SWTOR caused my bank card to get canceled and messed up my router

antifeminist

So I tried buying the recurring subscription but it rejected it ....... for using a bad P2P client cause it saves you money from having to actually buy server bandwidth.

Another typical rant.

Have you investigated why your recurring subscription was rejected? It sounds as though the bank told you they suspected fraud - so maybe it was your fault in some way.

The reason for the BitRaider is not to save bandwidth. It's so people can start playing the starter worlds while the rest of the game downloads in the background. I'm not a fan of BItRaider, but making rash unfounded accusations against BW is not the answer.

Then the BitRaider P2P launcher client which updates the game killed my router so I had to spend like 3 hours googling how to manually reset my router before I got my internet working again.

Thanks EA for not having a working payment function on your website which caused my bank to cancel my card, and for using a bad P2P client cause it saves you money from having to actually buy server bandwidth. If I wasn't such a big star wars fan and hadn't already bought 60 days of gameplay, I would delete this game and never come back. Thanks EA.

BitRaider isn't a P2P client. It's a progressive background download client, but it *does* download from EA's servers rather than in P2P mode.

Wow, so this is your reaction? Instead of offering an apology to the customer, you attack them? I mean this is not some minor issue. I'm not whining about something insignificant. EA caused my bank to suspend and cancel my card. And if you had bothered to google this, you would have seen that many other people had this same problem with the recurring sub being rejected. I guess I'm beginning to understand now why EA was voted "worst company in America".

The flaw with the rant above is that JediQuaker is not an EA employee, so what he says is in no way reflective of EA's policies toward anything, and there's no reason for him to apologise for what happened. (I'm not an EA employee either, in case you were wondering.)

As a percentage, I'd say that in fact, very few people are affected by this, but the ones who aren't (e.g. myself) don't bother making a fuss about "Hey! I subscribed by a recurring sub and everything just worked!" - it isn't news that something that's supposed to just work did, indeed, just work - so all you hear is the complaints.

I'd also speculate that the problem with your bank card was, in fact, *not* EA's fault as such. I suspect, based on my own bank (at the time) querying a big transaction (they just wrote me a tree-puree letter asking if the transaction was one I intended because it was way far out of the ordinary, and another time they put a hold on a transaction until I confirmed that it was genuine), that the EA transaction triggered an overly-enthusiastic piece of your bank's anti-fraud mechanisms. It happens, and not just with EA, but it isn't the merchant's fault.(1)

(1) Not directly, anyway. It may be that your bank has had a lot of cases of fraudulent transactions made with EA by its customer's cards, even though it isn't the customers themselves making those transactions. (Er, that's what makes them fraudulent, obviously.)

Note: I'm not accusing *you* of carelessness with your card details. I'm saying that an unusually large (relative to other banks) fraction of your bank's customers have been careless like that, and that makes *your* bank twitchy about sudden transactions coming from EA.

If I wasn't such a big Star Wars fan, I'd cancel the payment at my bank, even file a dispute report with the bank if I had to, and probably contact my lawyer too and ask him to take action as well.

Cancelling the payment would suffice, and save you lawyer's fees. As soon as the cancellation ("chargeback") reached EA, they would cancel not only your SWTOR account but also any associated EA/Origin account as well. Kind of a nuclear option, but if that's what you want to do, do it.

As a secondary note, in general, I'd advise against making threats of legal action like this until much later in the process.

Anyway, next time, I'll be sure to just buy the 60 days non-recurring and not face this same issue. And if SWTOR kills my router, I now know how to manually reset it. It's just a real pain in the A that i have to go to all this trouble just to play a game. I mean if you make it impossible for people to buy your product, don't be surprised when you go out of business. Other than that, I'm planning on subscribing for at least the next year or two.

If SWTOR "kills" your router, that indicates a bug in the software on the router(2), and you should take that up with the manufacturer (or your ISP if it's their own-branded one such as an Orange-branded LiveBox). They may be able to provide an update that will fix the bug.

(2) Yes, routers have software in them, sometimes referred to as "firmware" because it's a little harder to change than the software on a PC. It's usually quite a large lump of software - the downloadable firmware file for my firewall(3) (which can also do the job of "router") is 48MB of compressed files, and an Internet-access router's firmware will be of similar size.

(3) I have a professional-grade UTM firewall in my network, loaned to me because I work for the company that makes it. My network is a good test for some of the more unusual features because most of the company's customers don't use those features. (Heck, I was allowed to add a couple of very small features to the firmware precisely *because* of things happening in my network.)

I've often wondered if some people think they are talking directly to EA/BW people when they post on the forums. I guess this answers that. :)

To the OP - when any official EA/BW posts it's normally in yellow text and there's a yellow "BW" symbol at the left of the post.

Edited by JediQuaker

I'm not so sure about the whole "MMOs are dead" thing considering the recent release of WoW classic. After playing SWTOR though, I can't picture myself going back to the cartoonish look of WoW.

In any case there's more to an MMO than just endgame. In the case of SWTOR there's also the story, plus exploration, PvP, etc. I don't play much "endgame" stuff these days and yes, I am beginning to run out of things to do. :p

Edited by JediQuaker

Just finished the story up to the Ossus part.

Which story? There are eight different beginning parts (up to where you go to Ilum), two different stories on Ilum, two different stories on Makeb and two different stories on Ossus.

(One per base class - Trooper, Smuggler, Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular, Bounty Hunter, Imperial Agent, Sith Warrior and Sith Inquisitor - up to Ilum, one per faction on Ilum, Makeb and Ossus. Ossus also has variations based on whether you support your character's home faction or the opposite faction. Each of the class-specific parts has endless variations depending on whether you veer toward the light, the dark, or just meander around in the middle.(1))

Unless you've done all that plus Oricon, the Macrobinoculars mission series, the Seeker Droid series, all the <Story Arc> stories, and all the little mini-stories associated with side missions(2), and all the variations of companion stories, and romanced all the romanceable companions, and so on, you haven't "finished the story".

(1) Sith Warrior in particular (Juggernaut and Marauder) is fascinating when you play it full light-side, especially if you've already played it full-dark.

(2) Have you done both the missions for Fez Burba, for example?

Edited by SteveTheCynic

So I tried buying the recurring subscription but it rejected it so I bought the non-recurring 60 days sub. I just found out that my bank reported my ATM card as missing or stolen due to that rejected transaction. Now I have to wait 7 days for a new ATM card.

Then the BitRaider P2P launcher client which updates the game killed my router so I had to spend like 3 hours googling how to manually reset my router before I got my internet working again.

Thanks EA for not having a working payment function on your website which caused my bank to cancel my card, and for using a bad P2P client cause it saves you money from having to actually buy server bandwidth. If I wasn't such a big star wars fan and hadn't already bought 60 days of gameplay, I would delete this game and never come back. Thanks EA.

First of all, if you don't normally make these kinds of transactions your bank will flag your card.

2ndly, SWTOR itself, nor bitraider makes no interaction with your router. SWTOR is an application, Bit Raider is an application and they operate at layers 5-7 in the "network model" while your router operates at layer 3. if it was overloaded by the low data throughput of SWTOR then you need to replace it. its 2019 get a new AX Router.