Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tank gear optimization calculator

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles
Tank gear optimization calculator

KamikazeKommando
01.14.2015 , 04:37 PM | #1
Right, well since all the posts in this section went on vacation, I'll put up the link again to the tank gear optimization calculator for the benefit of those that haven't come across it yet or don't have it bookmarked. It's up to v2.0.4 now with some more major changes coming soon (like the ability to save/load your gear loadouts, define custom damage profiles, etc). Anyway, happy tanking and hopefully this tool is helpful for some trying to tweak your tank set.

http://www.kamikazetank.com

Cheers!
Kamikaze ~ Vanguard Jedi Covenant ~ <Pixel Perfect>
www.kamikazetank.com ~ Tank Itemization Comparison Tool

Naritara
01.16.2015 , 05:53 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by KamikazeKommando View Post
Right, well since all the posts in this section went on vacation, I'll put up the link again to the tank gear optimization calculator for the benefit of those that haven't come across it yet or don't have it bookmarked. It's up to v2.0.4 now with some more major changes coming soon (like the ability to save/load your gear loadouts, define custom damage profiles, etc). Anyway, happy tanking and hopefully this tool is helpful for some trying to tweak your tank set.

http://www.kamikazetank.com

Cheers!
Very nice, Im assuming this is just for Vanhuards with the passives built in? or can you adjust for any tank?
::: Mains: Ay'li - Mercenary DPS | Ayl'imei - Sniper DPS:::
::: Ay'limei - Sin Tank | Aylimei - Sorc Heal/DPS :::
::: Koturan - PT Tank | Ak'ame - Jugg Tank/DPS | Aylimai - OP Heal :::
::: Kara'luna - Sentinel DPS | Ka'raluna - Commando DPS:::

KamikazeKommando
01.16.2015 , 06:19 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Naritara View Post
Very nice, Im assuming this is just for Vanhuards with the passives built in? or can you adjust for any tank?
Yes, the old 1.x version had all the classes modeled and all the variations in gear included within item database (since some slots, mainly the ear/implants, would be different). The current 2.x version only supports Vanguards so far as the dynamic abilities that are modeled and the items in the gear database.

However, if you look just at the static/raw numbers, that doesn't have any of the class abilities in the model for the MMP/TTL calculations, so if you go into sections 2/3 you could change base values for your class and they would be accurate, with the caveat that at the moment you'd still be wearing heavy gear since the calculator does't know you may be a shadow and thus have light armor.

TL;DR = mainly for Vanguards in current form, other classes can benefit from the static models, less so for shadows since the simulator assumes heavy armor thus the Energy/Kinetic (Melee/Ranged) values for light armor will be inaccurate with the higher DR from armor.

Flyluke
01.19.2015 , 09:15 AM | #4
I would be interested on the basis of the different profiles?

Could you enter a description of the different profiles? Because I really had no clue what to select to match the different fights in the game.

Maybe including an avarage would be also cool.

But so far a really great tool, thank you for the work you have put into it!

KamikazeKommando
01.19.2015 , 09:42 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Flyluke View Post
Could you enter a description of the different profiles? Because I really had no clue what to select to match the different fights in the game.
The computed BiS configurations for the profiles listed on the right as based on finding the itemization that would yield the highest MMP or TTL assuming 100% of the incoming damage is that profile. So we have a max MMP or TTL for a damage profile with just Energy/Kinetic (Melee/Ranged), then another pair for just Energy/Kinetic (Force/Tech), and lastly a max TTL set for full Internal/Elemental (since MMP is meaningless there, can't mitigate any of that). Granted, there probably isn't a fight where 100% of the damage is isolated to just one damage type profile. Which brings me to your next point:

Maybe including an avarage would be also cool.
This is coming soon. As in, the ability to define a specific spread of the damage types, and incomming DPS. Such that, you could plug in (examples) a fight with 15k incoming DPS with 50% of the damage from En/Ki (M/R), 30% from type En/Ki (F/T), and 20% from In/El. Then, you could tell the calculator to compute the best itemization that would yield the highest MMP and TTL for that scenario. Ultimately, however, the calculator would take probably a minute to compute all the possible combinations to extract the best sets, it won't be instant.

A lot of the fights have quite different numbers, so a set that would contain the highest mitigation for one will not be so for another. I suppose in an extreme thought, one could plug in *multiple* scenarios (say all 5 bosses from TOR) then have it find the set that would yield the highest averaged MMP and TTL for them all in combination. I may need to think about that, could be an interesting experiment, though of course the computation time is going to increase quite a bit.

Flyluke
01.20.2015 , 05:51 AM | #6
Maybe a good starting point would be to implement 3 basic profiles (high M/R [70/15/15], high F/T [50/40/10], high In/El [40/20/40]) to get to something more boss fight like.

The numbers I have given are very rough estimations from the first 3 fights in the new HM ops but the extremes are very much reduced to avoid the suggested real extreme item loadouts ;-)

The fully costumizeable calc seems really really cool but I worry about server load if you want live online calc. So 1 min seems fine if only one person is using it ... but if people start to like it and use it more often the server will crash or disconnect. Parsecs story all over again.
I don't know how you want to implement the calc but thats a point to think about. Maybe a local calculator would be the better solution in that case. Server load only increases if people start downloading your client more and more.

Just a really wild idea at the end:
Someone stated that he has an automatic script to extract combat logs and evalute the damage ratios from that log. So I was thinking the optimal tanking tool would be to use your calc (local on the pc) to enter the log I just created, calculate the damage ratio I had in the selected fight and then have your calc show me what would be the optimal MMP and TTL for that specific fight and show me the difference to my current numbers on my gear.

I know that idea is very advanced and its just something I thought that would be optimal for all tanks in all scenarios I can think of, a hard boss fight, a specific pvp matchup and also later in nightmare fights. One more advantage would be to get optimal profiles for fights where avarge profiles are not yet available.

Loving the tool and the potential it has for the community =)

KamikazeKommando
01.20.2015 , 12:16 PM | #7
Maybe a good starting point would be to implement 3 basic profiles (high M/R [70/15/15], high F/T [50/40/10], high In/El [40/20/40]) to get to something more boss fight like.
Not a bad idea, I could also implement a drop down that would preload the profile for specific boss fights if I can get all the data put together for that, which would certainly be quite interesting.

The fully costumizeable calc seems really really cool but I worry about server load if you want live online calc. So 1 min seems fine if only one person is using it ... but if people start to like it and use it more often the server will crash or disconnect. Parsecs story all over again.
I don't know how you want to implement the calc but thats a point to think about. Maybe a local calculator would be the better solution in that case. Server load only increases if people start downloading your client more and more.
Thankfully, I implemented the program in pure JavaScript, so it is all client side and thus the amount of people on it simultaneously calculating profiles will not affect performance one bit. So the calculation work is all being done in each user's computer, and the speed of that will depend on the browser type/version and processor being used by the actual user.

Flyluke
01.21.2015 , 04:47 AM | #8
Not a bad idea, I could also implement a drop down that would preload the profile for specific boss fights if I can get all the data put together for that, which would certainly be quite interesting.
If you need any raw data from my runs just let me know. I can provide a couple of logs when I'm tanking ;-)
I would be glad to help

Thankfully, I implemented the program in pure JavaScript, so it is all client side and thus the amount of people on it simultaneously calculating profiles will not affect performance one bit. So the calculation work is all being done in each user's computer, and the speed of that will depend on the browser type/version and processor being used by the actual user.
Praise the programming skills =)

_nace_
01.25.2015 , 12:39 AM | #9
if you need logs I can provide logs for pretty much every single heroic mode as a pt tank. I also have some older logs as a juggernaut tank though it's only gonna be from the first 8 bosses.