? for a new Cybertechie

Tellerve

So I've been wondering if you are supposed to keep making and reverse engineering things you make when you have a better version of said item already. So, I have a blue armor 3, do I still make green armor 3s, or am I done with ever making green armor 3? I also have a purple mod 2 or something...do I make that and go for the reverse engineering on that?

I've read some guides but either not enough of them as I'm still a tad confused. Generally still intrigued and interested though.

cheers,

Tellerve

I know that some green items can break down into multiple types of blues.. as in, I was trying to unlock a blue belt once, so I was mass producing the base green belts. Ended up with 4-5 greens, and on the first deconstruct, I unlocked a "critical" blue design, then on the second deconstruct, I unlocked a different type of blue design.. The armor rating was the same, but they had slightly different stats.

However, I don't think you can unlock different types of 'blue' armor plates from the same green..

I could be wrong though

If your just trying to level your Cybertech stick with making the green items. To craft blue items you need a special metal from Underworld trading usually. The greens are just easier and take less resources. After you have made them RE them in order to get mats back. You can only get a recipe for RE that item 1 grade high, so green to blue. RE a blue gives you a chance at purple I believe.

So for leveling purposes stick with greens. If your going to try and sell items or make items for youself try and go for the blue recipes.

With the goal of keeping my character's and my companion's mods updated, I RE a green item and then stop once I get a blue item recipe from it. I only do this for mods/armoring that I will actually use, and am already able to make items a much higher level than I currently am.

Honestly, it doesn't seem worth it to try for anything beyond that especially for things that I will quickly out-level. If you wanted to make a business of selling mods though, it might be more useful to try to RE the blues for purples.

Edited by Gwena

Hmm, ok, thanks, that helps.

The hierarchy is green, blue, purple, orange correct?

Also, for things like earpieces, I have two I got from questing, but I'm using them on my characters. Should I risk RE'ing one to get a pattern or probably just look onto the GTN for a pattern instead? How else do you get the actual patterns? Raids? Aren't raids for end game?

Thanks again,

Tellerve

Hmm, ok, thanks, that helps.

The hierarchy is green, blue, purple, orange correct?

Also, for things like earpieces, I have two I got from questing, but I'm using them on my characters. Should I risk RE'ing one to get a pattern or probably just look onto the GTN for a pattern instead? How else do you get the actual patterns? Raids? Aren't raids for end game?

Thanks again,

Tellerve

i dont think you can re purples into orange. orange items are high lvl schematics that you can buy or find from raids/hard modes/ slicing

So I've been wondering if you are supposed to keep making and reverse engineering things you make when you have a better version of said item already. So, I have a blue armor 3, do I still make green armor 3s, or am I done with ever making green armor 3? I also have a purple mod 2 or something...do I make that and go for the reverse engineering on that?

I've read some guides but either not enough of them as I'm still a tad confused. Generally still intrigued and interested though.

cheers,

Tellerve

Don't RE the purple, there is nothing to learn after that.

With the greens, if you know the blues, there really is no reason to make the green version.

With Armoring and Mods, as far as I know, you don't get alternate versions when you continue reverse engineering after you've already gotten a pattern. My rule of thumb is that, if the name is the same, or has an Advanced stuck on it, then I'm done.

Ear-pieces, on the other hand, mostly have several blue versions per green prefix, and several purples per blue prefix. For instance, from RE'ing the green Entropic piece I've gotten blue patterns for Overkill Entropic and Critical Entropic. From RE'ing the blue Critical Entropic piece, I've gotten purple patterns for Leadership Entropic and Anti-Armor Entropic. And there are more versions for the different secondary stats.

Read the sticky for Reverse Engineering in this section of the forums, it should break it down for you in more detail.