Aussie Server Maintenance

Karsaris

Why are the Aussie servers going down for maintenance in the prime time of playable hours for us Aussie's?

The U.S. server go down at 2am so why don't the servers in Australia go down at 2am AEST?

A Little Unfair!!!!!!!!!

Also why are the forums shut down as well?

Some people used the maintenance time to check out forums, Like they did with WoW to catch up on anything new.

Edited by Karsaris

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We Aussies had to fight the red zone embargo to play the game, put up with lag while we played, and have maintenance once or twice a week in our prime time yet thet Harbinger was one of the busiest servers and now Dalbora is. The Moral for Bioware and their US customers from this is you have to "treat em mean to keep em keen", since they got the game so easy they take it for granted and dont love it like us aussies do, remedy this by chainging maintenance times to US prime time and you will see an increase in server numbers on your US servers.

Because they have to keep 1 global maintenance schedule. It's just how it has to work.

They don't have to do that, but they have decided that's what they're going to do.

meanwhile I have 35 mins to play tonight (typing while in loading screen, plenty of time) and when our DST starts in April the servers will already be shut down by the time I get home from work. Repeat until October. -.-'

I'm an Aussie an dI played i nthe closed betas, open beta's, and still play. The reason they do this is because its easier to do an entire global patch rather than multiple patches.

If the Oceanic servers went down at a different time then your patcher would conflict as it would still have to update/patch your game for the other US/Euro servers in order to login. Then your version of game would clash with the server and it would basically end life as we know it.

You need to be on the same version as the server. WHat you are asking is physically impossible as there is only a single login server with multiple gaming servers.

Correct, they don't have to pull down all the servers at the same time.....Bioware just seem to think that its cool to state they provide a world wide service that runs all at the same time. Weird.

Personally you would think it would be better customer service to not pull servers down during prime time....they'd win more fans that way.

Meanwhile, brace yourself for this thread to be flooded with the usual "sorry I'm alive" crowd that seem to think we must accept everything every company does without question, and just be greatful we can give them our money.

Correct, they don't have to pull down all the servers at the same time.....Bioware just seem to think that its cool to state they provide a world wide service that runs all at the same time. Weird..

You would be incorrect.. To do maintenance on all the servers, they have to all be brought down..

Welcome to a world wide service in a connected society.. Nothing wierd about it..

I fail to see why these threads have to be created every Monday night.. Nobody likes maintenance.. But we all have to deal with it.. ;)

Edited by MajikMyst

How long have the servers been down already? Just curious as they're not supposed to go down until 8am GMT and it's currently not even 7am GMT, yet they are already offline. Usually i'm not here during the maintenance so have never noticed whether them going down early is a regular thing or not. Edited by Kabaal

Just a lil heads up no they don't have to do it global plenty of other online games have learned this simple lesson, have server sign in upfront prior to load and patches can be delivered per region per server it really is a bit of egg on the face that Bioware is such a big company and can't make this happen it just boggles the mind tbh :confused:

The only really bad thing about maintenance times is the onset of daylight savings.. (or removal? I never can keep it straight). What was 19 hour time difference to pacific west coast US is now 18 and will be 17 when AUS times change (except QLD, strange buggers). so where servers had been going down at 7pm (aus-east), giving an hour and a bit of time to play before going off to do life things, now you get home and it's already down!

8 hour downtime means it'll be down til after I sleep, provided it's down for the full time, which doesn't usually happen. I'd have been happy with the 10min window I thought I had before downtime today, but the time change has screwed up my time-zone understandings I guess.

Kick a man while he's down. If 7pm sydney time isn't bad enough, todays maintenance came an hour early at 6pm.

I empathise with the EU. Both regions have shared the problem, but until now we haven't really had a formal leg to stand on given we were forced to play on US servers. Now we have oceanic servers I feel we have a case to argue also.

After paying for a good or service we are not reasonably provided we are entitled to a refund. I suggest we create a petition to recoup these lost funds, or we get our maintenance during our off-peek time

Why not use section 16 of the US-AUS free trade agreement? Contact the ACCC and Fair trading.

In any case the notification on the forums is wrong Server maintenance is a 6PM AEDT not AEST...

AEST atm is Queensland time. So it's an hour earlier than what it was last week and previously.

To put things into perspective, SW:TOR has given to aussies in 3 months, something that WoW still can't give after 8 years.

Aussie servers on aussie soil.

So c'mon now, cut them some slack. Saying things like they don't care is really a stretch.

Though if people are complaining about 1 day per week maintenance, this is a good sign for Bioware because it means people are passionate about the game that they want to play everyday.

Edited by ConradLionhart

To put things into perspective, SW:TOR has given to aussies in 3 months, something that WoW still can't give after 8 years.

Aussie servers on aussie soil.

So c'mon now, cut them some slack. Saying things like they don't care is really a stretch.

Though if people are complaining about 1 day per week maintenance, this is a good sign for Bioware because it means people are passionate about the game that they want to play everyday.

It's a good sign for bioware that customers are complaining? That's an odd way of looking at things.

While I feel your pain as well as EU's pain Bioware will never change because apparently keeping 3 schedules based on 3 different markets is too hard. However, redzoning people for launch to delay them based on the maret is cool and easy enough to do.

Firstly, OP asked why? a lot of the responses aren't actually answers to the question, just a statement saying "Learn to deal with it". Doesnt really shed any light on the question asked.

I can not understand why Aus/Euro prime time is the one most active time that gets affected by these updates. Seems a little unfair and shortsighted on the planning side. Population has nothing to do with it, we paid as much as anyone else to purchase and subscribe.

We Aussies and the Euro's are a fair bunch and I think that if the server maintenance was staggered so that if a region is going to have their prime time affected it's not the same region every time. Change it up a bit so that every region has to experience a prime time outage, at least THAT would be fair.

Or is asking for fairness like trying to network a dictionary with a book case??

First thing to remember is that life isn't fair, so fairness has nothing at all to do with this. Now, here's my guess as to why right now all maintenance is done at the same time.

The team that is doing the maintenance and patching is small, as is the team who is there to address and correct any errors and bugs that pop up during the application of the patch. Small at least in comparison to the deployment of the software (i.e. game). They are also being asked to change their entire work, sleep and social schedule for those days when a patch is applied. That's part of the job, and it's not always fun. I can attest to that, because I just got home from overnight work, which is part of my job even though my normal work schedule is 7:30am to 4:00pm Monday through Friday.

Currently it's not economically feasible to create teams for for each region in order to appease everyone and make things convenient for all. The game has only been out for three months now! Yes, you feel like you are second class subscribers because of where you live. I'm pretty confident judging by BioWare's actions thus far that in time there will be at least two if not three separate maintenance schedules, separating each region. You do have a right to comment, but this topic has been beaten to death pretty badly for a long time now. Really, the only options are to be patient, stop playing, or help to develop gaming companies in your country.

You would be incorrect.. To do maintenance on all the servers, they have to all be brought down..

Welcome to a world wide service in a connected society.. Nothing wierd about it..

I fail to see why these threads have to be created every Monday night.. Nobody likes maintenance.. But we all have to deal with it.. ;)

Of course they can split maintances...... that doesn't mean they will.

EU times are annoying (being in mid-peak times), but fur AU servers it's pretty much in Prime Time which seems willfully obsinate of Bioware, and just isn't a good customer service move (and I can't see how it can ever be painted as such).

While it would be nice to get our own downtime you really need to understand what this means.

I can see the conversation now.

Aussies to Bioware: "We want downtime in our offpeak or I'm unsubbing"

Bioware to Aussies: "Yeah no worries mate"

Patch comes

Aussies to Bioware: "*** why can't connect to any US servers"

Bioware to Aussies: "You have been patched to later patch, they are still on the old patch, you cannot connect to them"

Aussies to Bioware: "But all my friends play on US servers, I want to be able to connect to any server or I'm unsubbing"