Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Addressing Tank and Healer drought

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Addressing Tank and Healer drought

Ahwassa
12.09.2019 , 06:26 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Maddhawk View Post
If there is a drought of tanks and healers in the queue, it isn't due to the nature of the classes. It is due to the fact that the number of people who want and are willing to fill those roles are missing. Healer and tanks have all packed their bags and left for guilds and/or other content. That is what that means.

(Operation Meridian is WAY overtuned imo. Specially for the healing requirements.)
I agree to most of this. I wouldnīt play tank if there were more tank classes. More people play dps because itīs more fun to kill things.

I too enjoy healing - especially the force healer. Dps now seems boring to me.

I donīt agree that Meridian is overtuned though. With a good group itīs not very hard. As sorc healer you even have an advantage at the bonus boss (shielding the tank or whoever has boss aggro from the stacks - your god bubble cleanses them

Maddhawk
12.10.2019 , 07:15 AM | #22
I haven't done the bonus boss yet. I have also yet to get into an Operation Meridian where people not only have a clue, but no one is a tool either.

aristein
12.11.2019 , 06:09 AM | #23
8 classes, each with 2 specializations. That is 16 types of characters and all but 2 have either a tank or healers spec they can choose anytime they want to. In otherwords, 14 out of 16 characters can heal or tank if they choose to (anytime). I don't see how giving the other 2 characters a tank/heal spec will have a large impact. 88% of character classes can already either heal or tank if they want to.

So, any issue with a shortage of tanks or healers isn't due to character options. BW can't force people to choose to heal or tank. And, they have given 88% of the players the ability to either heal or tank already.

I can only speak for myself, but I have a tank character to just play with. I rarely actually use him to tank for a group. Mostly because it is harder than just following and doing a damage rotation. And, I have never healed in SWTOR even though I have 9 lvl75 characters now. I would have to learn the keybinds and my character (as a healer) better....and I don't want to do it. Again, because it is more work than just following and doing a dps rotation (and less use in solo pve).

I used to be a primary healer for a guild in WOW, but that was only because I was playing a paladin (basically just a big heal, a little heal, and a cleanse) and I had macros (which aren't available in SWTOR). All there was to it was to click one of the three buttons next to each person's icon/health bar....i.e. there was 3 little buttons by everyone's picture and I just clicked if I wanted to give them a big heal, little heal, or cleanse them. That is much easier and simpler than a dps rotation. So, it was relaxing and fun to be a healer under those conditions. There was no switching targets, key bindings, etc. like SWTOR. So, I will probably never want to learn how to be a healer here.

I suspect the issues aren't that people don't have choice. It is just that it is easier and simpler in SWTOR to dps. And, it is definitely more useful and fun solo to be dps. I also suspect, as some have pointed out, that a lot of people that do like to heal/tank just don't like doing so for PUGs. Probably for lots of reasons (disrespectful people, impatient people, stupid people, etc. )
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Equeliber
12.11.2019 , 08:38 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by aristein View Post
8 classes, each with 2 specializations. That is 16 types of characters and all but 2 have either a tank or healers spec they can choose anytime they want to. In otherwords, 14 out of 16 characters can heal or tank if they choose to (anytime). I don't see how giving the other 2 characters a tank/heal spec will have a large impact. 88% of character classes can already either heal or tank if they want to.

So, any issue with a shortage of tanks or healers isn't due to character options. BW can't force people to choose to heal or tank. And, they have given 88% of the players the ability to either heal or tank already.

I can only speak for myself, but I have a tank character to just play with. I rarely actually use him to tank for a group. Mostly because it is harder than just following and doing a damage rotation. And, I have never healed in SWTOR even though I have 9 lvl75 characters now. I would have to learn the keybinds and my character (as a healer) better....and I don't want to do it. Again, because it is more work than just following and doing a dps rotation (and less use in solo pve).

I used to be a primary healer for a guild in WOW, but that was only because I was playing a paladin (basically just a big heal, a little heal, and a cleanse) and I had macros (which aren't available in SWTOR). All there was to it was to click one of the three buttons next to each person's icon/health bar....i.e. there was 3 little buttons by everyone's picture and I just clicked if I wanted to give them a big heal, little heal, or cleanse them. That is much easier and simpler than a dps rotation. So, it was relaxing and fun to be a healer under those conditions. There was no switching targets, key bindings, etc. like SWTOR. So, I will probably never want to learn how to be a healer here.

I suspect the issues aren't that people don't have choice. It is just that it is easier and simpler in SWTOR to dps. And, it is definitely more useful and fun solo to be dps. I also suspect, as some have pointed out, that a lot of people that do like to heal/tank just don't like doing so for PUGs. Probably for lots of reasons (disrespectful people, impatient people, stupid people, etc. )
I could have mained a healer, if I could solo with it. But it is just much more effective to re-spec to DPS when doing your daily solo grind. And then you end up only playing healer in group content. Not really maining it, is it?

So for healers I just have some alts which I log only when i want to heal or somebody asks me to. You just can't do "all content" effectively as a healer. I wish healers had better damage dealing capabilities...

Tank + DPS companion works really well though, and sometimes I feel like I am clearing dailies/heroic even faster than with my DPS. So maining a tank seems totally possible. People just choose not to.

DawnAskham
12.14.2019 , 10:26 AM | #25
I don't have the solution - but for sure the core designs of this game are NOT the way to go.

Smaller group sizes so less dps matched per group for each healer and tank.

Lots of role specific stats such as accuracy (useless for healers, required for dps) and most tank stats (highly devalued or useless for healing / dps, required for tanks).

Highly specific set bonuses, tacticals and amplifiers where a set for one spec is marginally useful to useless for another.

No multiple spec option - as in a way to save and swap between full spec set ups including talents, ability selections, and bar / binding sets.

Lots of solo / solo-ish content with little to no need for a tank or healer and / or taking longer to complete with a tank or healer.

No add-ons or built in frame / mouse over macro options for healing (hard swapping targets is clunky, frames and frame options in game suck).

Lots of instances full of annoying trash that make tanking joyless (spending a large portion of the run without control of your character is stupid).

And all this before considering the issues that exist in all games with tank / healer / dps set ups - such as heals and tanks subject to more abuse by pugs, less interesting / exciting / fun than dps, higher risk to group with failure.

Volxen
12.15.2019 , 04:19 AM | #26
I don't think there really is a tank or healer drought, at least not in master mode flashpoints. I play as a shadow tank and I queue for master mode hammer station only, and a lot of times the role in need is healer rather than tank. Earlier today I queued for MM HS as tank while the role in need was healer, and I waited at least 30 minutes with no pop before I gave up and left the queue. Which tells me that there are times where there are substantially more tanks in queue than healers, rather than there just being slightly more tanks, because if it was only a slight difference I wouldn't have waited 30 minutes with no pop as a tank. This was at 2:00 P.M. PST yesterday (Saturday) on the Satele Shan server, so a lot of people were on..... but not enough of them were queuing as healers for MM FP's. And yesterday at one point DPS (yes, DPS) was the role in need for MM FP's, although yesterday was the first time I saw that and it didn't take too long before the role in need switched back to one of the other roles.

I don't play as a healer so I don't know the difference in wait times when queuing as a healer when healer is the role in need vs when tank is the role in need, but I can certainly tell you as a tank that the only time I can get instant or really fast pops is when the role in need is tank. When the role in need is healer, it can take substantially longer to get pops.

The whole thing is a bit surprising to me, because a lot of people (most people?) grind master mode hammer station over and over again all throughout the day to gear up because it's the fastest way to grind gear. But admittedly me not getting a pop within 30 minutes while queuing for MM HS as a tank has only happened once so far. And because the FP is so easy and everyone knows the mechanics, I think most people are willing to queue for that particular HM FP as any role -- I don't think the traditional issues that might keep people from wanting to queue as a tank or a healer (e.g. being blamed for something when it's not your fault, DPS not listening, being a tank/healer paired with a healer/tank that doesn't know their class/mechanics, etc.) really apply to MM HS, because issues/wipes are very rare to begin with in hammer station regardless of what role you play because everyone usually knows what to do.