue and has nothing to do with RE-chance.

An example would be the currently inflated prices of Bio-mats to feed the players powerleveling their skill to 400 in order to use the reusables. This has a sideeffect of high inflation on implant pricing, which might make them impossible to sell in the end.

I would like to note that the price of Radioactive paste( a purple quality biochem medical supply at tier 6) actually went up AFTER people started raising the price on the missions you get them from.

Secondly, I reverse engineered 60+ of one blue awareness implant and have gotten nothing but mats back, no pattern at all. I don't expect to get it on the 3rd or 4th attempt, but 60 crafts later and nothing but a few mats?

So given that people have been ************ for 2 months now how bad R/E has been the dev's looked at their data and discovered WOW... it is bad.

I would love for the dev's to post the discussion they had about now raising the rates.. or is this just a current bug in this latest patch.

Do tell... Do tell... since i have been destroying epics and hundreds of pieces of epic metal and cloth in your system.

I was probably working with oh a 3 percent success rate maybe 2 percent.

So what you going to change the rate to now... 10 percent , 20 percent chance?

Yeah, RE is sooo broken *rolleyes*

Tonight so far I've RE'd 11 level 37 green items:

2 RE's - schem

4 RE's - schem

3 RE's - schem

2 RE's - schem

So 4 blue schems for 11 RE's of green items. Gosh yeah, since that last patch RE is COMPLETELY, UTTERLY, INEXORABLY BROKEN.

Also, friend just got a level 49 purple earpiece tonight after a few tries.

Edited by Larkie

Yeah, RE is sooo broken *rolleyes*

Tonight so far I've RE'd 11 level 37 green items:

2 RE's - schem

4 RE's - schem

3 RE's - schem

2 RE's - schem

So 4 blue schems for 11 RE's of green items. Gosh yeah, since that last patch RE is COMPLETELY, UTTERLY, INEXORABLY BROKEN.

Also, friend just got a level 49 purple earpiece tonight after a few tries.

You'd be singing a different tune if you RE'd 20-40 blue items in a row and got nothing. Right now, I get about 1-5 for Greens and 1-20 for blues and that's if I'm lucky.

I want to know about things like the TT-17A suits of armour. I can get shematics for the Helm and Leggings, but the Chest and Gloves are Orange commendation purchases on Corellia and the bracers are blues on Corellia for $78k? I don't even know where the boots are.

Why can't I get schematics for the whole set? Why can't there be found Oranges for the whole set? This inconsistent approach to completing sets just pisses me off as a crafter and player.

You'd be singing a different tune if you RE'd 20-40 blue items in a row and got nothing. Right now, I get about 1-5 for Greens and 1-20 for blues and that's if I'm lucky.

I want to know about things like the TT-17A suits of armour. I can get shematics for the Helm and Leggings, but the Chest and Gloves are Orange commendation purchases on Corellia and the bracers are blues on Corellia for $78k? I don't even know where the boots are.

Why can't I get schematics for the whole set? Why can't there be found Oranges for the whole set? This inconsistent approach to completing sets just pisses me off as a crafter and player.

OMG man you re'd 20 to 40 blues you deserve atleast 4 purples for your troubles and all the hard work you sent your companions on. ( sarcasm off )

I cant understand why ppl think they should get something straight away just because you craft a couple of things, stop being so impatient. If you get everything at the start of a mmo whats the point of it, how is a market suppose to thrive if everybody got everything they want with very little effort. Stop begging for a handout which will just make crafting LAME.

OMG man you re'd 20 to 40 blues you deserve atleast 4 purples for your troubles and all the hard work you sent your companions on. ( sarcasm off )

I cant understand why ppl think they should get something straight away just because you craft a couple of things, stop being so impatient. If you get everything at the start of a mmo whats the point of it, how is a market suppose to thrive if everybody got everything they want with very little effort. Stop begging for a handout which will just make crafting LAME.

What do you need to be an *** for? The post I quoted said things were no big deal and he was getting schematics like it was going out of style, I was pointing out the other end of the spectrum. When you're crafting lvl 49 blues, it's not *simply* a matter of the 'hard work' you sent your companions on, it's time and credits and resources wasted. A LOT of them. I don't EXPECT anything, but I can and do get frustrated when I waste over 600 resources, including 100 Ciridium and unless you've got a ton of it to spare, spare us your righteous indignation.

I've built and RE'd at least 75 blue Overkill nano implants. Those are 24 minute combines. I've been doing this constantly over the course of about a week and a half.

Two days ago, on about the 65th RE attempt, I learned the Rampart epic implant. That's the tank one. How do I reverse engineer a DPS implant and end up with the tank version schematic?

I'm all for a bit of a grind to get an upgrade - as long as random is when you receive the prize. The prize has to make sense though. I'm after the Endowment version of the implant but I'm not going to bother to keep trying if items are not going to follow their logical paths. If I wanted the Tank implant, I would be RE'ing the tank implant, not the DPS one.

Right now, crafting is starting to smell like Minecraft's enchanting system to me. Something that sounds incredibly awesome, right up until you see how stupidly RNG it is when you are the point you need it.

RNG on one factor is okay.

RNG on multiple factors, or RNG ^ RNG, is not.

Edited by Raeln

The reverse engineering return rate is not currently working as intended. In an upcoming patch, we are improving the reverse engineering rates – especially for the higher-level items. We are also looking into the issue where a player receives "You already know that schematic" instead of learning a new research variation.

Patrick Malott

Systems Designer

One of the best things I've ever read on these forums. Thank you.

Tell someone to stop being impatient when you blow through 600 tier 6 crystals that took 3 weeks to farm to get a blue schematic that has the wrong prefix for your class.

NO one has a problem with the time it takes to re anything under tier 6, largely because there isnt the same roadblock with the gathering missions(1 hour average gather time with 10k companion and a large chance that the end result isnt the item you are looking for)

I dont know why people cant seem to get this, if you are archaelogy for example you cant kill mobs to get more crystals, there are very few nodes on worlds, heck even in ilum chances are you pull tier 5 crystals from the nodes there. It takes between 2-6 crystals to make 1 piece of armor at green tier, and you get between 0-6 for a gathering mission, usually 0 because you get the wrong crystals in return. The time commitment to even getting 1 purple armor piece is INSANE, and at that point you have to pray that the proc you spent all that time money and effort getting is the ONE and only prefix that is useful for the class.

No one is asking for trainable purple schematics.

Not all crew skills are created equally.

Synthweaving is the most difficult to gather for, followed by artifice ( depending on what you make you have to use the same materials as synth that are so hard to come by ), after that you have your scavenge based skills, arms armor cyber, and biochem which is more or less the same since bioanal is no different than scav.

It Makes ZERO sense why some of the crew skill have 3 gathering methods (Nodes, Monsters, Missions) and others have 2 (nodes, missions) This makes a giant disparity in the difficulty of getting materials to RE with.

I sympathize with Synthweavers and Artifice crafters. Again, it's not RE that is broken, (not broke you eejits) it's the professions that are in need of a tweak. Material cost is too high. Some schems give wrong stats, etc. All valid gripes that still have nothing to do with RE.

If it cost less material would you feel better or worse when you foolishly RE the same thing 200 times for an hour? I've lost 10 rolls on loot in a row in a 2 man group. I've rolled a 1 in social convos 3 out of 5 times. Those are bad streaks. I didn't think anything was broken.

Tip: Treat RE like gambling and know when to walk away. Diversify what you are trying to RE.

Again, it's not RE that is broken, (not broke you eejits) it's the professions that are in need of a tweak. Material cost is too high. Some schems give wrong stats, etc. All valid gripes that still have nothing to do with RE.

Yeah,it's not broke,messed up or actually not working as designed which is why a Bioware employee took time to post in this thread that the drop rate and RE'ing a recipe you already know isn't how they intended it to be and it will be fixed in an upcoming patch.The word fixed kinda implies it was broken,to me anyway.

[EDIT]Sorry if I sound mean but it's early and I'm only halfway through my first coffee and haven't had a cigarette yet ;)

Edited by Germ

I think something has definitely happened to RE over the past week or so. I have RE'd tons of items up to purple but, in the last week, I have gotten ZERO schematics and I have RE'd at least 200 items. I'm not getting "you already know this schematic" either. I'm getting nothing. I know RNG, blah, blah, blah but there is no way I've been that unlucky.

In other words you are going to make it so its easier to get blues and purples when REing them but are going to do nothing about them being useful in game.

Just a suggestion, but it might be an idea to check the dev tracker regularly before giving the devs a hard time. ;)

They've already said that they are working on improving the 'end game' viability of all crafting skills:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=2417047#edit2417047

i find it damn near impossible to get blues right now..no idea what has happend..i have been going at a good rate and getting blues on everything i can but now i cant get a blue at all, the past 2 days i have RE'd close to the 50 mark on one type of hilt..i did not get a blue

Great news on the "You already know that schematic"...

Very bad news on the "improving the reverse engineering rates" !!!

This would be a slap in the face for us dedicated crafters.

I'm not sure I see how fixing a bug with RE rates is a slap in the face for anyone?

In an upcoming patch? That could be from tomorrow till ragnarok. Is it possible to get a little more specific? It seems answers we do get is usually 'in an upcoming patch' which in turn, is not really any information at all.

In all fairness, he probably doesn't know for sure which patch it'll be in/when that patch will be released. Generally, in a live environment, dev teams don't finish something then sit around and wait to add it to the game - they try to fit in everything they can and are still working and testing stuff right up until the day before a patch.