Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

UI Feedback: Amplifier and Amp Rerolls

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Public Test Server
UI Feedback: Amplifier and Amp Rerolls
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

OlBuzzard
10.09.2019 , 11:29 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Estelindis View Post
Hi Buzzard, I bumped into you yesterday on Mek-Sha!

Perhaps it's not obvious, but the re-rolls only get applied when we actively choose to update the item. We can keep an original amplifier as long as we want, only changing it when we apply a new roll that we actively prefer. Now we can't revert to the original after that, but I think that's better than having no option to retain the original at all.
Exactly !! I agree and understand.

However, sometimes if we look at our over all collection of armor parts we get the idea that perhaps certain stats "could be" improved ! Please note: could be … ??? From there we start the re-roll process on .. well just for discussion we will suggest only one item (piece of armor) … perhaps ! After SEVERAL attempts at re-rolling ( and a large number of credits ) we discover that we are in fact in worse shape. YES .. from what I've determined that could actually happen.

BUT... even sadder still we can't return to the original setting that piece came with even if we wanted to. Now we get to RNG for a replacement piece of armor with the same stats ?? Good luck with that ! Heck .. I should start playing the LOTTO. I'd stand a better chance !!
(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|

Exocor
10.09.2019 , 11:40 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by OlBuzzard View Post
Exactly !! I agree and understand.

However, sometimes if we look at our over all collection of armor parts we get the idea that perhaps certain stats "could be" improved ! Please note: could be … ??? From there we start the re-roll process on .. well just for discussion we will suggest only one item (piece of armor) … perhaps ! After SEVERAL attempts at re-rolling ( and a large number of credits ) we discover that we are in fact in worse shape. YES .. from what I've determined that could actually happen.

BUT... even sadder still we can't return to the original setting that piece came with even if we wanted to. Now we get to RNG for a replacement piece of armor with the same stats ?? Good luck with that ! Heck .. I should start playing the LOTTO. I'd stand a better chance !!
If you come across a level 306 gold armor penetration amplifier, you might think about saving it, even if you don't need it right now, because of this very reason. Just buy another armoring that doesn't come with a gold amplifier out of the box and reroll on that one.
Infinitas Coryak - Tulak Hord Nox
--
Check our Sale Offers!

Estelindis
10.09.2019 , 11:49 AM | #43

I'm confused by what you're saying, because I feel like we can do exactly that. We can waste lots of credits and only get worse results, but as long we don't update the amplifier, we don't lose the original one.

I guess maybe you're suggesting a situation where we think a rolled amplifier is better than it really is, so we choose to update the item, but then later regret doing so, because the new amplifier wasn't what we thought? But I think what makes the best case for that is a clear explanation of what everything does, so we can have a precise and accurate basis for our decisions.

I mean if there was some way to revert to the original original after that, maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing, but then you'd still have the problem of people regretting their choices and wishing they could go back to a non-original amplifier that they rolled but then overwrote. I really do feel like the absolute best thing for BW to do is to give us clear and accurate info about what all the amplifiers do.
|| My referral link || Trask Ulgo 🡢 The Progenitor 🡢 Darth Malgus ||
Let's Fix 6.0 Crafting
More love for class companions, please.
~~~Felix Iresso return discussion & fanfic~~~

OlBuzzard
10.09.2019 , 11:53 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Exocor View Post
If you come across a level 306 gold armor penetration amplifier, you might think about saving it, even if you don't need it right now, because of this very reason. Just buy another armoring that doesn't come with a gold amplifier out of the box and reroll on that one.
OH most DEFINATELY .. 306 anything … actually … Until I'm done with the build and ready to take the next step up. Even then … IMO swap out pieces carefully and don't throw anything out until you are confident of what you have in hand !!

OlBuzzard
10.09.2019 , 11:56 AM | #45
I'm confused by what you're saying, because I feel like we can do exactly that. We can waste lots of credits and only get worse results, but as long we don't update the amplifier, we don't lose the original one.

I guess maybe you're suggesting a situation where we think a rolled amplifier is better than it really is, so we choose to update the item, but then later regret doing so, because the new amplifier wasn't what we thought? But I think what makes the best case for that is a clear explanation of what everything does, so we can have a precise and accurate basis for our decisions.

I mean if there was some way to revert to the original original after that, maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing, but then you'd still have the problem of people regretting their choices and wishing they could go back to a non-original amplifier that they rolled but then overwrote. I really do feel like the absolute best thing for BW to do is to give us clear and accurate info about what all the amplifiers do.
Believe it or not .. you're on the right track. And the truth is … again you are correct that some would complain regardless.

I also agree that better information should be provided regarding the specifics of amplifiers.

Good points !

Estelindis
10.09.2019 , 12:02 PM | #46
Good points !
Thanks. Hooray for civil and productive internet discussions!
|| My referral link || Trask Ulgo 🡢 The Progenitor 🡢 Darth Malgus ||
Let's Fix 6.0 Crafting
More love for class companions, please.
~~~Felix Iresso return discussion & fanfic~~~

OlBuzzard
10.09.2019 , 12:25 PM | #47
Thanks. Hooray for civil and productive internet discussions!
It's old fashioned idea !!

And a few of us around here that still believe that !

Tiranea
10.09.2019 , 02:18 PM | #48
First off, I did have trouble finding the amplifier window. I found it unintuitive that it would just be a button in the character panel. I would have expected amplifier interaction to involve some sort of NPC/console instead of being a random UI element. Later I did notice that you can also access the re-roll window by clicking on a gear item to modify it, which made more sense to me, though I admit it's still nice to have a separate window to give you an overview of all the different amplifiers you have equipped.

The main amplifier window is weird at the moment. I don't know what the order of items/amplifiers is based on, but it makes no sense to have boots above head and so on. The item order in it should be the same as on the character panel IMO.

I also don't get why we need to double-click on the little arrow on the side to open the re-roll window? Nothing else in game requires double-clicking! I thought I was doing something wrong at first and only finally figured out how to open it more or less by accident.

Also, I agree with most posters on this thread that more information about amplifiers needs to be part of the UI. I don't know if we necessarily need to be given a full list from the start... maybe there could be something like an "amplifier collections" window where you slowly uncover them all, with each reroll result being added to the list? Just a random idea; I'm no game designer. But as it is, I didn't find it very compelling to keep rolling with no idea what I was even shooting for. Aside from not knowing what all the different effects are, it's also hard to tell which numbers are good or bad. I don't like that +1 can be a green on one stat while +0.9 is a purple on another... just makes it very confusing.
My personal SWTOR Fan Blog: Going Commando

OlBuzzard
10.09.2019 , 04:19 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Tiranea View Post
First off, I did have trouble finding the amplifier window. I found it unintuitive that it would just be a button in the character panel. I would have expected amplifier interaction to involve some sort of NPC/console instead of being a random UI element. Later I did notice that you can also access the re-roll window by clicking on a gear item to modify it, which made more sense to me, though I admit it's still nice to have a separate window to give you an overview of all the different amplifiers you have equipped.

The main amplifier window is weird at the moment. I don't know what the order of items/amplifiers is based on, but it makes no sense to have boots above head and so on. The item order in it should be the same as on the character panel IMO.

I also don't get why we need to double-click on the little arrow on the side to open the re-roll window? Nothing else in game requires double-clicking! I thought I was doing something wrong at first and only finally figured out how to open it more or less by accident.

Also, I agree with most posters on this thread that more information about amplifiers needs to be part of the UI. I don't know if we necessarily need to be given a full list from the start... maybe there could be something like an "amplifier collections" window where you slowly uncover them all, with each reroll result being added to the list? Just a random idea; I'm no game designer. But as it is, I didn't find it very compelling to keep rolling with no idea what I was even shooting for. Aside from not knowing what all the different effects are, it's also hard to tell which numbers are good or bad. I don't like that +1 can be a green on one stat while +0.9 is a purple on another... just makes it very confusing.
IMO.... A good place to start would be to better understand how they affect over all player stats on a chart or a part of the character build .. something.

edit: by this I mean something added to the UI … character screen .. chart.. Something. right now an Ouija board would be an improvement !!
The better we understand that the better choices we can make with re-rolling !

TrixxieTriss
10.09.2019 , 06:43 PM | #50
I just hope they cap the cost at 100,000, no matter how many times you have to roll, it will never cost more. Unless you select one and want to change it later.
Other wise its pure slot machine mechanics and 100% gambling.