opinions and ideas

Ancient_Doom

After playing Bounty Hunter from 1 to 50, doing a little bit of everything along the way, i have some opinions.

Where to begin...

PvP:

I am annoyed. Only slightly at Bioware, but mostly at people. This is something that comes with pvp are stupid people. I am not gonna say i am pro. Not in the least. I still die quite often, but I find it amazing when people in Huttball will take the ball to OUR goal line. I also find it odd how every fight i am in concidentally my team doesnt understand what teamwork is while the opposing team actually heals and sticks together. i know it is a 50/50 chance of which team, but i find my bad luck somewhat humerous in an annoying way.

The overall ladder system is nice i think. how it is limited by your actual level and doesnt stick u with extreme pro players. Will be a while before the 50's stop overflowing the minor leagues as they gain points, but still.

The minor annoyance I get from the producers is entirely different. The method of gaining gear is very difficult to grasp without extensive research online. (the way of gaining different badges to get high-end gear), and I cant help but feel sorry for level 10-40's as i put them into the dust with my amount of abilities and talents. I am very happy that minor players still get a big stat-boost so i have found myself being beaten by them plenty of times, but I think it would be very nice if the lesser level gear still had some Expertise stats to help even out the difference. not much, but some. I only did PvP now and then, and the gear i gained from questing easily outdid all of the PvP geared players. I feel they devoted their time to pure PvP for nothing.

Also, the maps themselves. I dont have a problem with the maps specifically. I find them quite balanced. The problem is the fact that one is only EvA, one is only EvA, and the third is any combination of EvA EvE and AvA. I am very pleased a map is actually EvE and AvA (i hated how WoW was only HvA) but it would also be nice for others to also be EvE and AvA as well. 1-2 rounds of huttball in a row is nice. 3-4 is ok. 20 is annoying :p

this is probably due greatly in part to the overflow of Emperials.

another thing. I know the high-end gear includes nice bonuses to when you get multiple ones from a set. But i cannot see what the bonus is until i buy it. not sure if this is good or bad. On one hand, it is almost exciting like opening a present on christmas :p. Its like "OMG which ability will be buffed?" mystery, and on the other hand it makes you wonder if these bonuses even exist.

lastly, i found out pvp is isolated to individual servers. This is not really a good thing. Also, im not ranting and cussing or raging anything about it. But I know the pvp would become a lot fresher and varied if pvp-servers were merged. I know such an idea isnt new and doesnt take a genius to figure out. Because of that I have 100% faith in the fact that the producers already know that, and will do it in the future. Ive taken plenty of IT classes so i know the concept isnt exactly easy.

Crafting:

The ability to send crew members on a mission to gain resources I find is pure genius. When you have excessive crew, it is like they are just collecting dust. Now they can actually do things, and at the same time you can gain some resources while doing PvP, Pve, and space battles instead of spending HOURS running around collecting resources like in WoW. This does kinda even the playing field in that resources sometimes wont become rare and give people plenty of money while others are overproduced, and selling resources on the market wont be as cost-efficent for the trade-markets. Although on the other hand you only get a few resources at a time. So when you want to use the market, u can do it in large quantitys. unfortunately i have found almost no one selling resources yet.

Also it is nice to only have 1 actual crafting skill. Means there wont be an excessive amount of people crafting a million things. instead there will be an excessive amount of resources one day :p

Space Battles:

one word. wow.

At first i was thinking about space combat similar to star wars Battlefront2 (which was disappointing. u could have 30 ppl in one battle and never see each other unless u are an inch away.)

but instead i found it was very good. the action is constant, sometimes takes actual choices (which objective to fire on at the moment if there are multiple ones), sometimes takes simple skill (like firing at ships while trying not to get smashed against rocks flying around u) and you feel like your truly having to work for it to bring down the republic cruisers/fleet ships. I found it very refreshing when the weaker space battles were replaced with tougher ones as my ship-gear improved.

My first game ever was Starfox 64. this reminded me of that a lot. Action-packed and almost mindless slaughter arcade :p.

i do think space battles have potential for almost pvp aspects too. I know you follow a particular path, so you could have actual pvp out of that. Just make their paths intersect periodically and include objects you can destroy/protect. the side with the most points at the end of the time limit wins. They can vary quite a bit too. Like have an Emperial do a bomb run on a station while a republic guy is on an intercept for like 10 seconds. Or something more crazy and fun as having players dog-fight in an asteroid field. there might be moments your ally has an enemy stuck behind him and u can fight him off, or whatever.

another interesting idea i had was taking space battles to the surface. or rather orbit. Do an invasion before actually landing on the planet to do quests. You fly in from the ship and weave around buildings firing on cannons and orbital defenses. :) (evil points for shooting people on the street.) You can even had a brief monster account as u find yourself a little tooooo close to the ground in the wilds.

the whole orbital/invasion thing i think would fit best in a planet like nar shadaa where there are plenty of buildings, yet u arent too close to the ground to restrict movement.

the only bad things i find about space battles is the lack of ability to see objectives. I mean, you can see them for planets. But i have a bad memory and cant tell if i have a particular space battle as a quest. Perhaps put a symbol next to space battles u have quests for, or list the quest under them like you do planets.

pve:

The most integrating and well built part I believe.

Player development outside of storyline is a little bad, because the way the classes are designed is so similar to WoW that there isnt much originality except it is based on a sci-fi theme. but the WoW system works fine, so i dont think the producers took any real risks. I did however find the idea of Advanced classes very well. That is some originality and well designed i think.

the storyline and single-player feel though is what has truly drawn me into the game. You encounter players often and work together to do things, but instead of taking away from the single-player feel, it only expands on it. my friends and i did a group quest and argued to death over the result of each question and hope we would win the convorsation roll. "He lives!" "no he dies!" "but that is evil!" "exactly? >:)" and yell in victory or defeat as our desires came to light in the story. I am happy to say i mostly won when it matters so the cute girls lived without being sacrificed. this truly made it feel multi-player in the dungeons/group convorsations without losing any feel of being single-player.

I am still a fan of the original Old Republic Rpg's. And this single-player feel is very very similar. You still run around with compnaions, you still get light/evil choices, you still have an excellent story. I found the bounty hunter story to be amazingly simple yet fun. Being in a tournament style story made it exciting, and yet such a thing is simple. It was well designed to feel like that. (it just doesnt beat the original Revan story. sry. i do not think Bioware can possibly accomplish that.) It was very nice to visit planets i have influenced in the previous games. although it would be nice to visit Dxun and i think Malachor V would make a very nice 50+ level planet.

the only time i was disappointed in the story was when you found the cheater mandalorian trapped in his cell. He has been a thorn in your butt for so long, and i found his demise somewhat shallow. but still, there was more story to go with after him so i moved on.

also, the level of interaction with companions is incredible and disappointing at the same time. You talk a lot with one character and do lots of quests and story behind mako, but the others feel neglected even though i got so much loyalty points on them :( they dont seem to have much story or anything behind them and dont want me to help them deal with some big secret.

Also romance is a little disappointing. I understand the idea of keeping it from being Rated-Adult only by not putting in sex or anything too big. But at the same time it doesnt really feel like anything changes from getting romance or marriage and it feels almost down-played heavily and very brief. a lot like the demise of the mandalorian i mentioned before. u get hype and build up more and more. then... u get nothing. o.0

guilds:

i am a little bit disappointed in the lack of guild features. but research has found it all being on the way, and more than i wished for. includes GUILD SHIPS! :D

can ya make guild ships actually fly to a particular place? So if u get 5-6 people who want to level together and are on the ship. they dont need to all leave and return to their own ship to fly to the same place. the captain can just take the ship to the planet and they all leave together.

oh and it might be funny to have some co-crew interaction. like talk with other players crew members or find your own crewmembers arguing with theirs.

might also be nice to have some guild-ship-space-battles. like the normal space battles but working together. With one guy piloting and other members on various stations. like repairing, cannons pointing in different directions. not necessarily pvp, but still.

overall:

I find the game to be very fun. most of the fun is in the single-player integration and there isnt much high-level stuff to do. YET. i know there are a lot of things on the way, so i am just waiting. :)