Star Wars Resistance -Season 1 discussion thread- Spoilers for each episode released

annabethchase

This storyline got going much faster than I saw many of us speculating. I love that in the first half of the first episode we saw:

The First Order

Poe Dameron

BB-8

General Organa

So, we instantly got grounded into the Resistance/FO dynamics. It's been reported that this show is set approximately 6 months before Ep7 so we have an obvious chance that this show catches up to the movies in a season or 2.

I'm most interested in the plot, so that's what I'm going to talk about here. Kazuda Xiono, our new hero, is tasked with becoming a Resistance Spy in order to root out a spy for the first order. He's reminding me a bit of Theron Shan right off the bat. There was no real hints in episode 1 as to who the spy might be, but it did sound as if Xiono's father, a Republic Senator, might be a Centrist politican. This is the party that has some First Order leanings so it will be interesting to see how that comes into play.

How did you all like the 1st episode? Thoughts on it?

This storyline got going much faster than I saw many of us speculating. I love that in the first half of the first episode we saw:

The First Order

Poe Dameron

BB-8

General Organa

So, we instantly got grounded into the Resistance/FO dynamics. It's been reported that this show is set approximately 6 months before Ep7 so we have an obvious chance that this show catches up to the movies in a season or 2.

I'm most interested in the plot, so that's what I'm going to talk about here. Kazuda Xiono, our new hero, is tasked with becoming a Resistance Spy in order to root out a spy for the first order. He's reminding me a bit of Theron Shan right off the bat. There was no real hints in episode 1 as to who the spy might be, but it did sound as if Xiono's father, a Republic Senator, might be a Centrist politican. This is the party that has some First Order leanings so it will be interesting to see how that comes into play.

I agree with above fully. I was bit skeptical towards the Resistance-series in general at first, but its warming up to me after seeing all three episodes.

I liked the small nods towards the general lore such as mentioning the battles of Scarif and Jakku. Kaz's father, he could very well be an advocate for FO, or then just a father who is concerned about his son.

I really like BB-8 so I was happy that he got onto adventure with Kaz, he's hilarious (and cute) again.

I hope that the series will expand greatly upon the Resistance-First Order-conflict, seeing Starkiller Base gave me chills.

I've seen "The Recruit" and "The Triple Dark" but haven't watched "Fuel for the Fire" yet. So far it seems a bit uneven, IMO, but no worse than TCW's 'adventures with Stinky the Hutt' debut or Rebels' first episodes.

The way they went about setting all the pieces into place for the premise of the series to work felt pretty clunky (or at least rushed) to me, the execution of the slapstick humor was pretty jarring, and I find one of the major supporting characters more annoying than entertaining, but at the same time I like what they're doing within the structure they've set up once it got rolling and a good number of characters they introduced so far seem enjoyable and/or intriguing.

Planning to stick with it for now.

Triple Dark Episode:

Ok, this one was fun. Best part was seeing that the Aces aren't just show pilots, they have combat skills. I'm certainly feeling a good bit better about this series not having to crawl before they can learn to run. These characters already have skill so we just need to get to the right point in the plot to see some Resistance v. First Order action. Although I suppose we don't know for sure 1 or more of them might not be First Order.

The First Order

Poe Dameron

BB-8

General Organa

Im 20 minutes into the first hour and im bored thinking of dropping it. but i will give it 2 more episodes b4 i do.

i've watched the pilot and the second episode and so far it has been an utter waste of time, it has nothing to do with the first order or the resistance so far. right now it is about the stupidty and clumisness of the main character which has gotten old very fast.

see what episode three is about...

Edit: ..and it is more of the same. so yeah, i'm done with resistance. i knew it was gonna be garbage before it airred and it turns out it is garbage in more ways than one.

Edited by Celise

i've watched the pilot and the second episode and so far it has been an utter waste of time, it has nothing to do with the first order or the resistance so far. right now it is about the stupidty and clumisness of the main character which has gotten old very fast.

see what episode three is about...

Edit: ..and it is more of the same. so yeah, i'm done with resistance. i knew it was gonna be garbage before it airred and it turns out it is garbage in more ways than one.

It may not seem to have anything to do with the Resistance-First Order-conflict yet, but there are few things to consider:

The fightning between the two factions hasn't surfaced yet as it is set six months before the real start of war (TFA). There are skirmishes and proxies (as we see in first and second episodes). The Resistance is suspecting that TFO is preparing for war but they lack the evidence. And New Republic is dismissing them as harmless threat so the Resistance takes action on the matter, which leads to situation we see first hand in first episode.

I'm positive that as the series will progress we will get to see more.

I have watched 3 episodes I know its aimed at children and it really shows. It's just to Kiddie for me. Even when I was a kid I did not watch the Ewoks or Droids for the same reason. I'm done.

I can understand that. The previous 2 shows have aged up each season so hopefully it reaches a satisfying point.

I have watched 3 episodes I know its aimed at children and it really shows. It's just to Kiddie for me. Even when I was a kid I did not watch the Ewoks or Droids for the same reason. I'm done.

Yeah, this is the problem I have with it at the moment. It's more a kid's show than I remember Rebels or Clone Wars being. Both of them started off slow and built but this just seems like it's meant for kids and is going to stay that way.

I also don't like that BB-8 is around. He's Poe's droid, what's he doing with this kid? It'd be like Rebels going 'We need an astromech, people know R2, right? Let's put him in there'. It's a disservice to the show to put an established movie character in as a main character. I'm all for cameos (it makes sense story wise for Poe to be in the first episode and disappear) but you need to let it stand on its own with its own characters.

Then there's also the point that BB-8 is already flying around with Poe in the Poe Dameron comics looking for Lor San Tekka.

Yeah, this is the problem I have with it at the moment. It's more a kid's show than I remember Rebels or Clone Wars being. Both of them started off slow and built but this just seems like it's meant for kids and is going to stay that way.

The major difference between rebels and clone wars vs resistance is that the clone wars started right off in the middle of the conflict between seperatists and republic and the emperor making his moves in the background. and rebels was also right in the middle of it with the imperials being under an imperial occupation. after a few episodes with resistance it is no closer to showing its hand than it was at the start, other than the stupidity and clumisness of the main character, the only thing it has shown is how to miss the point so early compared to the others.

The major difference between rebels and clone wars vs resistance is that the clone wars started right off in the middle of the conflict between seperatists and republic and the emperor making his moves in the background. and rebels was also right in the middle of it with the imperials being under an imperial occupation. after a few episodes with resistance it is no closer to showing its hand than it was at the start, other than the stupidity and clumisness of the main character, the only thing it has shown is how to miss the point so early compared to the others.

Yeah, why would you send a kid like that in as a spy? He'd be found out in minutes. At least in Rebels Ezra had the rest of the Ghost crew to learn from and Askoha had the other Jedi, but this kid has nobody to learn from, just a single adult that keeps saying he doesn't want to get involved (which will mean that he does get involved at some point)

Well, episode 3 was a big step backwards. So many physical comedy elements that just don't feel funny at all coming from a grown character. I really thought they were centered on an adult this time to not be so campy. This set back my estimate of the timeline of getting to actual Resistance vs. First Order content to at least season 2.

I also was pretty disappointed not to really be able to recognize Elijah Wood's voice. Seems a waste to bring in a big name and not really show that off.

I absolutely despise the ST universe that Abrams has started...but if anyone can turn garbage into gold when it comes to Star Wars it is Dave Filoni and I hope he can even do something with this era.

That being said I am digging the series so far...Gotta wonder if any of the characters here might be part of the group they are heading towards in Ep 9. Also don't know about you guys but to me, Niku is a way worse comedic alien than Jar Jar Binks and I gotta say he might be my least favorite Filoni character as of now. I find him to be as intelligence depriving as say Todd from Bojack Horseman.

I absolutely despise the ST universe that Abrams has started...but if anyone can turn garbage into gold when it comes to Star Wars it is Dave Filoni and I hope he can even do something with this era.

That being said I am digging the series so far...Gotta wonder if any of the characters here might be part of the group they are heading towards in Ep 9. Also don't know about you guys but to me, Niku is a way worse comedic alien than Jar Jar Binks and I gotta say he might be my least favorite Filoni character as of now. I find him to be as intelligence depriving as say Todd from Bojack Horseman.

I think Filoni's involvement in this series is actually somewhat limited, since he's also busy with the Mandalorian live action show.

Ok, so we're getting somewhere with the plot. Didn't Kaz complete his mission in this one? Wasn't he just supposed to identify who was working with the first order. Mission accomplished.

The constant scenarios of Kaz acting like a 10 year old with no idea what a ship is has to stop. He can't even turn a wrench left? come on

Ok, so we're getting somewhere with the plot. Didn't Kaz complete his mission in this one? Wasn't he just supposed to identify who was working with the first order. Mission accomplished.

The constant scenarios of Kaz acting like a 10 year old with no idea what a ship is has to stop. He can't even turn a wrench left? come on

So he finally found the spy? about time.

Now you know how i feel about this after the first three episodes: it is a bit of a joke how anyone can be that clumsy in every episode. i really hope this isn't the norm for every season! :p

So he finally found the spy? about time.

Now you know how i feel about this after the first three episodes: it is a bit of a joke how anyone can be that clumsy in every episode. i really hope this isn't the norm for every season! :p

Technically he didn't find any spy.

The First Order showed up and tried to make a deal the the owner/manager/in charge person at the station and he said no.

I was very happy to see more Phasma this time, though I don't think I quite understood what they wanted to do with those children; to take them into their Stormtrooper-program or just mercilessly slaughter their people?

Regardless, the Resistance is getting more intriguing with each episode. Captain Doza is interesting character.

Technically he didn't find any spy.

The First Order showed up and tried to make a deal the the owner/manager/in charge person at the station and he said no.

redirect the quote to reply #16 instead of myself. i stopped watching after episode 3, so i'm relying on information from someone else. If they got it wrong, you should chastise them for it.

Edited by Celise

• 2 months later...

Bibo love, love, love you...

Well it's baaaack....and Neeku is as intelligence depriving as ever. Can someone remind me again why Yaeger and the others actually value his company because he doesn't seem to be that brilliant a mechanic either. But I guess they need some adorably dumb mascot in a cartoon series.

Other than this the only serious problem I have with this series is too much Kaz and Neeku and not enough Aces. I do want to see those characters explored more, especially Fenris.

• 2 weeks later...
Bibo love, love, love you...

Well it's baaaack....and Neeku is as intelligence depriving as ever. Can someone remind me again why Yaeger and the others actually value his company because he doesn't seem to be that brilliant a mechanic either. But I guess they need some adorably dumb mascot in a cartoon series.

Other than this the only serious problem I have with this series is too much Kaz and Neeku and not enough Aces. I do want to see those characters explored more, especially Fenris.

Agreed, after 2 more episodes of making Kaz look as incompetent as possible, I seriously have to question what this show's even about:

Is this a Resistance spy show? They've already identified who is working with the FO, how they are doing so and the reason the FO is interested in the platform. So the question is, what is Kaz even still doing there? Season should be over and moving on to some other topic.

Is it about a cool fighter pilot squadron? I doubt it since they are rarely shown. This was what I thought the show would be originally, and it's pretty good at it when they are even in an episode.

Is it establishing characters who will be recruited into the Resistance team in Ep9? I doubt it since the targeted age range of the show is clearly extremely low with all the slap-stick humor.