C'mon now, I can win boss fights without pressing a single button.

DPswfan

I am currently leveling a Bounty Hunter and I am finding the game too easy. Not that this game was ever difficult per se but at least it didn't play itself. The last few boss fights I've had, I thought to myself "why bother?". I just set my companion on damage and they take care of everything. I do not have to press one single ability and I can still win the boss fight. This is silly and immersion breaking. The combat doesn't even have to be difficult necessarily, but at the very least give the illusion.

I know some of you will likely say that I should play without a companion but you know darn well that the game is meant to be played with one. They are part of the story. And yes I could remove some of my gear. Nevertheless, I shouldn't have to work around the mechanics of the game just so it doesn't play itself.

I love the story in this game. In fact, I play most video games for the story. However, I like to feel like I am a part of the story. Having zero challenge whatsoever, does not accomplish that. I know it isn't likely but I wish bioware would do something about this. I find it hard to imagine that people find this kind of gameplay engaging.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am currently leveling a Bounty Hunter and I am finding the game too easy. Not that this game was ever difficult per se but at least it didn't play itself. The last few boss fights I've had, I thought to myself "why bother?". I just set my companion on damage and they take care of everything. I do not have to press one single ability and I can still win the boss fight. This is silly and immersion breaking. The combat doesn't even have to be difficult necessarily, but at the very least give the illusion.

I know some of you will likely say that I should play without a companion but you know darn well that the game is meant to be played with one. They are part of the story. And yes I could remove some of my gear. Nevertheless, I shouldn't have to work around the mechanics of the game just so it doesn't play itself.

I love the story in this game. In fact, I play most video games for the story. However, I like to feel like I am a part of the story. Having zero challenge whatsoever, does not accomplish that. I know it isn't likely but I wish bioware would do something about this. I find it hard to imagine that people find this kind of gameplay engaging.

FYI, those aren't bosses you are facing while leveling.

When you get to 70 go do an uprising with just your companion and stand there and see what happens.

This isn't your first character I presume?

So, do you have legacy bonuses, legacy datacrons, all those things that are boosting both your character and your companion's effectiveness behind the scenes?

Are you over leveled, which is something really easy to do with the current even going on?

I would submit that with the current state of the game, running a new character who is part of an existing fleshed out legacy through the original class story will almost always be trivial from a difficulty point of view. Even running naked, with all the legacy bonuses and legacy datacrons and tendency to be over-leveled its nearly impossible to lose.

I think the only way they could make it better would be to scale the instanced boss fights up to the current player level instead of down to the planet's level. The final Baras fight for the SW comes to mind. At least then you'd have to make sure you had some decent gear on and a decent companion influence rank.

I haven't played the vanilla game in a long time, but do understand they made it faceroll easy especially as you add companion perks. I've found the bosses in KotFE veteran mode and up with rank 1 required companions to actually be quite engaging, especially when there are adds and you don't have significant self-heals (Vanguard/Shadow here).

If you set the difficulty to Master, then the 1-50 experience will be more challenging, and closer to how things were back in the before times.

Story Mode difficulty is just that: difficulty that's easy for all strictly for story progression.

When you get to 70 go do an uprising with just your companion and stand there and see what happens.

Why aren't they bosses? Because they suddenly became so easy you can beat them whilst asleep? What criteria defines "not a boss"?

yes, you're right. The 1-50 game is too easy

don't pay attention to endgame people who just don't give a dime for 1-50 experience and want it done as quickly and as facerolled as possible. After all they still miss the fun when they could go back to planets and one-shoot everything (pre-level sync era)

It is the single reason I can't find enjoyment in SWTOR again. With 4.0, while introducing level sync (which is fine) they made the game much easier. They powered up companions. They nerfed the bosses and mobs. They removed H4s, they nerfed H2s. They even removed Heroics conversations so that end gamers have more 'streamlined' experience -aka they would not complain heroics take too much time.

All this made the game dull for people who just do the class story journey with the missions that come along.

Its been almost two years some of us have been telling BW that they should revisit the 1-50 experience and bring back the old flair to it.

but nope.

The 1-50 content is easy for fast leveling. You can't take on big bads in kotfe or kotet without pushing a button. Try soloing star fortress. There is harder content. You need to have a level 60 to start it. Although some of Makeb can be challenging if you don't know what you're doing.

I beat the walker ( one of the walkers? ) this way in KoTFE. Granted would seem more of a mini boss but that combat was pants too.

KotET I didn't notice because I ran it on veteran.

I'm not going through those stories again more than once.

If you set the difficulty to Master, then the 1-50 experience will be more challenging, and closer to how things were back in the before times.

Story Mode difficulty is just that: difficulty that's easy for all strictly for story progression.

There is no master mode for 1-50?

you can't set 1-50 experience to Master or Veteran mode. Only KOTET/KOTFE :(

Really? I changed it on one of my alts that's only lvl 40ish.

Perhaps it only applies to the KOTEE/KOTET content even if its selectable outside of it?

Maybe I'm going crazy, but I remember the content getting harder after I changed that setting.

Edited by Fygee

The bosses getting really weak are mostly a product of level sync. While I do like level sync for most purposes, the core stories really suffered because that big bad boss who was supposed to test all your skills and serve as climatic showdowns are suddenly reduced down to level 18 and 15k health while you have all your abilities and only a few stats synced to low level.

Add to that the Presence stat (which is increased by companion ranks) is NOT affected by level sync, you end up with companions who are effectively not handcuffed in the same way everything else is. Despite the fact that companions endurance/power/mastery is capped by sync, Presence adds a direct % bonus on top of their damage and healing which effectively lets them operate above the level sync.

A good way to make class story bosses more climatic and engaging would be to have those bosses not subject to level sync at all, and baring that, itd help to have the presence stat actually capped by level sync in order to control how over-effective companions are on those planets.

Why aren't they bosses? Because they suddenly became so easy you can beat them whilst asleep? What criteria defines "not a boss"?

Bosses are in operations. If it is not in an operation than that is what constitutes NOT a boss. The guys you plow through 1-50 for leveling are just fodder for you to blaze through.

The new uprisings I consider Mini Ops. Their bosses aren't very hard either.

Edited by Fleurdelis

Bosses are in operations. If it is not in an operation than that is what constitutes NOT a boss. The guys you plow through 1-50 for leveling are just fodder for you to blaze through.

That is not a universally held definition of what a boss is. There are raid bosses, world bosses & chapter bosses. They can all be called bosses depending on context.

They used to be.

When this game was first released class story bosses provided a moderate challenge and would curb stomp players if they didn't pay attention to mechanics or play their class properly. (i.e. using interrupts, defensive abilities, ect)

They were never as difficult as Operation or Flashpoint bosses of course, as they were meant to be tackled solo, but they did provide a moderate challenge. The class story boss fights originally were not unlike the boss fights in KOTET's story chapters (Vaylin, Arcann, ect) in terms of difficulty. It wasn't uncommon for some players to ask for help with class story bosses in general chat because they had died a few times. Vitiate used to be able to one shot players if they weren't careful.

Now they're far too easy. You could probably set your companion to tank Vitiate or Baras, leave the computer to eat a sandwich, and come back to find that T7 or Vette had solo'd the boss in your absence. Bioware broke class story bosses with the 4.0 changes. They're too easy now and no longer provide any challenge at all.

That is a problem for a few reasons. Firstly the removal of any challenge it detracts from the replay value class stories may have by making gameplay dull, it creates a lot of players who step into Flashpoints and Operations without even basic competence in their chosen class, and it breaks the story by having a player character practically one shot enemies that are supposed to be formidable, like Vitiate, Baras, or Thanaton.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

That make no sense what so ever.

Flashpoints have bosses, they have bonus bosses. Chapters have bosses. World's have bosses ( they are actually call "World Boss" ). There are bosses literally everywhere.

Your definition of what constitutes a boss is unfortunately wrong.

It doesn't work like that. The Veteran and Master modes are for Zakuul chapters ONLY. I wish you could do this in 1-50 alongside the so oft requested story replay.

When they finally release that White Acute Module, I'll get back to playing my Sniper the hardest way I can. That is: slow-as-possible levelling; no modded or Heroic gear, only what I can get from mission rewards; no companion damage or heals, only Tank or passive; and no buffs (I wish there was a way to turn off Datacron buffs too... I suppose next go round I'll have to start a new legacy for maximum challenge)

They used to be.

When this game was first released class story bosses provided a moderate challenge and would curb stomp players if they didn't pay attention to mechanics or play their class properly. (i.e. using interrupts, defensive abilities, ect)

They were never as difficult as Operation or Flashpoint bosses of course, as they were meant to be tackled solo, but they did provide a moderate challenge. The class story boss fights originally were not unlike the boss fights in KOTET's story chapters (Vaylin, Arcann, ect) in terms of difficulty. It wasn't uncommon for some players to ask for help with class story bosses in general chat because they had died a few times. Vitiate used to be able to one shot players if they weren't careful.

Now they're far too easy. You could probably set your companion to tank Vitiate or Baras, leave the computer to eat a sandwich, and come back to find that T7 or Vette had solo'd the boss in your absence. Bioware broke class story bosses with the 4.0 changes. They're too easy now and no longer provide any challenge at all.

That is a problem for a few reasons. Firstly the removal of any challenge it detracts from the replay value class stories may have by making gameplay dull, it creates a lot of players who step into Flashpoints and Operations without even basic competence in their chosen class, and it breaks the story by having a player character practically one shot enemies that are supposed to be formidable, like Vitiate, Baras, or Thanaton.

Imma add something. Consider it food for thought. I don't know about you but the third tI'm through I find things so FREAKING EASY. I mean take kotet for example. The first time I nearly died in that dumb walker in ch 1. The second time I faired a little better. The 4th time I did it and skipped most of the checkpoints. Didn't need the health up because it was a walk in the park. But I swear the first time through was hard. Once you know the mechanics everything becomes simple. I'll struggle in an op that a raider would breeze through only because I've never played it before. So replayability = easy. Regardless of everything else. Screw level sync. It doesn't make things easier. Having played the class and the story before does.

yes, you're right. The 1-50 game is too easy

don't pay attention to endgame people who just don't give a dime for 1-50 experience and want it done as quickly and as facerolled as possible. After all they still miss the fun when they could go back to planets and one-shoot everything (pre-level sync era)

It is the single reason I can't find enjoyment in SWTOR again. With 4.0, while introducing level sync (which is fine) they made the game much easier. They powered up companions. They nerfed the bosses and mobs. They removed H4s, they nerfed H2s. They even removed Heroics conversations so that end gamers have more 'streamlined' experience -aka they would not complain heroics take too much time.

All this made the game dull for people who just do the class story journey with the missions that come along.

Its been almost two years some of us have been telling BW that they should revisit the 1-50 experience and bring back the old flair to it.

but nope.

Well when they do that the Cartel market instant 60 or 65 scrolls will be making them a fortune. I've done class story's on every Sith toon at least, how many servers are there now, and while the agent and inquisitor story's are still fun, after 60 times its just dreggery