Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Loot Toggle and Gear Drops

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
11.18.2019 , 11:06 AM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey folks,

I have seen quite a few posts since Onslaught launched regarding intended loot drops for characters, especially as it relates to the loot toggle. First, let me do a quick recap on exactly how loot is determined for your character (or the selected toggle) and then I have some specific details I will need for anyone experiencing “bugged” loot drops. For the remainder of this post anytime I refer to you, your spec, etc I am always referring to either what your current Advanced Class and Discipline are, or the role you have selected, as the behavior is the same based on either.
  • Stats – One thing that may not be clear about stats is that they effectively fall into two buckets, tank and non-tank. Tanks will receive their respective stats (Defense, Absorb, etc). Healers and DPS stats are mostly similar so they are in the same bucket currently.
  • Set Bonuses and Tacticals – These are quite a bit more simple than stats as these should always drop for your current character and should always drop items usable in that spec. Keep in mind that usable by your spec means base class and general sets also. Ex: You are a madness sorc, it is intended that the system could drop an Inquisitor set for you (even if that specific set may seem more useful for a healer, it is a base class set usable by all Inquisitors)

Now, the place that things get a little complicated is that although the game targets drops specifically for your character there is one situation where it doesn’t and that is anything that counts as a world drop. The most likely place this would happen is on any non-boss NPC kill (there is a very small chance that bosses can drop a world drop as an extra drop). Every other place you get loot; boss kills, Renown Crates, Conquest Crates, Missions Reward crates (such as from PvP or Heorics) will all always drop loot specifically for you. This means that it is possible to get items not for your spec, but that only happens from the rarest place those items drop (standard world drops).

If you are receiving an off-spec item based on the information above, that is likely a bug. With that in mind, here is the information I need to help the team investigate the issue:
  • Your class role and spec?
  • Your toggled role (if different)?
  • Current item rating?
  • Where did you receive the item?
  • Exactly what item did you receive?

Please be as specific as possible when providing the above details and thank you in advance for the information. I am already grabbing this information from the other relevant threads where these details are provided, just want to get it one place for investigation.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Percilator
11.18.2019 , 11:29 AM | #2
Your class role and spec?
Telekinetics Sage (DPS)

Your toggled role (if different)?
Current Discipline (Telekinetics)

Current item rating?

Where did you receive the item?
Conquest Crates (guild target reward)

Exactly what item did you receive?
Revitalized Mystic's set for Seer (Heals) - Robe, Lower Robe, and Belt

Each week that I complete my personal conquest target, I get another piece of that healer set from the guild target reward (large crate twice and medium crate once).

I also have Empowered Restorer's Boots (Heals again) and Endless Offensive Lower Robe (proper drop for my spec), but I don't remember where those came from. So 1 out of 5 set piece drops was for my spec.

Akushii
11.18.2019 , 11:30 AM | #3
I have been receiving off spec loot on my toon most of the time, while trying to farm Master Mode Flashpoints.

I have been playing an Operative/Scoundrel (have mirror class) and have been running with a friend playing Assassin/Shadow to farm Master Mode flashpoints. I have been running as Concealment, however I have my loot toggle set to Medicine to try and get healer gear. I am iRating 306 already and just trying to farm for tacticals/mods/enhancements. For tactical drops, most of the drop has been for either Concealment or Lethality (Received 5-6 of them).

For actual gear drop, I am still receiving a LOT of gear with Accuracy in it. Normally healing gear does not contain any Accuracy gear and I was expecting to receive Alacrity/Critical gear, however there seems to be no difference between heal/dps spec toggle.

However when running on my alt with tank spec toggled, the gear drop seems to be correct. The Tactical drop still doesn't seem to take loot toggle into account. I would receive dps tacticals (spec specific) even when I have tank spec toggled.

TrixxieTriss
11.18.2019 , 11:34 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

I have seen quite a few posts since Onslaught launched regarding intended loot drops for characters, especially as it relates to the loot toggle. First, let me do a quick recap on exactly how loot is determined for your character (or the selected toggle) and then I have some specific details I will need for anyone experiencing “bugged” loot drops. For the remainder of this post anytime I refer to you, your spec, etc I am always referring to either what your current Advanced Class and Discipline are, or the role you have selected, as the behavior is the same based on either.
  • Stats – One thing that may not be clear about stats is that they effectively fall into two buckets, tank and non-tank. Tanks will receive their respective stats (Defense, Absorb, etc). Healers and DPS stats are mostly similar so they are in the same bucket currently.
  • Set Bonuses and Tacticals – These are quite a bit more simple than stats as these should always drop for your current character and should always drop items usable in that spec. Keep in mind that usable by your spec means base class and general sets also. Ex: You are a madness sorc, it is intended that the system could drop an Inquisitor set for you (even if that specific set may seem more useful for a healer, it is a base class set usable by all Inquisitors)

Now, the place that things get a little complicated is that although the game targets drops specifically for your character there is one situation where it doesn’t and that is anything that counts as a world drop. The most likely place this would happen is on any non-boss NPC kill (there is a very small chance that bosses can drop a world drop as an extra drop). Every other place you get loot; boss kills, Renown Crates, Conquest Crates, Missions Reward crates (such as from PvP or Heorics) will all always drop loot specifically for you. This means that it is possible to get items not for your spec, but that only happens from the rarest place those items drop (standard world drops).

If you are receiving an off-spec item based on the information above, that is likely a bug. With that in mind, here is the information I need to help the team investigate the issue:
  • Current item rating?

Please be as specific as possible when providing the above details and thank you in advance for the information. I am already grabbing this information from the other relevant threads where these details are provided, just want to get it one place for investigation.

-eric
Just saw your post, I will reply in detail when I wake up with the info you require (it’s 4.34am here)

Wilgard
11.18.2019 , 12:10 PM | #5

• Current item rating?

Class Role: Jedi Guardian
Spec: Focus (DPS)
Toggled Role: Focus Guardian (Not "Current Discipline")
Current Item Rating: 306
Location Item was Received: Veteran Mode Operation, Annihilator Droid XRR-3 (First boss of Eternity Vault)
Exact Item Received: Lord of Pain Gauntlets (Guardian Tank set bonus)

Note that I was the only Jedi Guardian in the operations group; The only tank in the group was a Jedi Shadow.
The Fortium Legacy
Star Forge
Click Here For Free Stuff

Gamemaron
11.18.2019 , 12:21 PM | #6
Sith-Warrior, Juggernaut, Tank

Current Discipline (Tank)

Current item rating?

OP Boss / FP Boss (both many different ones)

Barrels. Lots and lots of Barrels

- Operative (Burst-DPS)
- Sniper (Engeniering)

- Current Discipline
- Current Discipline

Current item rating?

- OP Boss / FP Boss (both many different ones)
- OP Boss / FP Boss (both many different ones)

- Hilts. Lots and lots of hilts
- Even more hilts

I should state, that I'm not the only one, where barells are dropping on force classes and hilts on tech classes.
An other Operative in my raid-group and a merc in my guild have the exact same problem
And that, at the moment, I'm using the same armour (right and left side) for all my DPS-Chars until they have a full setbonus. But can't really think that this would be the problem
"Ey, warum krieg immer ich aufs Fressbrett?" Ach ja, da war was:
Juggernaut-Tank on Tulak Hord

Goreshaga
11.18.2019 , 01:11 PM | #7
Deception Assassin

Current item rating?
Was somewhere around 242 as i was progressing the story on a lvl 70 toon

The Nathema Conspiracy FP, the one that advances the story, so playing solo with Lana and Theron with me, i think it was either with the 2 optional bosses or on the droid one, don't really remember which one.

Hm i think it was a ear piece, not sure, but it was a piece for the left side of my character that clearly had tank stats while playing on a DPS character.
In need of more Arcann, Aric, Torian, Vector, and a lot, lot, lot more Theron.
There's nothing like geting too much Theron

My characters

streunekatze
11.18.2019 , 04:31 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Akushii View Post
I have been receiving off spec loot on my toon most of the time, while trying to farm Master Mode Flashpoints.

I have been playing an Operative/Scoundrel (have mirror class) and have been running with a friend playing Assassin/Shadow to farm Master Mode flashpoints. I have been running as Concealment, however I have my loot toggle set to Medicine to try and get healer gear. I am iRating 306 already and just trying to farm for tacticals/mods/enhancements. For tactical drops, most of the drop has been for either Concealment or Lethality (Received 5-6 of them).

For actual gear drop, I am still receiving a LOT of gear with Accuracy in it. Normally healing gear does not contain any Accuracy gear and I was expecting to receive Alacrity/Critical gear, however there seems to be no difference between heal/dps spec toggle.

However when running on my alt with tank spec toggled, the gear drop seems to be correct. The Tactical drop still doesn't seem to take loot toggle into account. I would receive dps tacticals (spec specific) even when I have tank spec toggled.
Even as an Operative Healer I keep getting stuff with accury, which I don't need at all. And I get it from all sources, drops, crates, everywhere. Even buying at that one Vendor on the fleet.

From the explenation above... does this mean because healer and dds fall into the same group this is ment to happen and will keep happening?

Sarova
11.18.2019 , 04:47 PM | #9
[color=#f9d648]Every other place you get loot; boss kills, Renown Crates, Conquest Crates, Missions Reward crates (such as from PvP or Heorics) will all always drop loot specifically for you. This means that it is possible to get items not for your spec, but that only happens from the rarest place those items drop (standard world drops).
I would like to declare that based on the above, the game loot drop system has become Skynet and is doing what it wants! I will start keeping a record of all the random crud that's not spec specific to my lightning inq.
Iokath Needs Customised Quinns - Make it Happen || Quinn Treats™
Add an option to switch off vendor icons
My Rishi
Magical Clicky Link

Lowarro
11.18.2019 , 04:49 PM | #10
Hey folks,
-eric
I think this may be the issue here. Set bonuses are divided by general, base class, and advanced class. They are listed this way in the patch notes, and I suspect in the loot tables as well. As such the loot drops of set pieces would NOT take loot discipline into account except when filling in the mods.

Tacticals are divided by general, advanced class and discipline, so I'm guessing the same issue isn't happening with tacticals.

Edit: A couple of examples from this thread:

Quote: Originally Posted by Percilator View Post
Telekinetics Sage (DPS)

Current Discipline (Telekinetics)
Revitalized Mystic's set for Seer (Heals) - Robe, Lower Robe, and Belt

Each week that I complete my personal conquest target, I get another piece of that healer set from the guild target reward (large crate twice and medium crate once).

I also have Empowered Restorer's Boots (Heals again) and Endless Offensive Lower Robe (proper drop for my spec), but I don't remember where those came from. So 1 out of 5 set piece drops was for my spec.
Quote: Originally Posted by Wilgard View Post
Class Role: Jedi Guardian
Spec: Focus (DPS)
Toggled Role: Focus Guardian (Not "Current Discipline")
Exact Item Received: Lord of Pain Gauntlets (Guardian Tank set bonus)

I'm guessing this isn't so much a bug as a design oversight. While there are set bonuses that seem to be obviously for healing or for tanking, the set bonus shells don't seem to be divided by discipline, therefore people expecting DPS gear are getting set bonuses for healing or tanking and vice versa.

Also should note that I'm not sure how much this should change, as there are set bonuses that while intended for DPS are better choices for tanks than the tank set bonuses according to theorycrafters.
Companion Master My Referral Code
I think that you have beaten the game . Congrats, that is crazy!

-eric