Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Starguard/Rycer love

Broba
02.21.2014 , 10:06 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Sindariel View Post
Their huge firing arc is the only advantage that makes them halfway useful.
This is my main use for them. They are especially useful when fighting on satellites where you need those extra degrees to actually hit your target.

Sindariel
02.21.2014 , 10:37 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Broba View Post
This is my main use for them. They are especially useful when fighting on satellites where you need those extra degrees to actually hit your target.
But how long does it take you to kill him with those little peashots? And wouldn't it be more effective to simply boost away, turn around and kill him with your quads? In my experience, it is.
No matter if you're flying a strike fighter or a scout, turning fights are always the worst option. Even in my scout, i always avoid them as much as possible.

Broba
02.21.2014 , 10:41 PM | #13
not long at all. use dem cluster missiles dude. my main point of mentioning the star guard is their use of the ion lasers not to compare the other lasers.

Sindariel
02.21.2014 , 10:48 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Broba View Post
not long at all. use dem cluster missiles dude. my main point of mentioning the star guard is their use of the ion lasers not to compare the other lasers.
Yeah, sorry to derail your thread.
I just wish the Rycer/starguard would have another purpose outside of having an ion cannon.

Broba
02.21.2014 , 10:57 PM | #15
Yeah, sorry to derail your thread.
I just wish the Rycer/starguard would have another purpose outside of having an ion cannon.
no problem, thats the purpose of discussion. I can tolerate their one dimensional nature as they are probably the only high production ship that won't get hit with a nerf bomb any time soon

GooberNoob
02.22.2014 , 12:29 AM | #16
But there are other laser choices which would do the job much better and most of all faster.
lights would have better damage with a slightly worse arc but worse power consumption, as a main weapon i would prefer them but as a backup the low power use of the rapids edges them out imho.
bursts would be flat out better with the exception of power use, perhaps too much better for balance.

Slivovidze
02.22.2014 , 05:59 AM | #17
We know you hate rapids. Their numbers indeed seem inferior. But for sanity's sake, people out there are using them effectively which makes your rants somehow invalid. Of course bursts are stronger at close range, but bursts aren't an option on every single ship, and rapids can well replace them with a small change of playstyle.

Tiny potshots? 100 damage points less than my quads, twice the fire rate, twice the accuracy in turning fight, way lesser energy consumption. While you go away and turn to finish them with your quads, my tiny potshots have already dealt 500 damage. Not to mention the enemy will not just stand still waiting for you to do your 180 and come back.

Rapids have their good use, and just because you don't play the style that utilizes them, doesn't mean they are useless and crappy. Star Guard is one of ships that is godly with rapids. Ion gets shields down fast and rapids do deal enough damage at very good rate, range and area to finish even evading enemy. Not to mention if paired with clusters, then even the bomber won't have 5 seconds of life.

CaliJoe
02.22.2014 , 02:47 PM | #18
Ions and Rapid Fire is my go to combo now. I'm a gunship killer. Kinda stinks I can't slow down a Flashfire from doing circles around me though.
Wild speculation on forums? When does that happen? The Harbinger - Fumanshu Legacy
Repub: Jafaean(Arms), Zelgen(Artifice), Espellah(Cyber), Jabender(Synthweave)
Imp: Vindrock(Armor), Antshell(BioChem), Li'Larish, Kenevil

Bereduss
02.22.2014 , 03:15 PM | #19
I love my Star Guard. Concussion missiles with engine targeting leaves most ships sitting ducks for my HLC's.
Rakuun Acrimous

The Shadowlands