Slicing fine as is!!!

Golin

I used to think that slicing was a horrible skill to have after the nerf... I was wrong. The real way that slicing shines is not in the crew missions ( They are horrible and only give a few hundred credits more then they cost!) No the way to use slicing is purely on world spawn locations. There are many of them depending on what world you are on, and they can give rare drops as well as the missions. I opened 34 boxes last night, found 8 purple missions/ recipes, and tons of credits as well.

-Please post any positive experiences with slicing, or positive suggestions to improve the crafting skill only please. Try to not get off topic, and the last thing this thread was made for is flaming or useless complaining.

I used to think that slicing was a horrible skill to have after the nerf... I was wrong. The real way that slicing shines is not in the crew missions ( They are horrible and only give a few hundred credits more then they cost!) No the way to use slicing is purely on world spawn locations. There are many of them depending on what world you are on, and they can give rare drops as well as the missions. I opened 34 boxes last night, found 8 purple missions/ recipes, and tons of credits as well.

-Please post any positive experiences with slicing, or positive suggestions to improve the crafting skill only please. Try to not get off topic, and the last thing this thread was made for is flaming or useless complaining.

I think slicing is still the most massively over-powered crew skill in the game. I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking of trashing out my six 'actually make something' crafters and just make all my toons slicers.

I know when I migrate servers so I can play all the emipre stories, I won't craft. It'll be pure slicing. It's still like printing money.

That seems like what it should be. I can't believe so many people are upset that they can't just send crew members to bring them bags of money, while they do other stuff.

They still do! It's a 30% Return on Investment. It's amazing. Then add in all the free money in all those lockboxes... ZOMG!!!!!!! My slicers are rolling in the dough. And that's after buying stuff on the AH...

You must be lucky with the skill missions if you are getting 30% return. I get maybe 300 credits more then I payed for the mission, lost my companion for 30 min, and very rarely recive any rares this method.

You must be lucky with the skill missions if you are getting 30% return. I get maybe 300 credits more then I payed for the mission, lost my companion for 30 min, and very rarely recive any rares this method.

That's what you get for sending them off on the 30 minute missions. At 400 slicing, the best returns are lower tier missions. Less time on the mission, and a skill level that gives decent return rates.

That's what you get for sending them off on the 30 minute missions. At 400 slicing, the best returns are lower tier missions. Less time on the mission, and a skill level that gives decent return rates.

What skill level missions are you sending them out on to maximize credits?

They still do! It's a 30% Return on Investment. It's amazing. Then add in all the free money in all those lockboxes... ZOMG!!!!!!! My slicers are rolling in the dough. And that's after buying stuff on the AH...

Which missions are you running? I keep sending out companions and seem to lose money on the majority of the missions, even the lower level ones.

Slicing is fine yes.

It is NOT about making credits but about getting augments and rare missions.

The fact that it "can" make credit is a bonus, but not the goal of the skill, the main source of credits income from it, are the slicing spots in the open world, especially at high level it is quite nice.

Which missions are you running? I keep sending out companions and seem to lose money on the majority of the missions, even the lower level ones.

As long as you are doing bountiful and rich lockbox missions, you should not be losing money other than the occasional failure.

I wish more slicers would send augment missions. On the two servers I've checked, they are behing sold rarely (very often I've been able to find ZERO aim of any level which means whatever is going up is selling as fast as it is listed) and at weird prices.

There's a goldmine in augments - just don't sell them at the recommended price. I'd glady pay a lot more for them. I usually go look for my primary stat first and when that isn't there I search crit (to show both alacrity and critical in one search) and surge. Sometimes I get an augment and sometimes I walk away with nothing in all four categories. This is on two differnet servers - someone smart might have the market on some servers but I know for a fact that at least two servers out there have thousands in profits being lost daily because people dont' seem to want to send out augment missions.

Yes, I started an alt and made her a slicer. And I only send augment missions and unless I get unlucky and get a pressence augment I always make a really nice profit on them. But the alt is low level and only has one companion and I'm not really interested in leveling her yet so I'm really hoping someone starts selling these so I can buy them on my main!

That seems like what it should be. I can't believe so many people are upset that they can't just send crew members to bring them bags of money, while they do other stuff.

LOL!! :rolleyes:

Ok, lets see now......

You have a crew skill, that by definition is the "ability" to send your crew members out to preform things while you do something else entirely. I mean that's the "entire" selling point of crew skills. And your comment is that people are complaining that they can't send crew members out to do what they could do, for money btw, while they do other things?!

I mean, you're saying that people shouldn't expect the crew members to actually do what they were designed to do?? :eek:

I've said it once I'll say it again. If you do your own slicing it's fine. You net money (ie: steal it from some poor smuck with a pitiful security system) because you hack it yourself, you don't ever fail, and/or if you do you just try the node again.

No real down side.

"BUT" if you decide to send out a companion, like as designed by the game, to do it for you, as BioWare said they were designing the game to allow you to do (see read all about it here from BioWare's own PR page) and it cost you "more money" to do this than if you took a break and did nothing but slicing yourself, then you have a broken skill.

If the sole reason it exist is to "make money" by hacking, and if you crit get you a rare item, having it cost you money by using crew means it's a poor skill to have as a "crew" skill since you obviously have to do it yourself. :rolleyes:

Think about it: If I do a small box I get 190 creds. If I send out a crew member it "COST" me 90 creds to get that 190. So I net 100. It's easier to just go my self and I get almost double the creds than if I send a crew member to do it. If they make money at it I mean. Sometimes its 90 creds for them to bring 63 credits back.

How is that not broken?

Edited by Risq

All the little black triangular weird looking things are slicing nodes. I believe the mini-computers are as well.

Im not sure what you're talking about but i never knew slicing had world locations. This really makes me think about getting it now. If they are as abundant as scavenger piles ill get it.

Ok, lets see now......

How is that not broken?

Slicing by definition is a GATHERING skill, not a MISSION skill. While out in the world you can GATHER lockboxes via slicing, junk nodes via scavenging, crystals and stuff via archaeology, bio stuff from bioanalysis. All of these also have missions to send out companions and return with some materials which if you simply tried to sell, would likely cost you money. (Except for Bio as every player seems to be leveling biochem currently)

You do not gather anything out in the world from Underworld Trading, Diplomacy, Investigation, or Treasure Hunting. Materials from these are generally good enough and in demand enough to sell for more than the mission cost.

In that list above please show me a single profession where by level 25 I could have 250k credits (post nerf). You can't.

So what part of this is broken?

Slicing by definition is a GATHERING skill, not a MISSION skill. While out in the world you can GATHER lockboxes via slicing, junk nodes via scavenging, crystals and stuff via archaeology, bio stuff from bioanalysis. All of these also have missions to send out companions and return with some materials which if you simply tried to sell, would likely cost you money. (Except for Bio as every player seems to be leveling biochem currently)

You do not gather anything out in the world from Underworld Trading, Diplomacy, Investigation, or Treasure Hunting. Materials from these are generally good enough and in demand enough to sell for more than the mission cost.

In that list above please show me a single profession where by level 25 I could have 250k credits (post nerf). You can't.

Uhhhmm,

I'm confused. I don't see your point.

Using Archaeology, or Scavenging, or Bioanalysis I can get items, heck any item including just plain jane everyday items, that I can sell on the GTN for money. And if you don't believe that just go check the GTN recently.

But there are also some items that you can "only" get if you have the skill because right now no one is selling them on there. So those are worthwhile skills.

What normal, regular item do you sell (and when I ask this I mean "base" regular items not something that you get that's rare find if you're lucky) that slicing brings in?

<....crickets...>

Yep that's right nothing. The sole purpose of slicing (disguised as a mission) is to send your companion out to "steal" or "find" something. That's it. It's to "get" money and other things if you're really, really, fortunate.

Now if you send your companion out and 3 out of 4 times he comes back either with nothing or just 1 of an item you might get a little upset. But as the other skills work often you come back with enough of something that allows you to make at least "one" item using that skill.

But with Slicing you can have your companion come back with, nothing, 30% "less" than you gave him\her to start out with, they might break even, or they can bring back up to 30% more. But the 30% more is often a crit, like when you get an extra item, so you can't count on it.

So, it's broken.

I still stand by my statement that slicing only works if you do it yourself and don't depend on a companion to do it for you. It cost way to much on the return.

This is supposed to be the happy slicing thread! There's already 100 of them for people who think it sucks...

I like slicing. I got it two days before the nerf but I got it for augments so the nerf meant nothing to me as I never send a lockbox mission anyway. I make money on it and I'm happy with it. It isn't a get rich quick skill anymore but as with any other tradeskill with a little bit of working the market there's profit to be made.

I wish more slicers would send augment missions. On the two servers I've checked, they are behing sold rarely (very often I've been able to find ZERO aim of any level which means whatever is going up is selling as fast as it is listed) and at weird prices.

There's a goldmine in augments - just don't sell them at the recommended price. I'd glady pay a lot more for them. I usually go look for my primary stat first and when that isn't there I search crit (to show both alacrity and critical in one search) and surge. Sometimes I get an augment and sometimes I walk away with nothing in all four categories. This is on two differnet servers - someone smart might have the market on some servers but I know for a fact that at least two servers out there have thousands in profits being lost daily because people dont' seem to want to send out augment missions.

Yes, I started an alt and made her a slicer. And I only send augment missions and unless I get unlucky and get a pressence augment I always make a really nice profit on them. But the alt is low level and only has one companion and I'm not really interested in leveling her yet so I'm really hoping someone starts selling these so I can buy them on my main!

You must have a lot more luck than most people, because from what I've heard, and my own experience, the only augments people buy are +25 or +28.

I leveled up Slicing by running both kinds of missions, and most of the augments I ended up selling to vendors, after people wouldn't buy them for peanuts on the GTN. There simply isn't enough equipment with augments slots during the leveling process. Most people just don't care, and get their equipment from quests and commendation dealers, which never have augment slots.

At 400 Slicing, the ONLY time I get augments are with Unlocked Slicing missions, which return a +28. Otherwise, you're paying around 2k for a RANDOM augment that will probably be green, and a stat that no one wants. Even if it is a good stat, most people don't want to put a green into a slotted piece of equipment.

People don't run augment missions because it's usually a massive waste of time and money. It's much better to pull in a minuscule trickle of credits from lock-box missions, and wait for the Unlocked Mission items so you can sell them on the GTN.

As far as the OP goes, Slicing is mostly OK, but it needs some adjustments. Negative returns on Slicing missions is dumb, since it's a chance at a loss in ADDITION to mission failures. They should at least break even relative to the cost of the mission. Also, the augment process needs to be changed so you aren't just randomly hoping for something useful. Running a rare and expensive Slicing mission only to get a +presence is like a kick in the gut.

Uhhhmm,

What normal, regular item do you sell (and when I ask this I mean "base" regular items not something that you get that's rare find if you're lucky) that slicing brings in?

<....crickets...>

Yep that's right nothing. The sole purpose of slicing (disguised as a mission) is to send your companion out to "steal" or "find" something. That's it. It's to "get" money and other things if you're really, really, fortunate.

World drops the other gathering skills get items they can use for crafting or sell on the GTN. As a slicer you get straight cash which might be worth more credits than other gathering nodes depending on your server and crew skill.

As far as slicing missions even if you just break even on lockboxes you will still make money selling the missions you get(which at top skill can gain you 5,000-25,000+ credits depending on the mission) and all this while just sending companions out while you do other things.

Slicing is just find for people only interested in gaining cash and not crafting.

250k credits by level 25? Anyone who doesn't care about crafting should be able to do that. Anyway, who cares? What is 250k? At higher levels, the money returned from Slicing missions is meaningless. I don't even care about the cases anymore; if a Slicing mission doesn't return a GOOD mission Unlock, then it was a failure. Honestly, I'm disappointed by anything except an Underworld Trading mission.

You want credits at high levels? Underworld Trading makes Slicing look small-time. No one will dispute that Slicing is great for leveling up, but end-game? Big deal.

RIGHT ON!!!!!!!

agree 110%

By design, you are not supposed to make a lot of credits using your companions anyway

Ok, lets see now......

You have a crew skill, that by definition is the "ability" to send your crew members out to preform things while you do something else entirely. I mean that's the "entire" selling point of crew skills. And your comment is that people are complaining that they can't send crew members out to do what they could do, for money btw, while they do other things?!

I mean, you're saying that people shouldn't expect the crew members to actually do what they were designed to do?? :eek:

I've said it once I'll say it again. If you do your own slicing it's fine. You net money (ie: steal it from some poor smuck with a pitiful security system) because you hack it yourself, you don't ever fail, and/or if you do you just try the node again.

No real down side.

"BUT" if you decide to send out a companion, like as designed by the game, to do it for you, as BioWare said they were designing the game to allow you to do (see read all about it here from BioWare's own PR page) and it cost you "more money" to do this than if you took a break and did nothing but slicing yourself, then you have a broken skill.

If the sole reason it exist is to "make money" by hacking, and if you crit get you a rare item, having it cost you money by using crew means it's a poor skill to have as a "crew" skill since you obviously have to do it yourself. :rolleyes:

Think about it: If I do a small box I get 190 creds. If I send out a crew member it "COST" me 90 creds to get that 190. So I net 100. It's easier to just go my self and I get almost double the creds than if I send a crew member to do it. If they make money at it I mean. Sometimes its 90 creds for them to bring 63 credits back.

How is that not broken?

Slicing is a gathering skill .. what will it take you people to understand this??

I mean it's written in black and white all over the place .. do you need it in bright neon lights as well?

You are not supposed to make huge profits with your companions .. it's gathering .. you make money by going out and gathering the nodes yourself

Try to keep this thread in the positive. Yes we all know slicing has some problems, this post is to talk about peoples positive experiences, and possible future changes that could be made to improve the skill as a whole.

-Like all mission skills this one should also have times where your companion finds nothing, but maybe for all skills it should give the cost back, or at least a portion of it. Also I think the rate of rare items from missions needs to be upped, or the time per mission needs to be decreased. So far from the missions I have found 3 rares.... and that is from sending them out since lvl 10-50.