... Stopping LIGHTSABER with BARE hands ..

dprijadi

Ok

This is from the opening movie SWTOR when Satele Shan stopped Darth Malgus lightsaber thrust and block his advances by using her hand (or hands) without getting burned or amputated.. I never see jedi or sith stopping or blocking lightsaber with their BARE hands (like kungfu movies where the protagonist stopped enemy blade by clapping the blade with both hands, wont work in a lightsaber combat imho)..

The only other incident i remember is from Darkhorse SW Comics where a Jedi Student fight a mock combat with his master and his master only use a flimsy walking stick to block the saber attacks (ultimately the stick broke when the student uses 2 lightsaber to attack his master).

Are there any reference on other SW materials / stories about this ? i dont mean blocking lightsaber with Electrostaff like General Grievous's Guards, but blocking lightsabers with bare hands and other weak materials like sticks..

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really, that is why its such a wow factor when people first see it. Basically its an advanced form of Energy Resistance where Jedi deflect incoming blaster shots with their bare hands using the force, displayed many a time in comics and cartoons (Star Wars: The Clone Wars against both flames and needle shots). It is an ability in KoTOR I and II used to deflect blaster bolts or increase chance of deflection.

Satele Shan just took it to the next level for use against a lightsaber which is very impressive, even with her current position as the current Grand Master.

Satele Shan just took it to the next level for use against a lightsaber which is very impressive, even with her current position as the current Grand Master.

correct me if im wrong, but at that time satele still a padawan right ? she just lost her husband or her master (the zabrak jedi that got killed by 2 sith) ..

the power is not just impressive, but its hard to accept.. Youda blocking lightning from Dooku or lightning from Emperor, that makes sense , Obiwan blocking Anakin's force push with another force push , that also make sense.. but blocking a flaming hot lightsaber that can melt a spaceship bulkhead ?? definitely a rare skill and not a padawan's bag of tricks..

correct me if im wrong, but at that time satele still a padawan right ? she just lost her husband or her master (the zabrak jedi that got killed by 2 sith) ..

Her Master, and while she was a Padawan in Return, she's aged visibly in Hope (despite the former being released after the latter). The Hope trailer is, I would guess, not very long before the current game time. The trooper in it even shows up in the storyline more than once on the Republic side (I can't remember if it's a class or planet storyline, though). What I can never understand is how people figure that's Darth Malgus. Looks nothing like him at all.

Satele used Energy Absorption. She was channeling the Lighsaber's energy into herself without it harming her. She probably prepped it quickly when he cut her saberstaff in two. Vader actually used it on Bespin to absorb Han's blaster bolts. Hal and Corran Horn also knew it and Corran used it instinctively during a duel once. In fact, that novel "I, Jedi" was where it was first compared to Vader's trick on Cloud City, I think. I could be wrong, since it's been years since I read it... though I do remember it being portrayed that way in that book.

Her Master, and while she was a Padawan in Return, she's aged visibly in Hope (despite the former being released after the latter). The Hope trailer is, I would guess, not very long before the current game time. The trooper in it even shows up in the storyline more than once on the Republic side (I can't remember if it's a class or planet storyline, though). What I can never understand is how people figure that's Darth Malgus. Looks nothing like him at all.

COL Malcom is the "surprise" Bonus Series quest giver for Republic Alderaan at around level 40. You first talk to a Nautolan Major, who then hands you off to the good Colonel.

the power is not just impressive, but its hard to accept.. Youda blocking lightning from Dooku or lightning from Emperor, that makes sense , Obiwan blocking Anakin's force push with another force push , that also make sense.. but blocking a flaming hot lightsaber that can melt a spaceship bulkhead ?? definitely a rare skill and not a padawan's bag of tricks..

While she was a Padawan in the Return Trailer, that is the one where her master was killed, she was a full Knight in the Hope Trailer. The Ability used is called Tutaminis. It is a rare abilitity that allows a user to absorb energy and redirect it, either by deflecting it or by converting the energy absorbed into another Force ability, as she did by using the absorbed energy to Force Push Malgus into that mountain. (It was questioned whether that was Malgus or not, yes it was. Malgus is featured in all three trailers. They show his progression from Apprentice to Darth.)

Yes, it is hard to accept as we have become accustomed to believing that nothing but another Lightsaber can truly block a Lightsaber but, it is only the natural evolution from blocking blaster bolts with one's bare hands. Lightsabers are nothing more than an evolution of Blasters as they are based upon the same technology. Jedi took the design of a blaster and figured out how to freeze and control the length of the blaster bolt.

Its called Tutaminis.

She seems to be one of the more gifted users of that particular skill, however. The only other people that could do the same that I can think of off of the top of my head would be the Horn family (Coran and his children) and the Skywalker/Solo family.

Darth Vader didn't block Han Solo's blaster fire on Cloud City, he absorbed the energy from it and then used the excess to take Han's blaster from him. So really, Han gave Vader the energy to take his blaster (though Vader could have just done it anyway).

Edited by Aximand

it's dumb honestly. And another reason, despite my enjoying MANY EU stories, that EU isn't and shouldn't be part of "canon"

the weakest force-sensitive toddler is more powerful than we EVER see ANY Jedi, including Yoda, in the movies....blocking a lightsaber with her hand? sure it "looked" cool..but when you think about it, if you have any sense, it's stupid beyond belief considering the precedence set about jedi/sith power in the movies and why ONLY the movies are canon.

EU (SWTOR included) just get's downright silly with each writer trying to outdo each other.

I mean c'mon

What I can never understand is how people figure that's Darth Malgus. Looks nothing like him at all.

I can confirm it's him: even though I can't understand how can't you see the similarities, the "Deceived" novel makes it clear that it's Malgus (simply read the first chapter and you'll get it).

As regard as EU Jedi being "overpowered", I personally think the reason has to be found in two facts: the first is that the Jedi (and Republic) culture hadn't seen actual war for a thousand years therefore the Jedi training (and mentality) might have focused much, much less on combat than the one of the Jedi who lived in the past eges. Another explaination, which I use to better understand the change of style between the two trilogies (from fast to slow paced et cetera) is that the "lack of visible power", both during lightsaber combat and force power usage, is due to ongoing mental (and sentimental as regard as the Original Trilogy) battles parallel to the seen combat.

it's dumb honestly. And another reason, despite my enjoying MANY EU stories, that EU isn't and shouldn't be part of "canon"

the weakest force-sensitive toddler is more powerful than we EVER see ANY Jedi, including Yoda, in the movies....blocking a lightsaber with her hand? sure it "looked" cool..but when you think about it, if you have any sense, it's stupid beyond belief considering the precedence set about jedi/sith power in the movies and why ONLY the movies are canon.

EU (SWTOR included) just get's downright silly with each writer trying to outdo each other.

I mean c'mon

As has been stated TWICE already, once by me and once by Aximand, VADER HIMSELF used the ability (on a slightly less dramatic scale) during Empire Strikes Back to absorb Han's shots in the Bespin dining hall. So it has a place in canon right there.

I mean c'mon

The force can do pretty much anything, when the force user in question puts their mind to it. So blocking a lightsaber(which is a tool not the main weapon of a jedi) isn't that big of a stretch, especially compared with other force users doing more extreme things with it.

Ok

This is from the opening movie SWTOR when Satele Shan stopped Darth Malgus lightsaber thrust and block his advances by using her hand (or hands) without getting burned or amputated.. I never see jedi or sith stopping or blocking lightsaber with their BARE hands (like kungfu movies where the protagonist stopped enemy blade by clapping the blade with both hands, wont work in a lightsaber combat imho)..

The only other incident i remember is from Darkhorse SW Comics where a Jedi Student fight a mock combat with his master and his master only use a flimsy walking stick to block the saber attacks (ultimately the stick broke when the student uses 2 lightsaber to attack his master).

Are there any reference on other SW materials / stories about this ? i dont mean blocking lightsaber with Electrostaff like General Grievous's Guards, but blocking lightsabers with bare hands and other weak materials like sticks..

The only thing I can think of is from the TT RP game, a force power called Energy Absorption where IF you had a high enough skill you could block any form of energy with your hands, the caption in the book described Darth Vader blocking the bolts from Han Solos blaster in Bespin as a medium use of the power.

Not entirely sure, but I think the events from "Hope" are ~ 10-12 years before the current game as it was in the end of the war and the game takes place 10 years after the treaty was signed. Again, I am not entirely sure

Stopping lightsabers with bare hands is more (new) Star Wars EU bullsh*t. Ugh... It's about as stupid as making a fleet of warships in space explode using the force, or forcing a Star Destroyer to crash onto a planet surface using the force.

It's like these idiots in the Star Wars EU coming up with dumb things to try to outdo each other.

I'm waiting for the force user that can implode the galaxy with a mere thought, and some poor, hapless fools have to try to stop him.

Edited by LemmingLeader

I think it's too hard to say what 'rank' of Jedi Satele was when she 'hand blocked' a light saber. We know that Malgus wasn't a Darth and that Satele had seemingly supassed him in as a force user - suggesting that she had surpassed her master.

I think it was 10 - 20 years before the start of this game.

All that said it looked cool. But on a subjective level I didn't care for it.

according to I, Jedi, The ability to absorb and redirect energy is one of the rarest of jedi gifts. The Horn family line was incredibly skilled with this ability, at the cost of zero skill in telekinesis. If they wanted to throw someone, they first had to absorb a lot of extra energy to do it.

Stopping a lightsaber is one of those things that only one in a billion jedi can pull off, and only because they have specifically worked to hone that talent.

You have to remember that most of the "jedi ultrapowers" either take decades of training, the luck of genetics, or the "chosen one" feat. The force has unlimited potential, and there are more force using traditions than jedi and sith who take their learning in completely different directions. the baran do sages do a lot of electro-magnetic stuff with the force (plo-koon even managed to create light side force lightning), the aang-ti monks focus on shifting time and space, and the jedi and sith mostly work with kinetic energy and manipulation of biological proccesses (and sith have lightning).

EDIT: I should also point out that when drawing heavily on the force, the mortal body was never meant to handle that kind of power, Force overload is a situation where the users cells actually start bursting from to much use. The jedi who force melded to throw a dozen star destroyers out of the system did so at the cost of doorsk 81's life. He literally was a charred husk when the ritual ended.

Edited by spencer_

that EU isn't and shouldn't be part of "canon"

You can have your opinion but that is not how it is. EU is clearly and officially part of the SW Cannon wither you like it or not. You quite frankly have no say in it.

And even with the difference between G and C cannon, the EU is a universe unto itself, so anything that happens in the EU is going to be part of the EU cannon, even if it has no effect on the Movie cannon.

i'm going to say she put up a force shield that covered only her hand, just a tiny little hand shield

The actual answer has been given a number of times. You should read the thread before stating your theory.

The actual answer has been given a number of times. You should read the thread before stating your theory.

i didn't like the answers i read, so i offered my own opinon. and i did read the thread ty. i read how it had been done by vader, and i read how the canon argument rages on. when a thread is only 3 pages long its fine to read, if a 70page thread i might miss a few pages on :p

i didn't like the answers i read, so i offered my own opinon. and i did read the thread ty. i read how it had been done by vader, and i read how the canon argument rages on. when a thread is only 3 pages long its fine to read, if a 70page thread i might miss a few pages on :p

Doesn't matter if you liked them or not, you are providing a wrong answer.