Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Best Voice Acting?

DomiSotto
05.09.2014 , 09:51 AM | #91
Quote:
My favorite from what I have heard so far was Female Smuggler, and my least favorite - the Male Smuggler.
My new least favorite is SI Female. She sounds like she has a chewing gum in her mouth. Oh, well. I hope she grows on me like the Consular did.

Ridickilis
05.09.2014 , 10:49 AM | #92
Favorite VA in game is the male sith warrior 11/10. So much so I rolled 5 (between juggs and marauders) and still haven't heard the female version.

I also enjoyed the female agent voice acting. The only other female toons I have is a councilor and knight. Neither are that bad but I didn't think they were as good as the fem-agent.

Male trooper, male inquisitor and male knight were all okay, middle of the pack. Nothing terrible, couple of good moments, but not spectacular.

The worst one for me was the male councilor. Dishonorable mentions for the male smuggler and male agent.

Palidasus
06.26.2015 , 01:49 PM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by vandurlast View Post
Consular Male 10/10

It blows my mind that people don't think this is good! He is so calm, confident and arrogant in an unassuming and benevolent way. I love how he comes across as nothing fazes him or causes him to doubt that his way ( the Jedi way) is the best way. I love how even in the face of overwhelming danger he calmly assures the weak and defenseless that they should not be afraid, that they are safe now, he will protect them. The idea that he could fail to do so or that he is in any danger himself, never seems to occur to him and he's so confident about it that it makes others believe it too.

Honestly the Consular voice is what hooked me on this game. It's why I can't seem to settle on any class as an Alt, none of them have that special epicness that Nolan North gives to a LS Consular.
YES!! Finally! I could not for the life of me understand why Male Consular was rated so low or even dumped upon by nearly everybody. I found these same vocal traits inspiring, and the above does a great job of getting at why.

This is the only character I've really played in depth so far, granted; and sometimes I ended up inadvertently making a conversation choice I didn't really want to make, where he ended up saying something that made him sound like a pompous jerk... I can understand a bit of what people are saying...

But I had the good fortune / happy accident of designing a toon who looked like he fit the voice PERFECTLY, and it just made the whole experience for me. Whenever my toon spoke, he just came alive, like it was really him talking. I made a body 2 Miraluka with the leather veil (kind of like sunglasses in effect, only not douchey-looking), young and lean-looking face, clean-shaven with a slight shadow; but I gave him a deep scar that looked like it was made by a blade along one cheek, and ruffled, bleached-out hair like he'd been through some stuff that had really taken a lot out of him. I made him a Sage. This was my first play-through of the game and I knew absolutely nothing about the Consular story beforehand, so imagine how happy I was to discover the Chapter 1 story, with the shielding technique that was literally draining him. I got to play my own back-story that I'd imagined!

I really wanted to play light-side, and I wanted to play an idealized, heroic version of myself, and for the longest time I've had this idea that real strength is strength in restraint. So before I clicked any of my conversation choices, I was reading between the lines and thinking about what the choices really implied about what my toon would say, and tried to pick the one that would best fit this persona.

I occasionally picked something a little sarcastic when he was talking to someone who was full of crap, to give him a bit more color, but for the most part, I played him as a character who was sincere and really wanted to do the right thing. I played him as someone who's ultimate allegiance was to the greater good and not just to the Republic. I played him as someone who wanted to spare his enemy's life whenever possible, who reassured defenseless people who were afraid, and who did not have a big ego. I played him as serene, genuinely compassionate and selfless. I played him as someone who would speak truth to power and who would not cross certain lines, but who was warm and friendly with most people.

All I can say is the Consular vocals were seemingly made for this. There were bland spots yes, where he was just simply doing his duty ("the Jedi way is to serve"... argh!), but overall the more I played the more my character seemed like a real person-- a realistic yet genuinely good person-- and the more I played that way, the more I liked him. As the poster I quoted said, it was that calm strength under fire that really sold it. What's more, I was gaining life insights through the storyline playing this way, and it was like I was getting to test out the kind of person I actually want to be, and being very pleasantly surprised by the results.

The whole Miraluka thing worked well for this too; somehow not being able to see his eyes gave me more freedom of expression, and made him both more cool and more believable. This is the opposite of what I would have expected from an eye-covering, but I think it meant the animators couldn't screw up his acting by injecting eye animations that didn't fit the dialog choice.

TL;DR - There is a way to play Male Consular that makes being a good guy amazingly cool, and the voice acting is perfect for this.

My point being - TRY IT, if you think you're the kind of person who might appreciate this - and enjoy!!
10/10

Azut
06.26.2015 , 02:23 PM | #94
Athena Karkanis AKA JCFemale why? If you don't play Diablo 3 you'll never understand
Way too many alts for the signature to handle!

Amadahy
06.27.2015 , 07:43 AM | #95
It's so hard for me to pick a favorite because I LOVE female Smuggler (Kath Soucie) and Female Agent (Jo Wyatt) and Grey DeLisle as female bounty hunter.
Alcaeus Legacy
Agent Melena
Harbinger/Shadowlands

Noobishlord
06.27.2015 , 03:23 PM | #96
Quote: Originally Posted by Palidasus View Post
Spoiler
I'll admit, the Nolan North's job with the consular voice is starting to grow on me since I made a Miraluka. Though it took playing through as a Sith Inquisitor first before I could play a Miraluka without being freaked out. The cold, expressionless Sith masks took some adapting too, but they were so amazing to look at. Especially the one I have my Darth Imperious wearing. Best as I can describe it is that it's like a pope hat, but with a plan, face-less mask. And mine is orange with white trim. It's really so awesome to look at.

But I digress, and am getting really far off topic.

A personal favorite voice of mine is the Male Sith Inquisitors'. He does a deadpan snarker routine very well. And snarkiness is always good in my books. I also enjoy the Male Sith Warrior's, as he fits the class story very well. Good ol' Varric as a Trooper is pretty good, though I think he may've done a better role as the Smuggler. But that's just me.
Oh for the love of little green tomatoes...

My obligatory referral link.

Emeroo
06.28.2015 , 10:33 AM | #97
Kinda funny how your like or dislike for a voice can change depending on how you make your character look and how you play them...

Overall though, I think most all of the voices are well suited.

My favorites are female agent (easily tops, and she's often switching accents for missions - always spot on), female inquisitor, female smuggler and both male/female warrior.

The only voices that lull me to sleep are both male and female consular. Since it's the same class, I tend to wonder if it is just that class / story. Everything is maybe supposed to be said with calm and restraint? Often just comes off as boring instead of awesome to me.

Veronyka
06.29.2015 , 02:08 AM | #98
Quote: Originally Posted by Amadahy View Post
It's so hard for me to pick a favorite because I LOVE female Smuggler (Kath Soucie) and Female Agent (Jo Wyatt) and Grey DeLisle as female bounty hunter.

Yeah these are my favourites too, especially female BH. I also love Crysta Markon's voice acting and phrases; the whole "southern gal" thing really suits a hunter I think.
The Hunting Lodge (ToFN)
Ashigaru (lvl60 Powertech)
Kodora (lvl60 Mercenary)
May your quarry fall before you hunter.

NeuroniaSW
06.30.2015 , 10:23 PM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by Amadahy View Post
YEah I LOVE LOVE LOVE the female Bounty Hunter, she sounds so assertive and arrogant and sarcastic, great acting there. Female Agent is one of my tops as well.

Honorable mention to Male Smuggler, at the start he sounded like he should be on the Flintstones but it really grew on me.
--Star Forge--

Neuronia, Ursule, La'nikki'thelle,Neg-ronia,Pursomous

Kelleth
07.01.2015 , 02:48 AM | #100
While I think all the actors does a great job(Except the Consular actors, but that is because I personaly do not like anything about the class or story)

I especially like the female smuggler and male Warrior.
The Smuggler, at least until Makeb, is extremely cute and funny, while in the Hutt expansion, it sounds like she has a sore throat most of the time.
The Warrior is awesome through and through, Dark side, light side, it doesn't matter, he nails it every time.

Dark side female Knight is also cool, really hits the whole "annoyed with the jedi rules thing" on the head =)
Jun'ko Zane - Level 70 Commando - The Red Eclipse.
Selina Wren - Level XX Mercenary - The Red Eclipse.