Orange Gears: Light, Medium and Heavy Armour?

The_Old_One

I have noticed that armour stats on light, medium and heavy armours are all different. Does that mean that an orange light armour is not suitable for a heavy armour wearer?

For example: I want to buy a set of Imperial armour from the VIP vendor for my IA and even Kaliyo. But that set is listed as Light Amour (with a relatively low armour rating). My IA wears medium armour, and Kaliyo heavy. Does it mean that the Imperial armour set is not suitable for my IA?

Or do the orange gears follow some sort of unique rules that it does not matter whether the character normally wears heavy armour. So long as the orange light armour are modded, it can be used my any character at any level?

Please advise.

Thanks

Ignore the poster above, OP made a valid point.

The item set in question is what I'd personally classify as "RP gear" and it's only available in the Light armor category. The set is available on the Collector's Edition vendor which in itself should make it a cosmetic change only - however as they are custom (orange) items they should be usable as well.

Light armor custom items don't work any different than non-custom items, and thus everyone can wear them but only light armor wearing classes can fully benefit from them.

That being said, these kinds of armor sets should be available in all armor classes.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but aren't orange items inherently stats less and thus only gains it's attributes from the mods you add into it? Thus making the OP's desire to use a specifc armor set viable?

They gain their stats from mods yes but the armor scales much higher on medium and heavy armor than light. You put the same armor mod in but the end result scales to the armor type.

The biggest beef everyone has with the social gear is that light armor wearers have FAR more options with gear than medium and heavy wearers. The point is that it isn't fair for all.

They gain their stats from mods yes but the armor scales much higher on medium and heavy armor than light. You put the same armor mod in but the end result scales to the armor type.

The biggest beef everyone has with the social gear is that light armor wearers have FAR more options with gear than medium and heavy wearers. The point is that it isn't fair for all.

Thanks for this info, I wasn't aware that it worked like that.

• 3 weeks later...
Ultimately in at least flashpoints and end game raids, the armor shouldn't matter for dps right? Like you could wear your custom armor because dps shouldn't be taking so much damage anyways if you know the fights. As long as you have updated mods to put in, your stats should much those with the same lvl gear on, just lower armor.

Ultimately in at least flashpoints and end game raids, the armor shouldn't matter for dps right? Like you could wear your custom armor because dps shouldn't be taking so much damage anyways if you know the fights. As long as you have updated mods to put in, your stats should much those with the same lvl gear on, just lower armor.

I suppose that would depend on how well you can survive.

You typically want to use the highest armor tier your class can wear for the highest armor rating as aforementioned.

Light armor custom items don't work any different than non-custom items, and thus everyone can wear them but only light armor wearing classes can fully benefit from them.

That is what I'm hoping as I plan on having my Male JI Shadow tank wear the slave girl outfit. Am even tempted to go buy the set for my Knight so I can get Kira kitted out in it :)

Easy (IMO) fix.

Remove the armor type on orange armors, period. (possible exception of droid armor or other oranges that aren't cosmetic)

End/Wis armoring mods make the armor light

End/Cunning armoring mods make the armor medium

End/Aim armoring mods make the armor heavy

End/Str that give more str than end make the armor medium (Might?)

End/Str that give more end than str make the armor heavy (Guardian?)

Fixed.

Oh, and while you're at it, have the "show head slot" option affect your companions as well, or add a similar option. Or take a lesson from another game I played. Give each armor slot a checkbos. If the box isn't checked that piece isn't visible. (Maybe not have a slot for top/bottom, as there were an unusually large number of people running around apparently totally unequipped...)

Easy (IMO) fix.

Remove the armor type on orange armors, period. (possible exception of droid armor or other oranges that aren't cosmetic)

End/Wis armoring mods make the armor light

End/Cunning armoring mods make the armor medium

End/Aim armoring mods make the armor heavy

End/Str that give more str than end make the armor medium (Might?)

End/Str that give more end than str make the armor heavy (Guardian?)

Fixed.

Oh, and while you're at it, have the "show head slot" option affect your companions as well, or add a similar option. Or take a lesson from another game I played. Give each armor slot a checkbos. If the box isn't checked that piece isn't visible. (Maybe not have a slot for top/bottom, as there were an unusually large number of people running around apparently totally unequipped...)

Well DPS Juggs/Guardians want strength over end, and I think gunslingers/snipers use aim on medium armor... For the social/RP armors sold on vendors it would be fine I think to just offer a light, med, and heavy version of each.