Does reporting do anything?

Ralph_Panda

Is there any proof reporting actually achieves everything?

Because there seems to be a lot of elitism, insults, angry caps lock rage, afking on purpose or just rageleaving etc on higher level content...

How do they expect getting new players if they are greeted with that behavior the moment they reach the endgame

The chat ban often happens from spamming too fast rather then active moderator action.

It is my observation that there are certain behaviors that can eventually get corrected, especially if a lot of players constantly get on the reporting.

For example, bioware allowing folks to tell others they should commit suicide after losing a PVP match does not look good should a person told that actually commit suicide.

Some one told me an under age person was using their account for Warzones/GSF/Conquest. I stayed polite to the person but recorded the time stamp and reported it. I did not see that player for a week.

They continued doing what they were doing.

Then I didn't see them for 30 days.

Then they went back to what they were doing.

Then they weren't around at all.

I'd guess each interval I didn't see them was lengthening moderator action.

Overall, it seems the games relies on robots rather than humans. Some things may get flagged for a human to glance at.

Edited by ThrakhathSpawn

Because there seems to be a lot of elitism, insults, angry caps lock rage, afking on purpose or just rageleaving etc on higher level content...

How do they expect getting new players if they are greeted with that behavior the moment they reach the endgame

Yes there is proof, me.

Speaking from personal experience measured by the ton, I can most certainly assure you reporting can do things. Thing is, it isn't applied unilaterally and moderators can excersize discretion. Different moderators might be more hard noses than others. It is also depends on your record of infractions, but in-game bans are rare for non-serious offenses, for most people at any rate.

If you were reported on for a 'non-serious infractions', you'd get a warning, if I was you wouldn't see me for the next three months. Some moderators have no sense of humor.

In general, you'll get a warning first, non-serious offenses from a different cateogory, you'll probably another warning. mostly you'll only get baned in-game if you have multiple infractions and any one of which is deemed a serious offense. Discretionly, 3 days, 1 week, 1 month. You can always appeal an in-game ban, but if you're recieving in-game bans, you're probably guilty anyways heh. They don't really care what people do normaly in game unless someone reported them and provided proof of a 'serious'. offence. As far as most players are concerned there are no serious offences and tattle-tailing is gayer than Bruce Jenner.

Regarding the examples you made

In game bans -

Elitism no,

Insults hell no,

Cap locked spamming, only in truly excessive amounts and you'll probably just get squelched for a while

AFKing - No chance.

Rage Quitting, even less than no chance.

Being treated poorly by some other players at end game from time to time is virtually a right of passage and a Trial by fire to see if your thick-skinned enough to be shown some respect. It's kinda like a getting 'jumped in initiation into gang'. A couple of black eyes, a slight bone fracture, and you're good to go. heh :D

Everybody goes through when they get into end game for a while. Always respond in kind.

If they banned people for those things, there'd be no one left to play the game..

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

The chat ban often happens from spamming too fast rather then active moderator action.

It is my observation that there are certain behaviors that can eventually get corrected, especially if a lot of players constantly get on the reporting.

For example, bioware allowing folks to tell others they should commit suicide after losing a PVP match does not look good should a person told that actually commit suicide.

Some one told me an under age person was using their account for Warzones/GSF/Conquest. I stayed polite to the person but recorded the time stamp and reported it. I did not see that player for a week.

Overall, it seems the games relies on robots rather than humans. Some things may get flagged for a human to glance at.

ummm under age banned? wont happen as there is no rule about it

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=148012

mod him self says if your under the age blah blah blah

Lets be very clear. I won't, and a Lot of other players are no longer tolerating Pvp maps we don't want to play on, and We will leave any time we want. Would people rather us curse all the time and whine and complain and do nothing??

Depends i guess for some people. But no MMO even try's to tell their subs that they have to play something they will not due, because they will lose too many subs that way

Rage quitting, is something where i would rather someone leave, or i would rather leave than get pissed off and take it out on others, or because some people don't care to try at all in some Pvp, Fps and Ops.

That's what grown ups are supposed to do, leave before blowing up. I would rather people do that than making a situation worse when no one has to play anything period.

Edited by MandFlurry

Why on earth would you report someone for allowing their underage child to play a game?!

That's a jerk move. No rules against it. Especially if they weren't hurting anything. Just you being a jerk.

Why on earth would you report someone for allowing their underage child to play a game?!

That's a jerk move. No rules against it. Especially if they weren't hurting anything. Just you being a jerk.

Hate to say it, but Rogue right. Nothing wrong with a family member or even sometimes a friend using someones account once in awhile, as long as they aren't doing something against ToS or doing something that isn't very legal.

It's pretty much a grey area.

Being treated poorly by some other players at end game from time to time is virtually a right of passage and a Trial by fire to see if your thick-skinned enough to be shown some respect. It's kinda like a getting 'jumped in initiation into gang'. A couple of black eyes, a slight bone fracture, and you're good to go. heh :D

Everybody goes through when they get into end game for a while. Always respond in kind.

If they banned people for those things, there'd be no one left to play the game..

That's a really counter-productive, immature attitude. It's nothing to do with "end game" initiation, it's just people being moronic and your approach to it just perpetuates the problem, leading to a more unpleasant environment for everyone.

Try calming down and thinking things through a little more.

This "mom", and I use the term loosely, was forcing her five and seven year old to que for WZ's all day so the "mom" could get her guild that didn't have other active players into top ten in conquest.

I thought I said that, but maybe not clear enough. I chose the word "useing" rather than "playing", but I guess that distinction was not strong enough.

I also at a past time had pugged into a raid with the "mom", and got to hear in voice chat how she treated her kids. If I had a name/address child services should have been sent.

This was abuse.

They weren't "playing the game", they were being abused so the "mom" could collect in game rewards.

Edited by ThrakhathSpawn

In game bans -

Elitism no,

Insults hell no,

Cap locked spamming, only in truly excessive amounts and you'll probably just get squelched for a while

AFKing - No chance.

Rage Quitting, even less than no chance.

Ah so the company doesnt want new players, only people willing enough to silently accept the abuse, got your point.

Edited by Ralph_Panda

Taken from the EA User Agreement that you have to agree to in order to install the game:

You must be at least 13 years of age (or such other minimum age as is applicable in your country of residence) to create an EA Account. If you are aged between the relevant minimum age and 18 (or the age of majority where you live), you and your parent or guardian must review this Agreement together. Parents and guardians are responsible for the acts of children under 18 years of age when using EA Services. EA recommends that parents and guardians familiarize themselves with parental controls on devices they provide their child.

You are responsible for the activity on your EA Account. Your EA Account may be suspended or terminated if someone else uses it to engage in activity that violates this Agreement.

I was initially going to use the above quote to refute Rogue's argument, and I suspect that anyone else looking to do so would find this text and consider the argument refuted. But looking at it the agreement does not specifically say that secondary users who are under 13 but behaving appropriately for the game will result in some kind of punishment. The section I have quoted may be badly worded, but the document was probably written by a lawyer who earns more while sitting on the toilet than the rest of us earn all day.

As I read it, it says that the person who owns the account must be at least 13, and that they are responsible for any activity on their account, even if they were not themselves logged in. A 12 year old playing the game and chatting normally is not breaking the agreement because they are not the account owner.

Granted, the game itself has an ESRB "Teen" rating, hence the account ownership limit being set at 13 years old. But unless there is another clause buried deep in the 200 pages of agreements that you say you have read, understand and agree with, I think the start of the section I have quoted would need to be "You, and any other players you allow to access your account, must be at least 13 years of age" to justify a ban based on the "I let underage children play on my account" scenario.

I think it comes down to an assumption that the "no account sharing" EULA clause that used to be very common in MMOs is also present in SWTOR, when that does not appear to be the case, unless I have missed it in the agreements. It would be interesting to see the discussion if some SWTOR CSRs are under the impression that this is a "no account sharing allowed" game, and are handing out bans on that basis.

That's a really counter-productive, immature attitude. It's nothing to do with "end game" initiation, it's just people being moronic and your approach to it just perpetuates the problem, leading to a more unpleasant environment for everyone.

Try calming down and thinking things through a little more.

You are right, it's not limited to just end game, however, once you start doing end game group content, PVP in particular, it absolutely positiving becomes far more frequient and far more viral.

Had I responded to his post and not said I what I said he wouldnt know that it gets worse than.

PVP is toxic as hell, I play on Star Forge with tons of people, I stand my by intial statement, conceding the point that its not only at end game, that's a fair critque and concede that point to you. That said, end game is far worse and pvp is notorious for toxicity, elitistism, rage quitting, insulting and at times worse afking becuse even if ya lose to still get ucs, they dont care it screws the other people. Ranked is filled with cheaters, wintraders, quece dodgers, account buying, hacks [limited hacks in all pvp but very little].

When you start end game PVP you need a very thick skin, you will be getting flamed and called bad and other things like

Git Gud

Kill yourself.

Don't ever quece again.

MadCuzBad

L2P

All that kind of happy horsecrap. You cant go one single day as a pvper at end game and see these toxic kinda things muliple times and its worse for new people and inexperienced people;. You have to whether it out until sucj a time as you get how things work, you improve some and you dont take crap, it absolutely gets better, but it never stops entirely and it will always happen again.

People try to blame loses and bad play on other people so they don't look like it was their fault even tho it was. Pointing fingers is everyday.

Find on PVPer on Star Forge who would disagree with that general overview and say that's not true.

Its part of the PVP subculture without question. You can still have fun, your not get crap all the time, but you cant excape the toxicity factor. It is a right of passage.

You are not doing anyone any favors by misrepresenting that state of affiars. We get thru and we get thick skinned or the people give up. You need to whether the mire. Better he know ahead of time than have to learn it the hardway. Thats how you can prepare.

I PVP everyday, and most times love it.

I stand by that appraisal as I don't make things that way, I just acknowledge them.

I stand by that appraisal as I don't make things that way, I just acknowledge them.

Please dont delude yourself you are somekind of neutral good person, you are just as bad as the toxic players who push away many new players in many games.

By considering it "normal" and saying it shouldnt be a punishable offense for bad behavior you choose to support such people and keep their existence safe, its easy to report people for harassment when they start using personal insults and kill threats because they are the emotional child on the internet and think there's no consequence.

By not doing that and just going "its normal yo" you continue this ugly toxic culture and then wonder why do more competitive focused games die, outside of casuals who are a vital part of any game, when you only try to be "hardcore" and "thick skinned" to feel strong(Which is delusional because you are literally tolerating bad behavior so you can feel better about yourself while ruining the environment) you push away anykind of player that might be interested.

Overwatch is competitive and can be bad but not as bad as most games because blizzard has an entire department dedicated to dealing with toxicity and asks people to report bad behavior unlike online dude bros going "lol its normal, ignore it so it ll continue forever"

But please, do keep telling yourself you are "neutral" and dont support either side even though your actions say different ;^)

Edited by Ralph_Panda

Death threats should be reported in pvp. Harassment by legacy should also be reported [ie getting ignored so you hop on an alt and continue whisper insulting the person]. The rest you mentioned such as the 'elitism' and the insults are imo irrelevant. I agree with Warrior there. Suck it up or don't pvp. I don't play Ranked for that specific reason [also queuing is much slower]. Regs has a bit of that but reporting is an overreaction imo.

Ralph Panda: You're welcome to disagree. You're welcome to, on your own, report anyone you choose. You are not welcome to shove your pov on me and insist that I am immoral for thinking that way and that normalizing hyper-offense culture is somehow preferable to the status quo. If I were following your rulebook, I could report you for bullying Warrior in this thread. It's no longer quite so nice when it gets turned on you.

Edited by Ardrossan

You are not welcome to shove your pov on me and insist that I am immoral for thinking that way.

Of course its a lot more easier to call yourself a good person than analyze the results of your actions to see what you actually are.

Life is easier in that fantasy i guess, sorry for pointing out the reality, i am clearly the evil person here for not reaffiring that fake view where you are a "good neutral" person even though the results of your actions shout otherwise. I wont bother with the delusions of people like you, keep ruining everything with your "neutrality"

Edited by Ralph_Panda

There is plenty of evidence, even in the forum here, that yes reporting does in fact get acted upon. That said, where PvP is concerned.. if you can't take some smack talk and trolling by other players... best to stay out of PvP.. because this is in fact part of normal human on human conflict (both in real life and in games).

Three things you need to be aware of though:

1) sometimes people will make spurious reports on other players, as a form of attempted griefing.. thinking they can get the studio to sanction a player just because they reported them. In reality.. the studio has to review every report, and compare it to in game logs (which are clearly extensive) and determine if the A) the report is even accurate and B) does what is reported = sanction worthy in the studios review. Also.. keep in mind.. the fact that you don't like something being done (particularly in PvP) does not mean it is actually a sanctionable offense... which is why the studio must review and determine (both in the context of the event where it happened, and the history of the player account being reported).

2) When you report someone in game... you the reporting party will NEVER be told the outcome from the studios review of your report.

3) Until the report is reviewed and a determination made, no action is taken against said reported player... because again.. the studio must confirm the reported behavior through their internal review process, and then decide if sanction is warranted. If the records on the account holder show it to be a first time offense... generally they will simply receive a warning. If it is a repeat minor offense, they may get a short ban. If it is a significant violation of the ToS, and is a persistent repeat in behavior.. they may very well get banned permanently.

Note: the above is essentially true for the forum as well when a player post or thread is reported.

Edited by Andryah

Death threats should be reported in pvp. Harassment by legacy should also be reported [ie getting ignored so you hop on an alt and continue whisper insulting the person]. The rest you mentioned such as the 'elitism' and the insults are imo irrelevant. I agree with Warrior there. Suck it up or don't pvp. I don't play Ranked for that specific reason [also queuing is much slower]. Regs has a bit of that but reporting is an overreaction imo.

Ralph Panda: You're welcome to disagree. You're welcome to, on your own, report anyone you choose. You are not welcome to shove your pov on me and insist that I am immoral for thinking that way and that normalizing hyper-offense culture is somehow preferable to the status quo. If I were following your rulebook, I could report you for bullying Warrior in this thread. It's no longer quite so nice when it gets turned on you.

^^ I agree with this assessment.

In PvP in particular... smack talk directed at your opponent is part and parcel to PvP. It is the nature of all human on human conflict. I would imagine that other then mail spam (which has it's own reporting methodology), and RMT trolling in chat channels, reported nasty behaviors in PvP is probably the biggest bucket of reports the studio has to review and make determinations on and I am sure the studio keeps the PvP component of the "smack talking" type behavior in context to normal PvP behaviors. Chat spamming has it's own automated mechanic so that seems to pretty well take care of itself.

Of course when in doubt... then report and move on... and the studio is the arbiter that decides. Keep in mind though.. if you keep reporting the same player for the same behaviors.... and then get snippy with the studio over it and try to harass them over any action or lack of action by the studio.. you may be sanctioned for harassing studio and studio staff too. So be mature, accurate, and objective about it.

NOW... here is a trap that some people fall into: A player tries to troll you or grief you and you report it.. and since it does not result in immediate action (remember.. review must be done, and determination made) some players get emotional and will lash out and grief or troll the other player. This can, and there have been reports that confirm this, cause you to be trolled into doing something that the troller/griefer can then report you for and get you sanctioned. <--- this does appear to be something some players get their jollies doing to other players.. so keep that in mind.

Edited by Andryah

This "mom", and I use the term loosely, was forcing her five and seven year old to que for WZ's all day so the "mom" could get her guild that didn't have other active players into top ten in conquest.

I thought I said that, but maybe not clear enough. I chose the word "useing" rather than "playing", but I guess that distinction was not strong enough.

I also at a past time had pugged into a raid with the "mom", and got to hear in voice chat how she treated her kids. If I had a name/address child services should have been sent.

This was abuse.

They weren't "playing the game", they were being abused so the "mom" could collect in game rewards.

You were correct in reporting this if what you say is accurate (none of can verify of course), and the studio under review, may or may not agree with you. This is precisely why the studio is the final arbiter in these things.

Ah so the company doesnt want new players, only people willing enough to silently accept the abuse, got your point.

Honestly.. you seem to want "care bare" mechanics and behaviors to prevail in PvP. I have no issue with you wanting this.... lots of people would love this, but you are simply not being realistic here.

Just because you personally do not like something in the way of player behavior, does not mean you are right and the other player deserves a ban. That is simply not a realistic viewpoint in the context of PvP.

Do you play PvP in any other online games? If so.. you would know everything I have posted in this thread and you would adopt a more realistic outlook and as someone else pointed out... grow a thicker skin.

Warrior is absolutely correct in my view, in his assessment in response to you list of pet peeves about behaviors. And I am essentially a "care bare" in MMOs with respect to player behaviors... but I am also a realist and understand that the game does not revolve around my personal view/wants/needs.

Edited by Andryah

You are right, it's not limited to just end game, however, once you start doing end game group content, PVP in particular, it absolutely positiving becomes far more frequient and far more viral.

Had I responded to his post and not said I what I said he wouldnt know that it gets worse than.

PVP is toxic as hell, I play on Star Forge with tons of people, I stand my by intial statement, conceding the point that its not only at end game, that's a fair critque and concede that point to you. That said, end game is far worse and pvp is notorious for toxicity, elitistism, rage quitting, insulting and at times worse afking becuse even if ya lose to still get ucs, they dont care it screws the other people. Ranked is filled with cheaters, wintraders, quece dodgers, account buying, hacks [limited hacks in all pvp but very little].

When you start end game PVP you need a very thick skin, you will be getting flamed and called bad and other things like

Git Gud

Kill yourself.

Don't ever quece again.

MadCuzBad

L2P

All that kind of happy horsecrap. You cant go one single day as a pvper at end game and see these toxic kinda things muliple times and its worse for new people and inexperienced people;. You have to whether it out until sucj a time as you get how things work, you improve some and you dont take crap, it absolutely gets better, but it never stops entirely and it will always happen again.

People try to blame loses and bad play on other people so they don't look like it was their fault even tho it was. Pointing fingers is everyday.

Find on PVPer on Star Forge who would disagree with that general overview and say that's not true.

Its part of the PVP subculture without question. You can still have fun, your not get crap all the time, but you cant excape the toxicity factor. It is a right of passage.

You are not doing anyone any favors by misrepresenting that state of affiars. We get thru and we get thick skinned or the people give up. You need to whether the mire. Better he know ahead of time than have to learn it the hardway. Thats how you can prepare.

I PVP everyday, and most times love it.

WayOfTheWarriorx and I may not always agree in forum discussion (which is in fact the very nature of discussion) ... but he is absolutely spot on with this detailed reply I quoted here. [Note: I am not an avid PvPer..... so don't try to play some pejorative card with me for agreeing with a PvPer who I know loves PvP and I trust his views on PvP.] I am objective enough to understand the dynamics of PvP and the odd and salty behaviors by the player pushing the keys in a PvP match. Anyone that finds it destroys their fun... Honestly.. PvP is not the right content for you.

What WayOfTheWarriorx has expressed here is essentially an accurate portrayal of the "price of admission" to MMO PvP. As such... playing PvP requires higher coping skills and adaptation then other parts of an MMO.

Edited by Andryah

<snipped>

Git Gud

Kill yourself.

Don't ever quece again.

MadCuzBad

L2P

All that kind of happy horsecrap. You cant go one single day as a pvper at end game and see these toxic kinda things muliple times and its worse for new people and inexperienced people;. You have to whether it out until sucj a time as you get how things work, you improve some and you dont take crap, it absolutely gets better, but it never stops entirely and it will always happen again. <snipped>

I've avoided ranked because my chances as a lightning sorcerer are doomed, however now I know what to expect I might venture in and close chat down.

As for OP's question - reporting credit spammers does not nothing. **** off from my mail-box spammers :mad: The one thing I miss from WoW is the spam blocker addon.

Please dont delude yourself you are somekind of neutral good person, you are just as bad as the toxic players who push away many new players in many games.

By considering it "normal" and saying it shouldnt be a punishable offense for bad behavior you choose to support such people and keep their existence safe, its easy to report people for harassment when they start using personal insults and kill threats because they are the emotional child on the internet and think there's no consequence.

By not doing that and just going "its normal yo" you continue this ugly toxic culture and then wonder why do more competitive focused games die, outside of casuals who are a vital part of any game, when you only try to be "hardcore" and "thick skinned" to feel strong(Which is delusional because you are literally tolerating bad behavior so you can feel better about yourself while ruining the environment) you push away anykind of player that might be interested.

Overwatch is competitive and can be bad but not as bad as most games because blizzard has an entire department dedicated to dealing with toxicity and asks people to report bad behavior unlike online dude bros going "lol its normal, ignore it so it ll continue forever"

But please, do keep telling yourself you are "neutral" and dont support either side even though your actions say different ;^)

I think you may be confusing me with God. I don't get a say in any of it. No one asked my opinion, no said that I should choose whether there will toxicity or not.

Here's the thing, I don't mind that you don't like what I'm saying, but understand something, I went thru it to, everyone does. You call me part of the problem because I answer his question honestly?

Do me a favor, go do some PVP. take a whole week and than come back and tell me whether I was right or wrong about the state of things and than explain to me how I had any friggen thing to do with it.

I don't care your disagreeing., but I have to say this, the manner in which you are some how making me out to be the problem like I can do one Fn thing about is the stupidest rebuttal I have ever heard.

From your stand point I know two things about you for a fact.

You have never PVPed in this game even one time.

And you are a liar straight up.

You got some balls telling me I'm some how culpable for crap that goes on that I even hate. What am I Zeus over here?, I can just chuckling lightning bolts into peoples asses in the game from the neather regions of Asgard with my divine friggen power because I'm all knowing, all seeing, all who give's a Rat's *** about what anyone ever says in an MMO.? I love it, I hope it stays this way forever, all part of my divine plan to try and rescue uber-dork gamers and save them from thier own virginity.

And please stop with the D&D reference Neutral uber-dork gamer analogy, I mean seriously, show some self respect so people don't already know your walking around with pen pocket protector and eye glasses that are taped in the middle and had broke. - Wow. Just wow. Say hi to Drizzit for me and have fun storming the castle while you are sucking up to the Dungeon Master next week when you and the other never-talked-to-an-actual-women without giving them your credit card number first guys get together in your basement on game night [Friday night, when normal people go out to meet women].

Now go stick your head back in the dirt like the rest of the ostrich's who are too afraid to look around to see if something is trying to sneak up on them to kill them for food.

Yeah I get it, El nino, Global Warming. the Polar ice caps melting, the San Andreas fault, the Tasmanian wolf extinction, Saddam, my bad. Sorry about that. How selfish of me.

I think you may be confusing me with God. I don't get a say in any of it. No asked my opinion, no said that I should choose whether there will toxicity or not.

Oh you are responsible for all this along with all the rest "neutral" types out there.

But due to lack of self awareness your mind refuses to follow up the results of your actions because you also need your "ima a good boy" construct to be safe and intact.

Toxic behavior is seen

What YOU do:

-Ignore it and do nothing about it

-Dont call it out

-Dont report it

-Call it normal and push others to also ignore it

-Tell people you think are new that they should tolerate ****** behavior cuz its normal

Result: Toxicity continues because angry emotional children know there's no consequences online for acting like that because everyone doesnt do anything a

Here's what people who actually CARE and want to improve things, aka people who ACT instead of being neutral and telling themselves they are a good person by supporting a terrible behavior :

-Call it out

-Report it

-When topic appears call it out as the terrible disgusting behavior it is and encourage people to report

-When a new players faces such behavior you tell them that it is sad and he should report such abusive behavior because it isnt acceptable by the community

Result: Toxicity is reduced by a little and more through time because angry emotional kids get punished for acting like angry emotional babies both by the games but also socially by the players.

But please keep telling yourself how "powerless" you are and what a good person you are whose actually totally dont support the continuation of such behavior even though poor you would totes do anything to stop if he could xD

The irony of thinking like you for a second there hurt xD