Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Improve Season 10-12 Flair Readability

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Improve Season 10-12 Flair Readability

LinkinPein
11.22.2020 , 08:58 AM | #1
To put it simply, making a font the same (or similar) color as its background does NOT make it easier for the human eye to read. Here is an example:

An example.

Seasons 8 and 9 flairs had a red color featured in the season number, which makes it stand out and easy to read. However, S10-12 feature a font with the same color as its background, which makes it NOT stand out and HARDER to see.

The drop-shadow effect on the S10-12 font DOES help make the number stand out, but I believe it was better with S-9 flairs, as having the number WITHOUT the drop-shadow effect makes it so that the number seems as part of the shield-like structure.

In short, make S10-12 flairs have the same logic in terms of color scheme and drop-shadow effect as the ones from S8-9.

Please, keep it on topic. If you don't care, don't comment. I will not bother with trolls.
Shade Cero the Expert Marauder | Shade Five the Cunning Assassin <Voidstalkers>

merovejec
11.22.2020 , 11:38 AM | #2
Yeah, Im glad I got those season 8-9 flairs, they were the best. But Season 8 wasnt animated, so best one is 9.
Merovejec
7 days of being a sub, try it! Referral Link

LinkinPein
11.22.2020 , 01:01 PM | #3
While we are at it, S9-12 fire animations should be added to S8 gold and platinum flairs. Logic and homogeneity BioWare. Logic and homogeneity.

JediMasterAlex
11.22.2020 , 03:29 PM | #4
I highly doubt they'll ever change existing flairs. Your best bet is to lobby for changes to future flairs.

LinkinPein
11.22.2020 , 04:53 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterAlex View Post
I highly doubt they'll ever change existing flairs. Your best bet is to lobby for changes to future flairs.
They did reduce the ridiculous size of S8 flairs.

Sertar
11.26.2020 , 01:33 AM | #6
Interesting. When I compare them next to each other ( S9 ; S11 ) I agree that S9 looks quite nice, but for some reason I'm using the newer ones on pretty much every toon I have. I guess they are more.. shiny?

LinkinPein
11.26.2020 , 09:45 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Sertar View Post
Interesting. When I compare them next to each other ( S9 ; S11 ) I agree that S9 looks quite nice, but for some reason I'm using the newer ones on pretty much every toon I have. I guess they are more.. shiny?
Thank you for taking the pics. It makes it easy to see how, although the textures are of the same quality, the drop-shadow effect on S9 flairs is on the shield rather than the number as with the case of S10-12 ones. This, together with the fact that the number is of the same color as the shield, makes the overall appearance rather fuzzy to "take in".

What you say about S11 flairs being more "shiny" is due to the fact that there is less contrast of colours compared to S9 flairs and the lack of drop-shadow on the shield structure makes the shield and the fire effect appear as one.

There is one drop in quality, however, in S12 flairs: the font 12 does not seem to have antialiasing or whatever it is that prevents the number from showing rough edges.