Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Arcann romance appreciation thread! Haters keep out please!❤

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Arcann romance appreciation thread! Haters keep out please!❤

Jesira's Avatar


Jesira
06.12.2019 , 10:37 AM | #5871
Quote: Originally Posted by JakRoanin View Post
I found it odd that
Spoiler
I really hope that both Arcann and Senya have a voice in PC's choices going ahead.
I didn't even think about that, it's a good point, but on the flip side Arcann is trying to keep a distance from the temptation of power and all of that, and Senya is mom'ing him so that could be the thought process behind that. I did find it to be a good sign that they included something relating to Zakuul at all in the new update, though. They sort of left Arcann's plot with his contemplation on what to do with his life, and how to make up for the bad things he did, helping protect Zakuul from a distance would be a start, but maybe not the right start for the character who is trying to figure himself out and find his own identity outside of a Prince or former Emperor of Zakuul..
ATTENTION: Include the Twi'lek into the 3 new eye colours from Appearance Options: Expanded Selections in the next patch. It was a huge mistake to not do this from the start as they are being grossly neglected as a playable species.

witchglove's Avatar


witchglove
06.15.2019 , 03:19 PM | #5872
Quote: Originally Posted by Jesira View Post
Bumping because Arcann is amazing and I want more of him in future expansions and updates.
Bumping too for the same reason!

Quote: Originally Posted by thejediscavenger View Post
I have to ask, did any of you feel from the start when you first met Arcann that he might become an ally? I never got a true villain vibe from him.
I hoped so! I felt that the Sacrifice trailer established a lot of sympathy for Arcann and set him up as someone who could potentially be redeemed. I definitely felt there was chemistry between them, especially the sarcastic way he compliments you on your achievements and the line "I suspect we have more than that in common"

Quote: Originally Posted by JakRoanin View Post
I found it odd that
Spoiler
I really hope that both Arcann and Senya have a voice in PC's choices going ahead.
I agree completely. It really would have made sense for both Arcann and Senya to be present at that meeting, especially for characters who killed or exiled Koth. I appreciate the viewpoint that Arcann might be trying to distance himself from Zakuul in order to create a new identity for himself, but I'm sure he would still care that his homeworld and former empire is being overrun by crimelords. He carries a lot of direct responsibility for the state Zakuul is currently in, obviously, and I think he would want to make amends for that. He does mention that he let down the people of Zakuul in the throne room scene in the final chapter. In that sense, it could have been a good opportunity to add a snippet to his redemption arc.

I am definitely concerned that he and Senya won't play a role in Onslaught, but I'm trying to remain hopeful. Meanwhile, I'm trying to keep my spirits up by creating my own content I'm still working on sanding and painting his mask (which I 3D printed from work ). My next project is going to be an attempt to copy this wonderful reworked Funko Pop on Reddit. Are any of you guys working on any Arcann related projects? Hint hint, Iheaca, update soon?

JakRoanin's Avatar


JakRoanin
06.15.2019 , 04:14 PM | #5873
The reason he went and tried to overthrow Vaylin to begin with is because he knew she was destroying their home, something which, despite dissidents, and giving the "Old World" to the Heralds of Zildrog wouldn't have during his reign. Unlike Valky, Arcann didn't have the skills to fake benevolence. Hence, he could not be a 'beloved' tyrant. However, Zakuul was stable. Vaylin's psychosis inevitably led to instability.

witchglove's Avatar


witchglove
06.15.2019 , 05:04 PM | #5874
Quote: Originally Posted by JakRoanin View Post
The reason he went and tried to overthrow Vaylin to begin with is because he knew she was destroying their home, something which, despite dissidents, and giving the "Old World" to the Heralds of Zildrog wouldn't have during his reign. Unlike Valky, Arcann didn't have the skills to fake benevolence. Hence, he could not be a 'beloved' tyrant. However, Zakuul was stable. Vaylin's psychosis inevitably led to instability.
He only does that if he's healed on Voss, though. If you choose not to heal him, he wants to overthrow her because he wants the throne back, not because he's protecting Zakuul from her. There's plenty of ambient dialogue throughout the chapters to indicate that many Zakuulans feel that their society is already breaking down with Arcann on the throne; he's responsible for starting the war with the Core Worlds, exterminating the Scions, punishing or exiling everyone who criticises him, for example. Zakuul may have stable under his rule, but he certainly sowed the seeds of its downfall. He also says as much himself - just like he expresses regret about it. That's why I felt it would have been nice for him to have a voice in that Hearts & Minds scene.

gamephil's Avatar


gamephil
06.15.2019 , 05:42 PM | #5875
Quote: Originally Posted by witchglove View Post
He only does that if he's healed on Voss, though. If you choose not to heal him, he wants to overthrow her because he wants the throne back, not because he's protecting Zakuul from her. There's plenty of ambient dialogue throughout the chapters to indicate that many Zakuulans feel that their society is already breaking down with Arcann on the throne; he's responsible for starting the war with the Core Worlds, exterminating the Scions, punishing or exiling everyone who criticises him, for example. Zakuul may have stable under his rule, but he certainly sowed the seeds of its downfall. He also says as much himself - just like he expresses regret about it. That's why I felt it would have been nice for him to have a voice in that Hearts & Minds scene.
Plus there's Koth. He bailed because of Arcann's rule, even while being fooled by Valkorion's "benevolence". The refugees bailed because of Arcann's rule. There is no way that I can accept that Zakuul wasn't already falling apart. Ultimately, Arcann is a redeemed tyrant, if allowed to be, but he was a tyrant, and was really bad at it, and the idea that it was Vaylin's psychosis rather than his own that lead to the crumbling empire is just odd. She certainly didn't help in her six months, but he had a full five years to tear it down, and let's be serious, considering who set it up in the first place, they were probably both doing the galaxy a favor by doing so. It's just a shame that they caused so much harm otherwise.

Jesira's Avatar


Jesira
06.16.2019 , 08:59 AM | #5876
Quote: Originally Posted by gamephil View Post
Plus there's Koth. He bailed because of Arcann's rule, even while being fooled by Valkorion's "benevolence". The refugees bailed because of Arcann's rule. There is no way that I can accept that Zakuul wasn't already falling apart. Ultimately, Arcann is a redeemed tyrant, if allowed to be, but he was a tyrant, and was really bad at it, and the idea that it was Vaylin's psychosis rather than his own that lead to the crumbling empire is just odd. She certainly didn't help in her six months, but he had a full five years to tear it down, and let's be serious, considering who set it up in the first place, they were probably both doing the galaxy a favor by doing so. It's just a shame that they caused so much harm otherwise.
The Zakuulan empire was designed by Valkorian, though and I also don't think Arcann was Emperor for 5 years, was he? The 5 years took place before he kills his father. I think Zakuul beginning to fall apart was more a story of what happens when the children of rulers inherit thrones they are not equipped or prepared to handle, especially when they are raised without empathy or love. Arcann and Vaylin were both very young, very angry, and extremely arrogant. I don't think Vaylin cared at all what ultimately happened to the throne, I think she just wanted to see the galaxy burn in the end. Also, Zakuul was made fragile by Valkorian since they didn't do anything for themselves for generations, they don't know how to handle even the slightest bit of turbulence or instability so it isn't surprising that it would have all fallen apart if it got jostled too much.

I just really, really want to see where Arcann goes, who he becomes, etc with Zakuul in the background and I think it would be a massive waste of potential not to keep him as a main character to develop as the story goes forward. To me, his path to redemption has only just begun since nothing has really happened since then.
ATTENTION: Include the Twi'lek into the 3 new eye colours from Appearance Options: Expanded Selections in the next patch. It was a huge mistake to not do this from the start as they are being grossly neglected as a playable species.

JakRoanin's Avatar


JakRoanin
06.16.2019 , 10:05 AM | #5877
I now realize that my Post seemed to imply that Arcann was a good ruler and not responsible for his actions. Forgive me, that was not my intention at all. Yes, the Zakuulians were far from adoring Arcann as their Emperor. However, again, we can attribute a great deal of this to Valky again. If you read Thexan's codex entry he was the Golden son of the Eternal Empire the assumed heir apparent and the most beloved member of the royal family after Valkorian. Valky controlled all of that, convincing the people that Arcann was the lesser son and unfit to be heir. So, the discontent was sown long before Thexan's death.

Jesira's Avatar


Jesira
06.17.2019 , 09:27 AM | #5878
Quote: Originally Posted by JakRoanin View Post
I now realize that my Post seemed to imply that Arcann was a good ruler and not responsible for his actions. Forgive me, that was not my intention at all. Yes, the Zakuulians were far from adoring Arcann as their Emperor. However, again, we can attribute a great deal of this to Valky again. If you read Thexan's codex entry he was the Golden son of the Eternal Empire the assumed heir apparent and the most beloved member of the royal family after Valkorian. Valky controlled all of that, convincing the people that Arcann was the lesser son and unfit to be heir. So, the discontent was sown long before Thexan's death.
Good point. This just makes me want to see where Arcann goes even more lol.

I would like to get into what makes him different from Thexan and Valkorian now that he is "free" of all of that, and not just the negative qualities.
ATTENTION: Include the Twi'lek into the 3 new eye colours from Appearance Options: Expanded Selections in the next patch. It was a huge mistake to not do this from the start as they are being grossly neglected as a playable species.

JakRoanin's Avatar


JakRoanin
06.17.2019 , 12:12 PM | #5879
In one of his letters Arcann said that "Thexan found a way to cope" with Valkorians abuse and conditioning while he and Vaylin broke under it. I think we definitely need to have a cutscene where PC and Arcann really talk about the past and Thexan and what happened. In the mini-movie Arcann clearly never meant to cut Thexan down, so some clarity would be great.

Atma's Avatar


Atma
06.17.2019 , 12:44 PM | #5880
Quote: Originally Posted by JakRoanin View Post
In one of his letters Arcann said that "Thexan found a way to cope" with Valkorians abuse and conditioning while he and Vaylin broke under it. I think we definitely need to have a cutscene where PC and Arcann really talk about the past and Thexan and what happened. In the mini-movie Arcann clearly never meant to cut Thexan down, so some clarity would be great.
We know what happened though. Thexan was just stronger willed than Arcann, and Vaylin got Subject Zero'd and went insane.