New Crafting Mats tab is underwhelming

HoloTweed

After playing with it a bit, I have to agree that while the mats vault was a good idea to add (possibly one of the best in the expansion), it was implemented poorly. I mean, it's still more free storage and that's nice, I'm not going to knock that. However, the lack of ability to sort by grade or rarity of material is a bit aggravating. You end up having to mouse over everything instead to see what grades of materials you are lacking and which are okay to sell or craft with. Also, while it's a nice feature in theory for gathered mats to go straight into the vault without you having to move them yourself from your inventory, the lack of flyover text or chat window feedback as to what mats you've acquired is a definite oversight.

All in all, nice thought, flawed execution. The feature could easily be made more than acceptable with some tweaking, but who knows when or if EA will deign to do that.

Edited by AscendingSky

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After playing with it a bit, I have to agree that while the mats vault was a good idea to add (possibly one of the best in the expansion), it was implemented poorly. I mean, it's still more free storage and that's nice, I'm not going to knock that. However, the lack of ability to sort by grade or rarity of material is a bit aggravating. You end up having to mouse over everything instead to see what grades of materials you are lacking and which are okay to sell or craft with. Also, while it's a nice feature in theory for gathered mats to go straight into the vault without you having to move them yourself from your inventory, the lack of flyover text or chat window feedback as to what mats you've acquired is a definite oversight.

All in all, nice thought, flawed execution. The feature could easily be made more than acceptable with some tweaking, but who knows when or if EA will deign to do that.

My impression overall is simply that this is a starting point. They got this tab into something of a workable space, and because it's now workable they released it to us because it would free up a lot of inventory space.

I actually expect the spit and polish to come in later releases as they keep improving on it.

Edited by ZionHalcyon

Quite seriously, yep.

And hey, that's great. I was very enthusiastic when the Mats Vault was announced. And I certainly didn't say that they had no use at all. I simply said they were half-done. Incomplete. Could be so much better.

So... basically, because I find this iteration lacking and incomplete, I should not be allowed to use it at all? Or not allowed to point out that it's only half-done if I DO use it? Yeah, that makes so much sense!

So... since I commented on how I find one new element underwhelming and incomplete, I must therefore HAVE TO dislike every single other change made in 6.0? I'm not sure where you learned about logic and how to use it... but you're doing it wrong.

You need to understand that people can only judge a post by what you actually write, and it will be taken literally. (Literally is a term taken from "literature" and reflects this fact quite well.) They do not have the context of your thoughts to judge it against. When your post sets a negative tone, it will get replies based on that. It would have been much different if you had written something along the lines of "The new materials tab is great, but I would like to suggest that at some future time the devs could add these options to make it really awesome!" Adding something along the lines of "And those other improvements are great, which makes this even more apparent" helps create a more neutral tone to your post, and show that you aren't coming down on the update as a whole.

And yes, when you set a negative tone about a new game feature, your readers will naturally assume you are negative about other aspects of the update as well. Any good criticism will include positives as well as negatives. (Which is why even product reviews will list pros and cons, rather than just bash everything, unless the item being reviewed is total junk.)

As in other matters in life, how you say something is equally, if not more, important than what you say. You may find it helpful when posting, especially if saying something that can be taken negatively, to take a moment to step away before posting, then re-reading it with the mindset of a third party, who is seeing it for the first time. I personally tend to over-write things due to this phenomena, but feel it's better than being misunderstood. Having a lighter tone helps in all aspects (other than maybe a eulogy) but do be careful, as the literal reading of a piece loses the tone and inflection found in speaking, so a joke can not only fall flat, but come across as hateful or sarcastic when it's not meant to be. I wrote what I did in response to not only your words but your tone, as have others. Nothing illogical about it.

Why am I taking the time to write all this? Because I think you are actually a pretty decent sort, and not as negatively minded as your writing style suggests. I also get the impression that you are young (easily younger than me, I'm an old codger who certainly isn't getting any younger) and intelligent enough to really succeed in life with a few pointers from us old curmudgeons to help you along the way. So learn to take criticism, take nothing personally (other than physical attacks of course), don't take differing opinions confrontation-ally, and you'll go far.

You need to understand that people can only judge a post by what you actually write, and it will be taken literally. (Literally is a term taken from "literature" and reflects this fact quite well.) They do not have the context of your thoughts to judge it against. When your post sets a negative tone, it will get replies based on that. It would have been much different if you had written something along the lines of "The new materials tab is great, but I would like to suggest that at some future time the devs could add these options to make it really awesome!" Adding something along the lines of "And those other improvements are great, which makes this even more apparent" helps create a more neutral tone to your post, and show that you aren't coming down on the update as a whole.

And yes, when you set a negative tone about a new game feature, your readers will naturally assume you are negative about other aspects of the update as well. Any good criticism will include positives as well as negatives. (Which is why even product reviews will list pros and cons, rather than just bash everything, unless the item being reviewed is total junk.)

As in other matters in life, how you say something is equally, if not more, important than what you say. You may find it helpful when posting, especially if saying something that can be taken negatively, to take a moment to step away before posting, then re-reading it with the mindset of a third party, who is seeing it for the first time. I personally tend to over-write things due to this phenomena, but feel it's better than being misunderstood. Having a lighter tone helps in all aspects (other than maybe a eulogy) but do be careful, as the literal reading of a piece loses the tone and inflection found in speaking, so a joke can not only fall flat, but come across as hateful or sarcastic when it's not meant to be. I wrote what I did in response to not only your words but your tone, as have others. Nothing illogical about it.

Why am I taking the time to write all this? Because I think you are actually a pretty decent sort, and not as negatively minded as your writing style suggests. I also get the impression that you are young (easily younger than me, I'm an old codger who certainly isn't getting any younger) and intelligent enough to really succeed in life with a few pointers from us old curmudgeons to help you along the way. So learn to take criticism, take nothing personally (other than physical attacks of course), don't take differing opinions confrontation-ally, and you'll go far.

Bless you for taking the time to write all that out. I don't have the patience anymore. We'll see if that generation takes it to heart.

Bless you for taking the time to write all that out. I don't have the patience anymore. We'll see if that generation takes it to heart.

Thank you!

I am kicking myself for forgetting to add the other important aspect of this, which is:

“At the end of the day people won't remember what you said or did, they will remember how you made them feel.”

― Dr. Maya Angelou

One should always remember that when setting the tone with their writing, speech or actions.

(OK, feel better getting that in, even if a bit late.) :)

You need to understand that people can only judge a post by what you actually write, and it will be taken literally.

I DO understand that. Which is why I responded as to how ridiculous it is to start making presumptions that because I think one feature is half-baked I somehow think EVERYTHING is awful. There just is no logic to that and there's no reason why anyone should leap to such an extreme conclusion especially without any additional context.

And yes, when you set a negative tone about a new game feature, your readers will naturally assume you are negative about other aspects of the update as well.

No, not intelligent or sensible ones. Especially when the original criticism isn't a frothing stream of howling anger... when the actual criticism is "underwhelming." How could ANYONE then extend that to include hating every other new feature? That's just an unthinking way to try to dismiss a criticism by illogically taking it to an extreme of including everything else too. Sorry. Doesn't fly.

I personally tend to over-write things due to this phenomena, but feel it's better than being misunderstood.

You should worry more about not making sense, because this argument doesn't. It is everything illogical. I'm certain I'm older than you (definitely wiser since you don't seem to get what logic is and how to use it). I honestly don't think there's any pointer you can give me that I don't know and know better... in return, I suggest you look up what logical fallacies are and start marking down how you commit many of them.

Good luck, curmudgeon.

You should worry more about not making sense, because this argument doesn't. It is everything illogical. I'm certain I'm older than you (definitely wiser since you don't seem to get what logic is and how to use it). I honestly don't think there's any pointer you can give me that I don't know and know better... in return, I suggest you look up what logical fallacies are and start marking down how you commit many of them.

Good luck, curmudgeon.

Your argument throughout this thread has been "I don't agree with you, therefore your opinion is invalid." It's a very arrogant and dismissive attitude, which might explain why people are disinterested in pursuing a civil dialogue with you. Seeing you respond to Zion, eh, he's not putting much effort in, so that's fair. Seeing you respond just as contemptuously to Faelwolf, who tried to have a discussion with you? Yeah, my sympathy dried up after seeing this. Keep crying about trolls who make the offense of *disagreeing* with you. I'm sure BW will get right on that injustice.

It really wasn't.

It's as bad as ESO baseline, non-modded, inventory - and that was out-of-date and shamefully without function by the gaming standards of a decade ago.

All The Best

Exactly. It was done the cheapest, fastest way possible. It NEEDs more sorting options. At least. Alphabetically is the worst option possible.

I am still not sure, if I get the stuff back out of it to better display it. Time will tell.

Thank you!

I am kicking myself for forgetting to add the other important aspect of this, which is:

“At the end of the day people won't remember what you said or did, they will remember how you made them feel.”

― Dr. Maya Angelou

One should always remember that when setting the tone with their writing, speech or actions.

(OK, feel better getting that in, even if a bit late.) :)

So.... wait, in your first post in this thread, you do sort of attack the op starting off with a rather sarcastic "seriously?", and then go on to make assumptions that he never wrote about in this thread....

To OP:

....Wow, I guess you don't like the new stats layout that gives you the armor rating and stats at a glance, or the new easier to identify merchant bank and mail icons either. I suppose the Superior Renown boosts now being stackable is just dreadful to you too. And to top it all off, along with all that newly opened bank space we can buy an additional tab for us pack rats to fill up as well. Of all the things to possibly complain about, you pick the huge QOL update?

Then in your third post, your become the wise old jedi, which came off condescending and a little creepy. You explain how you overemphasize your writing to take a higher tone, yet the previous "you" didn't seem to take your own advice.

You need to understand.... Condescending right out of the gate.

And yes, when you set a negative tone about a new game feature, your readers will naturally assume you are negative about other aspects of the update as well.... Assumption. I understood he was only talking about the crafting inventory.

Any good criticism will include positives as well as negatives.... Did we see positives in your first post?

That is some seriously condescending "ew-ness!"

"Listen to my soft voice. I'm being polite as I stab this dagger in your chest, you incorrect, young child you." :p

For the record, I'm 49. :)

Edited by Zerileth

Told you he wouldn't get it.

He's more interested in his emotions being validated than rational thought.

Which makes him utterly unreachable.

You did come off snarky and attacking, and when you got it back, it read like you took the offense and were no longer being humorous. Maybe take some advice from the wise old jedi above, that doesn't seem to take his own advice. :confused:

I just harvested a node and got no announcement in my chat display. I have no idea if I even got anything.

This is something that would be great if BioWare can fix it, I even went into my chat options to see if there was something in there to turn on to get the message (useful when gathering for hours.....).

It was done well.

I think it could be improved upon, massively. As it is I'm not using it aside from what I'm collecting, my legacy bays are going to remain the same for the time being (I even purchased an extra tab due to how poorly this has been implemented).

I too would like different options on how the materials are sorted in their categories.

For those of us who have a lot of materials, being able to see at a glance what we have, without having to scroll down a list, would be more preferable. Even having a "favourites" checkbox to raise certain materials to the top of the list would be useful.

As for how they are displayed – I suppose sorting options would be nice, but really, I never look to see how many I have of a mat until I go to craft something, and then the crafting menu will show me how many I have/how many I need. So, /shrug.

That's fine if you only do incidental crafting, however when mass crafting items some planning in advance is useful, being able to see how many Treasure Hunting materials for example, prior to sending off 20 companions across various characters to gather those materials. So sorting options are a "must have" for this to be useful.

I'm going to be a nay sayer here. It wasn't done well at all. It's contrived and confusing, especially for someone like me who has OCD. My brain can't see any usable organization to it. It's as though they just put a box out for stuff to be dumped into any old way. I had anticipated to see it like this:

1) It would be a storage item set up exactly like a Cargo Hold or Legacy Storage, with tabs at the bottom for each crafting discipline clearly labeled: Artifice, Armstech, Armormech, etc.

2) As you gathered for any of the disciplines the mats would automatically be sent to the proper tab upon accepting the reward.

3) The tabs would be user friendly to allow you to set up the mats inside of it in an order that works for YOU.

4) Items received from Companion missions for Underworld, Investigation, Slicing, Diplomacy, etc, would automatically go into the tab for the discipline it was set up for. Since a few of the crafting disciplines use some of the same items, you could arrange which tab you want it to go to. Again it would be user friendly to allow for self customization.

5) The storage facility would be the same size as a fully unlocked Cargo or Legacy hold with six tabs, 80 slots per tab.

THIS is what I expected, what I had envisioned, not an empty junk box. I do not intend to use it. I'll just purchase an additional tab for my Cargo and Legacy Holds and keep my brain happy with my current organization. Sorry people, but I had expected so much better than what we got.

This is also close to what I expected (I actually expected it to be very similar to the legacy bays, so you can sort materials into separate bays depending on preference). Definitely not what we were given.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it isn't a welcome addition, but it's a poorly implemented addition. At least it'll free up my character inventory when gathering I guess.

I'm not saying it isn't a welcome addition

But it isn't. Choosing between no mat. storage and the poorly implemented one, no storage is a way better option.

At least, you don't have to take out your mats from the mat. storage into character's inventory first before placing them into the legacy storage that way.

Agreed. For the time being, I'm actually holding off on putting older mats into it (and actively pulling them out to store in my Legacy bank if they make their way in). I know that if I put everything in there, it will just be an unmitigated mess. Maybe I'm just "anal," but I like my mats carefully organized and structured so that I know EXACTLY how much I have of what.

I would prefer they made this similar to our banks/inventory where we could move things around and organize as we please. For those who don't care, they could just throw things in willy-nilly and be fine, but for those of use who do, we could organize to our heart's content.

For now, for those who like things neat and organized, I recommend a combination of Legacy Bank and the mats tab. People who didn't store their mats in their Legacy bank prior to 6.0 just blow my mind. It was BY FAR the easiest, most efficient to organize and store your mats. If you can't see that this new system is half-assed and lacking the features of the Legacy Bank, then you CLEARLY aren't a real crafter and need to **** of this discussion.

I would definitely prefer sorting options, and I implore the devs to implement them. They should be sorted by quality by default, in my opinion. Still, I welcome this first iteration (crosses fingers) for now. I'm more a hoarder than a crafter, I guess. :p

I can understand how the new crafting mats tab is a boon for some players, but I'm not one of them. I'd be pleased with it with two bits of functionality.

One: The ability to opt out of using it. I'd be very happy if there was an option to bypass the new crafting mats tab.

Two: At least the ability to assign which mat grades go to the crafting mats tab. With all these grade 11 mats coming in three flavors (Premium, Prototype, and Artifact)-- and what the hell is up with that -- I'd be happy to at least be able to relegate all grade 11 mats to the new crafting mats tab.

Alone, the crafting mat tab isn't going to make me rage, but it isn't in the plus column for me, either. I am far more happy and excited by Cargo bays and Legacy storage now being able to have up to 7 tabs. I love that.

look I completely agree with you that the crafting that window has room to improve.

Well, that's end of thread right there. Despite your arguing this whole time, you agree with me.

My objection really is with the op and the attitude that all his materials should have been moved for him. That and the spitting on something we never had before that is extremely helpful for us Crafters.

I said the implementation was half-baked. That it is underwhelming. You have actually agreed. So how is ANY of that "spitting on something"? That's something you've cooked up in your head to give you some kind of high ground to White Knight the issue. But I never "spit" on anything. You immediately attacked me and then seemed shocked that I defended my position.

but even if he did just disagree that would be fine. but if you look at it in his attitude is he hates it and everyone should hate it with him.

Once again... you're simply making that up. I NEVER said I "hated" the Crafting Mats Tab. NEVER. In fact, I said SEVERAL times that I've been looking forward to this but found the execution lacking. On the other hand, YOU decided to become Addicted To Outrage and began a barrage of insults and derogatory comments directed AT ME. And now you want to take the high road?

I can't abide anyone, even if it was unintentional, putting out and demanding such groupthink. And then acting emotionally stunted when called on it and doubling down.

Wow, there's some entitlement. We are all here based on whether you can "abide" us or our statements? And the description of behavior here belongs to YOU... acting emotionally stunted ("I know you are but what am I?") when called on your poor behavior. You came in, decided to White Knight this, followed me into another thread and jumped on me without cause, admitted to trolling behavior and now you're reverting back to outrage.

Sorry, mate, but I've just been defending myself against your unwarranted assaults. Maybe look in the mirror instead of trying to sling your outrage and finding ways to justify it.

And others kinder than me proved in trying to engage with him that it is simply impossible to reason with him. So rather than get all ragey, I opted simply to be silly and have some fun. Life's too short.

First, I haven't been "ragey" but you and these "others" you speak of have gone out of their way to portray me as angry and hating everything in 6.0. They've condescended in their "engagement," trying to portray themselves as all wise and me (and my comments) the rantings of some youngster with control issues. All not true. Second... yes, you've been silly, but you've never been fun nor funny. You've chosen to be a troll. Good on you, but certainly no high road.

But on the whole I completely agree that there's more that can be done

Which was my point ALL ALONG. Once again, you agree with me. All of this has just been some exercise in exposure for you, truly much ado about nothing. One doesn't have to lavish praise on something before pointing out the flaws and expressing disappointment. I never said I hated the Mats Tab. Almost everything you've tried to characterize about me is either wrong or grossly exaggerated.

When it's all said and done: YOU AGREE WITH ME. So there we go.

My objection really is with the op and the attitude that all his materials should have been moved for him. That and the spitting on something we never had before that is extremely helpful for us Crafters.

Far from perfect true, but it's a great start!

I can't comment on the OP, I don't know him and typing words can be misconstrued (as you can attest to :p).

It is a boon, I mean it's handy for my Grade 11 mats until I have time to rejig my legacy bays :D I'm wondering what happens when you get to 9999 materials though, does it simply not pick up those materials, or does it start another stack?

I didn't know this was coming, so to me it was a very pleasant surprise. Discovered it by accident and within a minute I had 1,5 more storage bays available. I would prefer it wasn't legacy-wide, or that there were separate ones available for character and legacy, but it's still very nice. I understand people's complaint about no way of sorting even though I don't miss it myself.

5) The storage facility would be the same size as a fully unlocked Cargo or Legacy hold with six tabs, 80 slots per tab.

You overlooked something. Firstly, six tabs would cover the six crafting disciplines, but some crafts use the same mats - so which mats go into which tab?

Secondly, you've neglected the Mission disciplines like Underworld Trading etc. Where would those mats go? More tabs?

THIS is what I expected, what I had envisioned, not an empty junk box. I do not intend to use it. I'll just purchase an additional tab for my Cargo and Legacy Holds and keep my brain happy with my current organization. Sorry people, but I had expected so much better than what we got.

Be prepared to be upset when you discover that mats often go directly into the Mat storage**. You'd have to keep dragging them out of Mat storage to put them in Cargo/Legacy storage.

**EDIT - this may depend on the setting of the "deposit" button at the top left of the Inventory window.

Edited by JediQuaker

I love the extra space in my legacy storage, but the mats storage needs work badly.

1. All tabs should be closed be default.

2. It needs the option to sort by level, rarity, and quantity as well as by name.

3. Currently, if you searched for something, you lose the search results if you manipulate the mats (eg I searched for prefabs but every time I moved one out of storage, it went back to showing me the entire storage contents) this needs to be fixed.

4. Bring back the alert message when you gather something.

1.) actually not a bad idea, but need a collapse all/expand all button first

2.) I dunno I’m kinda in the same boat as other folks, do you NEED all that sorting? I mean, I guess if a guild member asked you, “hey, do you have any Grade 8 artifact medical supplies?” then the sort would be helpful. But, if I found I was out of them, I’d probably ask my guildies not for the “Grade 8 artifact medical supply” but “Autoimmune Regulators” which is why the alphabetical sort is a good first implementation.

3.) agreed.

4.). It’s on the known issues list already.