Anyone else seeing this Gunship issue?

Dragusin

I don't have a problem with Gunships overall. Except when they snip me through girders, satellites, asteroids, etc. I'm seeing more and more of these cheaters. And to make it worse the game I was in last night that really piss me off was against a premade that was kicking our asses at all satellites. Fine, I can deal with those types of games (switch to turret killer and farm what rep I can)... but really you need to cheat too??

Two gunships were sitting on top of a satellite and you'd think they would be easy targets. NOT, they were tanks and even with burst I couldn't kill one without dying to another, or the scout protecting them or the turrets. One using Ion to slow and the other rail gun to kill. So I got tired of playing that game and just started zooming in and killing the turrets and high tailing it out to recharge my cool downs to come back and take our more turrets. Only to have them kill me when I was hiding behind stuff. They so cool.

If my ship is showing gray with lines because I'm behind something then they should NOT be able to hit me. Just like I can't lock a missile onto them. This isn't a Lag issue. I was full stop behind one of those big white tower things on the one map in the clouds and died to a gunship on top of the satellite who one shot right thought it from the other side.

Nobody snipes you through solid objects. Stop being a sore loser. Whats happening is that the Gunship hugs the edge of the girder or asteroid so only their nose is poking over or through a small hole. Then they sit and wait for a bad or unaware player to pass them by and BOOM. Theyre dead.

If they were clearly out of LOS, then you got destroyed by another player.

Edited by renegadeimp

Snipe through things, no. However, the girders have gaps in them and if I track you I can shoot when you go from grey to red and hit you. Same goes for shooting right along the edges of an asteroid or what have you. Just track and as soon as they go red, shoot. (Of course, you do periodically shoot whatever someone is moving behind because you can only hold the shot so long.

I don't have a problem with Gunships overall. Except when they snip me through girders, satellites, asteroids, etc. I'm seeing more and more of these cheaters. And to make it worse the game I was in last night that really piss me off was against a premade that was kicking our asses at all satellites. Fine, I can deal with those types of games (switch to turret killer and farm what rep I can)... but really you need to cheat too??

Two gunships were sitting on top of a satellite and you'd think they would be easy targets. NOT, they were tanks and even with burst I couldn't kill one without dying to another, or the scout protecting them or the turrets. One using Ion to slow and the other rail gun to kill. So I got tired of playing that game and just started zooming in and killing the turrets and high tailing it out to recharge my cool downs to come back and take our more turrets. Only to have them kill me when I was hiding behind stuff. They so cool.

If my ship is showing gray with lines because I'm behind something then they should NOT be able to hit me. Just like I can't lock a missile onto them. This isn't a Lag issue. I was full stop behind one of those big white tower things on the one map in the clouds and died to a gunship on top of the satellite who one shot right thought it from the other side.

Are you Annihilator on Jung Ma? Sorry, that was me. No hack, I used strafe until you were just visible. A couple other times I just held the shots until the moments you were exposed between girders.

We weren't doing it to farm kills or anything; I was there to observe the other gunship and give some pointers.

Edited by Kuciwalker

There is not an issue. You are frustrated because you have not learned how to play against gunships yet. Understandable as it takes time. I was frustrated myself.

The 2 Gunships were

Alex and Satelé (me)

We just happen to be teamed up ( encouraged you to do same - good to go in with friends)

We were both Perched over the A satellite, Alex was covering me and I was covering him, and we both hit the same targets, whatever was closest. In other words good team coordination and tactics.

There was no cheating just great skill used against someone that wasn't as skilled (I know I've been in that spot of the unskilled, but it takes time).

Hope you take the time to observe and ask allot of questions of the better players, that what I did. Players like Alex, Tsukuyomi, Aloriana, Doctori, Jyx and others , all great players that have spent time and learned the game. You should do the same, best of luck to you.

Also, this is an excellent guide on Gunships you may want to take time to read up on it is excellently done!

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=711199

Satelé

Edited by Javelina
added credit to author of another post

• 4 weeks later...

:d_evil: Statement: Time to rez a thread!

:d_evil: Observation: I find it funny how the first ones to comment are always the ones who say "You don't know how to play." or "You are just not skilled and therefore suck." Nice way to be deconstructive.

:d_evil: Statement: I have noticed this happen as well. Mostly when I'm getting hit through the Satellite. I'm directly on the other side of the satellite from where the Gunship is, facing the only gunship at that Satellite, not moving, and they continue to hit me. I would sit in the little notch/corner of the underside and still get hit.

:d_evil: Admission: I agree that without proof, it's not believable at best.

:d_evil: Warning: But posting or linking such things can be viewed as "calling out players".

:d_evil: Statement: To be fair, I have no problems with Gunships. My beef is with Scouts. I have no cause to say that something is wrong if there isn't. However if I'm getting hit from the other side of the satellite by the only gunship around, I think it would be fair to say that something is up.

:d_evil: Suggestion: If a CS droid or the master would say if posting links of images of these events with the names of players blocked out didn't count as "calling out", that would be helpful.

Edited by HKtheindomitable

For the record, I am very happy with GSF and almost exclusively play a scout on both Imp and Pub sides. I always solo queue and have gotten noticed/compliments from both teammates and opponents. I have absolutely no problem with gunships and didn't even know there was a perceived gunship problem until I started reading these forums today.

And the reason I'm on these forums to begin with is, I experienced this today. I was being hit by what seemed like Ion Railgun. I was solo defending "C" in Lost Shipyards. I know ideal hiding spots and possible angles of attack. I know how to target the last opponent that hit me. I am not a GSF newbie. I know how to research problems and figure out solutions.

Anyway, my shields stayed dead and I had low hull damage per shot. After several hits and confirming via target-back, target-nearest, target-cycle, and looking around, that there were no other attackers, I went to the very "bottom" tip of the satellite and turned back around to confirm that the gunship was on the far side (ie. "top": the entire mass of the satellite PLUS towers and antennae were between us). And I was STILL getting hit. I died due to very slow hull damage while wondering what that was that I had never seen before.

Let me reiterate, I am very happy with GSF and am not complaining about gunships. I have no screenshots or videos for proof. I don't care if you believe me or not. The only thing I can think of is AoE Ion Railgun and he was actually hitting turrets, but I didn't have the presence of mind while it was happening to check for that.

TLDR: Assuming that I am telling the truth (and I am), what could have happened here?

Yes, turrets or an ally being targeted is your best bet.

This.

Dormancy, whomever killed you was having an absolute blast because you didn't move far enough away or chase him down. If you died slowly, then it means you died to Ion Railgun aoe. This means that he was targetting the TURRETS around the satellites. These have 1000 hull, around 50% armor, and, more importantly, take a quarter damage from his ion railgun. You cannot hug a satellite against an ion railgun- that is the point, you must leave the humpsat and actually engage in combat. It's not a hack or an exploit.

This.

Dormancy, whomever killed you was having an absolute blast because you didn't move far enough away or chase him down. If you died slowly, then it means you died to Ion Railgun aoe. This means that he was targetting the TURRETS around the satellites. These have 1000 hull, around 50% armor, and, more importantly, take a quarter damage from his ion railgun. You cannot hug a satellite against an ion railgun- that is the point, you must leave the humpsat and actually engage in combat. It's not a hack or an exploit.

Query: Even when the sat is controlled by the opposite faction and you're the only fighter around for 10+k meters?

Answer: Not unless the AoE is bigger than 10k.

Query: Even when the sat is controlled by the opposite faction and you're the only fighter around for 10+k meters?

If the sat is controlled by the other guys, the other guys can't ion it.

That said, anyone who honestly believes that ion tapping turrets to exert massive amounts of control over the entire capture area is balanced, requires any level of skill to execute, or has counters that require equal levels of skill... honestly has to be trolling.

That said, anyone who honestly believes that ion tapping turrets to exert massive amounts of control over the entire capture area is balanced, requires any level of skill to execute, or has counters that require equal levels of skill... honestly has to be trolling.

Hold up. If talented for AOE, one ion gunship shot disables all turrets on a node?

The post I was responding to said:

And the reason I'm on these forums to begin with is, I experienced this today. I was being hit by what seemed like Ion Railgun. I was solo defending "C" in Lost Shipyards.

You will note that this implies it was a green node to the defender, and almost assuredly had turrets, because that is obviously what happened.

Hold up. If talented for AOE, one ion gunship shot disables all turrets on a node?

Ions do essentially nothing to the turret. They do not disable them, drain them, or otherwise harm them beyond their trivial hull damage, a full charge of which is approximately equal to half a burst laser cannon hit- armor reduces ion damage, and the turrets have plenty.

The thing is, you aim at the turrets, and the aoe effects the sat humpers, hurting their shields by a large amount, and their systems substantially (and even their hull, though this takes quite awhile to score a kill on even a low health target). This is, as far as I can tell, the main purpose of the ion aoe- to get those super annoying little scouts out, who otherwise require like three opposing ships. It's a good strategy, but it is very welcome to have a counter.

What's the radius/range of Ion AoE then? And, more importantly to me: Ion AoE is a good working theory, but what else could it have been?

I'd also point out that I have no videos/screenshots to prove it happened, and likewise can not prove that there were turrets at all, or that Ion AoE is the culprit. Nobody believed the original poster and everyone assumed he was just playing badly. We shouldn't be so quick to shrug it off as "eh, it was Ion AoE" after being presented with no further evidence and only one more anecdote from me.

No but it disables all enemy ships within the capping radius of the sat.

And no there is no counter to this strategy that doesn't involve outnumbering your opponents in the first place. You can leave the AoE radius but to do so you are both succeeding control of the satellite to the opposing team and your just opening yourself up to get shot in the face with said ion rail. At which point your going to die anyway.

Also the ion AoE hits both shield arcs and thus renders Directional shields pointless.

Edited by Zoom_VI

What's the radius/range of Ion AoE then? And, more importantly to me: Ion AoE is a good working theory, but what else could it have been?

5km and there's no reason to explore any further IMO- mostly because if a gunship could shoot a player LOS, he would wind up two big slugs. The death would be very fast compared to all deaths described in this thread.

We shouldn't be so quick to shrug it off as "eh, it was Ion AoE" after being presented with no further evidence and only one more anecdote from me.

Yes we should. Two players who are either unaware of, or relatively inexperienced with, ion aoe, both describe a situation where that would explain everything.

The only other possibility is that the enemy player is hacking in some manner, which I'm sure will become common enough soon enough, but seems unlikely. This particular check is very likely server side, however, so I don't think a hack would do it.

Ion AOE it is!

Yes we should. Two players who are either unaware of, or relatively inexperienced with, ion aoe, both describe a situation where that would explain everything.

Ion AOE it is!

Hello all, Org poster here. I did not respond to this post because the people responding were your typical L2P posts and didn't deserve a response. They had NO knowledge of my skill and I don't need to defend myself here.

Some fun facts: I have over 900 matches played atm. I have Maxed Gun, Maxed Flashfire, Maxed pike on one Reb and some maxed ships on my Imp. I fly all my toons each day to complete the daily so I often fly Nova's which aren't maxed and often get top kills/damage/medals.

So if you'd like to see how un-experianced I am come to JC and fly with or against any of my toons: Dragorin, Dragusin, Drags, Dragz, Jazrella, or Jazmean.... I'm on most evenings.

Now back on topic. Since I created the thread I was going to start recording my sessions but gave up because I wasn't seeing this issue a lot (it's not everyone who tries to cheese) and didn't want to go through all the trouble if nobody else was seeing this happen. (Now I just kill Gunships on site and don't give them the opportunity.)

I've paid a lot more attention to what's happening and I think this is all Lag related. Just like missiles, were sometimes you can get the shot off after they went around something and sometimes you lose the lock before you see the visual of them moving behind something.

So I've done some tests on my Gun ship, I've tried a number of times to duplicate the issue. I have hit people where I shouldn't BUT never a stationary target solidly behind something. I've clipped edges and of course Ion AOE can be fun.

Also my org post wasn't ONLY about satellites. You can't ION Aoe an asteroid (or can you?) and I have seen the Rail gun animation .. you know that long white line you see fly across the battle field... go through solid objects.. but again that's just the animation not the damage which could be some of what I've seen and the damage I've gotten I'm caulking up to Lag and the way the server and client record hits and misses.

If more people where seeing the issue I asked about I'm sure this post would have seen more traffic. So my answer is not ION AOE but LAG and Server communications. Who fired first vs who got behind the solid object first.

People need to talk about the issues posted here and stop calling people BAD when you have no clue as to what kind of pilot your dealing with.

The only other possibility is that the enemy player is hacking in some manner, which I'm sure will become common enough soon enough, but seems unlikely. This particular check is very likely server side, however, so I don't think a hack would do it.

Ion AOE it is!

Agreement: In the case of the OP, I totally agree. It was most likely lag.

Conjecture: However, in cases like what I've experienced, where it's controlled by the opposite faction and the closest ally is 10+k meters away and there's only the one GS and I'm behind the sat not moving and still getting hit, it seems that there's more going on. I would attribute that to lag too, but I know there wasn't any lag, specifically because neither I or the GS was moving.

Conclusion: There is a 50% chance that there was/is more going on that there seems. There is also a 50% chance that an ally flew into range and I was getting hit from them, though one would expect the Sat to protect them from any AoE. Without any further evidence to support the other, there is no way to say for certain.