Lightning Problems

Psygenic

No armor penetration for energy based lightning abilities and kinetic based Crushing Darkness.

No way to mitigate the 10% internal damage reduction of the Inquisitor class buff.

Solution: Convert all Lightning abilities and Crushing Darkness to Elemental based abilities.

And for God's sake, if you can't remove the animation delay on casted abilities, then lower the cast time of all casted abilities by 0.2 seconds, so spot-casting becomes a viable tactic. This wont increase total DPS because those abilities will still be limited by the GCD, it'll just make them easier to get off in PvP.

Edited by Psygenic

Various suggested changes:

Increase the duration of Fulgurous Fortification (5%x3 damage reduction on Lightning Bolt) to 15 or 20 seconds. 10 seconds is too hard to manage without spam casting.

Increase the duration of the Lightning Flash cast time buff for Crushing Darkness to 15 or 20 seconds. The duration of the buff is shorter than the cooldown of Crushing Darkness and often expires before the cooldown is up.

Edited by Psygenic
Lightning Flash buff duration.

The issue with converting a Ling sorc's dmg to elemental is that it sets a rough precedent for other specs that use lightning/telekenetic attacks, and changing all of those attacks to elemental would really kinda defeat the purpose of armor to begin with if half the specs in the game are throwing elemental spells around. Furthermore, if ALL of Ling's damage were internal and elemental, it would be way too good at eating through tanks and heavy armor classes - double Ling tank tunnel would be a silly comp. I'd be fine with converting Thundering Blast and Lightning Flash to elemental; everything else should stay as is. It would be a decent compromise and wouldn't mess with dps too much. I'm not so sure I agree with reducing the cast time even further; Ling already has quite a bit of interrupt immunity and with alacrity the cast times are as low as 1.1 seconds as it is. Your other suggestions seem fair if set to 15 seconds; 20 is overkill. Edited by Hoppinswtor

I don't see a problem with Lightning having 100% armor mitigation since Sorcs basically have no armor themselves after armor penetration. The amount of Lightning damage that is mitigated by armor is far too high compared to the damage the Sorc will be taking him/herself. Remember, glass cannon.

As far as other specs having elemental damage; with the exception of Crushing Darkness, all of Lightning's rotational direct damage abilities are unique to the spec. So I don't see how it would be a problem to convert them to elemental damage.