Ops and gear

So i've been playing SWTOR for a while now, and been getting gear for ops, however i'm not sure which ops i shall do. or which dificulty.

My current gear is as follows

Ear: Rakata

Implant: Rakata

Relic: Epic pvp (purple)

Head: Columni

Chest: Exotech

Belt: black hole

Leg: Columni

Boots: Columni

Main hand: Columni

Off hand: Rakata

Which ops should i do, and in which difficulty should i do them?

It's hard to make an evaluation without knowing your class, and who you're raiding with.

Using your dps on the training dummy as a guide:

For SM EV/KP, you just need a weapon, and not be naked :-P

For HM EV/KP, TFM SM and EC SM, a DPS needs around 1200 dps, a tank needs around 20k hp, a healer should heal around 1000 hps (heal per second)

For HM EC, , a DPS needs around 1600 dps, a tank should be around 23-24k, and a healer needs around 1400 hps

For TFM EC, a DPS needs around 1800 dps, a tank should have over 25k hp, and the healer puts out 2000+ hps. It is really brutal in there.

Pick up groups for the harder operations will only result in tears, you should join a guild if you want to do TFM EC.

So i've been playing SWTOR for a while now, and been getting gear for ops, however i'm not sure which ops i shall do. or which dificulty.

My current gear is as follows

Ear: Rakata

Implant: Rakata

Relic: Epic pvp (purple)

Head: Columni

Chest: Exotech

Belt: black hole

Leg: Columni

Boots: Columni

Main hand: Columni

Off hand: Rakata

Which ops should i do, and in which difficulty should i do them?

From a gear perspective, you are perfectly fine for any of the ops that drop Rakata (Eternity Vault and Karagaa's Palace Hard Mode or Explosive Conflict and Terror from Beyond Story Mode). You can also run HM Lost Island (tier 2 flashpoint), which drops the Rakata chestpiece. Keep running weeklies for BH comms too. Fill out your Rakata set and get a couple more BH pieces and you will be set for EC HM. Don't bother with TfB HM until you have full augmented campaign gear. The enrage timers have no flexibility for undergeared DPS, and the bosses hit too hard for undergeared tanks and healers.

Your gear is ready for HM EV & KP, but if you haven't done them in story mode you really should do that first. Take the chance to learn the basic mechanics before you jump into HM.

I've done ev and kp on hm many times on other my other chars, so i got the basics and tacts.

I do need to do ec and tfb on sm as i've never done them, since they came out after i took a break.

I

For HM EV/KP, TFM SM and EC SM, a DPS needs around 1200 dps, a tank needs around 20k hp, a healer should heal around 1000 hps (heal per second)

For HM EC, , a DPS needs around 1600 dps, a tank should be around 23-24k, and a healer needs around 1400 hps

Way to totally inflate numbers beyond what they actually need. Done all of the above with people doing alot less than you advised minimums.

Good luck getting 1800 dps out of anything but a VG or sent.

For TFM EC, a DPS needs around 1800 dps, a tank should have over 25k hp, and the healer puts out 2000+ hps. It is really brutal in there.

Pick up groups for the harder operations will only result in tears, you should join a guild if you want to do TFM EC.

Your DPS numbers are absolute nonsense. You don't need anywhere near 1200 DPS for SM EC/TFB or HM EV/KP. You can easily clear them with around 1000 DPS.

For HM EC 1200 DPS is pretty average and perfectly acceptable. If you are pulling 1500 DPS you are doing really well, and at 1600 you will be face-rolling all the bosses. Hell, go look at the parses on Torparse. Some of the numbers you are quoting would put you on the worldwide rankings for these instances.

Can confirm that actual DPS numbers dont need to be anywhere near what has been described here.

From personal experience, the following is more accurate:

SM EV and KP: 600-700dps per boss

HM EV and KP: 900-1000dps per boss

SM EC: 800-900dps per boss

SM TFB: 700-800dps per boss

HM EC: 1100-1200dps per boss

HM TFB: 1300+dps per boss

Now, these are actual in game numbers, not dummy numbers. Your ability to hit these numbers will depend vastly on the boss you are doing. For example, Gharj in EV has a lot of downtime for melee so even BiS geared melee can only get 1000ish DPS but they'd probably be doing 1600-1800 on a dummy.

My personal experience as a raid leader in a guild with a vast range of players is that most people can face-roll 700-800 dps with no knowledge of their class and columi gear. You can pretty much hit any skill you want and get those numbers. Those same people in full BiS are only getting 1000dps. So, rotation and understanding of your class counts for sooooo much more than gear.

My general rule of thumb is once a raider can hit 1200 on the ops dummy then it means they've actually started putting in effort to learn their rotation and get better, rather than just faceroll the keyboard. Once someone starts putting in the effort they can generally get much higher DPS fairly quickly (we had a gunslinger go from 700dps to 1700 dps in 4 weeks....). Once you've learnt your rotation then it comes down to raid experience. That same gunslinger who went from 700dps to 1700dps is still really inconsistant due to lack of raid experience. He did 1700dps on Writhing Horror HM on one run but on the very next run dropped to 900dps simply because the raid caught him out. The top raiders out there will have better raid awareness/experience and will remain consistant.

This is a really usefull thread. Now when you guys quote numbers, is that on an operation dummy? Cause I'm still on SM EC/TFB but I can hit 1177 on an operation dummy.

But with a main stat of 1830 (buffed and stimed) should I be hitting more, or is this pretty good for a deception assassin?

Edited by DarthSylar

This is a really usefull thread. Now when you guys quote numbers, is that on an operation dummy? Cause I'm still on SM EC/TFB but I can hit 1177 on an operation dummy.

But with a main stat of 1830 (buffed and stimed) should I be hitting more, or is this pretty good for a deception assassin?

The numbers we are talking about are actual parses from the boss fights, not ops dummy numbers. For HM EC, you need to be shooting for 1200 DPS on fights like Toth and Zorn and Firebrand and Stormcaller, although your group can clear it with DPS putting out numbers slightly below that, say the 1100 range. Vorgath will be lower because of the mechanics of the fight where you aren't always hitting something. You also want at least 1000 DPS on Kephess although 1200 is much more respectable.

Can't say for certain whether those ops dummy numbers are respectable, but I can tell you deception Assassin is not a great spec for PvE DPS. It parses much lower than Madness.

Can confirm that actual DPS numbers dont need to be anywhere near what has been described here.

From personal experience, the following is more accurate:

SM EV and KP: 600-700dps per boss

HM EV and KP: 900-1000dps per boss

SM EC: 800-900dps per boss

SM TFB: 700-800dps per boss

HM EC: 1100-1200dps per boss

HM TFB: 1300+dps per boss

Now, these are actual in game numbers, not dummy numbers. Your ability to hit these numbers will depend vastly on the boss you are doing. For example, Gharj in EV has a lot of downtime for melee so even BiS geared melee can only get 1000ish DPS but they'd probably be doing 1600-1800 on a dummy.

My personal experience as a raid leader in a guild with a vast range of players is that most people can face-roll 700-800 dps with no knowledge of their class and columi gear. You can pretty much hit any skill you want and get those numbers. Those same people in full BiS are only getting 1000dps. So, rotation and understanding of your class counts for sooooo much more than gear.

My general rule of thumb is once a raider can hit 1200 on the ops dummy then it means they've actually started putting in effort to learn their rotation and get better, rather than just faceroll the keyboard. Once someone starts putting in the effort they can generally get much higher DPS fairly quickly (we had a gunslinger go from 700dps to 1700 dps in 4 weeks....). Once you've learnt your rotation then it comes down to raid experience. That same gunslinger who went from 700dps to 1700dps is still really inconsistant due to lack of raid experience. He did 1700dps on Writhing Horror HM on one run but on the very next run dropped to 900dps simply because the raid caught him out. The top raiders out there will have better raid awareness/experience and will remain consistant.

Please note that the number I quoted are for the operation dummy. During operation, most dps will take a 20% hit on their optimal DPS due to mechanics, so the numbers ends up around the same.

On a further note, 1300dps for TFB HM? Operator 9 datacores have 90k hp, and for the yellow phase you have to down 2 of them, with 3 dps, in around 40 seconds of dps time. With bloodthirst and adrenal our dps clears it with a few seconds to spare, but two of our dps parses over 1900 dps on the dummy. Unless there is a trick, I can't see how you can get past that phrase with 1300 dps.

Yeah, for TFB, you need to be at 1400-1500 in my experience. That's average for the four DPS in the actual parsing data, not against an ops dummy.

For what it's worth, using ops dummies as a measurement device in general is kinda worthless. They inflate the numbers of some specs and deflate others. I do more DPS in some boss fights than I do on the dummy.

Edited by SoonerJBD