Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Who else uses nova dive/black bolt (by choice)?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Who else uses nova dive/black bolt (by choice)?

Nocher
02.19.2014 , 08:57 PM | #1
I feel as though the nova dive gets a bad rap by the community as something inherently inferior to the flashfire, but I believe it is better in most situations if you know how to use it. Are there any among you who agree and pilot the nova dive in favor of the other variant?
Band-Aid
That guy on the Bastion with only a Nova Dive

Mallorik
02.19.2014 , 09:13 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Nocher View Post
I feel as though the nova dive gets a bad rap by the community as something inherently inferior to the flashfire, but I believe it is better in most situations if you know how to use it. Are there any among you who agree and pilot the nova dive in favor of the other variant?
I usually get higher dmg numbers when flying my half geared nova dive than I do on my mastered flashfire but I still like the flashfire more.

Xnemth
02.19.2014 , 09:18 PM | #3
I fly them when I need them. Ships are like tools, they have specific functions they fulfill. Choose the right tool for the right job, that's how I see it.

Scout 1 and Scout 2 each have different roles. Is there some overlap? Yeah. Not enough that I'd say one is inferior to the other though. That'd be apples to oranges. They've got different gear selection because they DO different things.

It's the interaction of diverse ship roles that make GSF a team game. I wish people would stop trying to shoehorn everything onto one chassis.

Sindariel
02.19.2014 , 09:20 PM | #4
I think the main reason why that ship isn't very popular lies in it's lack of useful secondary weapons for dogfighting. And people who fly a scout, usually want to dogfight.

- Rocket pods are nice and powerful against slow or static targets, but they are mostly useless in dogfights.
- Sabotage probes are gimmick weapons. Difficult to use and very situational at best.
- And Thermite torpedoes are simply crap in their current form.

Nocher
02.19.2014 , 09:28 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Sindariel View Post
I think the main reason why that ship isn't very popular lies in it's lack of useful secondary weapons for dogfighting. And people who fly a scout, usually want to dogfight.

- Rocket pods are nice and powerful against slow or static targets, but they are mostly useless in dogfights.
- Sabotage probes are gimmick weapons. Difficult to use and very situational at best.
But that's the problem. Dogfighting is a waste of time in a team game like GSF. (just leaves you open to gunships, and then the fools complain about how OP gunships are...)
Band-Aid
That guy on the Bastion with only a Nova Dive

ShadowsNIte
02.19.2014 , 09:29 PM | #6
When I'm serious or pissed off, I switch over to my Nova. Never fail to get top kills/assists/damage when in her. Rest of the time I just troll in my other ships.
REGULATORS
Brute-Might Shadowlands

Vid-szhite
02.19.2014 , 09:37 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Nocher View Post
I like my sting, but I looove my blackbolt. Sting is more for killing strikes and other scouts, but the blackbolt has more utility, and in the right hands, is absolutely deadly just the same. With proper upgrades, it can be the ultimate gunship ambusher, and sensor damping won't work on them. True, they aren't as good at dogfighting compared to the sting, but the margin isn't wide, and rocket pods are underrated. Seriously, they double your DPS and have great shield piercing.

Of course, no ship is better at capping objectives than a rocket pods blackbolt, except perhaps a gunship with ion AOE and slug armor piercing.

Pilgrim_Grey
02.19.2014 , 10:09 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Sindariel View Post

Given the amount of complaining you get (most rightfully so, I've done it as well) about Ion railguns, I'm not sure where you're getting that Sab Probes are gimmicky. They're a pain when they land on you, and you know you're going to be stuck in a straight line for awhile... that's a death sentence most of the time, whether from enemy fire or crashing into something. It's a different difficulty than ions, but equally dangerous in most situations.

Daverand
02.19.2014 , 10:45 PM | #9
I tear it up on my nova, just gotta be fast to avoid them gunships.

Delta_V
02.19.2014 , 11:57 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Pilgrim_Grey View Post
Given the amount of complaining you get (most rightfully so, I've done it as well) about Ion railguns, I'm not sure where you're getting that Sab Probes are gimmicky. They're a pain when they land on you, and you know you're going to be stuck in a straight line for awhile... that's a death sentence most of the time, whether from enemy fire or crashing into something. It's a different difficulty than ions, but equally dangerous in most situations.
Except for Sabo Probes are *far* harder to land than hits w/ Ion Railguns, and they give the target a nice big warning sound while you lock on. The thing that pisses people off about Ion Railguns is the lack of warning - out of nowhere, *bam* no shields, no weapons, no engines, no way to fight back.