PVE AoE Sniper: The Explosive Engineer [Video]

paowee

Np!

Anyway a bit off topic but i was practicing using roll on NiM DG last night to avoid the aoe from lightning surge. i was in cover, 1 second left on lightning surge i panned the camera back, hit my CE key but ended up rolling in place. my camera shook but stayed where it was while i did the roll animation. it "looked like" i got teleported back to where i started. also the guy near me took a big chunk of damage whereas i took none. most likely a bug... no w+spacebar+CE, just plain pan camera and then roll. could be lag/internet issue (the ping in this new place constantly jumps from 40 to 180 to 300 then back to 40 again). interesting...

Edited by paowee

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thx paowee for your post, some really helpful information :)

I've been hitting the dummy alot yesterday and I noticed something about the following.

You can count ambush as a single GCD in the rotation if you use SoS after the 2 GCDs since it hits instantly instead of snipe which has to charge.

(Example: Snipe -> Ambush -> GCD -> SoS)

I know I asked a question about this too, but I have been torturing a dummy for a while after the question and got this conclusion :)

Oh yeah i forgot to add that xD. Since SoS "instantly" refreshes 3 stacks of ER anyways, you can afford to let it ER fall as long as Series of Shots is next in your rotation.

Also edited the post in the previous page to include what you said.

Edited by paowee

Oh yeah i forgot to add that xD. Since SoS "instantly" refreshes 3 stacks of ER anyways, you can afford to let it ER fall as long as Series of Shots is next in your rotation.

Also edited the post in the previous page to include what you said.

That's great about it, ER doesn't fall.

In the situation of 'SoS -> GCD -> Ambush -> Snipe' ER would fall because ambush take 2.5s to charge AND Sniper takes 1.5s to load.

In the situation of 'Snipe -> GCD -> Ambush -> SoS' ER doesn't fall because SoS hits instantly, it doesn't have to charge like Snipe does :)

Anyway a bit off topic but i was practicing using roll on NiM DG last night to avoid the aoe from lightning surge. i was in cover, 1 second left on lightning surge i panned the camera back, hit my CE key but ended up rolling in place. my camera shook but stayed where it was while i did the roll animation. it "looked like" i got teleported back to where i started. also the guy near me took a big chunk of damage whereas i took none. most likely a bug... no w+spacebar+CE, just plain pan camera and then roll. could be lag/internet issue (the ping in this new place constantly jumps from 40 to 180 to 300 then back to 40 again). interesting...

This happens on the lightning phase to me sometimes, too. It seems to happen most often when I roll with <.4s before the cast. I'll roll in place and have to walk my way back to the rest of the group. As long as I roll before .4 it works normally for me. There is a lot of lag in that particular phase on 16m though, so I had chalked it up to that.

Also, as far as I can tell as long as you "resist" the lightening damage through your roll, the field you create spawns at the location you rolled from. If you roll early it ends up where you do and hits you. That would explain the person standing on you taking a lot of damage.

This happens on the lightning phase to me sometimes, too. It seems to happen most often when I roll with <.4s before the cast. I'll roll in place and have to walk my way back to the rest of the group. As long as I roll before .4 it works normally for me. There is a lot of lag in that particular phase on 16m though, so I had chalked it up to that.

Also, as far as I can tell as long as you "resist" the lightening damage through your roll, the field you create spawns at the location you rolled from. If you roll early it ends up where you do and hits you. That would explain the person standing on you taking a lot of damage.

Interesting. Hmm oh well.. it's not game breaking. It sucks for anyone standing near me though. 16-man positioning for lightning surge sucks for me because they put us snipers at the very back (or entrance rather) of the room (boss out of range). 3 snipers on that first row, 4 ~merc DPS on the row on top of us, 4 ish healers above them, and 5 people around the vicinity of the bosses scattered on the left and right side of the room.

i would stand at the very edge 35m from the b oss and when surge pops i roll back to the entrance; doing this makes the 2nd row susceptible to more lightning surge damage because of our proximity with the 4 ~merc DPS. After the first lightning surge though we just burn DPS and kill the boss before the 2nd lightning surge ticks.

EDIT: Great question from Darth_Caedes and added it on the first page.

Edited by paowee

Interesting. Hmm oh well.. it's not game breaking. It sucks for anyone standing near me though. 16-man positioning for lightning surge sucks for me because they put us snipers at the very back (or entrance rather) of the room (boss out of range). 3 snipers on that first row, 4 ~merc DPS on the row on top of us, 4 ish healers above them, and 5 people around the vicinity of the bosses scattered on the left and right side of the room.

i would stand at the very edge 35m from the b oss and when surge pops i roll back to the entrance; doing this makes the 2nd row susceptible to more lightning surge damage because of our proximity with the 4 ~merc DPS. After the first lightning surge though we just burn DPS and kill the boss before the 2nd lightning surge ticks.

You can stack any snipers that can roll every time with sorcs who are going to bubble to save some space, but yea, positioning gets a bit hairy.

You can stack any snipers that can roll every time with sorcs who are going to bubble to save some space, but yea, positioning gets a bit hairy.
Hah who would've thought. If we have 2 sorcs and 3 snipers, we can all stack in one corner and use bubble and roll (at the right time) and basically give the entire room to the other 11 people. Thanks evryday! Now to see if the officers will try this. The lightning surge phase is not that big of a problem though. We did down the the boss but running 16 for the first time last night, the major issue was red puddles being dropped in not so favorable areas. Edited by paowee

Our first try at 16-m NiM Operator last night:

I've been running 36/3/7 the whole night and then decided to try out Engineering...

Engineering worked for me this time around because i was assigned to mid. This means my AoE can hit multiple targets, and more importantly, i'm not DPSing a bugged mechanic, the Data Cores, whose huge reticles take no damage from AoE abilities 80% of the time.

As expected the first phase of the fight was tough because I can't reliably get all 5 bombs to hit the small adds (although this is somewhat offset by the fact that 2 adds come out at a time). Also i was assigned to sit on mid for my color which means no rolling throghout the entirety of my phase. Phase 2 comes and this is where Engineering shines. Covered Escape drops 5 bombs throughout the entire width of the boss and multiple mobs with high hp are just waiting to eat ticks of your 30% surge'd Orbital Strike. In other words: numerous opportunities for your numerous AoEs to hit numerous targets.

Let's look at torparse... Going against

1 Fenrîr Gunslinger Prophecy of the Five US Severity Gaming 2612.11 DPS

fenrir i hope this is a recent NiM log lol if not i'll just delete it >_<<3!

Wearing a full set of 72 Underworld gear

Full Engineering AoE Sniper

2698 DPS http://www.torparse.com/a/356084/10/0/Damage+Dealt

Note: parse is incomplete due to death from proximity to a failed deletion.

1:28:34.117 Operator IX's Orange Deletion Protocol hits B'oarder for 9128337 internal damage, causing 9128337 threat. (6195 absorbed)

21:28:34.118 Operator IX kills B'oarder.

The guild killed Operator with ~250-300K HP left but Engineering was able to do enough total damage done to still end up on top at the end of the fight.

EDIT: See follow-up below.

Edited by paowee

CAUTION: You run the risk of rolling into a wrong color and killing yourself just before black obtuse pops. Take your time if you must and scoot over to the right spot each time you roll to be safe. Aim your camera carefully because the margin for error as far as positioning is literally less than a quarter of an inch. I'm more familiar with the metric system so I would say... around ~3 mm which is the distance between my avatar and the circle's perimeter in this picture

>>> http://i.imgur.com/Mf3l8El.jpg <<<

The safe spots are the wedges in between the circles. You want to aim your camera so you hit the same wedge directly opposite from where you are (you can probably roll slightly sideways but not too much).

>>> safe spots <<<

Edited by paowee

I'd like to add a few things to the Electrified Railgun discussion. :)

First off, it is actually possible to do SoS --> Ambush --> GCD --> Snipe (or GCD --> Ambush; the order of the two doesn't matter) without ER falling off: http://www.torparse.com/a/353688/2/0/Log, assuming there is no animation disparity between Snipe and Charged Burst messing things up. You can see in the log that Blazing Speed (Electrified Railgun) never fades from the dummy, and that I don't miss out on a Speed Shot tick by clipping it too soon. This is using the 7/36/3 build, i.e zero alacrity. It's not hard to do per se (queue the ablities properly and the game basically does everything else for you) but any lag or other ability delay will make the dot fall off. It's not doable with anything longer than GCD + Ambush, so neither SoS --> GCD --> GCD --> GCD --> Snipe or SoS --> GCD --> Orbital --> Snipe works.

Another thing I'd like to add is that there are situations where it'd be better to not follow the ER applicator --> GCDx2 --> ER applicator rotation. Let's say - after a SoS - you have one filler skill off cooldown (dots fully expired counting as off cooldown), and several more coming off cooldown in just a few seconds. What you can do here is GCD --> Snipe --> GCDx3 --> SoS, because like Whojoo says, the first Electrified Railgun application done by SoS is front loaded as opposed to backloaded like it is on Snipe. What this lets you do is refresh more dots without clipping them, keep up ER 100%, not delay anything more than necessary, and use SoS on cooldown. In this situation, using the standard ER rotation would force you to give up something(s) of the above.

Lastly (and this is something I'm still experimenting with, but I like it so far): I've recently started speccing into Stroke of Genious / Pandemonium. Making Snipe front loaded when I want it to be allows me to to do GCDx3 even when my next ER applicator will be Snipe rather than SoS, which in turn occatinally allows me to use skills closer to on cooldown. What I'm giving up for this is 1/2 or 2/2 in Calculated Pursuit / Hot Pursuit. I liked the Pursuit talent back in pre-2.0 (when the ICD on it also was broken :p), but now I feel like it gets messed up too much since rolling also drops you back into cover. 2/2 in the talent basically has it blocked by rolling on cooldown, and 1/2 can occationally give you the buff when needed, but it's an RNG ridden mess with a benefit that isn't even that awesome. I like the control Stroke of Genious offers both for occational stationary rotation improvement and for mobility purposes. If this means the Calculated Pursuit buff won't disappear when entering cover, though, I'll prolly give up on Stroke of Genious. :)

I'd like to add a few things to the Electrified Railgun discussion. :)

First off, it is actually possible to do SoS --> Ambush --> GCD --> Snipe (or GCD --> Ambush; the order of the two doesn't matter) without ER falling off: http://www.torparse.com/a/353688/2/0/Log, assuming there is no animation disparity between Snipe and Charged Burst messing things up. You can see in the log that Blazing Speed (Electrified Railgun) never fades from the dummy, and that I don't miss out on a Speed Shot tick by clipping it too soon. This is using the 7/36/3 build, i.e zero alacrity. It's not hard to do per se (queue the ablities properly and the game basically does everything else for you) but any lag or other ability delay will make the dot fall off. It's not doable with anything longer than GCD + Ambush, so neither SoS --> GCD --> GCD --> GCD --> Snipe or SoS --> GCD --> Orbital --> Snipe works.

Another thing I'd like to add is that there are situations where it'd be better to not follow the ER applicator --> GCDx2 --> ER applicator rotation. Let's say - after a SoS - you have one filler skill off cooldown (dots fully expired counting as off cooldown), and several more coming off cooldown in just a few seconds. What you can do here is GCD --> Snipe --> GCDx3 --> SoS, because like Whojoo says, the first Electrified Railgun application done by SoS is front loaded as opposed to backloaded like it is on Snipe. What this lets you do is refresh more dots without clipping them, keep up ER 100%, not delay anything more than necessary, and use SoS on cooldown. In this situation, using the standard ER rotation would force you to give up something(s) of the above.

Lastly (and this is something I'm still experimenting with, but I like it so far): I've recently started speccing into Stroke of Genious / Pandemonium. Making Snipe front loaded when I want it to be allows me to to do GCDx3 even when my next ER applicator will be Snipe rather than SoS, which in turn occatinally allows me to use skills closer to on cooldown. What I'm giving up for this is 1/2 or 2/2 in Calculated Pursuit / Hot Pursuit. I liked the Pursuit talent back in pre-2.0 (when the ICD on it also was broken :p), but now I feel like it gets messed up too much since rolling also drops you back into cover. 2/2 in the talent basically has it blocked by rolling on cooldown, and 1/2 can occationally give you the buff when needed, but it's an RNG ridden mess with a benefit that isn't even that awesome. I like the control Stroke of Genious offers both for occational stationary rotation improvement and for mobility purposes. If this means the Calculated Pursuit buff won't disappear when entering cover, though, I'll prolly give up on Stroke of Genious. :)

Another thing I'd like to add is that there are situations where it'd be better to not follow the ER applicator --> GCDx2 --> ER applicator rotation. Let's say - after a SoS - you have one filler skill off cooldown (dots fully expired counting as off cooldown), and several more coming off cooldown in just a few seconds. What you can do here is GCD --> Snipe --> GCDx3 --> SoS, because like Whojoo says, the first Electrified Railgun application done by SoS is front loaded as opposed to backloaded like it is on Snipe.

I noticed this as well. In raids i'd be lying if i said i stick 100% to the GCD > GCD > ER rotation. Especially during movement, and when i expect some downtime coming, or when Orbital Strike is coming up, i do GCD > GCD > GCD > SoS.

What this lets you do is refresh more dots without clipping them, keep up ER 100%, not delay anything more than necessary, and use SoS on cooldown. In this situation, using the standard ER rotation would force you to give up something(s) of the above.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

Both keeps Electrified Railgun / Blazing Speed up. 1 Lets you use SoS earlier. 2 helps DoT managegement and prevents clipping. I think this sounds about right and thanks everyone for the great contributions!

1) GCD > GCD > SoS > GCD > GCD > SNIPE > GCD > GCD > SoS

2) GCD > GCD > GCD > SoS > GCD > SNIPE > GCD > GCD > GCD > SoS

Also it looks like Ambush CAN cound towards 1 GCD according to Rhuarc's post. But for practical purposes, i try to follow it up with Snipe or SoS "in raids" because i have a constant lag (among other things like low fps..) to deal with >_<. But this is definitely good to know.

Edited by paowee

Good post from Fire-breath on the Heroics, Ops, Flashpoints forums so i will be reposting it here:

fire-breath

Hey Paowee, I made some pointers for my guildies that want to try saboteur. Please tell me what you think about it. Feel free to use it ofc.

Please note that the audiance are people with either lowbe snipers/slingers or those that are very green.

TFB - the horror

The following burrowpoints will allow walls to stop for rolling: 1st, 4th, 5th and 6th(same place as 1st). If possible, save your sabotage to reset hightail in these places. allthough the horro is large you can allways misroll by accident, walls are reducing that risk

TFB - dreadguards

Respec to something else. If a tank is reading this .... you know there are walls to stand against right?

TFB - Operator

The cores are suposed to take all bombs. However, there is a bug that it will fail. In the 2nd phase you can roll through the boss. Its a giant boss.

TFB - Kephess

Use hightail the moment the flametrower is ending. You will dodgde the flames during the roll. Use sabotage to reset it and do it immidiatly again. The pillar will be gone but it'll stil hold you in place if you are fast. This will only work if the tanks are placing Kephess close to the pillar.

TFB - Terror

Firstly something for everybody. Use your flyby on both tentacles if they are in mid. If the other tentacle is going down to fast their rdps will go hit on your tentacle.

Tentacles are huge, all 5 will drop inside (be aware of the slam)

In the 2nd phase use hightail to roll to the next platform. You won't fall off but 4/5 scatterbombs will hit the anomaly/hypergate/tentacle. Hightailing out will only leave 2-3 bombs. By rolling into an anomoly (the big things during tentacles) you will destroy it for 25%.

Scum - Dashroode

Try to roll against the generator where the tanks are tanking Dash. Dont worry to much about being cleaved, you will dodge it. Walk back asap while placing instant dots and throwing thermal grenades. Try to roll whenever the wombrats are coming in for some extra ' collateral' damage. For HM try to roll against the boss and birdies. If you are unlucky and roll to far pop entrench to counter a coming knockback. As soon as knockback is done move back.

Scum - Titan VI

You know those rocks to hide behind? They tend to keep you from rolling away. Roll against those and the tanks will love you even better

When the adds come run to the boss, cast flyby+inc grenade so that it barely hits Titan. Most of the time the offtank will have brought it into your AoE. Save your hightail for a moment if the adds are not yet at the boss and use it when they are near.

If DPS is good you are very lucky, a rock will be your best friend. Else the last position will require you to roll 18 meters. So make sure you dont roll into the surrounding flames.

Note for Paowee: I see you are rolling through the boss. Rolling against a stone will give you a fixed position, which gives the healers an easier time with LOS-issues. Also you wont run into other dps during the AoE damage phase (forgot how it is called)

Scum - Trasher

She's quiet big a girl. All bombs will hit. Dont waste time trying to get a lock on the snipers up the wall. Just trow an inc grenade and/or flyby after the roar.

If you want to make the healers happy then use hightail as soon as the firemerc is close to you. You'll get no damage at all

Scum - Operation chief

Every mob exept the redteam will have wall to roll against.

The 2 turrets against the wall are close enough to take down with 1 hightail and 1 quidraw

Scum - Puzzeltime

Yeah ..... uhm...... you better respec SS.

Upstairs the adds are not good to roll against. Downstairs the droids will be either to far apart to hit em all or they are not near any wall.

Need to say something about the 3rd phase?

Scum - Tu'chuk and co

Go respec

Scum - Styrak

I tried sab a few times. I couldnt get high numbers with it at the time. It has been a while that I did a Scum SM to tryout. If so you can use hightail at the Kelldragon in both phases.

When Styrak is about to conjour the Kelldragon save up your Flyby, sabotage (to reset hightail), sabotage charge and speedshot and move to the wall asap.

paowee

Hey Paowee, I made some pointers for my guildies that want to try saboteur. Please tell me what you think about it. Feel free to use it ofc.

Please note that the audiance are people with either lowbe snipers/slingers or those that are very green.

TFB - the horror

The following burrowpoints will allow walls to stop for rolling: 1st, 4th, 5th and 6th(same place as 1st). If possible, save your sabotage to reset hightail in these places. allthough the horro is large you can allways misroll by accident, walls are reducing that risk

despite horror's huge frame, it looks like it is a medium size'd boss. if you roll from his tail you will notice that one bomb will drop "just outside" his visible frame. take note i mentioned "visible" because his actual hit box MAY be larger than the actual avatar. i haven't gotten around to checking it but you can try to look for it in your torparse log and see if you have something like

Fire-breath activates Covered Escape

Fire-breath's Scatter Bomb hits The Writhing Horror for 1500 kinetic damage

Fire-breath's Scatter Bomb critically hits The Writhing Horror for 2500 kinetic damage

Fire-breath's Scatter Bomb critically hits The Writhing Horror for 2500 kinetic damage

TFB - dreadguards

Respec to something else. If a tank is reading this .... you know there are walls to stand against right? :p

Engineering's single target DPS (without rolling) is around 200-250 less than MM and Hybrid (estimation). Until your guild has it on farm it may be worth it to run MM or DoT spec first. In light of the recent enrage and HP nerf, Engineering may be able to pull this off (if you don't mind doing less DPS than what you would normally do if you were specced into something else).

TFB - Operator

The cores are suposed to take all bombs. However, there is a bug that it will fail. In the 2nd phase you can roll through the boss. Its a giant boss.

In Phase 1 if you can get yourself assigned to mid instead of on the cores engineering should do just fine. Phase 2 is where the fun starts. Multiple mobs and multiple opprotunties to AoE them all down. In NiM Op9 you run the RISK of rolling into a circle just before black obtuse pops and kill yourself. I made a video to show the safe spots for rolling in this fight

If you want pictures instead of videos check these out instead [where to not roll], [safe spot to roll from]

The more detailed posts about it are here post #258 and #259 http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=609256&page=26#258

This is a recent 16-man NiM Op9 (incomplete) log in full Underworld gear 2698 DPS http://www.torparse.com/a/356084/10/0/Damage+Dealt

TFB - Kephess

Use hightail the moment the flametrower is ending. You will dodgde the flames during the roll. Use sabotage to reset it and do it immidiatly again. The pillar will be gone but it'll stil hold you in place if you are fast. This will only work if the tanks are placing Kephess close to the pillar.

If you do this you won't have 2 rolls for the actual burn phase but that's fine as long as your guild has enough DPS. Your healers will be happy though!

I also use roll to dodge kephess' jump when i get the red circle.

TFB - Terror

Firstly something for everybody. Use your flyby on both tentacles if they are in mid. If the other tentacle is going down to fast their rdps will go hit on your tentacle.

Tentacles are huge, all 5 will drop inside (be aware of the slam)

In the 2nd phase use hightail to roll to the next platform. You won't fall off but 4/5 scatterbombs will hit the anomaly/hypergate/tentacle. Hightailing out will only leave 2-3 bombs. By rolling into an anomoly (the big things during tentacles) you will destroy it for 25%.

No comment i have yet to do Engineering NiM TFB.

Scum - Dashroode

Try to roll against the generator where the tanks are tanking Dash. Dont worry to much about being cleaved, you will dodge it. Walk back asap while placing instant dots and throwing thermal grenades. Try to roll whenever the wombrats are coming in for some extra ' collateral' damage. For HM try to roll against the boss and birdies. If you are unlucky and roll to far pop entrench to counter a coming knockback. As soon as knockback is done move back.

Right on.

Scum - Titan VI

You know those rocks to hide behind? They tend to keep you from rolling away. Roll against those and the tanks will love you even better :)

I did not know this. Good to know :)

When the adds come run to the boss, cast flyby+inc grenade so that it barely hits Titan. Most of the time the offtank will have brought it into your AoE. Save your hightail for a moment if the adds are not yet at the boss and use it when they are near.

If DPS is good you are very lucky, a rock will be your best friend. Else the last position will require you to roll 18 meters. So make sure you dont roll into the surrounding flames.

This fight is tailor made for Engineering. Enough said...

Scum - Trasher

She's quiet big a girl. All bombs will hit. Dont waste time trying to get a lock on the snipers up the wall. Just trow an inc grenade and/or flyby after the roar.

If you want to make the healers happy then use hightail as soon as the firemerc is close to you. You'll get no damage at all

A habit of mine is delaying my roll so i can drop orbital on the snipers. I would even run all the way to the far side of the map if the snipers spawn there. Maybe i should prioritize Rolling on the boss over Orbital on the Snipers? Anyway just a small issue. Engineering is great for this boss and this guy is probably the 2nd on your "Engineering boss list" right after Titan-6.

I did NiM Thrasher for the first time last week but ran it as 36/3/7 MM (spec is easier and i need to look at the mechanics first). After downing the boss it looks like Engineering won't have any problems with rolling and positioning). In fact i think Engineering will be great for the 50-45% double Sniper group transition. You drop your Sniper bubble, do a roll, use shield probe, RESET everything with EMP Discharge, roll again and use shield probe AGAIN. Your healers should love you. That and Interrogation Probe + PP should one Sniper. I can't wait to try NiM Thrasher out as Engineering this week!

Scum - Operation chief

Every mob exept the redteam will have wall to roll against.

The 2 turrets against the wall are close enough to take down with 1 hightail and 1 quidraw

Scum - Puzzeltime

Yeah ..... uhm...... you better respec SS.

Upstairs the adds are not good to roll against. Downstairs the droids will be either to far apart to hit em all or they are not near any wall.

Need to say something about the 3rd phase?

Scum - Tu'chuk and co

Go respec

Agreed. Respec OUT of Engineering :)

Scum - Styrak

I tried sab a few times. I couldnt get high numbers with it at the time. It has been a while that I did a Scum SM to tryout. If so you can use hightail at the Kelldragon in both phases.

When Styrak is about to conjour the Kelldragon save up your Flyby, sabotage (to reset hightail), sabotage charge and speedshot and move to the wall asap.

After seeing NiM 8-man Strak last week... i suggest MM or DoT spec if you like. Engineering is far from optimal for this boss fight. Too many humanoid targets (that are spread far apart). Too many target swaps for your DoTs to tick. Rolling can get you killed during Chained Manifestation. It will take forever for you to kill your companion.... It's only really good for Kell Dragon and he's only ~40% of the entire fight. Edited by paowee

Both keeps Electrified Railgun / Blazing Speed up. 1 Lets you use SoS earlier. 2 helps DoT managegement and prevents clipping. I think this sounds about right and thanks everyone for the great contributions!

Would just like to mention that rotation 2 uses SoS at the same time as rotation 1; both use 5 GCDs total in between SoS, it's just that Snipe is the second GCD rather than the third in 2.

1)SoS > GCD > GCD > SNIPE > GCD > GCD > SoS

2)SoS > GCD > SNIPE > GCD > GCD > GCD > SoS

(Removed the GCDs you added before SoS because of in my opinion better visual representation, hope you don't mind :))

What it comes down to is basically rotation 1 being better under most circumstances (it is the standard rotation for a reason, after all) simply because rotation 2 will delay a filler GCD and if you can follow rotation 1 without clipping, using rotaion 2 would delay a skill for no reason whatsoever. In some situations - and these will always come eventually since none of our dot durations and skill cooldowns sync with SoS 10,5 sec cooldown - rotation 2 is plain better, but generally not for more than one full SoS rotation at a time. Meaning rotation 2 is just something I do once in a while, after which I fall back to rotation 1. :)

Edited by diadox

Originally Posted by paowee

1) SoS > GCD > GCD > SNIPE > GCD > GCD > SoS

2) SoS > GCD > SNIPE > GCD > GCD > GCD > SoS

diadox

"Rotation 1 being better under most circumstances - iit is the standard rotation for a reason, after all) simply because rotation 2 will delay a filler GCD and if you can follow rotation 1 without clipping, using rotaion 2 would delay a skill for no reason whatsoever.

In some situations - and these will always come eventually since none of our dot durations and skill cooldowns sync with SoS 10,5 sec cooldown - rotation 2 is plain better, but generally not for more than one full SoS rotation at a time.

Meaning rotation 2 is just something I do once in a while, after which I fall back to rotation 1."

QFT.

Great post! Thanks for laying it down for us diadox.

Here is my addition to it.

Originally Posted by paowee

1) SoS > GCD > GCD > SNIPE > GCD > GCD > SoS

2) SoS > GCD > SNIPE > GCD > GCD > GCD > SoS or

2) SoS > GCD > SNIPE > GCD > GCD > Ambush > SoS

Edited by paowee

From BioWare:

We don’t intend for Scatter Bombs to be rotational in any way, shape, or form (for PvE or PvP usage). Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then. After all, they can avoid this with careful positioning (just as you must be careful about your own positioning to set it up).

We are not completely satisfied with how Engineering currently plays in general. When compared to Lethality or Marksmanship, Engineering feels rather clunky. The strength of Engineering in PvE is definitely AoE damage, while the weaknesses are mostly quality of life issues like energy management, Interrogation Probe’s single target limit, Plasma Probe’s cooldown, and lack of a well-flowing rotation – thanks to the extremely long cooldowns on Explosive Probe and Orbital Strike, along with the unfriendly requirement of using EMP Discharge with Adrenaline Probe to maximize sustained damage.

1) We don’t intend for Scatter Bombs to be rotational in any way, shape, or form (for PvE or PvP usage).

- Covered Escape, the way WE use it right now as a crucial part of PVE DPS on large size bosses is not intended. They intended for it to be nothing more than something fun or "an extra b it of damage" that we do when we roll away from danger.

2) Walbanging is ok. Enough said. People on the receiving end need to learn how to play (against it). :D

3) When compared to Lethality or Marksmanship, Engineering feels rather clunky.

- Expect changes to Engineering's rotation. Right now they feel it is clunky and needs some fine-tuning in order to have a well-flowing rotation (like Marksman's Snipe - FT - Ambush - FT - SoS - FT rotation and Lethality's Dots - CULL - filler - CULL rotation). The reason for this is, according to them, due to the long cooldown of Engineering's {important} abilities: Explosive Probe, Orbital Strike and Plasma Probe to name a few. Add Scatter Bombs (our 20 sec cd roll) and we have a crackpot of long cooldown abilities that created an unintended playstyle

aka rolling around.

Edited by paowee

What......but..but....whaaat....

Is SuckaFish trying to do progression on the pub side too now?

No lol they are still in imperial. I just retired my toons there (as of now). might change in the future but not counting on it.

Edited by paowee