Regardless of who the class representative for this round will be

paowee

What Will They Do?

Upon the Class representatives being selected, we will release a schedule. On each scheduled date listed, the chosen representative for each Class will make a forum post in their Class forum with the top 3 things they want to have answered or commented on. Our current plan is to do 4 ACs each month with 2 ACs being able to propose questions every 2 weeks.

Up until the scheduled date, the rep’s job is to work to figure out what the top 3 issues or questions are for their Class. Once posted, we will begin working with the Combat Team to get an answer or comment to all 3 of those issues, regardless of what they are! Our goal is a one week turnaround from the time that you post the questions for us to get you an answer. I will stress now that our development schedule will take priority at all times, so if our Combat Team is unavailable due to development constraints, any of this schedule is subject to change.

Hey guys, as a general rule, 1 PvP, 1 PvE, 1 whatever you want!

-eric

Original post

Thought the title would be catchy lol.

So in light of the community team's recent communication program, i think it's a good idea to take some initiative and start talking about any questions, comments, issues we have about our class now. Why wait? Don't procrastinate! ;)

What's your question? We can have a PVE section and a PVP section. Topics can include anywhere from bugs, minor or major annoyances with class mechanics, "state of the class" in raids, flashpoints, end-game play, casual play, casual PVP, hardcore PVP, etc. Basically anything under the sun that you think the Combat Team can answer.

Ok check out the front page. I think that is going to be the job of the class rep.. Compile questions, have everyone vote on 3 questions to be directed to Combat Team.

Before submission day comes, everyone has to "vote" and pick which PVE, PVP, and 1 other question they'd like a yellow poster to comment on.

Voting can be messy on the forums.... but we can easily do it by posting something like is:

I vote for these:

Angels #3 <--- 1 PVE required

Bambula #1 <--- 1 PVP required

Paowee #2 <--- 1 other question of your choice

Blue is a pve question, red is a pvp question, orange can kind of relate to both. Anyone can submit their own pve and pvp questions. But in the end of the day the 3 questions to be submitted to the combat team should have 1 PVP question, 1 PVE question, and 1 other..

I think this Class rep is really more of just a job instead of any sort of super power forum warrior representative. I for example, would not look forward to compiling questions from 100 people, each having at most 3 questions, and then trying to get everybody to vote on which 3 questions they want to submit, and those 3 questions have to include at least 1 pve and 1 pvp related question---- and you have to manually count it as well. lol :rolleyes:

QUESTIONS -> COMBAT TEAM

Skotal

1. What is the concept behind the sniper in pvp and pve broken down by spec?
  2. Regarding: SoS -> target dies -> FT does not proc. Can this be fixed or do we just live with it?
  3. Armor appearance (lets limit the number of antennas, headlights, giant flashing lights on the sniper rifle, please) Is it on the works to have some form of art contest for new armor appearances?

Angelsfluttersky

1. I loved the changes you made to the spec for 2.0 but is there chance it could receive some additional alterations to make it more viable for all end-game content, or was it your intention for it be more limited in its end-game execution compared to other specs?
  2. Was it your intention for Lethality to be more of a support DPS spec from the shadows rather than one who can stand up to direct combat like Marksmanship and Engineering Snipers?
  3. what's the deal with Covered Escape? Did you intend for it to be a main DPS ability for Engineering spec? Are you aware of and prepared to comment on the roll-in-place exploit? Did you intend for it to be used as a key defensive ability in end-game PvE?

Gondolindhrim

1. Is there any chance Explosive Probe can be triggered by DD attacks instead of any damage?

BambulaGTS

1. Take Cover is still buggy. Is this going to be fixed or just something we have to live with?
  2. What's the reason behind keeping 4 pc PvP "sniper's" set bonus? I do not use it and all serious ppl i know who plays sniper uses 2 pc bonus from other set (for example + 1 sec to evasion from operative set).
  3. What's devs opinion on having cooldown of shatter shot removed, considering strong healing going on around?

Evrydayimsmugglin

1. Is this a bug that will be fixed (will gunslingers and snipers be reliant on having other classes in the raid to live through certain mechanics)? Or is it intended that such a difficult to use mechanic as rolling exactly 0.5-0.7 seconds before getting hit is a defensive cooldown we should master, making it the hardest defensive cooldown to use in the game?

Paowee, Paowee

1. There seems to be an DPS imbalance between 3/18/23 lethality/engineering and X/X/36 full lethality. Are these 2 specs performing DPS wise as intended? (Other version of question: A specific hybrid spec appears to be quite popular at current due to higher dps. In your play tests, do you have any numbers that support this theory in comparison to numbers for full lethality snipers?)
  2. 2-pc PVE and 2-pc PVP is "BIS" for Marksman, Engineering and Hybrid. 4-pc PVE is a "requirement" for Lethality. Is this intended--- are the set bonus on the list of things to look at or will we continue to raid with gimped main stat on armorings to get the most DPS for 3 out of our 4 raid specs?

Verghes

1. Laze Target seems a little pointless these days. It's a small dps increase, but doesn't seem very interesting any more. Back in 1.0 when stuff triggered off a crit, it was more useful, but now it seems vestigial.

Warrgames

1. Are there plans to add a new ability that puts you in cover where you vs rolling into cover? Using either the ability or cover key; you roll into cover if you havea target and something is close enough. The problems with this is cover bug, rolling to a spot that LoS your target you are attacking, rolling into an AoE attack and rolling to another level in Huttball. You can drop where you are by deselecting your target. It doesn't work if you are getting attack.

Edited by paowee

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me start :) To be honest this has been a lingering question / cliff-hanger on my mind since starting HM SnV on the PTS.

I am coming from these viewpoints:

• X/X/36 Lethality is less DPS compared to Marksmanship and Hybrid, single target on the training dummy.
  • I understand they can hit multiple targets with Corrosive Grenade which makes up 9-10% of their total damage done. This can result in "skewed" DPS numbers due to AoE DoT damage that is only going to get healed to full when e.g. a boss dies (DG Council, Cartel WL)
  • Lethality / Engineering, is a hybrid spec similar to full lethality, is more popular in raids (basing on torparse only..) and is doing more DPS.
  • A full tree imo, if possible at all, should be buffed to make it more appealing than it's Hybrid counterpart
  • The only way to make Lethality do its highest potential DPS is if the player utilizes Corrosive Mines (roll). This will make the Lethality playstyle (if one ever chooses to play it that way), similar to Engineering snipers who use Roll every ~20 seconds.
  • EVEN then, Lethality is still behind its Hybrid counterpart in single target DPS.
  • In PVE min-maxers (see Leaderboards and snipers/slingers in pve ranking threads) mostly play Hybrid.

The actual question: There seems to be an DPS imbalance between 3/18/23 lethality/engineering and X/X/36 full lethality. Is this working as intended?

Paraphrased: A specific hybrid spec appears to be quite popular at current due to higher dps. In your play tests, do you have any numbers that support this theory in comparison to numbers for full lethality snipers?)

Edited by paowee

there are a couple of problems with takedown / quickdraw.

1. it's not enough to make up for extra flyby dmg AND extra dot AND EP extra dmg

2. in hybrid you actually get energy back easier due to EP energy return

3. takedown is horrible on energy till you get the 4pc set bonus (which, for non raiders is pretty hard to get)

i don't have many solutions but one thing we were thinking about is to have 66 set bonus stuff drop from HMs (would be nice for alts :D)

On the other hand i think the melee sab slinger is a bit gimmicky and i wonder if it's going to stay that way...

If it is, will the in place roll also stay?

~Lunagazer

1. How it is possible you still:

a) can not take cover on some spots on slopes (unable to take cover error) (see 4 HB slopes on the mid near 1st firepit)

b) can not take cover on someplaces near edges of objects (unable to take cover error) (see edges on the opposite sides of 4 cubes on HB mid area near 1st firepit)

c) instead of rolling to cover with take cover ability you roll in place, playing crouching animation but not taking cover at all.

2. Why when juggernaut/guardian starts to perform ravage/master strike and you try to run out of range, while not being rooted, you run forward and rubberband teleported back to the place where u start, often 2-3 times?

3. What's the reason behind keeping 4 pc PvP "sniper's" set bonus? I do not use it and all serious ppl i know who plays sniper uses 2 pc bonus from other set (for example + 1 sec to evasion from operative set).

4. What's devs opinion on having cooldown of shatter shot removed, considering strong healing going on around?

I'm a Marksman PvE Sniper, and I think that overall we are in a pretty good place.

I am a little concerned about the 100% dodge on a roll. I'm not the best player, and I find it hard to consistently time the roll. But the payoff (completely negating a major boss attack) is so large, and the cooldown is so short, that it feels like we will end up being balanced around being able to dodge-roll successfully.

I don't really want us to be nerfed per se, but I also don't want to end up causing my team to wipe or fail fights because I can't dodge-roll perfectly.

Edited by rverghes

One of my big concerns for this tier of progression actually centers on the roll. Snipers and gunslingers get very limited defensive cooldowns, namely dodge (only works on limited attacks), a personal shield which absorbs a moderate amount of damage, and the long-cooldown raid-wide 30% DR shield (our primary raid utility which many groups save for scripted times, and is generally unavailable to use as a personal cooldown). With large spikes of damage becoming more common in NiM raids, especially TFB Kephess' jump, and to a lesser extent the grenades on titan 6, I sometimes get killed from full HP through the one reliable short-cooldown defensive CD I have, and have to figure out ways to avoid the damage using covered escape or a sage MUST bubble me to avoid me dying. If avoiding damage from a mechanic by rolling isn't intended and is due to be fixed, snipers and gunslingers will sometimes just get oneshot on fights without external cooldowns (i.e. a sage/sorc shield or a guardian/jugg tank AoE taunt). If it is intended, it should be a little more forgiving on the timing required, as the current dodge-roll has a very short window where it will successfully negate damage.

My question is, is this a bug that will be fixed (will gunslingers and snipers be reliant on having other classes in the raid to live through certain mechanics)? Or is it intended that such a difficult to use mechanic as rolling exactly 0.5-0.7 seconds before getting hit is a defensive cooldown we should master, making it the hardest defensive cooldown to use in the game?

Another question i have about the set-bonuses.......

Q: 2-pc PVE and 2-pc PVP is "BIS" for Marksman, Engineering and Hybrid. 4-pc PVE is a "requirement" for Lethality. Is this intended--- are the set bonus on the list of things to look at or will we continue to raid with gimped main stat on armorings to get the most DPS for 3 out of our 4 raid specs?

Even in KD gear:

Some math made by guildie sniper Roovin (others can do their own math to prove or disprove this)

Summary: So the difference here was 261 cunning. I realize that my method is nowhere near perfect; however, I think it gives a fairly good indication that the 2 piece PvP is going to be worth it for many more tiers of gear in the future.

Ok, my spreadsheet is nearing completion.

Estimated DPS https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al8f0VE6CIWndDRFdlI0Y0hybVFBLVA4Z1pCSW5hU2c#gid=0

What I did is create a spreadsheet that will give you an estimated DPS based on your current stats. This isn't perfect though as this spreadsheet is using the exact amount of casts that I had in one of my parses. I used this information to try and see when the 2 piece PvP would no longer be worth the loss in cunning.

According to some really early investigation it seems that there would need to be almost a 300 difference in cunning (150 Cunning per armoring) until you barely see an increase in DPS. Using my current stats I calculated my estimated DPS, WITHOUT FACTORING IN TARGET ACQUIRED OR ADRENALS/RELICS (Passive power increase from the relics was included though), using the 2 piece PvP Bonus and swapping those armorings out for KD versions. I then brute forced my way, down to the exact number, until I saw an increase in DPS. Using this method I found out that an increase of 250 cunning was needed over the 2 PvP armorings.

3361 Cunning, my current cunning while using 2 piece PvP bonus = 2837.04719754889 estimated DPS

3417 Cunning, replacing the two pvp armorings with KD versions = 2769.7116571428 estimated DPS

3611 Cunning, the bare minimum amount of cunning needed where I start seeing returns = 2837.3036013454 DPS

Just because I was curious I decided to try this out using BIS KD stats. I went ahead and created, what I believe, is a BIS KD set on AskMrRobot. I used those stats, I didn't calculate them myself so if they are wrong forgive me, and inputted them into my spreadsheet:

3451 Cunning, BIS KD stats while using 2 PvP armorings = 2977.40403048665 estimated DPS

3507 Cunning, BIS KD stats using all KD armorings = 2905.81729908072 estimated DPS

3712 Cunning, the bare minimum amount of cunning needed where I started to see returns = 2977.66799426168 estimated DPS.

So the difference here was 261 cunning.

I realize that my method is nowhere near perfect; however, I think it gives a fairly good indication that the 2 piece PvP is going to be worth it for many more tiers of gear in the future.

If you want to play around with this spreadsheet you will need to do the follow:

-Input all your information in cells B1-B16

-If you are using the 2 piece PvP Bonus, make sure that cell H40 has a value of 28

-If you are not using the 2 piece PvP bonus, make sure that cell H40 has a value of 21

Other math:

[insert KBN here :D]

Edited by paowee

• Why only Top 3? It should be 4 or 5! - Our original incarnation of the idea was actually a top 5. In talking with the Combat guys, they plan to put some serious work into these answers whenever possible. This could include design philosophy and math. Because of this, we decided we would rather have 3 really good answers than 5 less good ones.

Just keep this in mind. The goal of this is simply to help create a dialog and interaction between the studio and the forums concerns about classes, class balance, etc. This is just a fun way to create the conversation and is something new we are trying. I wouldn't go too crazy stressing over unknowns as they are just that, unknown! We will absolutely make adjustments to how this works should we see that it is needed.

-eric

We only have 3 questions for both PVE and PVP aspects. These questions are something that "they plan to put some serious work into." The questions should be "all-encompassing" that everyone can agree on which includes 1 PVP question, 1 PVE question and 1 other.

Edited by paowee

Hey everybody, I play all Gunslinger specs proficiently and have a few questions about the class. Just to keep things consistent, I'll continue to use Sniper terms since we are in the Sniper boards after all. Thanks for starting this early Paowee! I'll try to split them as Paowee mentioned above into PvE, PvP, and an all-encompassing issue.

1. PvE: Engineering spec is one of my favorite trees to run for all content. However, I find myself restricted to only using it in a handful of end-game encounters due to its poor effectiveness with bosses who move frequently or have tight burst phases close together (e.g. Dread Master Styrak). This is due to the spec's DPS dependence on its capstone ability, Plasma Probe. Without Plasma Probe landing the majority of its ticks, the only way to keep sustained Engineering DPS competitive with other Sniper specs is to utilize Scatter Bombs, a less than ideal technique as it requires an exploit to use efficiently on small to medium targets by rolling in place.

I loved the changes you made to the spec for 2.0 but is there chance it could receive some additional alterations to make it more viable for all end-game content, or was it your intention for it be more limited in its end-game execution compared to other specs?

I'm aware that certain encounters will cater to more specs than others, but the current end-game encounters that go against Engineering are far more hampering to them than encounters for other specs. Here are a few ideas I had to possibly help this issue:

• Have Plasma Probe tick in place but also apply a physical type DOT on any enemy who had Plasma Probe initially casted onto them. DOT damage would not stack with Plasma Probe, it would just mimic the effect of Plasma Probe at its current point of time if the enemy were to step outside of Plasma Probe. For example: I cast Plasma Probe onto Thrasher, Thrasher remains in Plasma Probe for five seconds and has the DOT continually refreshed but does not do damage on top of Plasma Probe. Once Tharsher moves out of the Plasma Probe, the DOT then continues to tick down and mimic the remaining 13 seconds of Plasma Probe's duration on the ground.

This would help to keep damage up without creating a large imbalance. Since its a physical DOT, it will be cleansable by all healers in PvP once the initial casted upon target moves out of Plasma Probe's radius. Plasma Probe will continue to damage a cleansed target if they move back into Plasma Probe's radius, but will not have the DOT re-applied/refreshed. Again, the DOT will only appear on targets who suffer the initial tick of Plasma Probe and not its subsequent. I know this DOT works a lot different than traditional DOT effects, but some version of what I attempted to describe would help Engineering DPS a lot.

• As it stands, Overload Shot is more of a utility than a DPS gain for any spec. I like that it can refresh Electrified Railgun, but its base damage needs to be increased for Engineering spec, have it add two stacks of Electrified Railgun rather than one (a perk over using Snipe), or something. Calculated Pursuit is nice, but worthless as energy for this spec isn't too difficult and using Overload Shot is just a bandage during movement.

• Could we also see a change to Interrogation Probe too? It's been largely ignored in terms of changes because it's in a good place, but I'd like to see an additional mechanic or benefit for using it further up the tree. I don't have any specifics in mind, but it just seems more beneficial to Hybrid (Lethality/Engineering) spec than full Engineering.

[*]PvP: Lethality is a very powerful tree and excellent for keeping pressure up on the enemies, however it's the easiest spec to counter as their abilities and rotation are very transparent. They also face a difficult fight in 1v1 circumstances if the enemy is able to avoid, interrupt, or prevent Cull from dealing its full damage. If Cull is fresh on CD and other utilities are unavailable, the Lethality Sniper is forced to retreat (something Corrosive Mine and Adhesive Corrosives make them very good at). In regular Warzones I usually don't have a problem keeping the enemy healers on their toes, but I could see this spec being more of a liability in ranked as its difficult to actually kill a target if your timing is off.

Was it your intention for Lethality to be more of a support DPS spec from the shadows rather than one who can stand up to direct combat like Marksmanship and Engineering Snipers?

If Lethality was supposed to take direct combat better, I'd like to see this spec have a few more instant offensive fallback abilities to utilize in-between Culls. Explosive Probe has a long cooldown and costs a ton of energy, Snipe and Ambush don't have the same bite or utilities as other specs, and Overload Shot isn't worth the energy in most cases. Playing Lethality is something I have a ton of fun with in some Warzones, when I'm not running around as an Engineer, but I'd like it to be not so easy to lock down offensively.

[*]Both: This one is tough for me as I feel the class is in a good place overall. The only concern that I have which includes PvE and PvP is the same questions others have already asked, what's the deal with Covered Escape? Did you intend for it to be a main DPS ability for Engineering spec? Are you aware of and prepared to comment on the roll-in-place exploit? Did you intend for it to be used as a key defensive ability in end-game PvE? Are you going to kill my precious baby by decreasing its effectiveness or increasing the cooldown? I know that's more than one question, but I'd like to see clarification on the intention of the Covered Escape ability and the design teams thoughts prior to and after implementing it in 2.0.

Thanks for your hard work Community Team in working towards improving communication between players and class designers. Also, thank you class designers for working with the Community Team to make this possible. Again, thanks Paowee for starting this off early!

EDIT: Due to how long my post is, I singled out my questions for clarity with the exception of number three as the majority of the paragraph is questions rather than suggestions/commentary. :D

Edited by AngelFluttershy

One of my big concerns for this tier of progression actually centers on the roll. Snipers and gunslingers get very limited defensive cooldowns, namely dodge (only works on limited attacks), a personal shield which absorbs a moderate amount of damage, and the long-cooldown raid-wide 30% DR shield (our primary raid utility which many groups save for scripted times, and is generally unavailable to use as a personal cooldown). With large spikes of damage becoming more common in NiM raids, especially TFB Kephess' jump, and to a lesser extent the grenades on titan 6, I sometimes get killed from full HP through the one reliable short-cooldown defensive CD I have, and have to figure out ways to avoid the damage using covered escape or a sage MUST bubble me to avoid me dying. If avoiding damage from a mechanic by rolling isn't intended and is due to be fixed, snipers and gunslingers will sometimes just get oneshot on fights without external cooldowns (i.e. a sage/sorc shield or a guardian/jugg tank AoE taunt). If it is intended, it should be a little more forgiving on the timing required, as the current dodge-roll has a very short window where it will successfully negate damage.

My question is, is this a bug that will be fixed (will gunslingers and snipers be reliant on having other classes in the raid to live through certain mechanics)? Or is it intended that such a difficult to use mechanic as rolling exactly 0.5-0.7 seconds before getting hit is a defensive cooldown we should master, making it the hardest defensive cooldown to use in the game?

I can't say for 16-m but in 8-man NiM TFB (havent done SnV yet), i did not find a mechanic that insta gibs me from 100%hp to 0% hp. I dodge Kephess' jump yes but the last time i failed to do it i had around 25% hp left (i think i was sorc bubbled as well).

EDIT:

I learned from DiLiH that you can roll ~exactly 1 second before whatever is going to hit you is going to hit you and that will make you immune to the damage. For NiM DG Lightning surge if you roll with 1 second left on the cast ~more often than not you will get no damage from it at all. Kind of a hit or miss and can be duplicated with more runs and practice. I like it and its kind of fun >_<

(imo)

Edited by paowee

Ok check out the front page. I think that is going to be the job of the class rep.. Compile questions, have everyone vote on 3 questions to be directed to Combat Team.

Before submission day comes, everyone has to "vote" and pick which PVE, PVP, and 1 other question they'd like a yellow poster to comment on.

Voting can be messy on the forums.... but we can easily do it by posting something like is:

I vote for these:

Angels #3

Paowee #2

Bambula #1

Blue is a pve question, red is a pvp question, orange can relate to both. Anyone can submit their own pve and pvp questions. But in the end of the day the 3 questions to be submitted to the combat team should be something they can answer AND be: 1 PVP question, 1 PVE question, and 1 other..

I think this Class rep is really more of just a job instead of any sort of super power forum warrior representative. I for example, would not look forward to compiling questions from 100 people, each having at most 3 questions, and them trying to get everybody to vote on which 3 questions they want to submit, and those 3 questions have to include at least 1 pve and 1 pvp related question. And you have to manually count it as well.

=_= lol.

Edited by paowee

The most important thing i would like to see answered completely and comprehensively is what is the design philosophy behind snipers.

Something that includes what is the current role of a sniper in pvp and pve broken down by spec. Not how they are currently used but how the development team wants them to be used. I have had several forum debates about what the current intent vs the original intent of what snipers are supposed to be.

Here is an old post from before the forum reset. dated 11/3/11 from Georg Zoeller

It's much worse than you think.

No, a Sniper in cover cannot be charged with Force Leap. Yes, your warrior will have to move into melee range to engage the Sniper (or use ranged abilities like saber throw).

Marksman specced snipers specifically are a very defensive class.

You rarely see them leading the charge onto an objective, but they are masters of area denial. It's not just that you have to bridge 35 meters to them, with them getting the alpha strike. They got tools that will temporarily root you (Leg Shot), the force of impact from their Ambush ability pushes close range enemies back and their cover generator is fitted with the a pulse detonator that pushes attackers out of melee range (Cover Pulse). They can also become faster and faster the more they hit you (Sniper Volley). And did I mention that they can call down a powerful orbital satellite strike to protect the area around them?

You really don't want to charge these guys head on. Just like what I said about a Sage going into close range combat with a Melee DPS class, charging a good sniper head on alone will likely result in you dead on the ground and the Sniper mildly irritated.

How is it balanced? Carefully... We force you to be smart about moving into the area protected by these guys. If you're not smart about it and think you can charge into the fray, that's the wrong class to try that on. Their weakness is the fact that their most powerful abilities require them to be entirely static, that they have little ability to kite or establish range against a close range attacker.

You want to sneak up on them, distract them or eject them from cover (there's a very limited number of abilities that can do that), utilize environmental features to avoid line of sight, hit them with long range DOTs and wear them down, or gang up on them. If you manage to catch them close range without having lost too much of your health, they are in a lot of trouble and without Stealth generator or any kind of active escape ability, they are likely dead.

several new skills have been added and others have changed. does this concept still apply? I think a lengthy and in depth response will greatly improve discussion about balance between classes in pve and pvp. a response will also serve as a great introduction to the sniper forums and provide fast and dev approved responses to posts demanding nerfs for class defining concepts.

additionally responses on pvp vs pve set bonuses, if target dies when SoS is being channeled it does not proc FT, raid utility (can we get an ability to direct threat onto a tank), armor appearance (lets limit the number of antennas, headlights, giant flashing lights on the sniper rifle, ect) would love to see an art contest for new armor appearance.

Skotal i've added it to the front page. What do you think? >_<

What is the current role of a sniper in pvp and pve broken down by spec. How does development team want these specs to be used?

Regarding: SoS -> target dies -> FT does not proc. Can this be fixed or do we just live with it?

Armor appearances (i am sorry skotal but that is not related to the Combat Team)

after reading what you wrote for my #1 and what i did maybe role isnt the best word to use. Maybe something along the lines of What is the concept behind the sniper in pvp and pve broken down by spec? but i guess people can just read my post if they want the details.

2# looks fine

3# well it did ask for questions but if you want stricktly combat here is one that i'd like answered. Why in the mm tree (what would be called the most turret like spec) does ballistic dampeners require the sniper to leave cover to re-apply?

3# well it did ask for questions but if you want stricktly combat here is one that i'd like answered. Why in the mm tree (what would be called the most turret like spec) does ballistic dampeners require the sniper to leave cover to re-apply?

These questions are for the combat team.

Up until the scheduled date, the rep’s job is to work to figure out what the top 3 issues or questions are for their Class. Once posted, we will begin working with the Combat Team to get an answer or comment to all 3 of those issues, regardless of what they are!

But then again it has the phrase "regardless of what they are!". lol. I honestly doubt the combat team will be able to answer a question re: armor appearances but what the hell let's just put it out there :) Edited your section ;)

Edited by paowee

I love to see you folks getting started on this already! Even without a representative you are all working together for the greater good (THE GREATER GOOD!). It's cool to see, good work Snipers :)

-eric

Thanks eric. We need more questions though (MORE QUESTIONS!) ...

Let me start :) To be honest this has been a lingering question / cliff-hanger on my mind since starting HM SnV on the PTS.

PVE - What is the role or purpose of Full Lethality right now?

I am coming from these viewpoints:

• X/X/36 Lethality is less DPS compared to Marksmanship and Hybrid, single target on the training dummy.
  • I understand they can hit multiple targets with Corrosive Grenade which makes up 9-10% of their total damage done. This can result in "skewed" DPS numbers due to AoE DoT damage that is only going to get healed to full when e.g. a boss dies (DG Council, Cartel WL)
  • Lethality / Engineering, is a hybrid spec similar to full lethality, is more popular in raids (basing on torparse only..) and is doing more DPS.
  • A full tree should be buffed to make it more appealing than it's Hybrid counterpart (note: we do not have an MM hybrid build).

My question is:

... a bit long winded. Do you see Full Lethality in a good spot right now given the things mentioned above--- why is a Hybrid spec doing more DPS than the full tree it is imitating (is this intended and is anything going to be done about it)? Right now the only way for Full Lethality to do its HIGHEST DPS is if the player utilizes Corrosive Mines. That means playing somewhat like an Engineering Sniper where you run to the boss while dotting, casting Cull and SoS, then rolling away and leaving a poison cloud beneath the boss' feet. This may seem like a good way to distinguish players who want to make the MOST out of their class (i am fine with that. I work a little bit harder to do more DPS by using Covered Escape) BUT my issue here is that even if i do this, i am still coming out behind my Hybrid counterpart ~200 DPS short. What this tells me is that BW is fine with letting a full tree come short of it's Hybrid imitation.

Fantastic question. I'm trying to play exclusively as Dirty Fighting on my Slinger. You nailed my issue with the spec right on the head.

I love to see you folks getting started on this already! Even without a representative you are all working together for the greater good (THE GREATER GOOD!). It's cool to see, good work Snipers :)

-eric

(Was that seriously a Hot Fuzz reference? Did the US even get that movie?)

Also I need to see if there's a thread like this for Operatives. And then I need to actually learn more about my class that "Cunning is yes." >.>

The most important thing i would like to see answered completely and comprehensively is what is the design philosophy behind snipers.

Something that includes what is the current role of a sniper in pvp and pve broken down by spec. Not how they are currently used but how the development team wants them to be used. I have had several forum debates about what the current intent vs the original intent of what snipers are supposed to be.

Here is an old post from before the forum reset. dated 11/3/11 from Georg Zoeller

several new skills have been added and others have changed. does this concept still apply? I think a lengthy and in depth response will greatly improve discussion about balance between classes in pve and pvp. a response will also serve as a great introduction to the sniper forums and provide fast and dev approved responses to posts demanding nerfs for class defining concepts.

additionally responses on pvp vs pve set bonuses, if target dies when SoS is being channeled it does not proc FT, raid utility (can we get an ability to direct threat onto a tank), armor appearance (lets limit the number of antennas, headlights, giant flashing lights on the sniper rifle, ect) would love to see an art contest for new armor appearance.

I think you have your answer. The design philosophy is ranged DPS. Your fill a dps role in all, trees, and have a varying amount of utility in each for different things, to match different play styles.

I think this type of question is obscure, and doesn't really do much for the class in general at all. Use these questions to answer specific problems or questions with functionality or problems with x skill, not a blurb on what they want to achieve with the class, that was set before the game was released.

Good question. I think they were assuming that being able to use Takedown on a target with any hp% would make up some single target dmg.
It would have... but Explosive Probe + Cluster Bombs is just too much damage. Plus you don't need 4-pc pve set bonus to use Hybrid at all. No we don't want a nerf to Engineering talents but maybe a buff to Full Lethality sustained single target DPS instead. Edited by paowee