Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Companion DPS

Gelgaroth
06.22.2015 , 03:03 AM | #1
I know each type of companion you use is obviously a personal preference, but I hardly end up using a dps companion, either melee or ranged, since I usually tank or heal, so I often use the opposite. Is there any class that you guys seems to work rather well using a ranged or melee dps companion? Asking in light of new expansion being revealed, and since I am sub, I'll get the new companion, and he appears to be ranged dps (assuming cuz 2 pistols), and I wanna use him, so would like a class that could make use of him.

RoboArthurDayne
06.23.2015 , 02:20 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Gelgaroth View Post
I know each type of companion you use is obviously a personal preference, but I hardly end up using a dps companion, either melee or ranged, since I usually tank or heal, so I often use the opposite. Is there any class that you guys seems to work rather well using a ranged or melee dps companion? Asking in light of new expansion being revealed, and since I am sub, I'll get the new companion, and he appears to be ranged dps (assuming cuz 2 pistols), and I wanna use him, so would like a class that could make use of him.
I have a Sith Juggernaut tank and a Powertech Shield Tank (both in Ziost 190 for similar gearing comparison) and usually do the Yavin 4 Dallies once a week for companion legacy gear and even though I am comfy with ranged or melee dps companions I still have to heal once in a while or at least give my companion time to heal. So there is some downtime, not even a point of debate on this these two toons.

I find the range and melee dps companions AND tank companions are good if you are a healer or have sufficient healing ability that you can keep them up, even at 60 with 192 legacy gear doing dallies because they are still squishy against similar level enemies. The only time they don't need any support is if the enemy is like 5 levels or more below them.

The general exception I found to all this is with Treek. Treek can heal, tank and dps very well with good aoe & single target damage and while running as a Tank, Treek heals AND kills the enemy pretty fast as if she was ranged dps. When I play a healer or dps and have Treek in tank mode, she is pretty awesome at surviving with very little heals and can tear apart the enemy quickly.

Basically the companions are so squishy (even in 192 gear) that you either have to tank for them, heal them or obliterate the enemy quick enough so that out of combat regen doesn't have to work long to appear full health. A DPS build with DPS companion works too but there will be some downtime since both you and companion will take damage from the enemy, unless again, you severely outlevel the enemy 5+

In summary, I also hardly ever use dps companions and mainly play around with them to try out gear setups and rescue them when they are about to die (yes, even in 192 legacy gear against level 60 normal mobs), exception to this is the great self healing Treek. I use dps companions as ornaments or non essential tools because it looks cool having a lightsaber or gunslinger companion fighting the mobs too. The Solo Flashpoints with the GSIdroid healing means I can use the DPS companions and not worry too much about them getting killed.

But usually I just go heals or go Treek.

KevMeup
06.26.2015 , 02:33 PM | #3
I would highly recommend a Melee DPS companion for dailies on any character. If you are on a dps and you just really enjoy doing the damage on your own, a healer companion may still be a good choice for you. If you are on a healer or tank, DPS is excellent as you can take a couple hits while they burn down everything. Companion Tanks have not been viable since 2.0 hit, as players received major buffs to damage reduction, but companions did not. Ranged DPS, although pretty darn cool looking is much lower than a dot spec melee dps companion.

I have some parse data in my guide (see sig), but in general:

Melee DPS in Dot Spec: 1700 dps
Melee DPS in AP spec: 1300 dps
HK: 1100 (single target only)
Ranged DPS: 1000 (single and AOE)
Tank or heals dps: -800

Especially in a long fight like Revan, you'll want to use a melee DPS. They can parse up to 2900 in the fight, where as HK has not parsed over 1700 in the fight. He's super bugged.

Although I'm very hopeful that the new companion will be better balanced, there is nothing to say that he'll perform better than the standard ranged dps of 1000 dps so far.
Kevgent - <Show Me Your Crits> - The Harbinger
My companion parses over 5k dps in HM Star Fortress, does yours?
Companion Use and Optimization Guide

Gelgaroth
06.28.2015 , 09:11 PM | #4
I was mostly asking because he looks ******, and seeing as he uses two pistols, would be ranged dps, so I wanted a class that works well with dps companions. Right now I'm a vigilance guardian, and only just got kira and haven't tested a whole lot on coruscant, but we're headed to taris, so should be fun.