Why are mercenarys putting up bigger numbers than commandos

Gnimish

Was just looking at torparse and mercenaries are about 200 dps above commando on dummy parses. Is it their offhand damage? Just wondering

There is a current theory that the off-hand hit from Power Shot gives Mercs a higher chance to proc Rail Shot in a given GCD. The mathematical evidence for that is…dubious. A slightly more reasonable explanation is that there are a number of really good Mercs, and not as many insanely good Commandos. Given that Marisi has a commando on which he parses noticeably lower, I'm not sure if this argument holds water.

I really haven't parsed much on my Commando as opposed to my Merc but when I do I proc HIB as reliably as RS so I wouldn't give that argument much merit.

From what I can tell though, they definitely have an advantage when it comes to RS refreshing the CGC DoT because it applies damage as soon as it is applied / refreshed and the OH RS tick, if it doesn't miss, will refresh the DoT a second time immediately after, therefore equal distribution parses will have more CGC burns for Mercs. The OH probably helps as well in applying the DoT in the first place but if you do things right it really shouldn't drop off a single target anyway so this difference is negligible.

All in all, if both gear and lag are the same, which they aren't for me, I estimate it's about a 100 dps advantage for Mercs.

I really haven't parsed much on my Commando as opposed to my Merc but when I do I proc HIB as reliably as RS so I wouldn't give that argument much merit.

From what I can tell though, they definitely have an advantage when it comes to RS refreshing the CGC DoT because it applies damage as soon as it is applied / refreshed and the OH RS tick, if it doesn't miss, will refresh the DoT a second time immediately after, therefore equal distribution parses will have more CGC burns for Mercs. The OH probably helps as well in applying the DoT in the first place but if you do things right it really shouldn't drop off a single target anyway so this difference is negligible.

All in all, if both gear and lag are the same, which they aren't for me, I estimate it's about a 100 dps advantage for Mercs.

Thanks for feedback. Torparse isnt the best to go by since you dont know about gear differences. Anyways thanks

There is a current theory that the off-hand hit from Power Shot gives Mercs a higher chance to proc Rail Shot in a given GCD. The mathematical evidence for that is…dubious. A slightly more reasonable explanation is that there are a number of really good Mercs, and not as many insanely good Commandos. Given that Marisi has a commando on which he parses noticeably lower, I'm not sure if this argument holds water.

I'd guess it's the offhand hits applying the DoT just that little bit more regularly? Doesn't seem like that would account for the difference though. It is interesting. As far as I'm aware there isn't a similar disparity between gunslingers and snipers, so I can't see why the offhand would account for it, but commando DPS specs ARE proc dependant whereas so gunslinger spec is proc dependant (or rather, all procs are guaranteed essentially).

Normally I'd chalk it up to player base (more people wanna be Bobba Fett over TK-421), but the fact that the same person is parsing noticeably lower in one class over another (and I guess we're assuming similar gear), is just a tad disconcerting.

I'd guess it's the offhand hits applying the DoT just that little bit more regularly? Doesn't seem like that would account for the difference though. It is interesting. As far as I'm aware there isn't a similar disparity between gunslingers and snipers, so I can't see why the offhand would account for it, but commando DPS specs ARE proc dependant whereas so gunslinger spec is proc dependant (or rather, all procs are guaranteed essentially).

Normally I'd chalk it up to player base (more people wanna be Bobba Fett over TK-421), but the fact that the same person is parsing noticeably lower in one class over another (and I guess we're assuming similar gear), is just a tad disconcerting.

I'm missing both implants and the earpiece and my Commando is on an east coast server while my Merc is on a west coast server and I live in Australia so when doing anything on the Commando I have anywhere from 70-140 or so more ping which accounts for some of the difference.

Question do the dots tick the instant they refresh so refreshing dots would apply dot more often as a lethality ops my corrosive grenade applys it dot instantly corrosive dart applies after a second so refreshin a dot like corrosive grenade would tick immediately and you would get more ticks with 2 chances to refresh

Mercs will always be more dps because of OH hits. It translates to more chances to crit and more chances to apply the CGC dot.

EX: Power shot hit the target twice, Charged Bolts hits the target once. Even though the 2nd OH power shot hits the target for lower damage, when it crits it uses the same amount of surge as normal abilities. The 2 piece set bonus on that ability particularly makes the big difference, and you will see that the higher parses are using more power shots.

By this mentality Gunslingers would parse slightly better than snipers, even though they don't have the every attack contributing to a Dot aspect nor the 2 piece.

And it just so happens all the saboteur parses are all Gunslingers...

Edited by LordKantner

My theory would simply be the offhand.

Unless pistols are ridiculously underpowered compared to the cannon. The commando's offhand has no offensive value and only contributes to the singular output of damage which is the cannon.

However the Mercenary is a dual wield. Both pistols put out damage and take up both hands.

Even if the Cannon does more damage then a single pistol. Perhaps TWO of them combined offer up more damage then the cannon by its lonesome? I am aware that the offhand doesn't put out as much damage as the main hand but there is still the advantage of having an offhand that puts out actual damage numbers compared to an 8th piece of armor.

It's like the Sages/Sorcs lightsaber just being a magic wand for their Force attacks. Good for the early start when all they can do is melee but once they open up that AC, the saber becomes largely useless except as a stat stick.

Well, can only speak for gunslinger versus snipers. The only DoT gunslingers can apply with both blasters is the blazing speed 3-stack burn. Since its a 100% chance to apply it there's no unfair advantage here. The only unfair advantage that gunslingers might have is the extra accuracy from illegal mods which makes our offhand miss less.

EDIT:

@ Tyler: I would argue that the saber is still usefull before you get consumption/noble sacrifice. Did a Hammerstation on my sorc heals with 2 other sorcs. I guess DPS was a tad low since around the same time we all huddled into melee range and started to swing our basic attacks because our force was gone ;-)

But ..... tomato tomato, its mostly a stat stick indeed.

Edited by fire-breath

Mercs will always be more dps because of OH hits. It translates to more chances to crit and more chances to apply the CGC dot.

EX: Power shot hit the target twice, Charged Bolts hits the target once. Even though the 2nd OH power shot hits the target for lower damage, when it crits it uses the same amount of surge as normal abilities. The 2 piece set bonus on that ability particularly makes the big difference, and you will see that the higher parses are using more power shots.

By this mentality Gunslingers would parse slightly better than snipers, even though they don't have the every attack contributing to a Dot aspect nor the 2 piece.

It's the more chances to apply the DoT then. You aren't seeing this kind of disparity from Gunslingers vs Snipers.

First up - closing the gap...

As I said in my previous post, the OH hit is fairly negligible in terms of both damage and CGC DoT applications, except for RS for CGC although that's a special case. I did some calculations on my two parses and if the crit chance had been identical on both of them, PS would have done 5k more damage in total than CB or about 66 more damage per MH hit. And given my Commando has 60 less power than my Merc I'd imagine that would cover that gap pretty well.

As far as the CGC DoT goes, over the same timeframe, it's obvious Mercs have a lot more applications of the burn than Commandos do but the majority of these come from the OH RS hit than anything else, and only because it has a guaranteed chance of refreshing the effect if it lands.

Wow congratz. Not 1 hammer shot thats impressive. I see 3 hits from plasma grenade so you only used it once? Could you share your stats with me. So far my best parse is 2800ish. Got a long ways to go :(

I used PG 3 times, all with Reserve Powercell. Using it any other time is just a waste of ammo IMO.

AMR

Edited by Kinslayer