Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Jedi Shadow - DPS Rotation

VoXPCS
12.22.2011 , 05:57 PM | #1
I don''t see this information anywhere in any of the stickies. Most of it deals with Shadow tanking which I have no interest in. Just DPS.

I have my current rotation , that seems clunky and I run out of Force quite a bit as well but does "OK" dmg.

Is there is an article anywhere or other Shadows willing to share their rotation with me?

EDIT: JUST realized their a dedicated Shadow section now. Phancy! What will they think of next.

Dreamsinger
12.22.2011 , 06:34 PM | #2
STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Jedi Consular > Shadow

it is in the forum location above and varies so I recommend Reading on the class a bit.
There is a special place in Hell for Forum Flamers, right next Child Molesters and those who talk in the theatre.

Infiltrate
12.23.2011 , 08:24 PM | #3
My rotation: Stealth, Stun, Shadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow StrikeShadow Strike

VoXPCS
12.23.2011 , 09:41 PM | #4
lol..

Post of the week right thurr.

madmuggle
12.23.2011 , 09:44 PM | #5
Dont listen to infiltrate. That would be megasuperhorribleawful dps. Shadow strike is a bad dps skill. It should only be used if you have the find weakness buff otherwise the force to damage ratio is horrible.

A decent rotation for infiltrator spec is:

stealth (for force regen buff)
open with either shadow strike or force breach
project
double strike

if i have an aoe situation add your aoe knockdown and the channeled rock throw skill.

double strike is way better than shadow strike for dps if you dont have the find weakness buff. reapply breach as needed.

Kitru
12.23.2011 , 11:09 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by madmuggle View Post
A decent rotation for infiltrator spec is:

stealth (for force regen buff)
open with either shadow strike or force breach
project
double strike
This isn't anything approaching a good rotation for Infiltration. First off, opening with Shadow Strike is simply bad play. When it doesn't have Find Weakness, it's better to just use Double Strike. Similarly, you never want to use Project without its applicable proc (Circling Shadows) for pretty much the exact same reason you don't use Shadow Strike.

If you really wanted to go with a fight starting attack string:

Stealth>Force Breach>Double Strike>Double Strike>Project

After that, you simply continue to keep Force Breach on CD, use Shadow Strike whenever Find Weakness is up, and use Project only after 2 Double Strikes (at 40+, replace Double Strike with Clairvoyant Strike). Saber Strike is, of course, used when you don't have the Force to use whatever your trying to use.

You never want to use TK Throw since it takes too long to do too little damage, and you're risking even less efficiency if you get hit and pushbacked during the cast. An Infiltration, the only regular force powers you use are Force Breach and Project.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Seratisak
12.24.2011 , 04:47 AM | #7
Um no just no, split into two parts, your opener and your sustained.

Sub level 50.
Stealth

Opener:
Shadowstrike x2
Breach
Mindcrush
Blackout
Doublestrike x2
Project
Breach

Sustained:
Breach
Doublestrike x2
Mindcrush
Project
Rince and repeat.

Key thing about sustained is watch your procs, as a priority get the Shadowstrike in whenever you have Find weaknes.

PS till they start chaining the numbers this is about the best you can do.
Revren, SpaceSlug, Shadow

VoXPCS
12.24.2011 , 05:45 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Seratisak View Post

Sub level 50.
Stealth

Opener:
Shadowstrike x2
Breach
Mindcrush
Blackout
Doublestrike x2
Project
Breach

Sustained:
Breach
Doublestrike x2
Mindcrush
Project
Rince and repeat.

Key thing about sustained is watch your procs, as a priority get the Shadowstrike in whenever you have Find weaknes.

PS till they start chaining the numbers this is about the best you can do.
Very Nice! Thanks for the contribution. I'm glad to see this thread get some useful feedback. There was zero direct DPS Rotation information that was current and/or realistic until now.

I'm going to give this a shot and see how it does.

Kitru
12.24.2011 , 06:10 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Seratisak View Post
Seriously? What's wrong with you? 2 Shadow Strikes as an opener is going to wipe out almost all of your Force for almost null contribution. As has been said repeatedly, Shadow Strike is terrible without Find Weakness reducing its cost and increasing its damage. By default, it simply costs too much to do too little.

Secondly, why are you using Mind Crush? The only spec that has any reason to do so is Balance and that's because it gets to use it for free and the spec lives off of DoTs. Infiltration finds it completely worthless because you're, once again, just better off using multiple Double Strikes (and, eventually Clairvoyant Strikes).

You also didn't allow enough time between Force Breaches. With the talent, the CD is reduced to 12 seconds. You only allowed for 6.5 seconds in between.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

madmuggle
12.24.2011 , 07:03 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
This isn't anything approaching a good rotation for Infiltration. First off, opening with Shadow Strike is simply bad play. When it doesn't have Find Weakness, it's better to just use Double Strike. Similarly, you never want to use Project without its applicable proc (Circling Shadows) for pretty much the exact same reason you don't use Shadow Strike.

If you really wanted to go with a fight starting attack string:

Stealth>Force Breach>Double Strike>Double Strike>Project

After that, you simply continue to keep Force Breach on CD, use Shadow Strike whenever Find Weakness is up, and use Project only after 2 Double Strikes (at 40+, replace Double Strike with Clairvoyant Strike). Saber Strike is, of course, used when you don't have the Force to use whatever your trying to use.

You never want to use TK Throw since it takes too long to do too little damage, and you're risking even less efficiency if you get hit and pushbacked during the cast. An Infiltration, the only regular force powers you use are Force Breach and Project.

The reason i said Shadow Strike is it hits pretty hard for an opener. When you have the bonus force regen from coming out of stealth I find using SS I still barely use enough force to not be full after a SS/Breach. So to me that isn't a waste. And the burst is pretty high.

Also, I wouldn't say it isn't even close to a good "rotation". The only difference in mine and yours is you prioritize double strikes over project. Which is fine. I use project a lot for a stun rather than damage. On an elite mob I agree project is probably a waste.

Lastly this information is for lower to mid levels. I haven't hit high levels of play which is true for most people that would be asking advice anyway.