Lightning Nerf Results

Hoppinswtor

After 3 parses, my highest was 9502 (51 percent crit with a couple mistakes) and my lowest was 9159 (47 percent crit played with very few mistakes). It's clear that the nerf was between 200 and 300 dps, because my 9503 parse would've easily been 9700 before the nerf, and my "mediocre" parses beforehand were about 9350.

The buff to shock seems to be an increase of about 100 dps, but I am losing a couple hundred dps on my heavy hitters and the forked lightning procs due to the nerfs.

http://parsely.io/parser/view/321410

http://parsely.io/parser/view/321406

Edited by Hoppinswtor

Overall what I expected and sustain is more than enough, although the burst did take a hit unfortunately.

Yeah, it should still be able to clear all content. The buff to shock does not make up for the nerf to burst, but hey, let's just turn all of PvP into a parsefest, eh?

"sustain" rdps IO merc has better burst than lightning now.

yep, 45k in 2 gcd's for IO versus 35-40k in 2 gcds with equal setup work. even madness can be just as bursty as lightning if you set it up right (demolish into recklessness force leech/death field with dots is about 35k in the span of 2 gcds).

Edited by Hoppinswtor

yep, 45k in 2 gcd's for IO versus 35-40k in 2 gcds with equal setup work. even madness can be just as bursty as lightning if you set it up right (demolish into recklessness force leech/death field with dots is about 35k in the span of 2 gcds).

yeah for madness to compensate for burst I sometimes (knowing a fight and when I need burst) -1.) pre-cast galvanized cleance (with utility) ->when target appears 0.) recklessness 1.) instant Demolish 1.5) (optional) polarity shift 2.) death field 3.) Affliction 4.) Force Leech 5.) (Creeping Terror) - or depending on targets health straight to force lightning->lightning strike 2x

that leads in my experience to 40-42K in 2 gcds if using recklessness to auto crit.

I think that utility can also work to make something like mind crush on Lightning instant but for any dps increase you have to pre-cast cleanse - no use casting it for the instant ability when a target is already there.

I'll still main lightning but madness will be doing more damage in most situations, including pvp (unless teams are stacking perfectly for force storm and chain lightning and the fights don't last too long for the sake of force management). Edited by Hoppinswtor

I'll still main lightning but madness will be doing more damage in most situations, including pvp (unless teams are stacking perfectly for force storm and chain lightning and the fights don't last too long for the sake of force management).

I wondered if the nerf badly affected PvP, seems like you just confirmed my thought. :/

I wondered if the nerf badly affected PvP, seems like you just confirmed my thought. :/

Yeah, games where I'd normally hit 6500 as Lightning are now yielding 6k at most. The nerf is more noticable in PvP, where multiple players will be stacked for the (weakened) Chain Lightning and you won't really have as many chances to stand still and cast crushing darkness + shock for the dps gain.

Edited by Hoppinswtor

I did some parsing on 500K just to see how the upfront burst suffered. Based on several parses I think on lightning you'll be very lucky to get 10,2K or there abouts on really good crit, while madness does like 10,4K-10,7K on really good crit on that hp pool. Oh and lucky arsenal parses over 11K on the 500K - so yeah-burst actually got nerfed by bioware in their infinate wisdom, on a ranged burst class which already had one of the weaker bursts because of the two dots needed to setup the burst.

As more parses come in I would say the spec has not really been nerfed at least for PvE. Sustain is just a tiny bit lower than it was previously but the rng is more consistent now so all in all "average dps" output has probably not really been affected from pull to pull. Also just as on carnage mara spec certain things are left out of dps calculation - clipping on carnage, force speed procs on lightning which means it is definately above the other burst damage specs in terms of sustain if you use those tricks. I am happy for the changes or at least don't mind them (strictly from a dps point of view - lightning is still noticeably squishier than madness). While I play both sorc specs I kind of like playing the dot spec a bit more though and wish it were a bit harder hitting as it does have more setup time then lightning from target to target.