Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How do you think my new build will do running SWTOR?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
How do you think my new build will do running SWTOR?

jedimasterjac
11.24.2020 , 09:27 AM | #1
So, long story short, my PC was in need of an upgrade, so I'm upgrading my CPU and getting a new Motherboard. I'm pretty sure it's a nice little upgrade, but I'm not totally the smartest person when it comes to PC specs/optimization, so I figured I'd post here and see what folks thought.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Processor
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F
GPU: GTX 1070 TI
Quote: Originally Posted by Grand Master Yoda
We are what they grow beyond. That is the burden of all masters.
Feel like I've said something good? Click my referral link for free goodies!

betaku
11.24.2020 , 09:56 AM | #2
Depend on your RAM speed.
Zyxpix - Sniper Beta'luna - Gunslinger
Zyx'l - MarauderToutesttaku - Sentinel
Darth Malgus
Gaming Rig

JediQuaker
11.24.2020 , 11:24 AM | #3
It should, work just fine in normal play - 100+ fps - but it will, of course drop down in PvP and OPs, but remain "playable".

You would be a bit better off with a 5600X and a B550 motherboard (for SWTOR) since the 5600X has slightly higher base and boost clocks and SWTOR doesn't need the extra cores. But it comes down to other factors such as cost and what other apps and games you use.
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will - Yoda..

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

DarkTergon
11.24.2020 , 12:44 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
It should, work just fine in normal play - 100+ fps - but it will, of course drop down in PvP and OPs, but remain "playable".

You would be a bit better off with a 5600X and a B550 motherboard (for SWTOR) since the 5600X has slightly higher base and boost clocks and SWTOR doesn't need the extra cores. But it comes down to other factors such as cost and what other apps and games you use.
Just don't compare it to the man using the nasa computers, and you'll do fine
{stupid is a hard barrier}
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMlVrbO_mAU&t=19s My Coruscant stronghold
Click for free goodies 💖💖💖💖
Long Live SWTOR!!!!

KnightKirkyBoy
11.24.2020 , 12:50 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by jedimasterjac View Post
So, long story short, my PC was in need of an upgrade, so I'm upgrading my CPU and getting a new Motherboard. I'm pretty sure it's a nice little upgrade, but I'm not totally the smartest person when it comes to PC specs/optimization, so I figured I'd post here and see what folks thought.

It's good enough to play swtor
Happy...... swtoring??? I don't bloody know lol!
"Do Or Do Not. There Is No Try." - Yoda
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/WRRdT4 - (Gives you 7 day free sub and items!)
"This Is The Way." - Din Djaring "There Is No Life Without The Force" - Me

Kaveat
11.25.2020 , 03:42 AM | #6

SWTOR is still 32bit, which means the number of cores/threads does not mean much to the game. What will tax it further is what else you may be doing while playing. OS demands, multiple GPU's/screens, streaming in/out (audio a/o video).. that is where the additional cores/threads will be handy.

For the game alone, anything that is quad core (base 4/x, not 2/2) and has a base *3GHz or better speed will be 'fine', but the faster the better.
(* : used to be 2.5GHz, but then they started 'forcing' more garbage on our screens).

Unless you have a 1070ti laying around (or donated), the cost vs a newer GPU is meh, so I would go newer. The power consumption under load alone makes it worth a few extra bucks for the newer option(s).

I will also throw out there that just about any SSD is a vast improvement over spinning rust, but if you want to maximize the bang for your buck, make sure to pay attention to both the write and read speeds.

A final tip: no matter what the component, look them up on the various benchmark sites to compare the 'documented specs' vs the 'real world' performances. There will always be some variance between the two, but you can start getting a better grasp on who publishes real info and is a bit more reliable vs who looks good on paper but is full of poodoo and should be avoided.
"Those who place profit above freedom generally end with neither." - Qui-gon
"Live alongside corruption for too long, and you no longer notice the stench" - Yoda
6.2.1 = GIGO [end of line]

jedimasterjac
11.25.2020 , 10:58 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaveat View Post
SWTOR is still 32bit, which means the number of cores/threads does not mean much to the game. What will tax it further is what else you may be doing while playing. OS demands, multiple GPU's/screens, streaming in/out (audio a/o video).. that is where the additional cores/threads will be handy.

For the game alone, anything that is quad core (base 4/x, not 2/2) and has a base *3GHz or better speed will be 'fine', but the faster the better.
(* : used to be 2.5GHz, but then they started 'forcing' more garbage on our screens).

Unless you have a 1070ti laying around (or donated), the cost vs a newer GPU is meh, so I would go newer. The power consumption under load alone makes it worth a few extra bucks for the newer option(s).

I will also throw out there that just about any SSD is a vast improvement over spinning rust, but if you want to maximize the bang for your buck, make sure to pay attention to both the write and read speeds.

A final tip: no matter what the component, look them up on the various benchmark sites to compare the 'documented specs' vs the 'real world' performances. There will always be some variance between the two, but you can start getting a better grasp on who publishes real info and is a bit more reliable vs who looks good on paper but is full of poodoo and should be avoided.
Thanks for all the input! I would've gone for a better price/performance as far as GPU goes, but the 1070 Ti was what I had in my old computer, and I couldn't really justify a new GPU when mine is already, well, more than good enough for my purposes.. I upgraded RAM, Motherboard, and CPU, and while I'm sure there're better builds, it didn't cost me an arm and a leg and I'm able to do WZs and Ops at 60+ FPS pretty consistently now, so I don't have much to complain about!
Quote: Originally Posted by Grand Master Yoda
We are what they grow beyond. That is the burden of all masters.
Feel like I've said something good? Click my referral link for free goodies!

NogueiraA
11.26.2020 , 01:57 PM | #8
Short answer: yes.

Level 75 pvp in the middle of 16 players using skills your fps WILL drop from 60.
Ops your fps should stay near or above 60.
1070Ti is a very good card for 1080p 60fps.
Leizen / Laizen
Jedi Guardian
BETA Tester

DavidAtkinson
11.27.2020 , 12:56 AM | #9

I have a similar build and I can tell you that you will run swtor perfectly in PVE , but sadly , you will still see drops in performance in PVP , like 60 fps - sometimes below that, but your experience will still be a good one(better than most have). Overall you have a very good system for most modern games except swtor that uses an engine from your grandpa's youth .

If you want to run swtor perfectly, you need to buy a very expensive CPU and I don't think it's worth it .. I know it isn't for me.
Darth Malgus Server
Delusional Marauder Main

Miffypiffy
11.27.2020 , 04:21 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by betaku View Post
Depend on your RAM speed.
How in the blazes are You able to come up with a statement like this in 2020?
What computers comes with RAM that isn't 'fast enough' today?
My referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/CktNRQ
Any clicks are highly appreciated.
A kitten will get its angel wings by doing so.