Color Blind Option?

DarkkChaos

So, I'm new to the whole MMO scene....but been playing SWTOR for about a month now and I'm loving it!

I've noticed though, as I now crafting an such....that blue/purple and pretty tough to tell the bloody difference! I've found in a few other cases the same thing, is my kit RED or ORANGE???

Was told by friends that WOW has a color blind option - just curious if anyone knows if there is an option in this game?

I've looked through my preferences....but didn't see anything. Was thinking of sending an email to support as a possible 'suggestion' for a future patch. I'm sure I'm not the ONLY color blind person to play this game.....:rolleyes:

I'll agree for the sake of others that this would be nice, but there is one little thing I'd like to clear up, first.

You say you can't really tell the difference between blue and purple stuff. Don't purple mods have advanced in front of them, and purple gear have mod slots?

There isn't a color-blind option that I know of. A handy thing to do, though, is to set your crafting skill window to "Rating" as opposed to "difficulty." That way, it puts all the things you can craft that have the highest skills at the top of the list.

I'll agree for the sake of others that this would be nice, but there is one little thing I'd like to clear up, first.

You say you can't really tell the difference between blue and purple stuff. Don't purple mods have advanced in front of them, and purple gear have mod slots?

^that's also true. But with things like item mods, they don't change names until they get to purple. For instance, (Green) Fervor Enhancement 13 is still called Fervor Enhancement 13 when it's blue. It doesn't change to Advanced Fervor Enhancement 13 till it's purple.

When you have things that are weildable, they'll start out with the regular name: ie (Green) Memory Power Generator. Then you'll crit, and you'll get something with an extra word, like (Blue) Overkill Memory Power Generator or (Blue) Redoubt Memory Power Generator. Then you'll crit on one of those and you'd get (Purple) Advanced Overkill Memory Power Generator, etc etc.

You know on the crafting menu there is a dropdown menu on the top with an option to choose to display only items of a certain quality.

If you then choose to display only artifact quality items you will know which ones are purples, because those will be the only ones being shown.

And so on...

My Significant Other is colour blind and he used to play SW:TOR (he's not going to renew his sub when his current game time card has expired). This is sort of irrelevant but it was just my way of saying that you're not alone!! ^_^

This is definitely something they should implement, I'm actually shocked that it wasn't thought of (by me or Bioware) before now!!

This is a very interesting predicament. I can imagine a very simple idea is under listings for the itnes it might say:

Item class: custom

Or

Item class: prototype

Etc.

I'm not color blind, so I can experience it, I'm not sure what colors you cannot see. Anyways, I give support.

I never would have thought of it...

Ps- I don't think there is a "red" item type. No offense.

Not every item is a mod.

Crafted equipment will have a prefix (18 different ones, 3 blue, 15* purple).

Here are the prefixes and the attribute it modifies in parens

-Critcal (Critical)

----Fervor(Accuracy)

----Supremecy(Alacrity)

----Leadership(Presense)

----Endowment(Surge)

----Tempest(Shield)

-Overkill(Power)

----Hawkeye(Accuracy)

----Vehemence(Alacrity)

----Commander(Presense)

----Expert(Surge)

----Rampart(Shield)

-Redoubt(Defense)

----Exactitude(Accuracy)

----Not In Game*(Alacrity)

----General(Presense)

----Anti-Armor(Surge)

----Veracity(Shield)

Mats have nothing.

Edited by Owsley

Thanks all for the info!

Seems like I'm not the only one who tends to struggle.

Yes, most times (with mods and such) it's fairly easy to tell that there is a difference. But I can pick up a piece of kit - loot, and honestly have no idea if it's yellow, green or orange!

Hopefully something will be built into the game - I know it's early, and there's a ton of room for improvements! :)

So, I'm new to the whole MMO scene....but been playing SWTOR for about a month now and I'm loving it!

I've noticed though, as I now crafting an such....that blue/purple and pretty tough to tell the bloody difference! I've found in a few other cases the same thing, is my kit RED or ORANGE???

Was told by friends that WOW has a color blind option - just curious if anyone knows if there is an option in this game?

I've looked through my preferences....but didn't see anything. Was thinking of sending an email to support as a possible 'suggestion' for a future patch. I'm sure I'm not the ONLY color blind person to play this game.....:rolleyes:

I feel your pain, I am in the same boat.

• 3 years later...
Please add a colorblind option. Some of our poor guildies are having serious difficulties with some operations!

Bumpping this to the top hoping Bioware will offer an option or a solution out of game.

Ooo, necro... but understandable in this case :)

If you want Bioware to do something... post a comment in the General > Suggestion Box forum area. Posting here and expecting an official Bioware eye to fall on the comment or thread is not going to help.

• 3 years later...

OK - pulling up an old thread here...

Returning player here - excited to find that there's a new equipment level! Seems that I only ever get greens though.... NOPE! The new level's colour code is *EXACTLY* the colour that green looks like if you're red/green colour blind - you actually couldn't have chosen a closer match if you'd tried!

Now 1 in 10 human males have defective colour vision so some extent - and the most common form is red/green (50%) - which actually means that 1 in 20 males - 5% - will have this defect to some extent...

I seem to remember, in 2012, that BW said that putting a colour-blind option in was "top of their list" - so, seven years later, will this appear soon?

OK - pulling up an old thread here...

Returning player here - excited to find that there's a new equipment level! Seems that I only ever get greens though.... NOPE! The new level's colour code is *EXACTLY* the colour that green looks like if you're red/green colour blind - you actually couldn't have chosen a closer match if you'd tried!

Disclaimer: I have no trace of colour blindness. The only person that I ever knew to be colour-blind had almost no colour vision at all.

The new colour dates back to v5.0, December 2016, and it's *yellow*. It includes 236 (tier 2 command crates), 242 (tier 3), 248 (tier 4), and 258 (tier 5, Ossus only).

And of course the numbers remain clearly visible and are clearly different (numerically). Ultimately, the important thing is the ratings and the stats, not the colour. That said, important information should not be distinguished solely by colour, especially not red-vs-green.(1)

(1) In safety-critical applications, a device's operational state ("healthy" vs "needs repairs") is never allowed to be indicated by red-for-danger, nor red-bad/green-good. Red/green is bad because of colour blindness, and lights-red-when-broken is bad because the device cannot indicate its bad condition if the lamp isn't working. Given all that, such equipment usually has a green light that goes out when the device decides it isn't working properly (or is powered off).