How could the Naboo people make Padme a kid who is 14 a queen?

adormitul

Why is this such an unbeliveable thing when you have had in our own history, young rulers and the like?

Plus this is fiction, where you have FTL travel and an invisible Force that someone can bend to their will.

That and it's not like Padme wasn't getting into politics and learning this stuff from a young age, she was described as one having exceptional ability and given the best training to develop her skillset.

Jeez people act like they just took a random girl and threw her up on a throne....plus she wasn't the youngest ruler of Naboo.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Well, it was mandatory for all between the age of 12 and 20 to take part in a system called Legislative Youth Program, so politics is heavily integrated into the kids already at a young age. Some kids like Padme had talent for it and were pushed even earlier and were put into that program way when she was like 8.

At 14 she had tons of experience in debates and politics and since they clearly couldn't find a more fitting queen, Amidala it was.

Why is this such an unbeliveable thing when you have had in our own history, young rulers and the like?

Plus this is fiction, where you have FTL travel and an invisible Force that someone can bend to their will.

That and it's not like Padme wasn't getting into politics and learning this stuff from a young age, she was described as one having exceptional ability and given the best training to develop her skillset.

Jeez people act like they just took a random girl and threw her up on a throne....plus she wasn't the youngest ruler of Naboo.

Was there ever 14 year old ruler that was voted to that position? All of those kid rulers inherited the position.

Was there ever 14 year old ruler that was voted to that position? All of those kid rulers inherited the position.

Does it matter? Padme from a young age as of 8 was getting into political stuff and developing her skills, she was very well liked by the people and so on, she was exceptionally talented for it.

game of thrones is a prime example when the story starts khaleesi is 12

And she was the wife of the former Khan and had also 3 dragons. Also she was not in a platonic relationship with him and got pregnant and its also a fictional universe.

Pretty common in the Middle Ages to run the manor when you were about fourteen.

BUT, Padme's situation was different: she was elected. Not only that, but it is a temporary position... kinda like being "President" or "Prime Minister."

For an agrarian world, they might not have thought there were going to be any particular issues that someone that young would face.

Or that is what Palpatine thought, when he set her up to be a weak queen, so that the Trade Federation could invade. He did not know she had some reservoirs of strength and character to pull through one feint (a Xantos gambit that workd both ways).

Oh please. Tell me where in history you'll find a democratically elected child ruler.

Don't misrepresent my argument. I never claimed that it's happened or that it should happen. I merely stated that there's cultures out there where a 14 year old was considered an adult.

Don't misrepresent my argument. I never claimed that it's happened or that it should happen. I merely stated that there's cultures out there where a 14 year old was considered an adult.

This is the post you quoted...

"Was there ever 14 year old ruler that was voted to that position?"

And your answer was...

"Probably."

This is the post you quoted...

"Was there ever 14 year old ruler that was voted to that position?"

And your answer was...

"Probably."

I misread the quote I answered to. I read it as "Is it possible." to which I was responding that given some countries considered people around 14 as adults. Of course those countries didn't elect people via democratic elections either. Also those that are 14 and younger usually had regents.

Oh please. Tell me where in history you'll find a democratically elected child ruler.

Depends on how you read Frankish traditions... but Clovis I might be an example. They were salic law types, and really like splitting their lands equally amongst heirs, but the political power of warfare was more or less settled by 'which heir seems to be the most qualified.' Prior to Clovis uniting the Franks, that meant the warriors basically picked their leader from the heirs that could inherit a slice of the clan's territory. Clovis I beat out the others (including one other Clovis who was a sort of second cousin) when he was fifteen; eventually he founded the Merovingian dynasty and assorted other rather significant (to Europe) accomplishments.

Star Wars is a fiction but it is about letting the imagination go into different places.

For a lore explanation, the people of Naboo are a mid-rim culture, they have pretty developed and educated culture. They have developed an elective monarchy based on their own traditions. They decided that this works for them and Padme showed a great deal of leadership and ability; It makes sense when Anakin says: "They wanted to amend the constitution so you can run for another term of office".

It seems strange to us but that how Naboo does their thing.

Padme said herself she was not the youngest Queen there was so it's Naboo culture I suppose. In my mind as long as the person is fit for the job then no issue but yeah a lot for a young teen to take on but that shows Padme's strength and talent . Besides it's not that bad a thing as a young person she got the opportunity to make a good career out of it.

Padmé might be 14, but I think it's just an excuse to make it that much less awkward for lil' Ani to fall in love with her xD

The maturity she displays in the Naboo crisis is completely surreal, and doesn't match a raw human child of 14. Imagine the damage such psychological pressure could do to the hormone-flooded brain of an adolescent.