Finally, Import/Export Friends List

ChaosMageKing

So, I was reading on a guild website on a guild on Ebon Hawk that I'd come across, and I found this in their forums. It was posted literally just a little while back, and I tested it. And it seems to work as they advertised. I"ll include the original link, and then copy the instructions below.

Original Post

Now, here's the instructions.

Unify Friends Lists Across All Characters

Note: While this adds friends quite easily, it does have a few drawbacks. First, for a friend to add properly from another character, there must be a comment about the name. Second, if removing a friend from FL by deleting it from the file, it will remove the comment from the friend in game. So, use your comments. If someone's blank after using this, you know it's someone you wanna get rid of. Or, you can do like I do, and not bother pruning friend's lists until you actually think about it on an individual toon. From what I can tell, your friend's list is stored server side, and your comments are stored client side. But the client side will update the server side on login. But only in so far as adding. It can't remove. That must be server side.

Step One: Ensure you have one character with all desired friends and associated comments, as you want them.

Step Two: Log out of SWTOR and close the game.

Step Three: Navigate to C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings

Step Four: Make a backup of the settings folder. Just in case.

Step Five: Open the file of the character you made as your template. The file is labeled in similar fashion to this. Please know, your file's pretense numbers and letters may not match mine. The last part is what's important. Example: he2006_Erynyia_LocalSocialSettings

Step Six: Copy the entire contents of your template file and paste to each other file that has a character name followed by LocalSocialSettings. Ensure you overwrite the existing data, if you're certain of your template. Otherwise, open each character's social settings, build a list in an empty word document, following the proper syntax, and paste to each social settings file.

Step Seven: Ensure you save each file on close. And that's it, you're done.

So lateeeeeee...

I already lost the few friends I had ages ago (Thank you for your stupid expansion of Stronghold that tore my guild apart)...

Now it has a population of : 1

Question: Does it work on Ignore List ? like import Ignored peoples from Toons to Toons ?

• 2 years later...

FYI, this doesn't appear to work anymore (2.5 years later, I know).

I copied my character's LocalSocialSettings.ini file and renamed it to another character of the same faction, logged in on that character, and the list was unchanged. Adding a fresh comment to a pre-exiting friend on that list seems to wipe the "copied" contents of the file and replace it with the new comment that was set in-game.

Oh well xD

I copied my character's LocalSocialSettings.ini file and renamed it to another character of the same faction, logged in on that character, and the list was unchanged. Adding a fresh comment to a pre-exiting friend on that list seems to wipe the "copied" contents of the file and replace it with the new comment that was set in-game.

Oh well xD

I wouldn't have described the original "feature" as actually a feature, but rather an oddity of the way this data is stored.

And the OP's post is questionable in at least one way. The letters and numbers at the beginning are more than slightly important - they tell us which server the file belongs to. If you have two characters of the same name on different servers, you will e.g. have he2006_Kylath_LocalSocialSettings.ini and he2104_Kylath_LocalSocialSettings.ini, one for the server whose identifier is he2006 and one for he2104.

If you get the numbers wrong, the file won't be used at all.

And it's entirely possible that the original "feature" was a bug that was fixed somewhere along the way. It's the sort of bug that wouldn't make it into the patch notes because it's way too obscure.

I wouldn't have described the original "feature" as actually a feature, but rather an oddity of the way this data is stored.

And the OP's post is questionable in at least one way. The letters and numbers at the beginning are more than slightly important - they tell us which server the file belongs to. If you have two characters of the same name on different servers, you will e.g. have he2006_Kylath_LocalSocialSettings.ini and he2104_Kylath_LocalSocialSettings.ini, one for the server whose identifier is he2006 and one for he2104.

If you get the numbers wrong, the file won't be used at all.

And it's entirely possible that the original "feature" was a bug that was fixed somewhere along the way. It's the sort of bug that wouldn't make it into the patch notes because it's way too obscure.

I don't think anyone here described it as a "feature", haha. It's a bit of a hack for sure, but it would've been useful if it still worked. I am aware of the importance of the prefix numbers :). All of my characters are on the same server, and I always check their original settings files to make sure I'm getting it right.

The devs are entitled to fix this sort of thing, since it was obviously never intended to be used this way in the first place, so I'm not complaining. It would be nice if they implemented an account-wide friends list though, to save me the trouble of even needing to attempt this :p

• 1 year later...

Oh well xD

Since people have played thread necromancy before, I'll pile on.

Farlo, you are simply wrong. This still works because I just did today. I suspect you got some of the identification numbers wrong on the file.

Do not try renaming a file. Do as the original instructions say, copying from one file and replacing the contents of the second file without altering its name.

That's what worked for me today so I am rather certain you made a mistake in renaming the file. The most reliable way is still to replace the contents of the target file, not rename it.

Good luck if you try this again!

• 2 years later...

[Necro because: I found this when Googling the topic, and it no longer works.]

This settings file appears to only store the comments on your friends list, not the actual friends. If you have a comment for someone that's not a friend, it doesn't add that character as a friend.

I added a friend from a different file and saved it. Logged in. The added character didn't appear.

I deleted the file outright and logged in. Still had all my friends, but no comments. The friends list is obviously stored somewhere else, possibly even on the game server.