Another question on stats

ZRated

Read quite a few posts and "guides" on stat break down but really don't have a clear picture for one particular thing...

I have a Bounty Hunter and decided to heal more with it than anything. Been running Torian as my tank and keeping him healed... He seems to be able to kill faster than me anyways..

So as for stats... I am a bit confused with what to go on.. Not so much for this setup...but in general. As an example, Mako needs cunning and power to boost her heal numbers...but she wears medium armor. My BH wears heavy armor and there are no Heavy cunning sets unless I mod my armor up. I have read that power boosts healing, cunning boosts healing, etc.. etc.. My primary is aim/end for BH... Should I stick with this or should I switch my mods up to cunning?? Exactly what IS the primary stat for boosting heals?? And does it work for any class??

Everyone has two Primary stats, these are all you need to worry about, don't take into account what the primary stats of your companions or other characters do. As A Bounty Hunter, you need only worry about Aim and Endurance.

edit: To expand on that, the same goes for your companions, don't worry about what your primaries do for you, all that matters for them are their primary stats.

Edited by johnhughthom

Yes, as Aim goes up, your heals will go up. For your secondary, it's a matter of personal taste, with power your basic attacks and heals will improve, with crit and surge (which effects the percentage increase on a crit) your crits will happen more often and do more damage. I generally go with crit and surge upgrades.

For the millionth time:

Every class has only 1 primary stat.

For every class, whatever stat is their own primary stat will benefit ALL of their abilities, including healing.

The primary stat will not change, no matter which spec or role you take.

You should never put in your gear any other classes primary stats, only what is your own primary stat.

If you open your character sheet and mouse over your stats, putting mouse over your primary stat will show 4 or 5 different benefits, but putting mouse over other stats will show them to have only 1 or 2 benefits. (for companions or other characters with different primary stat, these will display different)

Edited by Eternalnight

PART II

While you should not put any cunning in gear for a bounty hunter, as for a class whose primary stat is aim, the aim will give all the benefits cunning would, + some more benefits that only aim will give, and putting cunning in there would only occupy a slot that could have aim instead.

However bounty hunter does still benefit partially from cunning, which is enough for it to be worth taking time to get cunning datacrons, as taking datacrons with other stats will not cause you to loose any aim.

I have read that power boosts healing, cunning boosts healing, etc.. etc.. My primary is aim/end for BH... Should I stick with this or should I switch my mods up to cunning?? Exactly what IS the primary stat for boosting heals?? And does it work for any class??

You read wrong :)

There is no primary stat for healing, just primary stats for a class. So for smugglers their primary stat is cunning, and their heals will improve with cunning (as will everything else they do). For bounty hunters the primary stat is aim, which will improve their healing and attacks.

Every class has a primary stat: learn it, memorise it and love it.

Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior = strength

Smuggler/Agent = cunning

Trooper/Bounty hunter = aim

Consular/Inquisitor = willpower

Secondary stats (such as power) are not so clear cut and have their own benefits depending on what kind of role you want to play.

Edited by shama

Yes, as Aim goes up, your heals will go up. For your secondary, it's a matter of personal taste, with power your basic attacks and heals will improve, with crit and surge (which effects the percentage increase on a crit) your crits will happen more often and do more damage. I generally go with crit and surge upgrades.

Since you didnt specifically say it i'll go ahead and say it. Crit and surge also affect your heals as well as your dps.

Secondary stats (such as power) are not so clear cut and have their own benefits depending on what kind of role you want to play.

That's what has thrown me off and why I made the original post. I know the primary stats for these classes but those secondary stats from posts and guides are what threw me off the most. I haven't read ALL of the threads since the game came out but, I never saw a clear answer until now that said "your primary will boost all stats for your class". So I went under the impression that certain primary stats are for certain types of playing.. Like healing... I was thinking "well, cunning looks like the stat I need for heals".

This thread helped a lot in clearing up the "schematics" of the stats. If I hadn't posted the question... I would have already stuck all cunning mods, etc. on my BH thinking that's how to make him a healer...

So....thanks all for the info and clearing up my confusion...and doing so without biting my head off with the "you should've known" attitude..which I hate.

So....thanks all for the info and clearing up my confusion...and doing so without biting my head off with the "you should've known" attitude..which I hate.

Hee, no problem. That's what a 'new player help' forum is supposed to be about right?

It doesn't always stay that way, and sometimes you can't help but wonder at some of the questions asked ("just google it!") but on the whole I think most people posting here understand that everyone is new and/or confused at some point.