PvP sans griefing?

Orionmajor

It does, but not to the same extent or as often.

The real killer is Arenas (and to a lesser degree rated systems), because any minor advantage become FoTM and the devs end up having to do something (again and again).

Something like large scale RvR on the other hand probably causes no more nerfs than PvE metrics would anyway.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the problem with mankind (in general) in the first place you have your little way of life everything just seems to work and there is a system in place it takes one out of towner to come in and start complaining about how the majority is doing it wrong and all of a sudden you disenfranchise everyone for the few. It also reminds me how they want to take hard hits out of American football it's the whuusifying of our culture. soooooo, go to your gated community (pve server) and try to coexist there oh "it doesnt work because you want a sort of open world pvp " and you will now complain about that instead ,so on the other spectrum you are now the agressor. In all seriousness get to 50 and kick some arse. I will stop what I am doing and go to the planet where the ganking is happening and in my experience if there is true ganking happening the fleet will clear out to come save your rear. Long live ganking and retaliation to ganking.

This also reminds me that when you have a group of people chipping in for pizza and everyone is content with plain pepporoni and one of your dill hole friends insists on having mushrooms put on his pizza cuzz he is paying too even though no one else likes mushrooms . Everyone agreed with plain pepporoni becase it just seems to make the larger group happy.

This is the problem with mankind (in general) in the first place you have your little way of life everything just seems to work and there is a system in place it takes one out of towner to come in and start complaining about how the majority is doing it wrong and all of a sudden you disenfranchise everyone for the few. It also reminds me how they want to take hard hits out of American football it's the whuusifying of our culture. soooooo, go to your gated community (pve server) and try to coexist there oh "it doesnt work because you want a sort of open world pvp " and you will now complain about that instead ,so on the other spectrum you are now the agressor. In all seriousness get to 50 and kick some arse. I will stop what I am doing and go to the planet where the ganking is happening and in my experience if there is true ganking happening the fleet will clear out to come save your rear. Long live ganking and retaliation to ganking.

That is fine on pvp servers. But when it is force flag ganking on pve servers I hope people log out, change to alts or go to other planets....let's work together to make sure wherever the ganksters are is an empty wasteland....and not let ourselves be baited into giving them the big world pvp they are trying to start....let's band together and defend our pve servers from pvp players...not by allowing them to goad us into gang retaliation but but making wherever they are barren of anything for their pvp pleasure to enjoy.

I know many people in this forum want a change to pvp. I ask this, is there any way to do a world PvP without griefers,or a way to lessen it?

Yes, there is a way, but it's drastic. BioWare would have to take a "no tolerance policy" to griefing of any kind, which is highly dangerous. To me, it would be silly and ineffective. As with trolling and elitism, griefing's definition tends to change from person to person. Something that you may view as griefing is not always the same way that someone else sees it. For the company doing the police work, it's a dangerous road to tread down without upsetting a lot of people and making them leave.

However, even there, you had level 50's camp in the newbie areas to make sure new players could nto adavnce, which of course, is bad for business, as people quit the game.

That is not necessarily possible in this game. The first four planets for a faction are unaccessible to the other faction (Ord Mantell, Tython, Coruscant, and Taris for the Republic & Korriban, Hutta, Dromund Kaas [<3], and Balmorra for the Empire). The only real place that I've seen really serious ganking is Tatooine, which is good.

Is it possible perhaps for PvP players to police themselves, to cut off griefers from the better guilds?

Yes, it is very possible, but few people take the initiative. And as with griefing, trolling, and elitism, "policing ourselves" takes different meanings from person to person. For example, there is a guild on my server that frequently answers the call to defend lower level players on planets like Tatooine & Alderaan. They come in force and they kick people out. If the Imperial griefers don't leave, then they're typically too busy fighting the Republic guild to grief the lower level players.

However, 5/5 of the last 5 times that I've played my Juggernaut I've heard the Imperials complaining about that guild. They call them griefers as well, so there's really no winning. They also claim that they don't discriminate based on levels. I hear that they'll chase the Imperial griefers back to a base and just slaughter whatever's there including lower level Imperial players. Personally, I would let the baby Imps go seeing as they've done nothing wrong. Accidents also happen and a level 25 Sorcerer rolling through a War Hero's Mortar Volley after stepping off the taxi is probably going to die. I don't honestly know the truth as I've never stalked them.

Either way, it's all about perspective. As a low level Republic player, they're my heroes for letting me get the hell off of Tatooine in peace. As a low level Imperial player, they suck for keeping me from leaving the base. As a high level Republic player, I cheer them on and pick up my GenoHaradan rifle to join them. As a high level Imperial player, I grab my lightsabre and go to destroy them for stepping on my sand and insulting my honour.

That is fine on pvp servers. But when it is force flag ganking on pve servers I hope people log out, change to alts or go to other planets....let's work together to make sure wherever the ganksters are is an empty wasteland....and not let ourselves be baited into giving them the big world pvp they are trying to start....let's band together and defend our pve servers from pvp players...not by allowing them to goad us into gang retaliation but but making wherever they are barren of anything for their pvp pleasure to enjoy.

On the flip side those people who want to gank on pve servers need to come to a pvp server we need more people willing to fight for pvp sake. I have to agree that is totally weak to harass on an pve server.

On the flip side those people who want to gank on pve servers need to come to a pvp server we need more people willing to fight for pvp sake. I have to agree that is totally weak to harass on an pve server.

Ganking on PvE servers tend almost always to be "Hmmm..... he/she is AFK and PvP flagged". :(

Ganking on PvE servers tend almost always to be "Hmmm..... he/she is AFK and PvP flagged". :(

Or "they are miles away from their base, they've fought through loads of mobs to get to their class quest green door, and just as they AOE the last mob of NPCs in front of the door, I'll stealth in to the aoe so it flags them for PvP then we'll spawn camp gank him"

Or "they are miles away from their base, they've fought through loads of mobs to get to their class quest green door, and just as they AOE the last mob of NPCs in front of the door, I'll stealth in to the aoe so it flags them for PvP then we'll spawn camp gank him"

that sounds fun... well assuming I'm the done doing the ganking anyway

Yeah that too.

I think it's probably the concequence-less implimentation of most PvP in MMORPGs these days that adds too it. People were a lot more careful (and therefore polite) in the days of full coin and gear looting.

If I had designed SWTOR, there wouldn't be PVE and PVP servers. They would all be PVP, everyone would be together on the same server (except the role players, I guess they still need their own), *but* it would still work for both groups.

Most contested planets would essentially be divided in three zones. One zone for republic, one for imperials, and one contested zone. Imps would not be able to get into republic zones and vice versa and those zones controlled by each faction would have the main planet missions and plenty of side missions.

The contested zones would have mostly NPCs hostile to both factions and there would also be plenty of missions having all players go there, but not vital to the main planet stories. So PVEers could stay out. There would also be a base or two for each faction in the contested zone with plenty of guards that could be attacked anytime. The best times in that otherwise snooze-fest of a game called WOW were when a huge Horde group attacked one of the Alliance bases.

At level 50 there would be three planets, one controlled by each faction entirely (other faction members couldn't go there), and a third contested planet like Ilum with the whole thing would be open to PVP.

Edited by RAVM

if done on a pve server you can and will get banned if reported. i know i have done it to a few of you. just go ahead and flag people on a pve server. i pride myself in getting you banned.

on a pvp server anything goes now days. it is what people want. just remember one thing. how many new mmo players who rolled on a pvp server are going to stay in a game when ever they go out a high level toons camps them over and over? at first they will just log off and say the game sucks, after a while they will quit but a few will go to a pve server. what can be fun for the experienced can deter many new mmo players from pvp. it is issues like these that stagnates pvp player and faction balance populations in mmos. no one wants to log in with the expectation to play a game only to be killed over and over by something they have no chance of defeating. you are only cutting your own throats when you make people log out of a game.

if you want challenging pvp just make it where you can loot one item off a persons body, remove any rewards from losing in a warzone and only get rewarded for killing "green" or higher player characters. limit one toon per server so no swapping gear back and forth. eq1 had a server like this where pvp was hard core and not a bunch of sissies killing lowbies thinking they are uber and then whine about class balance.

If I had designed SWTOR, there wouldn't be PVE and PVP servers. They would all be PVP, everyone would be together on the same server (except the role players, I guess they still need their own), *but* it would still work for both groups.

Most contested planets would essentially be divided in three zones. One zone for republic, one for imperials, and one contested zone. Imps would not be able to get into republic zones and vice versa and those zones controlled by each faction would have the main planet missions and plenty of side missions.

The contested zones would have mostly NPCs hostile to both factions and there would also be plenty of missions having all players go there, but not vital to the main planet stories. So PVEers could stay out. There would also be a base or two for each faction in the contested zone with plenty of guards that could be attacked anytime. The best times in that otherwise snooze-fest of a game called WOW were when a huge Horde group attacked one of the Alliance bases.

At level 50 there would be three planets, one controlled by each faction entirely (other faction members couldn't go there), and a third contested planet like Ilum with the whole thing would be open to PVP.

I kind of like the sound of that. ;)

Well, I would miss half my guild and my husband if it was only PvP, a lot of players simply don't like it. I would probably never even have started playing SWTOR if PvP was an requirement. I play PvP-games with guildies every now and then, it's fun if you are on vent. But I do not wish to see it out in the open world, then I focus on story. So a PvE-server with the possibility of a spot of PvP when I feel like it is perfect. Different people like different things as always.

Well, I would miss half my guild and my husband if it was only PvP, a lot of players simply don't like it. I would probably never even have started playing SWTOR if PvP was an requirement. I play PvP-games with guildies every now and then, it's fun if you are on vent. But I do not wish to see it out in the open world, then I focus on story. So a PvE-server with the possibility of a spot of PvP when I feel like it is perfect. Different people like different things as always.

I think you missed my point that the entire levelling up process could be done in just your faction zones and planets. That's where the class and main planet missions would be. PVP would still be entirely optional.

I think you missed my point that the entire levelling up process could be done in just your faction zones and planets. That's where the class and main planet missions would be. PVP would still be entirely optional.

Ahh... sorry about that.

Hmm... still not really sure it is wise. If there were those 3 areas. Your home zone, the contested area and the "other zone", well, it comes down to how big it is. Would there be more in the game for those who enjoy PvP, who have both the main planet story and the PvP-area than for those who prefer PvE with perhaps a dash of PvP occasionally or who doesn't want it at all. I'm still not sure that it is a wise decision considering the fact that there are more PvE-servers than PvP-servers. If the rp-players need their own server to play according to their rules, why not the PvP-players as well. I am worried that I would feel boxed into the PvE-area, since I really do not want to play open world PvP in any way shape or form. I would rather have you guys off somewhere else, which is why I play on a PvE-server. Guess that there are quite a few of us, since there are so many PvE-servers.

I might not have gotten SWTOR if there wasn't a way to make sure that I could stay on a PvE-server, that is what I've played my short time in WoW and what my guildies like as well. We make fun in vent off how you almost got PvP-flagged when getting lost on Hoth or somewhere else, "Whew, dodged that bullet". I just really don't want any of it, and am worried that a planet with those three areas would leave me boxed in. But more likely, I just wouldn't try the game out. Would read on it, "No PvE-servers available" and start looking for something else since there are other games in which I can play without world-PvP.

Edited by SilentKitty

• Dev Post

*some weeks ago a bunch of pvp baddies(pve server) thought it was a good idea to force flag ppl and then they excused it as forcing wpvp for fun. bw took down the thread (jedi convy server) but they went on on how some were making them out to be the bad guys for exploiting the system for their amusement.

Hello there everyone. I just wanted to step in and post that we are aware that there is a way for players on PvE servers to force-flag others for PvP without their consent. This issue is one that we take seriously and are going to resolve in an upcoming patch. Thanks for your patience while we ensure a fix.

Additionally, thanks for the thoughtful responses in this thread. When differences of opinion are given respect, it leads to good discourse. This type of discussion enriches the community. o/''\o

Edited by AmberGreen
minor, for clarity.

Something that might help not getting flaged when you dont want it and the game Rift has it and it works good for them , A way to turn off PVP all togather in the UI, The way it works in Rift is if you have it turned OFF they can not Force flag you in any way , you can't help anyone flaged with PVP, if you have it turned off and they can't attack you .I hate being Flaged and am not a PVP player and the main reason i play on a PVE server . Edited by moonshoter

Hello there everyone. I just wanted to step in and post that we are aware that there is a way for players on PvE servers to force-flag others for PvP without their consent. This issue is one that we take seriously and are going to resolve in an upcoming patch. Thanks for your patience while we ensure a fix.

Additionally, thanks for the thoughtful responses in this thread. When differences of opinion are given respect, it leads to good discourse. This type of discussion enriches the community. o/''\o

And that is very good hear and could you add a timer so we kow when the flag is gonna drop ,

This was tried and won't work in any game, there are to many who like to PVE to much .

I can name one game and its not doing to well , remeber warhammer and i know BW may have run it some, but thats not why its not doing that great , its PVP based and no one i know , wants die hard pvp in a game .

Edited by moonshoter

Thank you so much for answering this. This is all I wanted to hear. Now I do not have to keep checking my thread on this in the Customer Server section. :)

The sooner it comes the better. It is a Plague On the Galaxy. :p Or at least a real big problem on the server I play on. That is if you have missions on Tatooine.

There are guilds in the game that do respond to griefing/ganking reports on their servers as part of their guild concept/policies. Alpha Company on the Jung Ma server (RP-PVP) is one of those guilds.

We are a rp/owpvp trooper-focused guild that stands in defense of the Republic and its allies. We commonly patrol planets- the community on Jung Ma knows that they can call on us if they are being threatened/ganked and we will respond in force.

Just last night we received a report of several... shirtless... Sith running amuck in the Republic Black Hole daily area. We responded and, to our surprise, ended up in a back-street throw down brawl (no weapons- legacy punches only!) with members of the Empire guilds <Nihilistic> and <Nightmare Squadron> that lasted over an hour. We circled up and both sides cheered on their chosen fighters. Everyone seemed to have a good evening of fun and parted ways with laughs. A big thanks to all who attended!

What I would do is since all the planets have a specified leveling range for content, I'd downlevel all characters on that planet higher than level range to the highest level of the range for that planet. So for example, I believe Tatooine is level Range 24-28. If a level 50 character landed there, they would be downleveled to 28.

Obviously a couple things would need to be addressed with that approach:

1) Story Missions that require killing, for example Sith Warrior's final Act III mission on Korriban

2) Belsavis Bonus Dailies

3) High level Companion Character missions to lower level planets that require killing

4) A player's gear/stats would need to be scaled down.

5) Player abilities gained after the highest downlevel rank, so for Example Orbital Strike, would need to be scaled down to a level 28 version.

6) Alderaan, Nar Shaddaa, and Hoth Bonus Serieses will probably need to be put back to their appropriate levels for the planet.

Edited by Blev

1. Trying to provoke a response from higher level characters.

2. The ganker has, let us say, issues and/or is probably so bad at PvP that killing lowbies is all they can do. Often very young kids or intoxicated adults.

3. So big into Role playing that they believe it is their duty (really weird in my opinion).

Ganking and griefing isn't PVP in my books. IMO PVP is when I match my skill against someone else - the thrill is in wining against someone that could have conceivably killed you. Not much "skill" in jumping on someone that is so far below you in level that they pose no threat to you. Really quite... pathetic IMO.

Griefing is again IMO quite sad. "Tea bagging" or dancing and emoting on corpses, following people around, etc - again not mature and not what I would do. This is not an indication of PVPers as a whole but rather a reflection of that particular person and the way they chose to conduct themselves.

Unfortunately a lot of respectful people are turned off by this kind of behavior and refuse to PVP because they buy into the belief that this IS PVP - no it's not. It's someone choosing to demonstrate the "strength" of their character, their lack of manners and respect for their opponent, and how they were brought up.