New Player Starter Guide and suggestions for returning players

Alexisshade

Hello everyone this is an old post and its been modified. Here is a new player stater guide with a list of things i wish i knew when I started. I have also add links to other tips also i think they would be useful for players on the new sever.

The guide is found in the spoiler.

1 Use a referral link it gives you free stuff. Most people have one in their signatures

2 Join a guild it gives you extra experience

3 Use the security key feature it gives you access to a special vendor and 100 cartel coins a month.

4 Subscribe to earn more exp and get 500 cartel coins a month. I recommend you check out the deal Knights of the Eternal Throne Amazon Premium Pack. the link is in my signature this deal gives you 3 months of subscription, permanent access to the game and its expansions, a swoop mount, a pet, and 2400 cartel( worth another $23) all for the price of subscription. With the security key you end up with 4200 coins

5 hold off on using exp boost until level 25 then do heroics or flash points till level 50. (class mission rewards get boosted to.)

6 use the legacy perks as soon possible (at least for the reduced time for quick travel)

7 When your level 10 go to fleet and get a stronghold they can be very useful if you get the following items 1 storage box 2 legacy storage box 3 GTN kiosk and 4 guild storage box. You can access all those items anywhere anytime when you travel to and from your stronghold(you can do at level 7)

8 on the fleet check out crew skills they are useful for end game so level them up as you go I have recommendations for doing this here.

9 Use as many redeem codes as you can i have provided a few here

in the spoiler there are more Tho not everyone agrees upon them.

10 When you are level 50 or above do the weekly and daily heroics to earn lots of credits, they don't add much to the game now the most have had their story Nerf ed check out these recommendations to get 200 + k in less than an hour. by clicking this link.

11 Only play the main story missions they give you exp boost and companions for crafting many would disagree but I say hold off on the extra mission until level 50 because after you reach level 50 they pay 10k per mission and the rewards are better than if you did them low level. (if you're not into pvp or end game do all quest it makes the game more enjoyable for some).

Recommendation for earning credits

List of heroics that can be done in under an hour

Feel free to leave a comment or give thanks

Edited by Alexisshade
Update. some comments were outdate

8 When your level 10 go to fleet and get a stronghold

Level 7. You can get on the fleet shuttle from the starter world as soon as you are level 7. You'll need 5000 credits to unlock Coruscant or Dromund Kaas. Choose Coruscant for Republic characters, or Dromund Kaas for Imperials, and buy the other one as soon as you make a character on the other side. (You can use them cross-faction, but it costs 1000 credits per visit, 500 for smugglers and agents.)

Level 7. You can get on the fleet shuttle from the starter world as soon as you are level 7. You'll need 5000 credits to unlock Coruscant or Dromund Kaas. Choose Coruscant for Republic characters, or Dromund Kaas for Imperials, and buy the other one as soon as you make a character on the other side. (You can use them cross-faction, but it costs 1000 credits per visit, 500 for smugglers and agents.)

A minor Correction, Smugglers and Agents only pay 250 credits.;)

I recommend holding back on getting a stronghold and grinding on your starting planet until level 15. Once your level 15 you can accept a mission from a holostatue (right in front of the stronghold vendors). it can be completed by taking a few steps around your stronghold. Once completed you'll get a mail box, legacy storage, and other useful decoration.

Edited by AceMasterSoul

I recommend holding back on getting a stronghold and grinding on your starting planet until level 15. Once your level 15 you can accept a mission from a holostatue (right in front of the stronghold vendors). it can be completed by taking a few steps around your stronghold. Once completed you'll get a mail box, legacy storage, and other useful decoration.

There is no reason to delay buying a Stronghold, the mission does not require you to buy a Stronghold (even if it claims so) and will complete for all characters once you travel to one of your strongholds and take afew steps.

Edited by hof_th

There is no reason to delay buying a Stronghold, the mission does not require you to buy a Stronghold (even if it claims so) and will complete for all characters once you travel to one of your strongholds and take afew steps.

For new players the stronghold isn’t as big of an asset until they progress further in the game, mainly when they get utility items, mailbox , storage etc. Focusing on reaching level 15 will allow them to get two of those right off the bat.

Edited by AceMasterSoul

A few other points to add to the list:

• Once you are at the fleet go to the Priority Missions Terminal and pick up the "Introduction to ..." Quests for extra XP and , incase of PVP, some Gear.
  • If you want to do the first flashpoint (Black Talon for imperials, Esseles for republic) via groupfinder start queeing for it as soon possible since it's only available on Veteran difficulty until lvl 15.

For new players the stronghold isn’t as big of an asset until they progress further in the game, mainly when they get utility items, mailbox , storage etc. Focusing on reaching level 15 will allow them to get two of those right off the bat.

I realize that, but your post reminded me that the quest says "Purchase a Stronghold at a Stronghold Directory and Travel to Your Stronghold" which is simply false, once bought your first Stronghold, since only the travel part is required.

Edited by hof_th

5 hold off on using exp boost until level 25 then do heroics or flash points till level 50. (class mission rewards get boosted to.)

7 When your level 7 go to fleet and get a stronghold they can be very useful if you get the following items 1 storage box 2 legacy storage box 3 GTN kiosk and 4 guild storage box. You can access all those items anywhere anytime when you travel to and from your stronghold

11 Only play the main story missions they give you exp boost and companions for crafting many would disagree but i say hold off on the extra mission until level 50 because after you reach level 50 they pay 10k per mission and the rewards are better then if you did them low level.(if your not into pvp or end game do all quest it makes the game more enjoyable for some)

I agree with most of your points, but not all of them, at least for the "new player" part of your title.

5) why would a new player want to speed level? for a lot of players the 1-50 story is the best part of the game. I would advise a new player to take his time playing the story. Endgame will come soon enough and it's really worth it to experience the full story (at least the original class story) at least once.

7) there is little point in going to the fleet and buy a stronghold as soon as you get to level 7. As long as you're still on the starter planet playing your first character, you won't need a stronghold at all, especially since you won't have any usefull decos for it and you defenitly won't have the credits to buy them (nor would it make sense to do so, considering that you'll get some of them for free with the lvl 15 quest). So why would you travel to the fleet and back to get something you won't be using untill you're supposed to go to the fleet via quest anyway?

11) it's basically the same point I made on point 5. If you're a new player, take your time exploring. Do some side-quests, if you feel like it. From a story point of view it makes little sense to skip them and come back to them later, it'll just confuse you about the time-line. And if you want to farm credits, doing dailies/heroics is a better way anyway.

I agree with most of your points, but not all of them, at least for the "new player" part of your title.

7) there is little point in going to the fleet and buy a stronghold as soon as you get to level 7. As long as you're still on the starter planet playing your first character, you won't need a stronghold at all, especially since you won't have any useful decors for it and you definitely won't have the credits to buy them (nor would it make sense to do so, considering that you'll get some of them for free with the lvl 15 quest). So why would you travel to the fleet and back to get something you won't be using until you're supposed to go to the fleet via quest anyway?

I can see your points especially the part about enjoying the story i would encourage playing it in full I am currently playing with a boosted character that started at level 70 and allows me to do all class mission and bonus missions with the credit boost and all abilities witch feels way better then when I first played. that kinda of affected my judgment I guess it depends on the type of player you are. i still stand buy my suggestion. I like playing with friends and story mission kinda of got in the way building up a guild and crafting end game gear to get the reward from the end game content. my friend in pretty far in the game when i starter so i had to play catch up and i build speed runs for multiple l toons and my list was the most effective way to do it.

as for the strong hold thing my inventory filled up pretty fast and the storage on the fleet is nice but to have it in a Strong hold is better you can return right back into the game were as when you go to fleet you cant add the legacy storage box and with multiple toons it was essential to treading items back and forth for crafting now that you can store money that just awesome

• 2 weeks later...
I realize that, but your post reminded me that the quest says "Purchase a Stronghold at a Stronghold Directory and Travel to Your Stronghold" which is simply false, once bought your first Stronghold, since only the travel part is required.

It only becomes false for non-new players or anyone who has already purchased a stronghold.

• 2 weeks later...

This is some good advise, just a few things to add:

1 Use a referral link it gives you free stuff. Most people have one in their signatures

Some additional info about referral links. F2P players who use a referral link will receive a Jumpstart Bundle, which includes one Quick Travel Pass, five Minor XP Boosts, and one Inventory Module unlock. Former Subscribers who use a referral link receive a Preferred Friends Bundle, which includes one Inventory Module unlock, a Crew Skill Slot unlock (F2P are limited to one crew skill, Preferred got two), Display Titles unlock, and Unify Colors unlock, as well as 7-days of subscription time. Note that F2P users don't get the sub time. These bundles are only granted for the first time one uses a referral link, subsequent uses don't grant additional bundles, the bundles are delivered to all characters, current and future, and referral links can be used every 90-days. To maximize the rewards one can receive from referral links a F2P player would need to use a referral link to receive the Jumpstart Bundle, then subscribe, and after 90-days use another link to receive the Preferred Friends Bundle and 7-days sub time. Doing this will net them two free Inventory Module unlocks, a handful of XP boosts, and several account unlocks that are useful to Preferred players. The Inventory Module unlocks can be particularly beneficial as F2P and Preferred players can't use credits to unlock addition inventory modules.

3 Use the security key feature it gives you access to a special vendor and 100 cartel coins a month.

This may have been a bug or some other issue but, when I setup an account for my nephew I was unable to add a security key to the account when it was still F2P. Only after I subscribed the account was I able to add a security key. Now that the account is Preferred there has been no issue with removing and re-adding a key. So, new players who are F2P may not be able to make use of the security key feature, unfortunately.

4 Subscribe to earn more exp and get 500 cartel coins a month. I recommend you check out the deal Knights of the Eternal Throne Amazon Premium Pack. the link is in my signature this deal gives you 3 months of subscription, permanent access to the game and its expansions, a swoop mount, a pet, and 2400 cartel( worth another $23) all for the price of subscription. With the security key you end up with 4200 coins

Just a point of clarification, it's 500 Cartel Coins per month for a 30-day recurring subscription. 60-day fixed play time (the non-recurring option) receives 525 CC's each month for two months. A 90-day recurring subscription is granted 550 CC's per month, and a 180-day recurring subscription is granted 600 CC's per month as long as the recurring subscription is maintained. If you are going to pay to play it pays to pay for the longer sub times.

6 use the legacy perks as soon possible (at least for the reduced time for quick travel)

Ranks three for both Legacy Fleet Pass (emergency fleet pass cooldown reduction) and Legacy Travel (quick travel cooldown reduction) each cost 300,000 credits, which exceeds the credit cap for F2P players but is within the limit for Preferred players. The cooldown time for the fleet pass is 3 hours for F2P (1.5 hours for Preferred and Premium), and for quick travel it's 26 mins for F2P (6 mins for Preferred and Premium), so those unlocks are definitely good to have.

7 When your level 10 go to fleet and get a stronghold they can be very useful if you get the following items 1 storage box 2 legacy storage box 3 GTN kiosk and 4 guild storage box. You can access all those items anywhere anytime when you travel to and from your stronghold(you can do at level 7)

The reason others have suggested waiting until level 15, particularly for one's first stronghold, is that the mission to purchase and travel to your stronghold is minimum level 15. That mission awards the free decorations, such as mailbox and legacy stronghold storage, without which one's first stronghold is just an empty room. If it is not your first stronghold, or you don't have a cross-faction stronghold, then waiting until level 15 so you can do the stronghold mission makes sense. One can certainly purchase their stronghold before level 15, but without the stronghold mission they may not have anything to put in it (new players certainly won't have a stockpile of decorations). If you already have a stronghold you can travel to it at level 1, and doing so will not interfere with doing the stronghold mission later at level 15 for the free decorations (you just need to pick up the mission, travel to your existing stronghold, and walk around a bit to be awarded the decorations). The stronghold mission for the free decorations will give you useful things like legacy stronghold storage and a mailbox, but not a way to access your cargo hold. For that you can purchase a safe (wall or floor) from the Security Key Vendor (that you gain access to for adding a security key to your account). One other note about strongholds, only Subscribers can exit their stronghold to their starship or to the fleet (the bottom two exit options). F2P and Preferred players can only use the top two exit options to either exit to the strongholds planet (may be limited by whether you have your ship or not) or return to their prior location.

This is some good advise, just a few things to add:

Some additional info about referral links. F2P players who use a referral link will receive a Jumpstart Bundle, which includes one Quick Travel Pass, five Minor XP Boosts, and one Inventory Module unlock. Former Subscribers who use a referral link receive a Preferred Friends Bundle, which includes one Inventory Module unlock, a Crew Skill Slot unlock (F2P are limited to one crew skill, Preferred got two), Display Titles unlock, and Unify Colors unlock, as well as 7-days of subscription time. Note that F2P users don't get the sub time. These bundles are only granted for the first time one uses a referral link, subsequent uses don't grant additional bundles, the bundles are delivered to all characters, current and future, and referral links can be used every 90-days. To maximize the rewards one can receive from referral links a F2P player would need to use a referral link to receive the Jumpstart Bundle, then subscribe, and after 90-days use another link to receive the Preferred Friends Bundle and 7-days sub time. Doing this will net them two free Inventory Module unlocks, a handful of XP boosts, and several account unlocks that are useful to Preferred players. The Inventory Module unlocks can be particularly beneficial as F2P and Preferred players can't use credits to unlock addition inventory modules.

This may have been a bug or some other issue but, when I setup an account for my nephew I was unable to add a security key to the account when it was still F2P. Only after I subscribed the account was I able to add a security key. Now that the account is Preferred there has been no issue with removing and re-adding a key. So, new players who are F2P may not be able to make use of the security key feature, unfortunately.

Just a point of clarification, it's 500 Cartel Coins per month for a 30-day recurring subscription. 60-day fixed play time (the non-recurring option) receives 525 CC's each month for two months. A 90-day recurring subscription is granted 550 CC's per month, and a 180-day recurring subscription is granted 600 CC's per month as long as the recurring subscription is maintained. If you are going to pay to play it pays to pay for the longer sub times.

Ranks three for both Legacy Fleet Pass (emergency fleet pass cooldown reduction) and Legacy Travel (quick travel cooldown reduction) each cost 300,000 credits, which exceeds the credit cap for F2P players but is within the limit for Preferred players. The cooldown time for the fleet pass is 3 hours for F2P (1.5 hours for Preferred and Premium), and for quick travel it's 26 mins for F2P (6 mins for Preferred and Premium), so those unlocks are definitely good to have.

The reason others have suggested waiting until level 15, particularly for one's first stronghold, is that the mission to purchase and travel to your stronghold is minimum level 15. That mission awards the free decorations, such as mailbox and legacy stronghold storage, without which one's first stronghold is just an empty room. If it is not your first stronghold, or you don't have a cross-faction stronghold, then waiting until level 15 so you can do the stronghold mission makes sense. One can certainly purchase their stronghold before level 15, but without the stronghold mission they may not have anything to put in it (new players certainly won't have a stockpile of decorations). If you already have a stronghold you can travel to it at level 1, and doing so will not interfere with doing the stronghold mission later at level 15 for the free decorations (you just need to pick up the mission, travel to your existing stronghold, and walk around a bit to be awarded the decorations). The stronghold mission for the free decorations will give you useful things like legacy stronghold storage and a mailbox, but not a way to access your cargo hold. For that you can purchase a safe (wall or floor) from the Security Key Vendor (that you gain access to for adding a security key to your account). One other note about strongholds, only Subscribers can exit their stronghold to their starship or to the fleet (the bottom two exit options). F2P and Preferred players can only use the top two exit options to either exit to the strongholds planet (may be limited by whether you have your ship or not) or return to their prior location.

Thanks for the added commentary that was helpful information. Thank you OP for the tips.

• 2 months later...