Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Newb here: Why is the new expansion not free for subscribers?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Newb here: Why is the new expansion not free for subscribers?

--Morpheus--
10.10.2014 , 11:35 AM | #1
The Rise of the Hutt Cartel was free. Forgive my ignorance I've only been playing for 3 months. This is my first mmo and I only took the plunge because its StarWars. I had been considering pre-ordering so that I could level a bunch of characters that I thought I'd probably never get to. Then it occurred to me that I might have to drop the 20$ regardless if I wanted the expansion. Now I'm almost certain that's the case. I'm also certain I didn't pay for the last expansion so what gives? Also, why can't we buy the new expansion via cartel coins?

Vashforth
10.10.2014 , 11:37 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by --Morpheus-- View Post
The Rise of the Hutt Cartel was free. Forgive my ignorance I've only been playing for 3 months. This is my first mmo and I only took the plunge because its StarWars. I had been considering pre-ordering so that I could level a bunch of characters that I thought I'd probably never get to. Then it occurred to me that I might have to drop the 20$ regardless if I wanted the expansion. Now I'm almost certain that's the case. I'm also certain I didn't pay for the last expansion so what gives? Also, why can't we buy the new expansion via cartel coins?
It wasn't free for months after the initial release for subscribers.

chuixupu
10.10.2014 , 11:39 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Vashforth View Post
Correct. It became free later.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Tatile
10.10.2014 , 11:40 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Vashforth View Post
And we can't buy the expansion with Cartel Coins because you get a stipend of CC for a) having a subscription and b) having a security key. In essence, a CC transaction is liable to make the expansion "free" in a way that is unacceptable to the accounting, as CC is not a real money.

ScarletBlaze
10.10.2014 , 11:41 AM | #5
When it was first released it cost subscribers. It was until about 5-6 months later that it became free and they have never had expansion cost cartel coins. Cartel coins shouldn't be used for expansions due to the fact most subs get 500-600 coins per month anyways.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Guild Roleplays: http://republicexplorerscorp.enjin.com/activity
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/vLlZlR

FumikoM
10.10.2014 , 11:47 AM | #6
Why do people keep asking this? Blizzard takes about twice as much for their expansions, no one cares. Bioware want people to pay for their expansions and everyone loses their minds.

ghoul_drool
10.10.2014 , 11:54 AM | #7
Many, MANY people would have paid the $ 20 for that 12xXP alone.
Click my referral link for a FREE server transfer and other perks!! http://www.swtor.com/r/7JP7d7

Orizuru
10.10.2014 , 11:59 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by ScarletBlaze View Post
When it was first released it cost subscribers. It was until about 5-6 months later that it became free and they have never had expansion cost cartel coins. Cartel coins shouldn't be used for expansions due to the fact most subs get 500-600 coins per month anyways.
^ This!

And even F2P and Preferred players can earn 100 CC per month if they added a security key to their account. I didn't play the game for 2 years and continued to earn 100CC each month in a game I wasn't playing just for having added the mobile app security key to my account before the game ever went free to play. It was quite nice too when I decided to return the game and found that 2400 CC waiting for me.

--Morpheus--
10.10.2014 , 12:09 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by FumikoM View Post
Why do people keep asking this? Blizzard takes about twice as much for their expansions, no one cares. Bioware want people to pay for their expansions and everyone loses their minds.
You have a strange defintion of losing one's mind. I was just asking the question because I'm new and didn't understand why the 1st expansion was free for me as a subscriber.

Thanks to all for the replies. How much did they ask for Hutt Cartel expansion at launch?

Lt-Snake
10.10.2014 , 12:12 PM | #10
You have a strange defintion of losing one's mind. I was just asking the question because I'm new and didn't understand why the 1st expansion was free for me as a subscriber.

Thanks to all for the replies. How much did they ask for Hutt Cartel expansion at launch?
it was $20 f2p and $10 for sub