Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Soloing PVE with Tanks

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Soloing PVE with Tanks

DaeHanMusa
08.10.2015 , 11:46 PM | #1
Hey folks,

Hope all is well. I am quite familiar with this game and I will be leveling all Tanks solo in PVE, for my new project.

Knowing this game, every planet has at least one Heroic 4 and one Champion that is tough to solo for most classes (for those who know the game well). With this in mind:

1. Should I just keep my DPS gear?
2. Or should I really craft more "Endurance" mods and such? If so, what is a good balance of Endurance/Primary?
3. If I do the second choice, how much slower will I be mowing through Heroics? I just did "Brothers in Arms" with a DPS geared, level 23 Jugg with Treek and, overall, it went well...but a tad slow. *Not complaining, just stating my observation*

Thanks in advance.

iusCogens
08.11.2015 , 01:41 PM | #2
I don't keep any DPS gear. All my tanking toons were leveled purely in tank spec from level 10 to 55; any DPS gear that I acquire in level 10-55 range is either given to companion, or sold. I switched to DPS spec in the last five levels to 60 with DPS gear acquired from Forged Alliance to learn how to DPS, just in case I am required to switch to spec mid-raid. Imo you can pick up DPS spec pretty quickly, but it's best to learn to tank from early levels.

Generally, mitigation > Endurance. Stacking Endurance would give you large health pool, but without mitigation your health will melt fast. I wouldn't worry too much about gear and stat optimization during leveling phase. As long as you get the correct Hilt, Armoring and Mods (Guardian for Jugg, Force Wielder for Sin... I can't remember what Pt's is called), you're good to go. You want to pick Mods and Enhancements that are high in Detense for Jugg, high in Shield for PT, and high in shield/absorb for Sin. You don't need much of Primary stat as a tank.

Leveling as tank is slower than leveling as DPS, but faster than healer. Tank-DPS companion speeds things up a bit, but doesn't compare to DPS-healing companion. However Tank-healing companion is a solid choice ic you plan to solo Heroics at level. Jugg DPS is sturdier than the likes of Sin and Mara but I don't think it would be able to faceroll Heroics.

Defecter
08.12.2015 , 05:37 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by iusCogens View Post
I don't keep any DPS gear.
While I can appreciate wanting to stick to being a 'true' tank, it's massive overkill to deck yourself out in tank gear during leveling. The content is simply not tough enough to warrant the increased survivability compared to the gimped damage output you will have. Sure, you might be able to survive solo heroics a bit better, but everything else will be very slow. Especially at low level, where tank gear beyond endurance stacking is virtually non-existant, it's just not a good thing to do.

I leveled my tank in tank spec + dps gear (mostly +Power). Most heroic 4 quests (with a few exceptions ofcourse) could be done relatively easily with a healing companion and the use of defensive cooldowns. The rest was me and a dps companion, mowing through mobs without even a hint of actually dying.

Note that I'm talking purely about solo leveling, as per the OP.

Just my 2 cents.

iusCogens
08.12.2015 , 08:37 AM | #4
Decking yourself in full tank gear means you can go longer without upgrading your gear (I upgrade every 15-20 levels, either in DPS or tank spec, but to be fair I only do story missions to get to endgame ASAP). It's also easier to keep track of my inventory that way. Most of my new toons only have four, five rows of inventory slot unlocked, plus extra credit is good.

A tank in DPS gear is a headache to the healer, at least that's how it is in endgame group content. The mitigation of Assassin/Shadow won't even work if you're not in tank gear. I don't know how it performs in solo gameplay, but to be fair I'm a traditionalist i.e you should gear according to your role.

Defecter
08.13.2015 , 12:16 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by iusCogens View Post
Decking yourself in full tank gear means you can go longer without upgrading your gear (I upgrade every 15-20 levels, either in DPS or tank spec, but to be fair I only do story missions to get to endgame ASAP). It's also easier to keep track of my inventory that way. Most of my new toons only have four, five rows of inventory slot unlocked, plus extra credit is good.
I guess with the EXP boost, it isn't that big a problem. Without it though, it's a massive pain to level in full tank gear (to me, anyway).

Quote:
A tank in DPS gear is a headache to the healer, at least that's how it is in endgame group content. The mitigation of Assassin/Shadow won't even work if you're not in tank gear. I don't know how it performs in solo gameplay, but to be fair I'm a traditionalist i.e you should gear according to your role.
In group content, I agree. But the OP was talking about solo leveling content.

That being said, at the OP's level (23) there is no real tank gear anyway.