Juggs - Saber Ward ignored with Sonic Barrier?

Xtrema

Was just digging thru my logs and noticed something strange…during tantrum phase of tfb sm I had activated Saber Ward, then Force Scream (proccing a Sonic Barrier), at this point it looks like the next attack is absorbed by Sonic Barrier (shown as 1001 absorbed) but even though Saber Ward is active, the 25% reduction (which seems to show up also as absorbed amount) has no effect. It's not until the second and third attack on me that I can see Saber Ward's effect (1686 absorbed). Log snippet here (non-related lines cut out):

Hoken activates Saber Ward.

Hoken gains Blade Turning.

Hoken gains Saber Ward.

Hoken activates Force Scream.

Hoken gains Sonic Barrier.

Hoken loses Sonic Barrier.

The Terror From Beyond's Phasic Spittle hits Hoken for 6747 kinetic damage, causing 6747 threat. (1001 absorbed)

Hoken loses Blade Turning.

The Terror From Beyond's Phasic Spittle hits Hoken for 6747 kinetic damage, causing 6747 threat. (1686 absorbed)

The Terror From Beyond's Phasic Spittle hits Hoken for 6747 kinetic damage, causing 6747 threat. (1686 absorbed)

From this it seems that if both Sonic Barrier and Saber Ward are present, the 25% from Saber Ward is sidelined and only the absorption amount from Sonic Barrier takes effect? Is this intended? Or am I missing something? This would be huge in terms of how I manage rotation during burn phases. Although admittedly this log is from almost a month ago so if it's a bug that was fixed, just go ahead and ignore this :p

It seems odd but it speaks for itself. THe much better question is why aren't tanking on one of the lower platforms where saberward will make you dodge 85% of the atacks entirely? Phasic Spittle (ranged attack) is a tech/foce attack which cannot be shielded or dodged; Monsterous Swipe (lowest platforms) is a melee attack that can be dodged/shielded. You're taking more than twice the amount of damage necessary and probably 5 times the amount when you have saber ward up and are on the wrong platforms. I think in this case being execution > rotation.

It seems odd but it speaks for itself. THe much better question is why aren't tanking on one of the lower platforms where saberward will make you dodge 85% of the atacks entirely? Phasic Spittle (ranged attack) is a tech/foce attack which cannot be shielded or dodged; Monsterous Swipe (lowest platforms) is a melee attack that can be dodged/shielded. You're taking more than twice the amount of damage necessary and probably 5 times the amount when you have saber ward up and are on the wrong platforms. I think in this case being execution > rotation.

I didn't know any better then, but putting my positioning in that fight aside, any other tanks happen to see something similar? It'd be at least good to know so we dont waste an ability stacking the two together, especially since Saber Ward is on such a long CD.

I was under the impression they are the exact same attack behind the scenes, they just had different animations. I coulda sworn I've mitigated the purple spit before, but maybe not.

I'd like a definitive answer on this. I already tank it on the closer platforms, but would like to know for sure. Any hard proof you have would be awesome, Fillion.

Or we could just get a post from Kitru. That'd be enough. :)

Or we could just get a post from Kitru. That'd be enough. :)

Phasic Spittle hits about twice as hard as Monstrous Swipe (I refuse to misspell it) in addition to being a Force/Tech attack rather than a melee/ranged attack. As such, you're generally taking more than 4 times more damage by standing on the outer pillars compared to the inner pillars (VGs take slightly more than 4 times more damage, Guardians take ~4.5 times more damage, and Shadows take ~5.5 times more damage).

Here is a snipped of what Tantrum looks like from the inner platforms, glance means shield, dodge or miss means defend.

03:49:06.684 The Terror From Beyond's Monsterous Swipe hits Sec for 1550 kinetic damage, causing 1550 threat.

03:49:06.685 The Terror From Beyond's Monsterous Swipe misses Sec, causing 1 threat.

03:49:06.685 The Terror From Beyond's Monsterous Swipe glances Sec for 520 kinetic damage, causing 520 threat.

03:49:06.685 Sec dodges The Terror From Beyond's Monsterous Swipe, causing 1 threat.

03:49:06.685 The Terror From Beyond's Monsterous Swipe glances Sec for 520 kinetic damage, causing 520 threat.

It is essentially a compound attack (5 individual hits per attack) activated every GCD; 1.5s Each individual part has its own chance to be shielded or defended.

I have no data on the outside platforms as nobody in my guild tanks at the outer platforms, I may try it in a SM just to compare.

Back to topic, I dunno about Sonic Barrier v Saber Ward, need to find something to test it on.

Edited by Darth_Dreselus