Does this game have anything going for it?

Aznil

My overall experience with this game has been very bitter-sweet, and wholly unsatisfactory, but the most frustrating part is that this game has a lot going for it. Is it buggy? Yes. Unrefined? Yes. Do the problems run deep than what a "little polish" will fix? Absolutely; however, at it's core you have a solid game system, excellent story-telling, and some very fun moments, as long as you stick to PvE. If you treat this game as an EQ2 style MMO, or as some have put it KOTOR3, then it leaves something to be desired in terms of refinement, but overall a decent gaming experience. The trouble is that this was not the game that Bioware marketed to us. They promised competitive, and innovative PvP elements that were as much, if not more of a draw to the game than it's solid PvE aspects; which also suffer from many of the same debilitating problems of the PvP side, but do the the slower paced nature of PvE is not such a deal breaker.

It would seem that the vast majority of the problems in this game stem from a buggy, irritating, and border line unplayable PvP element, which doesn't seem to be getting repaired anytime soon. With ability delays, unreliable spells, wonky game mechanics that fail to function--let alone function properly--this could very well prove to be the achilles heel of this MMO. It's the first time I've seen people more agitated about the playability of the game rather than game balance itself. As-a-matter-of-fact I can't tell which class are imbalanced, because very few classes seem to function as intended when in the PvP arena. If Bioware is sincere in making this game succeed they will forego additional content, and "game balancing" to produce what they should have already delivered in November, a smooth, polished, MMO experience.

As for me, I will spend the next few weeks playing through the story, and enjoying the quests, instead of doing what I really wanted, which was PvP. Hopefully by the time my free play period is up Bioware will have come to a more conclusive decision as to wether they will fix what is broken and take this venture seriously. If not, I will have gotten all the enjoyment I can out of this game, and move on to something else. Here's hoping for the best.

One thing it has going for it is that it's poised to be the most catastrophic MMO failure in the history of gaming. It's history in the making in that respect.

and you based that on what? so far this has surpassed the playablility of Vanguard SoH which was an epic failure at launch cause nothing worked correctly, it was grand in scale and revolutionary in some designs, truely a potential giant in MMOs but was WAY ahead of its operational time, and 6 months later Sigil could no longer afford to maintain it so they sold it to there partner SOE ... at least STTOR has something working pretty good at the start, although PvP and Ops seem to be buggy.

I really don't understand what people are complaining about. This has been the best MMO I have played and I have been playing MMOs since EQ1. What is so horrible that a little polish isn't going to fix?

Nothing really.

The only game breaking problem was Ilum and thats being hotfixed. Sure there are other bugs but nothing game breaking.

Everything else is nothing more than a, "Please cater to me and what I want - It doesn't fit me."

Other than Ilum nothing has been game breaking and like the vocal minority here - the loudest gets heard.

It's a shame on players really. Barely been out a month and players want the feel of a 7 year old game.

Makes us all look bad.

I want every new game to be flawless and bug free.. derp derp. This is something that comes up in every game including non mmos. Yes nothing comes out flawless and needs time, people who join such a games right away know this. It is a fact you have to accept.

I want every new game to be flawless and bug free.. derp derp. This is something that comes up in every game including non mmos. Yes nothing comes out flawless and needs time, people who join such a games right away know this. It is a fact you have to accept.

I really don't understand what people are complaining about. This has been the best MMO I have played and I have been playing MMOs since EQ1. What is so horrible that a little polish isn't going to fix?

Character creation blows compared to almost every other MMO out right now.

Graphics options broken or missing, less options than what the beta had.

Missing options (working) that games in 2003 had.

Ability delay that may or my not be because of the engine and fixable.

Skills like "full auto" and other channeled skills that are off animation by a large margin.

A patch that looks like it broke more than it fixed.

Spawn camping as a result of the patch.

Still no PvP brackets, just 10-49 and then 50's. Yeah the gear a level 20 has can really compete with level 40 PvP gear. :rolleyes:

People still having performance issues with pcs on or over the recommenced specs.

My overall experience with this game has been very bitter-sweet, and wholly unsatisfactory, but the most frustrating part is that this game has a lot going for it. Is it buggy? Yes. Unrefined? Yes. Do the problems run deep than what a "little polish" will fix? Absolutely; however, at it's core you have a solid game system, excellent story-telling, and some very fun moments, as long as you stick to PvE. If you treat this game as an EQ2 style MMO, or as some have put it KOTOR3, then it leaves something to be desired in terms of refinement, but overall a decent gaming experience. The trouble is that this was not the game that Bioware marketed to us. They promised competitive, and innovative PvP elements that were as much, if not more of a draw to the game than it's solid PvE aspects; which also suffer from many of the same debilitating problems of the PvP side, but do the the slower paced nature of PvE is not such a deal breaker.

It would seem that the vast majority of the problems in this game stem from a buggy, irritating, and border line unplayable PvP element, which doesn't seem to be getting repaired anytime soon. With ability delays, unreliable spells, wonky game mechanics that fail to function--let alone function properly--this could very well prove to be the achilles heel of this MMO. It's the first time I've seen people more agitated about the playability of the game rather than game balance itself. As-a-matter-of-fact I can't tell which class are imbalanced, because very few classes seem to function as intended when in the PvP arena. If Bioware is sincere in making this game succeed they will forego additional content, and "game balancing" to produce what they should have already delivered in November, a smooth, polished, MMO experience.

As for me, I will spend the next few weeks playing through the story, and enjoying the quests, instead of doing what I really wanted, which was PvP. Hopefully by the time my free play period is up Bioware will have come to a more conclusive decision as to wether they will fix what is broken and take this venture seriously. If not, I will have gotten all the enjoyment I can out of this game, and move on to something else. Here's hoping for the best.

At least pick an avatar and use paragraphs if you want to be taken seriously.

Story?

Oh wait, nope. Once you start leveling a second character... you realize how much Story shouldn't be in an MMO. And I loved the story element. But how many times can I possibly hear the same dialogue over and over and over and over... holy christ

SPACE BAR :o

I have played ME1 & ME2 six times and it sucked why? becuase I couldn't skip through everything. In swtor you can :D

Bugs/glitches/patch problems aside...

This game offers nothing that other games don't do better. (Besides voice acting)

So if you are here because you love Star Wars, then this is the place for you.

Ill agree, its a great first MMO, or MMO light.

Rift has better graphics, and graphics options with ui configs when it launched.

STO and APB have far better character customization.

Eve has PvP that matters, not just "lol I died repair bill" its my ship went boom and now it and everything on it is gone.

Wow has been the king for a reason.

TOR is good, I had 120 hours of fun. But its nothing special.