Game is too easy, boring.

Templock

AoE'ing groups of weak mobs is boring. Make a harder PvE phase that replaces all those groups of mobs with a single silver mob. Those silver mobs should take at least 6 GCD's to kill.

And please rebalance companions and mob damage so that companions are required just to survive instead of making you an invincible god.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AoE'ing groups of weak mobs is boring. Make a harder PvE phase that replaces all those groups of mobs with a single silver mob. Those silver mobs should take at least 6 GCD's to kill.

And please rebalance companions and mob damage so that companions are required just to survive instead of making you an invincible god.

Perhaps because we've had years of this: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=827013&highlight=difficult

So I have had SWTOR ever since it came out and it is the first MMORPG i have ever played. However, here is my problem. I have two different characters, one is a Sith Marauder at level 37 and the other is a Jedi Knight at level 27.

Seeing as how i've had the game since it came out you would think i would have at least 5 characters all at level 50 right? Wrong . I constantly stop playing the game because i feel like i am EXTREMELY terrible at it. I have never played an MMO in my entire life however i am a huge huge star wars fan (especially the KOTOR games) and i really wanted to play this. I actually love the game, however i do NOT know what i am doing... at all.

I'm always getting my *** kicked in fights and usually the only reason i win is because of luck. Especially class missions when it comes to boss fights. My characters are ALWAYS matched with the level cap of the mission (for example the mission requires you to be on level 36 but my character is 37) and yet for some reason i am always taking a significant amount of damage.

And this: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=682365&highlight=difficult

Let me make an analogy first:

You can't create a blockbuster movie and then fill it with intelectual conversations. A blockbuster should stick to its oneliners.

You made exactly this. Hardcore content for a Themepark-MMO. You made the mistake to listen to people that play to level 50/55 once and then never touch another character again. They will tell you that the game is fine, that they want a "challange", that they "don't want things handed to them"....yadda yadda.

What they forget is that the whole game is already suited for them. They have a challanging level expierience, they have pvp, they have flashpoints/hardcore flashpoints and operations/hard/nightmare modes.

So what does the casual player actually have ? Right : Nothing. The average joe is a twinking maniac. He has 50 Twinks spread all over the servers and joe is sad and leaves the game because has no niche in this game.

He can't have a blast rushing through the game and checking out different builds because tanks and healers take forever to kill stuff and dds mostly have to rest after combat. And it drags out forever !

Edited by xordevoreaux

The problem that I have with threads like this in general is that, after the devs cave in however long it takes, the same people then come in and complain that it's now too hard to run that content, and it needs to be nerfed.

Back when the level cap was 50, and there was no droid to run in a SM FP, I took my healer sorc and solo'd Battle for Ilum. There were no healing consoles, there were no back ups, there was me, Xalek and a FP. It was quite challenging, and quite fun, and part of it was that I wasn't sure if I could do it or not. That same level of challenge still exists, if one isn't too busy running heroics on Korriban/Tython/Dromund Kaas/Coruscant. Step out of the Story Mode FPs with their healer droids and solo them anyway. Yes, that means no queue, you'll have to walk up and do them, but the story content is just that, story, and should be completable solo, regardless of gear, within reason anyway, or skill level.

I used my example to demonstrate that I don't need my hand held during gameplay, and I'm still not down with creating a Hard Mode version of the content, because, at the end of the day, a percentage of those that will sign on the dotted line to get this kind of thing will, inevitably, be here complaining that the pendulum swung too far.

@Templock: I agree with your premise, but not necessarily with your solution. To me, the trash is not the biggest problem and needing a little more time for a strong mob doesn't really make the game more challenging or interesting. My biggest beef is the ridiculous weakness of some story enemies. A lot of them are not even elite mobs, just strong, and even if they are elite, they are usually cut down in a very short time. At least at the end of chapters or at important turning points in the class stories I would like to be challenged by a fight, e.g. a champion mob with some dirty tricks. But no, they can even put my comp to sleep like the Jedi on Tatooine and the fight will be no more challenging. Edited by Mongorr

The problem that I have with threads like this in general is that, after the devs cave in however long it takes, the same people then come in and complain that it's now too hard to run that content, and it needs to be nerfed.

True. And reality is, with a bit of effort, people can make this game as hard or as easy as they want, but want it handed to them at precisely the difficulty level they demand with no effort on their part.

Edited by xordevoreaux

True. And reality is, with a bit of effort, people can make this game as hard or as easy as they want, but want it handed to them at precisely the difficulty level they demand with no effort on their part.

I normally give them until they get to the Valorkian expansion and then notice they start complaining how hard it is to kill xxxxxxx (fill in the blank)

I miss so much game when i started (some time before First expansion) damn… i remember like 6-7 try to beat final Boss of Consular. Now You can be naked without companion, and u still gonna win...

The only part of that boss that was hard was not knowing when to interrupt the certain ability the boss had, other than that it wasn't that hard and this was one of the first bosses I did upon launch.

You get a lot of threads like this, the problem is that making the base story more challenging for some, will make it undoable for others.

You can do things to make your own game more challenging without affecting others:

1. Put your companion on passive (or at least dps; do not use a companion set to heals)

2 Don't overgear. Use the gear you get from the storylines only, or even less.

3. Stay at or just below planet level (the world map still lists the levels the planets were originally designed for). Do not get more than 4 levels below your targets, if you get more than 5 levels below your targets you won't be able to damage them at all.

4. Do heroics when you still at or below the planet's level.

5. Try to solo veteran flashpoints in the order that they came out (the groupfinder veteran filter lists the flashpoints in the order that they came out.)

You get a lot of threads like this, the problem is that making the base story more challenging for some, will make it undoable for others.

You can do things to make your own game more challenging without affecting others:

1. Put your companion on passive (or at least dps; do not use a companion set to heals)

2 Don't overgear. Use the gear you get from the storylines only, or even less.

3. Stay at or just below planet level (the world map still lists the levels the planets were originally designed for). Do not get more than 4 levels below your targets, if you get more than 5 levels below your targets you won't be able to damage them at all.

4. Do heroics when you still at or below the planet's level.

5. Try to solo veteran flashpoints in the order that they came out (the groupfinder veteran filter lists the flashpoints in the order that they came out.)

Cont'd

6. Tie both hands behind your back and play the game using your nose on the keyboard.

This is not an RPG. This is not an RPG. This is not an RPG. Stop playing story mode if you want challenge.

TOR, like other MMO's, is an ongoing, expanding (glacially in this case lol) game, and at some point leveling needs to compensate so nubs aren't stuck out of endgame, where EVERYBODY ELSE in game is, for unreasonably long periods of time.

If you think the game is easy, time to join an HM or NiM operations team. And if NiM is easy, I guess you've got the timed run achievements for Valley of the Machine Gods NiM? No? There ya go, you can thank me later!! XDDDD

It probably would be best to have a toggle for story and master modes for the class stories and planets, just like they did with KOTFE and KOTET. But the game isn't "easy and boring" for everyone. and I suppose one of the issues is that you have one game trying to cater to very different player types. There are plenty of people playing who are here mostly for story and environment and not to be an endgame raider or ranked PvPer, and sweating through every boss encounter in the class stories isn't appealing.

As others have said if you find it too easy there are steps you can take to make it harder for yourself. Don't get the datacrons. Keep your companions low influence or keep them on passive. Get the White Acute Module. Don't gear up. Don't use all your abilities or heals. Try the flashpoints and uprisings that are not intended for solo players. There are certainly ways to challenge oneself.

What on Earth makes you think it's the same people? I assume it's different people doing the complaining, but then I don't keep a list of who complains about what to track their feelings over time.

It probably would be best to have a toggle for story and master modes for the class stories and planets, just like they did with KOTFE and KOTET.

That would have been a much better solution than what they did. The game used to be harder. Not hard, mind you, but harder. 4.0 they chose to make the core game as easy as possible. Some people love it that way and others hate it.

As others have said if you find it too easy there are steps you can take to make it harder for yourself.

The problem with that is that it's counter intuitive. Every other game I've ever played, a central part of the game-play is trying to make yourself more powerful as you progress. Get the gear. Get the skills. Get the levels. This is the only game I've played where players need to focus on self-gimping and avoiding content to keep combat even slightly relevant. New and returning players who want a traditional MMO and not just an interactive movie get a bad taste in their mouths when they start playing and find the game is so easy that a cat rolling on the keyboard can complete most content. They aren't going to stick around long enough to reach KotFE with it's master mode.

What on Earth makes you think it's the same people? I assume it's different people doing the complaining, but then I don't keep a list of who complains about what to track their feelings over time.

That would have been a much better solution than what they did. The game used to be harder. Not hard, mind you, but harder. 4.0 they chose to make the core game as easy as possible. Some people love it that way and others hate it.

The problem with that is that it's counter intuitive. Every other game I've ever played, a central part of the game-play is trying to make yourself more powerful as you progress. Get the gear. Get the skills. Get the levels. This is the only game I've played where players need to focus on self-gimping and avoiding content to keep combat even slightly relevant. New and returning players who want a traditional MMO and not just an interactive movie get a bad taste in their mouths when they start playing and find the game is so easy that a cat rolling on the keyboard can complete most content. They aren't going to stick around long enough to reach KotFE with it's master mode.

Because this isn't the first time, or the first MMO where I've seen this? I'm permanently banned from one MMO forum because "play a lower difficulty", while an acceptable response when people are trying to learn Elite quests, when it's turned on those that love to say it, they get extremely butthurt and whinge to the moderators.

When I felt like I needed a challenge back in the old days, I would solo FPs, there's nothing "counter intuitive" about that. There weren't any support droids, there weren't any healing consoles, either you could do it, or you couldn't. That's challenging, in and of itself, and doesn't require the devs to redesign story content to make it harder. Because we all know if it's just more HP, and more damage to the players, that's going to be "lazy" and "unacceptable". As I said, this isn't my first rodeo with this topic, and it's not the only MMO where it comes up.

It might be, but as we've said, this is a game that has a lot of different player styles. There are people here who aspire to be NiM raiders and other people who want to play something more like a single-player story based game, and SWTOR does cater to both populations.

A traditional MMO enthusiast might come in here and be bored quickly, true. On the other side of the coin, a player who wants something like Mass Effect's story mode, and is attracted by the class stories, might also get a bad taste in their mouth and be driven from the game if it takes ten tries to get past every boss. Not everyone aspires to be a NiM raider, some people are more casual and just want the story and environment.

And while a player who wants a challenge can play the NiMs, solo MM flashpoints, do ranked PvP, disable their abilities artificially - and thus have more of the type of experience they want - casuals don't have the same flexibility. I they make the content much harder, a player who is finding it too hard really doesn't have any recourse but to walk away. I remember what happened when Copero was released and it was taking seven or eight minutes to kill some of the bosses, and the mobs were everywhere. A lot of people didn't find that enjoyable, they found it very stressful and unpleasant content to get through.

I fully support them adding a MM to the class stories and planetary stories so players can get the experience they want, but I can't support them making the content harder because then that imposes "hard mode" even on those who don't want it or can't play it.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

Buffing up mobs doesn't make the game harder it just makes the leveling and grinding dailies more tedious. Oricon pre nerf had pretty much everything op desires plus a bunch of cc on the mobs that were placed so it was an artform to skirt around without pulling or better said getting pulled. Didn't make that place hard, just tedious as heck.

I've got Master difficulty on but doesn't seem to make any difference.

So I'm overpowered from just playing the game and I have to make a conscious effort to undergear and skip content just to stay on the level? That sounds kinda dumb.

I've got Master difficulty on but doesn't seem to make any difference.

So I'm overpowered from just playing the game and I have to make a conscious effort to undergear and skip content just to stay on the level? That sounds kinda dumb.

That difficulty setting only affects the KotFE/KotET chapters (if you weren't already aware). Also, have you tried soloing master mode flashpoints?

Edit to add: Personally I prefer not having to slog through everything. I'm here for the (slow drips of) story not whatever subjective definition of "challenge" someone else has.

Edited by Elessara