Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lightning / Telekinetics Set Bonuses and Tactical Items

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
Lightning / Telekinetics Set Bonuses and Tactical Items
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
04.16.2019 , 09:57 AM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey folks,

Following our Onslaught announcement at SW Celebration we want to start diving into feedback right away. I want to use this thread to talk about Tactical Item effects and Set Bonuses for Lightning and Telekinetics Disciplines. Our goal for set bonuses is to introduce new bonuses, and potentially with even new sizes so you can mix and match. Tactical Items are a new item type that is meant to be build defining and most likely to directly impact how an ability works. For inspiration here are two completely made up Chain Lightning Examples:
  1. Chain Lightning now does all of its total damage to only one target, and no longer jumps.
  2. Chain Lightning now jumps even more and does additional damage to secondary targets.

That would allow you to take a standard ability and allow it to be modified to fit your playstyle. Please use this thread to brainstorm ideas and make as many recommendations as you would like! For context:
  • Tactical Items: These should modify one of your Advanced Class/Discipline abilities to work differently. The goal is for you to use the ability in situations you previously wouldn’t (more often, against specific targets, etc)
  • Set Bonuses: These should be focused on the broader “kind of tools” your class uses, but not specific abilities. Some examples are sets that center around bleeds, force damage, lightning, shields, cover, and so on.
Set bonuses, tacticals, both, let us know what you would like to see. I may not respond frequently in this thread but know that I am going to be compiling everything and sending it over to the team.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

DarthEnrique
04.16.2019 , 10:47 AM | #2
I'd like something that'll boost all Inquisitors/Consulors so they aren't so squishy.
Trying to help my friend Ultimatedshadow out, please click his referral link. Thanks. http://www.swtor.com/r/5YzVTH

Sarova
04.16.2019 , 12:16 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthEnrique View Post
I'd like something that'll boost all Inquisitors/Consulors so they aren't so squishy.
Hear, hear. My main is a lightning sorcerer and in PvP I'm the easy and quick kill target every single match I enter and my gear is excellent. I would like to be able to deal out decent damage to other players and spend much less times casting heals on myself.

My ideas for what the Tactical Item could do:
a) Makes Crushing Darkness instant cast. Currently I only use this ability in fights where a rotation is required such as boss fights (and I mean world bosses on Ossus and such since I do not raid) and long fights I encounter while doing general PvE stuff (Champions and strong gold elites). I want to be able to use Crushing Darkness in PvP
b) Makes Static Barrier reflect x amount of damage at attackers for x amount of seconds (but does not alter or affect the utility "Lightning Barrier" if chosen) or the cooldowns for static barrier.
c) Makes Unnatural Preservation heal to full and reflect ALL damage for x seconds BUT increases it's cooldown to 1 minute (up from 30 seconds)
d) Gives the passive Transmission could have a damage increase added e.g. also increases the critical chance of shock by x amount
e) Adds damage reduction OR a heal over time to Cloud Mind for 6-8 seconds making it useful outside OPs and Flashpoints

For the Set Bonus I'd like to to be able to choose a set that increases (doubles) the damage output of our burst abilities shock and lightning flash. I would choose this set because it would be beneficial for use in PvP.

I may add more if I think of anything else.
Iokath Needs Customised Quinns - Make it Happen || Quinn Treats™
Add an option to switch off vendor icons
My Rishi
Magical Clicky Link

juliushorst
04.16.2019 , 12:35 PM | #4
Something to make Force Lightning not totally useless would be nice At least ability to cast it while moving.
All grind and no joy makes Jack a dull boy.
Click here. I get this, you get this

shyroman
04.16.2019 , 01:01 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by juliushorst View Post
Something to make Force Lightning not totally useless would be nice At least ability to cast it while moving.
Something to make Force lightning useful would be very nice. Maybe a tactical item that makes force lightning do double damage once you have 5 stacks of focal lightning.
Ryann - Sniper | Ryannack - Sorcerer | Apophas - Marauder
Jesicca - Mercenary | Lindseey - Gunslinger
Origin - Honey Badgers
Star Forge

Rion_Starkiller
04.16.2019 , 01:42 PM | #6
Not sure what you guys are talking about in regards to being squishy.

I'd like a Tac item that increases my critical damage (aka Surge) by X%. Ling/TK hits like a wet noodle.
-Beruhl, NiM Space Barbie and Solo Ranked Forum PvP (ง︡'-'︠)ง
(\/)(Ö,,,,Ö)(\/) ¦̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱(̢ ̡͇̅└͇̅┘͇̅ (▤8כ−◦
i do what i want major league memes can i borrow a stim?

rolandps
04.16.2019 , 01:51 PM | #7
First of all, do not buff the survivability of Lightning Sorcerer. It is quite overpowered in PvP due to the massive damage reduction from Static Barrier (10%) and the DR stacks 3x 5%. It's even more tanky than mercs in specific situations.

My experience is based on a long time spent in both solo and team ranked PvP.

One demand I do have is for sorcerers in general: If Phasewalk cannot be used, it should not be removed from its placed position. It simply shouldn't be triggered.
The easiest example here is if you get netted. In the second you get netted you wanted to bubble. Bubble just doesn't activate.
If you phasewalk in the exact same second when you get netted or while you're netted, Phasewalk is removed from its position. The same applies to Deception Assassin Low Slash and the Juggernaut Forcepush.
Another general wish I'd have: Generally deal more damage, but decrease the damage mitigation / reduction / absorption that Lightning Sorcerers have right now (15% DR Fulgurous Fortification, 10% DR Convection, 25% DR Suppression, 15% Unnatural Vigor)

Suggestions - Can be applied for both Set Bonuses or Tactical Items

- Chain Lightning turns into a single target ability but deals X % increased damage. (My suggestion something between 50 and 100 %)
- After pulling a friendly target with Extrication, the target cannot be leapt to or pulled away from any enemies for 4 seconds
- Turns Extrication (Pulling a friendly target towards your position) into an offensive ability, pulling an enemy instead of a friendly target, such as the pull Assassin Tanks have
- After Force Barrier (3m CD) ends, Overload becomes more powerful, doubling the range enemies are knocked back as well as its damage dealt
- Thundering Blast also automatically critically hits targets affected by Crushing Darkness DoT (not only Affliction) - This will open new possibilities to burst targets with low HP where applying Affliction would end in a DPS loss, as well as new opportunities for hardswapping in PvP with Lightning Sorcerer
- Lightning Storm will grant a buff to Force Lightning: The next use of Force Lightning deals targets with less than 30% of their max. HP 100% more damage, deals all its damage at once and activates instantly, without a channel or cast time
- Convulsing Currents reworked: Shock deals 50% (up from 35%) more damage to targets affected by your Crushing Darkness
- Decrease damage dealt by Lightning Bolt, Shock and Crushing Darkness but increase damage dealt by Lightning Flash, Thundering Blast and Chain Lightning
- Using Recklessness will grant X charges of a buff to Thundering Blast, making the next Thundering Blast being activated instantly instead of casted

------

I will be adding more suggestions in the next days if I have any.

Stookydroid
04.16.2019 , 01:54 PM | #8
I posted this to the other class thread first because I am stupid and I thought that was the recently created thread. lol.

Note: this is mostly for Lightning Sorcerer with PVE and PVP in mind, but focused on PVE content.
Currently, sorcerer struggles in comparison to other classes with single target damage and survivability. With the addition of tactical items, new set bonuses, and a new ability at lvl 75, these problems could be easily fixed.
1. Defensive cooldowns (DCDs). Sorc has few dcds. For PVE, phase walk has relatively niche uses, mostly to position yourself better or get to the next area of the fight faster. Force barrier (god bubble) is the only other major dcd, and definately has its uses. It was proposed pre 5.0 that sorcs would be able to move while castings god bubble. This would certainly help, especially for PVP, where you could go invulnerable and reposition yourself. Another dcd that would work well would be a reflect, which many other less squishy classes already have. This should probably be a new separate ability, and could be the lvl 75 ability sorcs recieve. A reflect would significantly boost sorcs’ survivability, and would also act as a defensive counter to electro net, which is a problem for sorcerers in ranked.
2. Single target damage. Currently, sorc is the lower overall parsing class. Madness pulls slightly higher than lightning, but sorc is significantly below its rdps counterparts, merc and sniper, in single target damage over a long period of time. The idea of making chain lightning either super aoe or hit all of its damage single target is interesting. If cl’s current damage is kept the same, TB + single target spec CL would be a >100k burst (with polarity recklessness), essentialy turning it into a taunt. Sorc tank when?
Lightning could theoretically use another core ability to replace some of the lightning bolt filler, but the current class’s priority system is fine, imo. As for set bonuses, here are some suggestions:
- Chain Lightning makes your next Lightning Flash deal X bonus damage in the next X seconds
- Shock critically strikes targets affected by Affliction or;
- Shock makes your next Lightning Flash deal X bonus damage
- Chain Lightning spreads your affliction to targets it hits
- Lightning Bolt grants a charge of [Name]. At 2 charges of [Name], your next Crushing Darkness critically strikes
Force Lightning (Lightning spec) reworked. Currently, Force LIGHTNING is basically not on your quickbar.. in LIGHTNING spec. It’s not part of any rotation, but FL could be changed while in lightning spec to be usable. Since Lightning already has 2 different instant cast lighning-like abilities, making FL into an instant cast (which seems like the simplest thing to do) would just make it very monotone. A more creative solution would be to make it some kind of niche abulity. Perhaps having it apply Trauma for its duration, or some other debuff that could be useful in certain scenarios. Consuming Darkness: this ability is not used on sorcerer except for healers. This could be turned into something useful by perhaps making it grant some kind of buff, maybe for 60 minute similar to the class buffs.
Utility: utility for static barrier to only be able to barrier yourself but off GCD.
The Sorc utility that replaces saber strike (currently roots target): change to a stun. Cool idea, but nobody takes this utility, it’s useless. If it was a 4? second hard stun, it might see use. Combine 15% dr on unnatural preservation and 25% on cloud mind into same utility (perhaps 20% or 25% for both).
Gearing: GCD (global cooldown [how fast you can activate abilities on quickbar]) reduction: the lightning 5% alac bonus is good. Getting ~1550 alac (for smooth rotation with crushing darkness proc off lightning flash) instead of 1859 (like most other classes to get to 1.3s gcd) helps a lot, and allows more crit/mastery. Keep this. Any bonuses that grant alacrity should also be optimized so that they allow a GCD reduction, not just random "oh here's 1% alac bonus for 5 seconds, enjoy the tiny CDR!". For Accuracy, make it possible to get exactly 110.00 as opposed to the current 110.10 (gloves and feet enhancement 258 + acc stim) or the 109.99 thing with augments (terrible build, can miss interrupts/knockbacks).
P.S. please make Legacy Left-Side pieces
P.P.S. Sorc Tank.
P.P.P.S. Please fix this class, it hasn’t been good since 3.0.
P.P.P.P.S. Remove Electro Net.
Thank you for reading, if you for some reason did.

AlCiao
04.16.2019 , 04:11 PM | #9
I would definitely be for an ability that makes Chain Lightning be a "super AoE" as it has been called.

I would also, personally speaking, love something that makes CL always have zero-cast time.

I usually do solo content, such as dailies (I really like dailies in general, lol, I'm a bit obsessed), so something that is great AoE and/or can be cast without as much trouble would be really nice.

Oh! Speaking of which... UN-NERF Force Storm, please! I don't need the Slow effect back, I just want it to be a full 6-second channel and/or have the -25%-less-damage-per-tick removed. (I'd want this as a base change that all sorcerers get, not as a Tactical Item, but if the only way you all are willing to consider doing this is as a Tactical Item, that'd be more or less acceptable.)

Thanks
Strangefate Legacy on Star Forge (previously Jedi Covenant)
<Imperial Entanglements>

DarthSpuds
04.16.2019 , 04:27 PM | #10
Any chance that this "Tactical Item could make it so DS-Sages could use Lighting and LS-Sorcs use Telekinesis?

Would love a tactical that turned Forcequake into an AOE root, for example.

Bring CC back into the mix, it adds another dimension to combat.

PS: I know you've always hated CC, especially on Bosses, but how about having a CC Types, and CC Temporary Immunity.

So that if I had used a Stun CC on a Boss, once it had worn off it would be immune to Stun CC for, say 30 seconds, but could still be susceptible to a Root based CC.

Just a thought.

All The Best