One account down

Darev

I posted this not to be melodramatic (thank you for that, I actually laughed when I saw that, as that's the last thing anyone in RL would ever accuse me of being on anything) but rather as a succinct post on why a subscriber who has been one since the very start of the game is cancelling 50% of my active subscriptions.

I've also seen a few people (in a different thread) comment on forum user number.

I was so excited for this game I registered on the forum the first day it was possible, long before the game actually launched. I may not have posted much, if at all way back then, but I paid attention.

As for canceling my secondary account, 6.0 as it stands on PTS isn't worth subscribing to for me personally for the changes I listed. And since my secondary account would resub before the 22nd, better to just kill it now and not have to pay the 6 months of a sub if I wind up not liking it.

My main account, I have plenty of time to figure it out.

I suspect I will know shortly after the 22nd.

I do appreciate the conversations that are taking place, and I sincerely invite you all to continue doing so.

I did, and do, have a deeper motive to making this thread, to posting it to twitter and linking @swtor / @bioware / @ea which should be fairly obvious. Whether anyone over there is paying attention, that's another matter altogether that we'll never know.

The last thing I want to see happen is this game to tank. Then the powers that be say "What happened, we thought the players loved the changes"

There's proof that many of us don't.

Even with just the many varied posts in this thread.

Please keep it up

And thank you all!

Edited by Darev

Wow, you guys really went to town on that melodrama line.

By melodrama, I didn't mean it as a synonym for whining, moaning or crying. People do that frequently on here and I'd have said that if that's what I'd gotten from the post. Yes, you have a right [figuratively] to criticize BW to the point of lambasting their stupid short-sightedness ad nauseum. I do that myself.

It's just the way the OP was constructed that I felt was melodramatic. Beginning with linking the post to twitter to heighten the sense of importance the post apparently deserves, continuing on with the details of the quitting, all very standard critiques I must say [one does get the sense of having read the same sentence / paragraph before with these type of threads] and then concluding with "btw I'm so obsessed with this game I have two accounts and I'm only cancelling one, because the other is paid up for the year."

It would have more impact in January, perhaps. Or more impact if you'd actually left the game instead of sorta not really left. As it is, it rates [imo, of course] more of a "m'kay" than the "gasp! Another Hero of the Forum has left us, and flights of angels sing thee etc etc."

As to OP's defenders...One could say [and I have] that white knights don't *need* to incessantly pester 6.0 threads with the "That's just your opinion!" type comments. By the same token, however, you really don't need to assemble to mount a stalwart defense every time someone rolls their eyes at the inflated serious business taking place here, either.

the tl;dr is to google melodrama*, because I don't think you're getting it. It doesn't mean harsh, biting, TOR-Tanic critiques, and that's not what the OP was anyway. Rather, it's investing something with an artificial sense of weightiness. What is supposed to be profound instead comes off trite.

*And Lhance, if you want to make the thread not about melodrama, you should probably avoid referring to it six times in a post. Just a thought.

Edited by Ardrossan

I think Darev has earned the right to be as "melodramatic"(*) as he wants to. I know we had a large share of rage quit people that only posted to say "goodbye" but this is not the case. Darev invested hours and hours for months of PTS testing since PTS 1.0, and has provided really good feedback on all that testing. So, its not the same.

Some people constantly attack those that provide feedback only because we are critics of how BW is doing things, saying we only want things easy. Well, if we wanted things easy, why do we invest hours, days, weeks or even months testing things?

(*)Some people might see this post as melodramatic, i see it as someone that invested a lot of time to help this game starting to give up and loosing hope. He is not the first one, won't be the last.

Well put and exactly my point. I noticed that none of his detractors were participating with testing, but they are the first to attack him when they have zero first hand understanding of situation.

You can bet these same people will be here complaining about the changes when it goes live, but none of them tested.

Unlike some of us who actually tested and try and get changes made. I bet none of them have a clue at the extremes in the systems that Bioware originally put on the pts.

Imagine the extreme pts 1 RNG and the out of balanced pts 3 went live. Which is the sort of thing Bioware would have probably done in the past.

If it wasn’t for the testers like Darev and yourself, these people would have ended up with an even worse situation that might be coming (fingers still crossed we’ve dodged a bullet).

To these detractors, when you’ve done as much testing to try and improve the game for “everyone”, then you can earn the right to give people a hard time that make threads like these.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I'm linking this to twitter...just an FYI for those who want to post responses.

I checked the expiration dates of my accounts tonight.

My main account, this one, has over 100 days left.

My secondary account had 9 days left before it auto billed for a 6 month block of time.

I canceled that account.

Here's the reason why, as I filled it out in their exit survey.

The changes to some key systems in the game that are being implemented with 6.0 are too drastic for my type of playstyle.

1. Changes to crafting with 6.0 are insane - resource requirement have been increased far too much for crafting to be useful.

2. Conquest changes - the personal goal increase to 50k points, the guild level changes to 500k / 2 million / 5 million points makes it out of reach for all but the very large conquest driven guilds.

3. Far too much RNG with climbing the gearing ladder. The removal of the gear slot token system. If I wanted to gamble I'd play online poker.

PTS, as it is right now, is not fun for me and there's no way YOU will make the changes before this subscription runs out.

Now, obviously these are reasons I have and others may not share them.

Bioware can certainly change the game however they want, but when it becomes "not fun" for me anymore, I'm going to stop giving them subscription money. it's really that simple.

What's that saying? Vote with your wallet?

Well, I just did.

well...50% of me anyway. Since unsubbing my main account won't actually take effect until Jan, there's no need to do it quite yet.

I have one account … the auto re-bill information was deleted a few days ago ! I will be patient and see how this works out ! After that … I'm busy with a lot of other things in life:

1. Fishing (looking for that new "OFFICE"

2. Carving a 4ft x 10ft wood mural

3. Remolding our home !

4. 3-D models … looking for a 3-D printer (maybe)

5. More Fishing

6. Time with wife (if we decide to travel any next year)

7. In general … just enjoying retirement !!!

and NO !! Nobody gets my stuff. If you want more stuff... then get out there and earn it...

(although with RNG that might be a bit more difficult than you think !)

Well put and exactly my point. I noticed that none of his detractors were participating with testing, but they are the first to attack him when they have zero first hand understanding of situation.

You can bet these same people will be here complaining about the changes when it goes live, but none of them tested.

Unlike some of us who actually tested and try and get changes made. I bet none of them have a clue at the extremes in the systems that Bioware originally put on the pts.

Imagine the extreme pts 1 RNG and the out of balanced pts 3 went live. Which is the sort of thing Bioware would have probably done in the past.

If it wasn’t for the testers like Darev and yourself, these people would have ended up with an even worse situation that might be coming (fingers still crossed we’ve dodged a bullet).

To these detractors, when you’ve done as much testing to try and improve the game for “everyone”, then you can earn the right to give people a hard time that make threads like these.

As a day one player of this game (I played extensively the first 3-4 years) and have been an off and on player since I do thank you and the others who are in the PTS fighting for this game. God knows I certainly don't have the time or tbh inclination (being honest) but I can assure you myself and I'm sure others are watching/reading these forums with interest.

Wow, you guys really went to town on that melodrama line.

By melodrama, I didn't mean it as a synonym for whining, moaning or crying. People do that frequently on here and I'd have said that if that's what I'd gotten from the post. Yes, you have a right [figuratively] to criticize BW to the point of lambasting their stupid short-sightedness ad nauseum. I do that myself.

It's just the way the OP was constructed that I felt was melodramatic. Beginning with linking the post to twitter to heighten the sense of importance the post apparently deserves, continuing on with the details of the quitting, all very standard critiques I must say [one does get the sense of having read the same sentence / paragraph before with these type of threads] and then concluding with "btw I'm so obsessed with this game I have two accounts and I'm only cancelling one, because the other is paid up for the year."

It would have more impact in January, perhaps. Or more impact if you'd actually left the game instead of sorta not really left. As it is, it rates [imo, of course] more of a "m'kay" than the "gasp! Another Hero of the Forum has left us, and flights of angels sing thee etc etc."

As to OP's defenders...One could say [and I have] that white knights don't *need* to incessantly pester 6.0 threads with the "That's just your opinion!" type comments. By the same token, however, you really don't need to assemble to mount a stalwart defense every time someone rolls their eyes at the inflated serious business taking place here, either.

the tl;dr is to google melodrama*, because I don't think you're getting it. It doesn't mean harsh, biting, TOR-Tanic critiques, and that's not what the OP was anyway. Rather, it's investing something with an artificial sense of weightiness. What is supposed to be profound instead comes off trite.

*And Lhance, if you want to make the thread not about melodrama, you should probably avoid referring to it six times in a post. Just a thought.

These are all good points! ^

I am not fond of your jab at me, but even with that I find this post a good read! Thought your dismantling of Darev was well done and the overall sarcastic tone of superiority you write with is quite effective at getting your point across!

9/10 maybe 9.5/10

These are all good points! ^

I am not fond of your jab at me, but even with that I find this post a good read! Thought your dismantling of Darev was well done and the overall sarcastic tone of superiority you write with is quite effective at getting your point across!

9/10 maybe 9.5/10

That's a good approach to take. I did read your post and concede the tone-policing. I'll shut up now and quit derailing the thread.

That's a good approach to take. I did read your post and concede the tone-policing. I'll shut up now and quit derailing the thread.

I actually found the post funny I mean it was snarky and stuff, but a fun read nonetheless lol. So by all means don't take it as criticism on my part. I actually think there's some accuracy to your assessment in some ways, just the way you put it made me lol irl.

I'm linking this to twitter...just an FYI for those who want to post responses.

I checked the expiration dates of my accounts tonight.

My main account, this one, has over 100 days left.

My secondary account had 9 days left before it auto billed for a 6 month block of time.

I canceled that account.

Here's the reason why, as I filled it out in their exit survey.

The changes to some key systems in the game that are being implemented with 6.0 are too drastic for my type of playstyle.

1. Changes to crafting with 6.0 are insane - resource requirement have been increased far too much for crafting to be useful.

2. Conquest changes - the personal goal increase to 50k points, the guild level changes to 500k / 2 million / 5 million points makes it out of reach for all but the very large conquest driven guilds.

3. Far too much RNG with climbing the gearing ladder. The removal of the gear slot token system. If I wanted to gamble I'd play online poker.

PTS, as it is right now, is not fun for me and there's no way YOU will make the changes before this subscription runs out.

Now, obviously these are reasons I have and others may not share them.

Bioware can certainly change the game however they want, but when it becomes "not fun" for me anymore, I'm going to stop giving them subscription money. it's really that simple.

What's that saying? Vote with your wallet?

Well, I just did.

well...50% of me anyway. Since unsubbing my main account won't actually take effect until Jan, there's no need to do it quite yet.

Well it's obvious that you no longer like the game for what every reason there may be. That is your prerogative but you are only one of many people through the years that come on the forums to complain about how THEY don't like this or THEY don't like that, and that they were leaving in protest.

Many that proclaimed they were leaving are STILL here playing SWTOR, they only threatened to leave, and never actually left. Some did leave, but may came back only to complain that they missed out on a special reward that was given out while they were in protest. ie... HK-55 and The Shroud of Memory mission.

Not every body feels the way you do that is true. Though it will be sad to see you go. I hate to say it but, you really won't be missed. Your attempt to drum up sympathy and drama falls on deaf ears. We've all heard it too many times to care any more. There have been many types of these threads prior to the release of KOTFE / ET and every other update or expansion to the game. They did not impress me then and do not impress me now.

Be assured that the hole you leave will quickly be filled by other new and old players alike. Farewell and I hope you are able to find a game that aligns with your particular style of play as it is obvious that SWTOR no longer does.

But, this line:

Since unsubbing my main account won't actually take effect until Jan, there's no need to do it quite yet.

makes me think this whole thing was just a ruse. Your NOT actually leaving you only canceled an unimportant ALT account. I suspect that you will still be here long after your account was supposed to expire. Only Time Will Tell

For me, the biggest problem is the attitude of some people. It's fine to point out what you don't like and make suggestions, but it's another whole level when you basically suggest that only "your" way is any good; and if things don't go "your" way, you're going to quit; the devs are stupid and/or want to destroy the game; etc. That definitely veers into melodrama territory. :)

I think I've been pretty clear all along that I consider the changes to be annoying to me, not speaking for anyone other than myself. I've even gone so far as to make a thread asking people to download PTS and try it out for themselves to form their own opinions about it rather than simply for their opinions by what they see in the forums.

Yes, it's blatantly obvious how I feel about the changes to the mechanics that are coming with 6.0, but I am excited about the story and looking forward to playing it through.

It's just what happens after that which is up in the air for me.

The forum drama, even limited to this post, is pretty amusing to me on a personal level. I look forward to seeing what everyone says a few weeks into 6.0 about these changes.

I have one account … the auto re-bill information was deleted a few days ago ! I will be patient and see how this works out ! After that … I'm busy with a lot of other things in life:

1. Fishing (looking for that new "OFFICE"

2. Carving a 4ft x 10ft wood mural

3. Remolding our home !

4. 3-D models … looking for a 3-D printer (maybe)

5. More Fishing

6. Time with wife (if we decide to travel any next year)

7. In general … just enjoying retirement !!!

and NO !! Nobody gets my stuff. If you want more stuff... then get out there and earn it...

(although with RNG that might be a bit more difficult than you think !)

3-D printing is something I was curious about when I first heard about it. It was always out of reach for me financially. I also don't know how to use software to create things to print.

It's on my list of things I want to toy with, just not likely to happen any time soon.

Carving a 4 x 10 mural sounds challenging! Good luck with that!

3-D printing is something I was curious about when I first heard about it. It was always out of reach for me financially. I also don't know how to use software to create things to print.

It's on my list of things I want to toy with, just not likely to happen any time soon.

Carving a 4 x 10 mural sounds challenging! Good luck with that!

3-D printers are fascinating. Some of them are expensive. However pricing for some are dropping. I don't have one yet. And knowing how the individual components would be assembled (for larger models) would take creating separate files for each of the models I have … but that's no big deal. One of the biggest hurdles would be to take the export file (3-D Studio Max aka 3-DS Max) into an appropriate file for use with said printers.

The mural has been fun. I have two trees , two stumps and some other details ready to place on the 4 x 10 land scape ( rock bluff that ends in the water ) . That is the back ground setting (so to speak) . I'm now working on a scaled replica of the world record LMB ( 25 # ) that will be mounted … busting the top of the water. I finally figured out what to do for the water splash. So that's starting to shape up !!

3-D printers are fascinating. Some of them are expensive. However pricing for some are dropping. I don't have one yet. And knowing how the individual components would be assembled (for larger models) would take creating separate files for each of the models I have … but that's no big deal. One of the biggest hurdles would be to take the export file (3-D Studio Max aka 3-DS Max) into an appropriate file for use with said printers.

If you ever want to get into 3D printing and want to chat, feel free to give me a shout. I have been doing this for years and just bought my 8th printer.

I just want to let you know - they don't care. I left the game for well over a year, didn't resub with the new content even because they moved the west coast server. I'm in Australia so ping is quite high (not as high as it was but high enough to notice especially when it goes into the 300's. I was bitter enough to leave and believed there would be a mass unsubbing. I guess things more or less went on per normal here. I'm back for now just to enjoy story content. Still can't do much else hovering at 250ms+. Magnetic jumps sometimes fail because of it so it's a very costly high latency but I always seem to come back.

I just want to let you know - they don't care. I left the game for well over a year, didn't resub with the new content even because they moved the west coast server. I'm in Australia so ping is quite high (not as high as it was but high enough to notice especially when it goes into the 300's. I was bitter enough to leave and believed there would be a mass unsubbing. I guess things more or less went on per normal here. I'm back for now just to enjoy story content. Still can't do much else hovering at 250ms+. Magnetic jumps sometimes fail because of it so it's a very costly high latency but I always seem to come back.

I’m an Aussie too and I can say things didn’t go on as normal. Most of our region and a bunch of the west coast quit the game. That’s why it can feel like the servers are empty outside on the middle of primetime.

You are right though, Bioware didnt care and it’s why so few people are now playing the game. 6.0 is really the games last chance. If this flops, then they’ll be lucky to fill one server.

On a side note. Have you tried using WTFast gaming VPN to lower and stabilise your ping. Mine too sits at 250ms+ if I’m with some ISPs like Telstra (not others, like Superloop), but it’s nearly always around 220ms and stable when I use WTFast.

I can even play on the EU servers at 280ms most of the time.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

You mean you never received a marketing email offering you freebies and a reduced price sub for a few months to come back? I'm shocked! Shocked I tell you!

(You're right of course, they actually don't).

I had to do a double take to see the small print !!

LOL ! Old age thing hits again !!

:D

Be assured that the hole you leave will quickly be filled by other new and old players alike

That's a silly comment bereft of any real reasoning.

If every time someone left they were quickly replaced by new or returning players we'd still have over 100 servers, instead of just 6.

Every Subscriber that unsubs is lost income.

Every F2P player that leaves is an opportunity to gain revenue (by converting them to subscribers) lost.

The reason what we are getting now is highly likely the best we can ever hope for with SWTOR is because of an ongoing - and from what I am seeing - an increasing loss of players.

It is stupid in the extreme to think the game can continue to survive these types of losses - it can't.

At some point - soon in my estimation - Bioware will, financially, be forced to pull the plug on continued investment and development of this game - if we are lucky they may hold it in maintenance mode for the duration of the license, but even that is not a certainty.

I'm willing to bet that 6.0 is the last significant content drop we'll ever see for this game; I strongly suspect we'll never even make it to 6.6.x.

All The Best

Edited by DarthSpuds

That's a silly comment bereft of any real reasoning.

If every time someone left they were quickly replaced by new or returning players we'd still have over 100 servers, instead of just 6.

Every Subscriber that unsubs is lost income.

Every F2P player that leaves is an opportunity to gain revenue (by converting them to subscribers) lost.

The reason what we are getting now is highly likely the best we can ever hope for with SWTOR is because of an ongoing - and from what I am seeing - an increasing loss of players.

It is stupid in the extreme to think the game can continue to survive these types of losses - it can't.

At some point - soon in my estimation - Bioware will, financially, be forced to pull the plug on continued investment and development of this game - if we are lucky they may hold it in maintenance mode for the duration of the license, but even that is not a certainty.

I'm willing to bet that 6.0 is the last significant content drop we'll ever see for this game; I strongly suspect we'll never even make it to 6.6.x.

All The Best

That might be a tad extreme... but who knows.

IMO.. what we have seen in the PTS when it comes to gear acquisition, crafting and a couple other areas (that I wont even bother to mention any more) BW responded to the community. We now know what to expect from the mechanics of the game. If the rest follows suit, companions will be bricked, PvP will stink, the story .. (frankly who cares now) .. Yeah I know I'm not in a good frame of mind. My apologies for that. But … that's due to all of the "fun" we've been having on the PTS.

At any rate if I had to guess:

The subs .. etc will spike upwards for a few months. But after the first three the numbers will dwindle as those subs expire … in 6 months more will fall by the way side. And this time next year .. well do the math DOWN HILL !

Thanks Trixxie. I may check it out. I work for an isp and our NOC has said they can try to fix up my link, just need an end up address. I'll have them look at some point.

Hahaha Transcendent - nope. I didn't get that *pout*

PS, I actually had hoped to just get the west coast server back and that the move was all a bad dream. lol Actually, I think I was just very unhappy at the decision and didn't really expect anything. I went on with life, lost 20kgs, and did other things. It was probably good for me lol