Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How do you think my new build will do running SWTOR?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
How do you think my new build will do running SWTOR?

JediQuaker
11.27.2020 , 08:55 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Miffypiffy View Post
How in the blazes are You able to come up with a statement like this in 2020?
What computers comes with RAM that isn't 'fast enough' today?
The poster was possibly thinking about the fact that RAM speed does affect the performance of AMD CPUs and APUs.
With faster RAM you'd only drop down to 20.5 fps instead of 20.0 😏
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will - Yoda..

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

jedimasterjac
11.27.2020 , 10:04 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
The poster was possibly thinking about the fact that RAM speed does affect the performance of AMD CPUs and APUs.
Not that RAM speed has that much of an impact, but RAM in my last build was pretty garbage and I did update it. Helps in some other (non-SWTOR!) things.
Quote: Originally Posted by Grand Master Yoda
We are what they grow beyond. That is the burden of all masters.
Feel like I've said something good? Click my referral link for free goodies!

Kaveat
11.27.2020 , 02:02 PM | #13
As to AMD.. yeah, they have always had on again off again timing issues over the years, many of those issues dating back to when they first acquired DEC Alpha and retro'd those chips for consumer use.

For RAM in general, Once the industry standard shifted into DDR3, the majority of 'RAM speed' issues went away.
Spoiler
"Those who place profit above freedom generally end with neither." - Qui-gon
"Live alongside corruption for too long, and you no longer notice the stench" - Yoda
6.2.1 = GIGO [end of line]

FlameYOL
11.28.2020 , 07:46 AM | #14
A full 0.5 extra FPSWhat a bargain.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

JediQuaker
11.28.2020 , 08:29 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by FlameYOL View Post
A full 0.5 extra FPSWhat a bargain.
Don't get the wrong idea. Fast RAM for AMD chips does make a difference, especially for the APUs, where the man memory is shared with the graphics.
For current AMD CPUs and APUs (Cpu + Gpu), DDR4-3200 to 3600 is the current sweet spot for price/performance.

My only point was that, when it comes to the fps drops in PvP and OPs, RAM speed isn't going to make enough difference to even be noticeable. 🙂
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will - Yoda..

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

Croixxxx
11.28.2020 , 10:41 AM | #16
Personally.......as a gamer, I find tremendous comfort in having my fast high quality overclocked sticks for the times when it matters. I admit that I am a RAM enthusiast and actually have the patience to find the lower clocks that are stable to provide the best data transfer on my board. Always use the QVL from the motherboard manufacturer before going shopping for hardware. You can still be price savvy but have a great high performing pc. Don't forget that every piece of hardware is equally important to overall system performance. As a recommendation, aside from the mobo qvl, you should always go with the software also provided by the mobo manufacturer as ANYTHING else is a risk. hope this helps!!!

Edit: I am currently using https://www.gskill.com/product/165/166/1562839659/
These are the tried & true B-die that have extremely low latency when overclocked. Yes you will pay more for the die, but you have great versatility for lower timings and longevity if you wish to change boards. I don't do extreme overclocking for benchmarks as I take care of my hardware, but these sticks do exceptionally well for all gaming with really good stability for enthusiasts.

FlameYOL
11.29.2020 , 08:41 AM | #17
Don't get the wrong idea. Fast RAM for AMD chips does make a difference, especially for the APUs, where the man memory is shared with the graphics.
For current AMD CPUs and APUs (Cpu + Gpu), DDR4-3200 to 3600 is the current sweet spot for price/performance.

My only point was that, when it comes to the fps drops in PvP and OPs, RAM speed isn't going to make enough difference to even be noticeable. 🙂
Oh yeah I'm just memeing the game's poor performance
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything