Why do players like SW:TOR more than WOW:CATA? User score comparisons...

inseeisyou

I'm wondering why players seem to prefer SW:TOR over WOW:CATA. I feel that user scores and other aggregate ratings paint a better pictures of a game's quality as they don't give a handful of very vocal players or writers undue influence on the outcome. I reference Cataclysm because it represents the most "current" incarnation of WoW compared to SW:TOR.

GAMESPOT USER SCORES:

Star Wars: The Old Republic (2335 votes): 8.6

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm (2255 votes): 8.0

METACRITIC USER SCORES:

Star Wars: The Old Republic (1469 votes): 5.9

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm (386 votes): 5.2

IGN SCORES:

Star Wars: The Old Republic (27 votes): 9.1

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm (598 votes): 7.3

Thoughts?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People just like the VO and how easy SWTOR is. People hated Cata because the difficulty level was so much different from that of previous xpacs.

From a pure game play stand point you can not argue that SWTOR is better than WoW. WoW's combat engine and customization UI are just vastly superior to that of SWTOR. And before you cry, "zomg it's only been out a month", look at Rift. Rift has a combat engine just as good as WoW's.

i like the customisability and features the game has in cata but after 7 years im sick to the back teeth of wow.

physically cant bring myself to login. (cant deny how good a game it has been for me though)

im enjoying playing tor but im missing the customisability and features that cata has.

go figure huh :D

Edited by supZ

I cant really pinpoint what exactly has me so enthralled with SWTOR that i havent logged back to WoW since the 14th, please note I am not saying WoW is bad its a great game and will continue to be.

I was never even a huge Star Wars Fan but I've loved every BioWare game I have played, yes that includes DA2 get over it; I absolutely love the whole feel of the game I can see this release as a brilliant foundation for a game with tons of possibilities for the future and I can't wait to see where BioWare takes it.

Yes it has bugs but so does every other MMO release ever. I personally have yet to encounter bugs that qualify as game breaking, hell Ive seen WoW patch launches worse than this games release.

Bottom line is I find that this games overall feel just suits me better.

I don't think you can really compare the two. Cataclysm caused WoW to bleed 2M accounts (so far), because they decided to swing the pendulum away from Wrath. Turns out the people loved the difficulty level in Wrath (see: not much difficulty) because it allowed you to play with whoever you wanted. When they tuned it up with Cata, it was like hitting a brick wall.

SWTOR lets people be successful in solo, group, and in some cases pvp. What developers will learn over time is that making things really difficult only caters to the hardcore raider base, which alienates 95% of your customer base. They just want to log on and play with their friends. They don't want to watch videos, read strat sites, min/max abilities, max out rotations, and worry about class balances.

Because SWTOR is better.... Sorry I played WoW Since beta, and I canceled my WoW sub second this game came out. I have been having a blast, I am sub to SWTOR for 6 months, and have nothing but praise for this game over WoW.

It has its bugs, it has features missing, but none of those are enough to bother me (and will be fixed soon). WoW was grindy, boring, and has one of the most boring leveling experiences in any MMO. Leveling in Bioware, the attention to detail in combat, is mind blowingly fun.

Will SWTOR over take WoW? Probably not, but I am happy with it being a strong second place in the market, which it currently is.

Well, first off....

People create drone accounts just to downvote games on metacritic. We all know that. You can't trust WoW score or TOR's score for that matter.

There are literally hundreds of troll/drone reviews on both games just to keep their scores down.

Second, Cata was fun but I am sick of WoW and the attitude in that game. The community is straight up hostile. I played for 7 years and I met some of the rudest, ignorant, angry, selfish nerds that I've ever talked to.

While these forums are vitriolic at times, the in game community so, so much better.

This game is also new! Its fun! You can sink your teeth into a new game, with new choices and new concepts.

I really liked Cataclysm until the they nerfed the first tier to make way for the Firelands patch. The raids were exactly where they needed to be. Challenging but still easy, with a challenging end boss for each raid. Alas the damage had already been done in the previous expansion by it's constant coddling of the most extreme "casual". Firelands brought non raid content in the form of daily quests, oh yay! /sarcasm. Every new raid should come with small group instance, that is the one thing Blizzard did do right at the ends of WOTLK and Cataclysm and something I hope Bioware picks up on. Edited by RocNessMonster

People just like the VO and how easy SWTOR is. People hated Cata because the difficulty level was so much different from that of previous xpacs.

From a pure game play stand point you can not argue that SWTOR is better than WoW. WoW's combat engine and customization UI are just vastly superior to that of SWTOR. And before you cry, "zomg it's only been out a month", look at Rift. Rift has a combat engine just as good as WoW's.

Or you could just say that some people feel that TOR is Superior to wow in every way. ;)

bugs? yes

Changes to certain things that need to be made? yes

Still far better? imho vastly.

WoW is a mid life-end life game.

SWTOR is a new born

sure WoW has features that SWTOR doesn't, and in a few aspects its a smoother game. however as SWT|OR grows and matures it will over take WoW, and will go on to be bigger and better.

and in 7-10 years time on some new forum boards ppl will be arguing about a new game vs SWTOR. some of us will be there saying SWTOR is better. and had a better release, had more features and content, and is a smoother less buggy game. but in time this new game will go on to be bigger and better

and thus the circle is complete and we all start again :p

I'm wondering why players seem to prefer SW:TOR over WOW:CATA. I feel that user scores and other aggregate ratings paint a better pictures of a game's quality as they don't give a handful of very vocal players or writers undue influence on the outcome. I reference Cataclysm because it represents the most "current" incarnation of WoW compared to SW:TOR.

GAMESPOT USER SCORES:

Star Wars: The Old Republic (2335 votes): 8.6

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm (2255 votes): 8.0

METACRITIC USER SCORES:

Star Wars: The Old Republic (1469 votes): 5.9

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm (386 votes): 5.2

IGN SCORES:

Star Wars: The Old Republic (27 votes): 9.1

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm (598 votes): 7.3

Thoughts?

Lower scores for Cataclysm are from long-time players who dislike "change". But if taken in context, Cataclysm is a much better game than Vanilla WoW, hands down.

Never played WoW, don't plan on it.

I play TOR and would guess I will for at least the next year, if not longer (based on the fact I played another MMO for 4 years and I like TOR better).

Appeal factor, fun, story, graphics... just a few things about TOR.

Metacritic user scores are worthless (way too easy to create false accounts).

For me, ToR is just a lot more fun. I enjoy my different story based quests. WoW was just over simplified the last couple of expansions. GC has a very different idea of fun than I do.

Well, first off....

People create drone accounts just to downvote games on metacritic. We all know that. You can't trust WoW score or TOR's score for that matter.

There are literally hundreds of troll/drone reviews on both games just to keep their scores down.

Second, Cata was fun but I am sick of WoW and the attitude in that game. The community is straight up hostile. I played for 7 years and I met some of the rudest, ignorant, angry, selfish nerds that I've ever talked to.

While these forums are vitriolic at times, the in game community so, so much better.

This game is also new! Its fun! You can sink your teeth into a new game, with new choices and new concepts.

Think you nailed it here.

I'll also just add that I don't think you can argue that the leveling up experience in this game is much more fun (I said fun, not better. That's a discussion for a different thread) than WoW's.

SWTOR is the only MMO I have played where It could actually hold my interest to max level. SWTOR isn't anything close to the grind almost every other MMO is. It also provides the most refine ans hassle-free questing experience of any mmo I have played. the directions to complete each quest are almost always perfect.

For a casual player like me, SWTOR is freaking awesome. Just hit 50 and I feel like I have a lot to do.