Starguard/Rycer love

Broba

A lot of people seem to be QQing about bombers and flashfires, not to mention the neverending butthurtedness about gunships. But I see that the starguard/rycer gets absolutely no love, or hate. A well built Strike Fighter easily has the best balance between high dps and survivability. Not to mention they are hands down the best shield eaters in the game (argue with me that ion rails are better, but I find their accuracy highly unreliable and only useful for their spammable qualities). So lets get some love for the true starfighter, a team friendly, kill hungry Starguard.

I actually like the rapid fires for my 2nd primary, they have a very nice firing arc and if someone is that close to me its generally because they survived at half my energy bar worth of heavy laser shots so the low power consumption is a bonus. The damage isn't good but it seems to serve as a decent finisher for folks who get close and out of your heavy's firing arc.

Strike Fighters are indeed cool, but the Rycer/Starguard definitely lacks a viable close range laser option to pair up with Heavy Lasers.

Crapid Fire Lasers are so bad that people rather choose Quads for close range combat. :p

The Ion Laser is the ships money maker and people never seem to use it.

I actually like the rapid fires for my 2nd primary, they have a very nice firing arc and if someone is that close to me its generally because they survived at half my energy bar worth of heavy laser shots so the low power consumption is a bonus. The damage isn't good but it seems to serve as a decent finisher for folks who get close and out of your heavy's firing arc.

But there are other laser choices which would do the job much better and most of all faster.

The Ion Laser is the ships money maker and people never seem to use it.

Ion Lasers are best paired with Quads, because both have their most effective range at around 3000m.

That still leaves us with Crapids to pair up with Heavies.

But there are other laser choices which would do the job much better and most of all faster.

Ion Lasers are best paired with Quads, because both have their most effective range at around 3000m.

That still leaves us with Crapids to pair up with Heavies.

who says you need to pair up rapids, with heavies? Use the ions to knock out shields and rapids to melt hull. Rapids are extremely useful for finishing off opponents due to their extremely generous firing arc.

ion lasers

rapid lasers

cluster missiles

barrel roll

quick charge shield

large reactor

power thruster

range or damage capacitor

munitions or power pool extender

this is the build that will allow you top of the match DPS paired with survivability to unimpeededly dominate your opponents.

who says you need to pair up rapids, with heavies? Use the ions to knock out shields and rapids to melt hull. Rapids are extremely useful for finishing off opponents due to their extremely generous firing arc.

You dont't get the point.

I'm talking about a weapon to pair up with Heavies, not a weapon to pair up with Rapids.

And as i already said, there are MUCH better lasers to finish off an enemy. Rapids do horrible damage.

Furthermore, our close range lasers shouldn't only be useful to finish off an enemy. They should be useful for all-around dogfighting, which Rapids aren't.

Most people will complain, but imo Burst lasers would be the best option for the Rycer/Starguard. If any ship would benefit the most from them, than it's this.

Heavy Lasers to rule the space at long range -> Burst Lasers to rule at close range. This combination would fit the Strike Fighters intended role of a "space superiority fighter" the best. (Not to mention that Strikers would finally be competitive with Flashfires/Stings at dogfighting.

Edited by Sindariel

I can see your point about discrepancies with long range fighting, however if this is your mode of attack you are not utilizing this ship properly. The Starguards best build is flown mid to close range. With faster, albeit weaker weapons. Their is a lot of upside to heavy lasers and concussion missiles. But it's the little pews that are most effective. No matter what your primary blaster choice is, having it paired with ion lasers is the absolute must with the fighter. Just a couple of hits allows you to work against a ship missing it's primary source of damage mitigation. So use those heavies, use them all day and I can't contest with you that they are effective, but use them proceeding your ions to absolutely be able to rock this ship

I can see your point about discrepancies with long range fighting, however if this is your mode of attack you are not utilizing this ship properly. The Starguards best build is flown mid to close range.

I prefer close and mid range fighting, since i mainly fly a scout. And my current weapon choice on the Rycer is the Quad and Ion combo.

BUT we have the option to use Heavy Lasers for long range purposes. It's just that we don't have another weapon which would synergize with them except the horrible rapids.

It would be another topic if Rapids wouldn't be so inferior. Their huge firing arc is the only advantage that makes them halfway useful.

Edited by Sindariel

Their huge firing arc is the only advantage that makes them halfway useful.

This is my main use for them. They are especially useful when fighting on satellites where you need those extra degrees to actually hit your target.

This is my main use for them. They are especially useful when fighting on satellites where you need those extra degrees to actually hit your target.

But how long does it take you to kill him with those little peashots? And wouldn't it be more effective to simply boost away, turn around and kill him with your quads? In my experience, it is.

No matter if you're flying a strike fighter or a scout, turning fights are always the worst option. Even in my scout, i always avoid them as much as possible.

not long at all. use dem cluster missiles dude. my main point of mentioning the star guard is their use of the ion lasers not to compare the other lasers.

Yeah, sorry to derail your thread.

I just wish the Rycer/starguard would have another purpose outside of having an ion cannon.

Yeah, sorry to derail your thread.

I just wish the Rycer/starguard would have another purpose outside of having an ion cannon.

no problem, thats the purpose of discussion. I can tolerate their one dimensional nature as they are probably the only high production ship that won't get hit with a nerf bomb any time soon

lights would have better damage with a slightly worse arc but worse power consumption, as a main weapon i would prefer them but as a backup the low power use of the rapids edges them out imho.

bursts would be flat out better with the exception of power use, perhaps too much better for balance.

We know you hate rapids. Their numbers indeed seem inferior. But for sanity's sake, people out there are using them effectively which makes your rants somehow invalid. Of course bursts are stronger at close range, but bursts aren't an option on every single ship, and rapids can well replace them with a small change of playstyle.

Tiny potshots? 100 damage points less than my quads, twice the fire rate, twice the accuracy in turning fight, way lesser energy consumption. While you go away and turn to finish them with your quads, my tiny potshots have already dealt 500 damage. Not to mention the enemy will not just stand still waiting for you to do your 180° and come back.

Rapids have their good use, and just because you don't play the style that utilizes them, doesn't mean they are useless and crappy. Star Guard is one of ships that is godly with rapids. Ion gets shields down fast and rapids do deal enough damage at very good rate, range and area to finish even evading enemy. Not to mention if paired with clusters, then even the bomber won't have 5 seconds of life.