Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Naming and renaming characters has become an impossible task.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Naming and renaming characters has become an impossible task.

Qouivandes
09.05.2019 , 10:51 AM | #71
you could also use googletranslate or any translation program and use other languages to develop a name.
you could then change that other language name up a little. My forum name is derived from Quo Vadis which i developed from an old WoW Warlock i was creating.

to this date, I have only had one issue with naming a toon and that was Sophia after a character from the Walking Dead. since it was taken i went found alternate ways of spelling the name. i eventually settled on Sofija.

however, googletranslate has been my best friend. you can even take phrases, find the other language sentence and then break it down to resemble a name.
*.**.* The Cer'qeuil Legacy *.**.*
*.*.* Ebon Hawk *. *.*
. This is my referral link. We both get some goodies so feel free to click and earn

Toraak
09.05.2019 , 11:03 AM | #72
you can use a random naming generator from google. I have not had issues doing that for years. People need to learn to use more Diverse names, and take advantage of the space available to us.
Referral Link: www.swtor.com/r/Q4Tp3P

Storm-Cutter
09.05.2019 , 11:20 AM | #73
If nothing comes to mind with a new toon, press 6 to 10 letters at random, add a few vowels and feed it into one of those online anagram solvers, that give you all the combinations.

That's how BW came up with LAna Beniko after all.

-I'm sure in all the combinations there'll be something that takes your fancy.

OR chop and change letters from something you like, towns, football clubs, cycling heroes, anything really.

Naming is only hard if you're not original, and wanna be called Boba Fett or Darth Vader or Shae Vizla - which are against the ToS anyway.
-Storm Cutter.
Like my comment? Refer me and also give a homeless Bantha a new start in life. Just click here.
Cool lightsabre art: ****.**================

Ellisande
09.13.2019 , 08:19 AM | #74
I agree. All the good names I want are taken. They should have switched to a system where your legacy name gets appended to your character name or use the @soandso like they do in Star Trek Online. The tiny amount of confusion is an acceptable tradeoff for letting everyone get the name they want.

ANd no, double naming isn't an acceptable solution. A character name should be like a first name and only be a single word.

There is also a common pattern to the names used in all languages such that there is actually a great deal of similarity. Names are things by which people use to identify and call out to each other so they must be quick and easy. The social pressures which led the names used in every major human language would be the same social pressures constraining names used by nonhumans too.

Also I'm still pissed that i lost Femshep in the one of the name purges.
Quote: Originally Posted by cjohnk View Post
You can't add completely arbitrary assumptions on to someone's statement. When a statement is made, take it for what it is not for what it could be if you tack on 7 more words of your own choosing.

JediQuaker
09.13.2019 , 10:15 AM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by Ellisande View Post
They should have switched to a system where your legacy name gets appended to your character name

Names are things by which people use to identify and call out to each other so they must be quick and easy.

Also I'm still pissed that i lost Femshep in the one of the name purges.
Not that I've tried (so maybe it wouldn't work), but, since you can use a space in a name, perhaps you could use your legacy name as the second part of your name, after the space. To avoid awkwardness, you would then turn off the display of your actual legacy name. That is to say, if your Legacy name was Smith, perhaps you could use a name like "Femshep Smith" and turn off the legacy name display so that it's not Femshep Smith Smith.

As far as the "quick and easy" name goes, that's why people say AOC instead of her full name. But, I've known (of) lots of people with relatively long Indian/Pakistany and Welsh names, so "quick and easy" is not always true across cultures.
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will - Yoda..

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

SteveTheCynic
09.14.2019 , 02:16 AM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by Ellisande View Post
They should have switched to a system where your legacy name gets appended to your character name
How could that work? Legacy names are not unique. That has been baked into the system since version 1.3.7 was released in September 2012.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

denavin
09.14.2019 , 03:01 AM | #77
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
How could that work? Legacy names are not unique. That has been baked into the system since version 1.3.7 was released in September 2012.
I think what they are talking about is First and Last name not Legacy name. Some games let you use a First and Last name combo to increase the available names.
HK-55: "Do you think she passed her test?"
Z0-OM: "According to my sensors.... NO
."

SteveTheCynic
09.14.2019 , 03:46 AM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by denavin View Post
I think what they are talking about is First and Last name not Legacy name. Some games let you use a First and Last name combo to increase the available names.
Indeed. One of them is called "Star Wars: the Old Republic".
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

Ardrossan
09.14.2019 , 09:58 AM | #79
I kind of understand where the OP is coming from, but only to a degree. Mainly I think he lacks imagination.

My default name scheme has been descriptor adjectives. My earliest characters had names like Fickle, Carefree, Prosper, Triumph. I lost a lot of chars in the merge, and have been bringing them back slowly. I noticed that, for instance, Prosper and Triumph got taken, so I changed them to Prospers and Triumphing.

I always name Cathar after famous cats, especially from the play, but other people have caught on to this idea, so the window is narrowing. I have Griddlebone, Verdauga Greeneyes [Redwall] and I used to have Coricopat, who became Tantomile after a server transfer, and then at the merger became Old Deuteronomy. Not my best name.

I always name bounty hunters after business-related jargon. Cost Effective, Mercantile [which was taken in the merger and became Maureen Mercantile], Incentivize.

I always name troopers after military slang. DILLIGAF, Blue Falcon, Ricky Fishing, Hometown Hero, Chest Candy [I'm surprised that one snuck through the censors].

I had a short run of using the scheme 'Color + Alliterative Noun', thus Claret Crescendo, Iris Imbroglio. The noun usually relates to the class spec, so Crescendo is TK Sage, Imbroglio is a dps scoundrel.

I also like to name characters for obscure in-game references: Thermodraft, Efficacious, Spectacious. I particularly like collecting names of characters who are mentioned but aren't actual NPCs, but that's very tricky.

Finally, if I'm feeling uncreative - like during the merge, when I had to create new names for about 20 characters on the spot - I just use a generic first name and their previous name. So Chester Carefree, Richard Reprobate, Susan Shrewd, etc.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Companions are a crutch for the weak.

Tashia
09.14.2019 , 10:01 PM | #80
I've never had problems -- I have one name that is taken on the other NA server, but have already picked another --
so no biggie ...
I happen to like the good old --- ' ---- works well for my names and seems to fit the toon too ( my Chiss JK name has one, my Chiss agent has two --- it works )

I also use a name for my little human that I have used for years in another game -- and she hasn't been taken on the other NA server ( and YES, I have her reserved just in case ) ... be original and be willing to compromise
Everquest to Star Wars Old Republic .....
from Swords and Shields to Blasters and Rockets .......