Did 5.9.2 kill the "Change Loading Screen" feature?

HollyUSEC

This old thread explains how to change the loading screen:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6812283

But it seems that 5.9.2 killed that? Now, every time, it keeps replacing the graphic I use with the Default, which I hate?

Am I doing something wrong? The graphic wasn't originally 1920x1080, I resized it, but the game doesn't accept that. Is that the problem? Or did Bioware just kill the ability to change the loading screen altogether?

If they did, then a thousand poxes on Bioware unless they undo that change :p

Still works for me using 1920x1080 Loadscreen.jpg (original 1.0 loading screen)

Even if I delete the file, it doesn't get replaced automatically, I then simply have no loadscreen at all, and can see the scene being built step by step (what is usually hidden by the loadscreen.)

Are you sure you are in the right folder and actually replace the original Loadscreen.jpg?

Also, have you tried it with admin rights? Otherwise Windows might redirect your changes to a virtual folder, so you can see the modified file, while the game itself (and other users) still uses the original file that was installed by "the admin".

Edited by Mubrak

I've tried everything you suggested. Every every every ***ABSOLUTELY*** every possible idea both you and I suggested, and no matter WHAT, that blasted KOTET screen appears on my monitor when I start the game up. I delete the 5.x loading screen, it generates a new one from God-only-knows where. I put ANY type of image in its place and the game restores the 5.x one. I'm really getting sick of it. Not enough to quit the whole game, that's a petty and stupid reason to cancel a subscription, but I'm really getting tired of it. You just can't argue with a machine, you tell it "blue" 999 heptadecillion ***INFINITY*** times until Doomsday and it will do nothing but repeat "no, red" EVERY single time.

I'm willing to send you one of many email addresses I keep handy for such situations in private message, and you can try sending the original SWTOR 1.0 image, maybe? Or I'll try finding on on Google Images, although those files probably aren't 1.66 MB and might not be recognized as a "valid" loading screen file. It seems ridiculous that the game would be THAT demanding, not only about the number of pixels, but the amount of data, in a file, but machines can be exactly that... "THAT" demanding.

It has nothing to do with the fiile not being valid. I can use just about anything for that file. When it's recognised as an image format it will be stretched to fill the screen, otherwise there will be no loadscreen at all.

Have you Bitraider still active (SE in the bottom left corner of the launcher)? Possibly Bitraider automatically "repairs" the loading screen because it's part of the current patch. In that case I'd wait for the next patch, maybe then your custom loadscreen is no longer replaced.

If it still doesn't work in the next patch consider disabling bit raider (requires full download of the game)

see here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Troubleshooting-Guides-Info/Guide-How-to-Switch-to-Non-Streaming-Launcher/m-p/4867417

Edited by Mubrak

I did all the steps to disable bitraider, and deleted the necessary folders, and put in my custom load screen. The game did its clean download of the deleted directories, and I started the game up.

The 5.x loading screen appeared out of God-only-knows where.

I almost threw up.

I did all the steps to disable bitraider, and deleted the necessary folders, and put in my custom load screen. The game did its clean download of the deleted directories, and I started the game up.

But you did try again AFTER the game finished downloading, yes? With 30 GB of game files missing, the launcher goes in full repair mode and restores everything that seems off, including the loadscreen.

If it still doesn't work, let's check step-by step:

1. Did it ever work for you before, or is this the first time you try to change the load screen?
  2. Which Windows version? And do you have admin rights?
  3. In which folder is the game installed?
  4. Is your custom file replaced with the original one, or is it just the game that shows the original one?

If this is the first time you try it and your custom file is still in the folder after running the game, you most likely either are in the wrong folder or use the wrong file name, or Windows thinks you aren't authorized to change files in the game folder and hides your modification from the game.

The Windows' user access control feature ("VirtualStore") is limited to certain folders. If you installed the game to the program files folder, then you either need to log in with admin rights to modify files in there, or move the game somewhere else (e.g. C:\Games).

If it worked for you before 5.9.2 or the custom file is replaced with the original one, it seems your game is repairing itself, which is strange. The non-streaming launcher (no SE in the bottom left corner) definitely doesn't restore the file automatically, to the point where if you forget to restore the original loadscreen before patches, the patch will fail if it includes a new loadscreen.

Edited by Mubrak

I did it after the game finished downloading... but then something weird. I started up the game again later, and then, while the launcher was active, I deleted the 5.x loading screen again. I started the game, and it started with a black loading screen that transitioned into the character selection screen. Next time I started the launcher, before launching, I put in my custom loading screen-- and it loaded, not the 5.x one. Ever since, I have my custom loading screen back, no more endless instances of the game putting back the 5.x one. I'm not sure if disabling bit raider actually did the trick, or if maybe I just needed to do that one final thing while the launcher was up but the game not yet started.

I'll keep an eye on things and hopefully, the issue can be put to rest.

Thanks a lot, I just really hate that 5.x screen hahaha :D

• 1 year later...

It's so f*cking annoying!

Every time at the launcher start, the game will download the default-picture file from their server and you have this sh*tty loading screen again. If you make a right click on the Ffile or the folder to activate "Read Only", it doesn't work, cause the launcher will try to overwrite the file in an endless loop.

Your technic worked (once), but only as long as you've play the game, after closing and launcher-reboot, the f*cking launcher overwrite the picture-file again. *ARGH* :mad: Go to hell, Bioware!

Edited by -ShareVok-

Your technic worked (once), but only as long as you've play the game, after closing and launcher-reboot, the f*cking launcher overwrite the picture-file again. *ARGH* :mad: Go to hell, Bioware!

Pretty sure that's what it is supposed to do.

This is their game, they design it & make it so it does these "annoying" things. lol

JediQuaker is quite correct on his statement.

Still works for me. Even when the game is running, I can replace or even delete the loadscreen, and the game will either show the new one or none at all. This still works when I restart the game with the new loadscreen. It *will* lead to patch failure when a patch contains a new loadscreen, though, so be warned.

Same as 2 years ago:

I change the LoadingScreen.jpg file in 'Star Wars-The Old Republic\swtor\retailclient\LoadingScreens'

- File and subfolders already exist, if you needed to create a new one, you're in the wrong folder.

I don't have the streaming launcher (never had)

- If your launcher has a "SE" in the bottom left corner, it might automatically "repair" the game by restoring the current loadscreen. To get rid of the streaming launcher, see here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Troubleshooting-Guides-Info/Guide-How-to-Switch-to-Non-Streaming-Launcher/m-p/4867417

My game isn't installed to the Windows 'Program Files' folder.

- If you have it installed there, you may need to be logged in to Windows with admin rights in order to change anything.

Edited by Mubrak

It's so f*cking annoying!

Every time at the launcher start, the game will download the default-picture file from their server and you have this sh*tty loading screen again. If you make a right click on the Ffile or the folder to activate "Read Only", it doesn't work, cause the launcher will try to overwrite the file in an endless loop.

Wow, that's a proper rant :eek:.

It's not broken, I changed mine to a custom screen way back in March and I've had no issues at all since then.

Have you deleted BitRaider and re-downloaded the game without it? Yeah, it's a PITA, but it's better in the long run for general frustration issues.

Did you rename the original screen to something else, or remove it from the folder entirely?

Is your chosen image a .jpg? That was the second issue I had until i figured it out (my first issue is that I can't spell :o).