[DM] I am looking to buy a normal, western male name

Lundorff

I have a few characters from back in the days I managed to reclaim during the server merges but that I don't really play on, Andrea, Lukas, Jessie and Misha, 500mil per name, maybe 300m for Jessie, don't think I will ever use that name again.

500 mill for names you are not using... :D. I wish you the best of luck.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just by you asking for these names has already increased the value above your offer, and you've shown you're sort of picky so I think you're looking for a needle in a haystack. In other words, you showed your cards too soon. Maybe I'm wrong and you'll really offer 500 million on THAT name you want if someone has it.

Sadly, the players that probably have the exact names you're looking for, don't play anymore and the one's still playing and actually read the forums now won't give you a reasonable price. But I do wish you luck. Honestly, you'd probably have better luck begging Musco's email and asking to unlock one of those locked names. Zero chance of success if you don't try. :D

Just by you asking for these names has already increased the value above your offer, and you've shown you're sort of picky so I think you're looking for a needle in a haystack. In other words, you showed your cards too soon. Maybe I'm wrong and you'll really offer 500 million on THAT name you want if someone has it.

Sadly, the players that probably have the exact names you're looking for, don't play anymore and the one's still playing and actually read the forums now won't give you a reasonable price. But I do wish you luck. Honestly, you'd probably have better luck begging Musco's email and asking to unlock one of those locked names. Zero chance of success if you don't try. :D

You are reading a bit too much into this. Based on gold spammer values, 500 millions is something like USD 120-150 which I would never pay for any name expect Revan -- and even that would be insane given the state of the game, and I would need to buy the entire account since it is a locked name. This thread was mostly created in the naive hope that someone might give me their name outright. Oh well :)

I have a few characters from back in the days I managed to reclaim during the server merges but that I don't really play on, Andrea, Lukas, Jessie and Misha, 500mil per name, maybe 300m for Jessie, don't think I will ever use that name again.

Jessie is a good name and cheapest here... 300 million? I'd buy that if I had extra credits to spend on anything. Jessie is a cool name OP buy it now before someone like me buys it haha.

Jessie is a good name and cheapest here... 300 million? I'd buy that if I had extra credits to spend on anything. Jessie is a cool name OP buy it now before someone like me buys it haha.

Jessie is an okay name, but it is a bit too female for my liking. Besides, it would give me constant Breaking Bad flash backs :p

(Yes I am probably way to picky for any of this to work.)

ooh Jessie, that's my name irl [mostly]. I'd prefer Jesse but that's still pretty good.

i wouldn't pay 300M for it though. My characters are their own characters, not alter-egos. And lore-wise, star wars has very few European naming conventions, besides Luke and Ben.

I would, however, be willing to pay 50M for Prosper. That was the name of my first character back on BC [an IA], but during the merger it got wiped.

Edited by Ardrossan

I also have Henry - but you'd have to pay megabucks for.- -What kinda credits are you thinking, OP - Bear in mind that it's gonna have to be considerably more than a character rename token x 10.

Henry: Yes this would be a perfect name, but a character rename x 10? No thank you.

To be honest, for a name like Henry, this price isn't unreasonable. I mean a rename token is only 1k CC. Considering the cartel market prices for single rare lightsabers, 10k CC for a short, normal, western name is not crazy.

On the same server a while back there was a girl with a short name that wasn't even a famous or real one, just nice and snappy, who sold it for 1 rename token and a six-month sub to someone to happened to really want it. The name had five letters, two syllables, very like Henry except it wouldn't have so many people looking for it due to it being a made-up name (I guess that girl and the buyer coincidentally made it up; it seemed to be the name the buyer used in every game they played). I will say this: the would-be buyer hounded this poor girl (getting friends and alts to message her after she put their main on ignore), so I'm not actually comfortable with how it turned out, but at least in the end she got something decent from what happened.

I'd personally add that I wouldn't at any price sell my several four-letter names. (One of them used to be three letters back on Trask Ulgo before the very first merge, but that was so long ago that the new version now feels much more real.) Given that a certain number of people like me simply won't budge, and plenty of others will have left the game and won't be contactable, there's going to be a fairly limited pool of people willing to make a deal like this at all.

Edited by Estelindis

I think if you want something another player has that's quite this rare, you're going to have to be willing to pay. If someone has such a name, they've doubtless been sitting on it for quite a while, and won't let go of it for just any run of the mill offer. 100mil is a lot, but when it comes to something as personalized and evident as a character name, some may not even want to put a price tag on it.

That said, you've got a very narrow standard to work with here. I'm afraid you might not be able to find what you're looking for in the budget you have. Maybe if you loosened up your idea just a little bit you might be able to get the perfect name for free, without using alt codes or unnecessary apostrophes. For example, if you dropped the requirement that it cannot have a surname, you could still come up with a perfectly 'average' sounding English name.

Henry Landon

Thomas Howard

Jack Lewis

Charlie Edwards

Hugo Flores

Felix Perry

Harry Schmidt

James Anderson

Edward Peters

The list can go on and on with any number of combinations. Not that I'm trying to dissuade you from trying to find what you want, just that if you want a more surefire way of getting something that's at least within the realm of realistic names, you might have to compromise if you're not willing to pay what others are asking for the name they have in their possession.

Unfortunately, you have champagne taste on a shoestring budget. I forget how that saying goes. A billionare whate could easily plop 500m credits for a name and not think twice. The rest of us have to dream. ;)

You got me a bit wrong here. I have (sadly) spend $4000-5000 on this game since launch, so the idea of paying for something I really want is not foreign to me. There are certainly names I would be willing to spend 500m or more to acquire, but to be brutally honest the names suggested in this thread are not those. This thread was not an attempt to find one of those names, and I honestly thought someone might be willing to simply give me a name they don't use -- guess I was being naive.

Edited by Lundorff

I think if you want something another player has that's quite this rare, you're going to have to be willing to pay. If someone has such a name, they've doubtless been sitting on it for quite a while, and won't let go of it for just any run of the mill offer. 100mil is a lot, but when it comes to something as personalized and evident as a character name, some may not even want to put a price tag on it.

That said, you've got a very narrow standard to work with here. I'm afraid you might not be able to find what you're looking for in the budget you have. Maybe if you loosened up your idea just a little bit you might be able to get the perfect name for free, without using alt codes or unnecessary apostrophes. For example, if you dropped the requirement that it cannot have a surname, you could still come up with a perfectly 'average' sounding English name.

Henry Landon

Thomas Howard

Jack Lewis

Charlie Edwards

Hugo Flores

Felix Perry

Harry Schmidt

James Anderson

Edward Peters

The list can go on and on with any number of combinations. Not that I'm trying to dissuade you from trying to find what you want, just that if you want a more surefire way of getting something that's at least within the realm of realistic names, you might have to compromise if you're not willing to pay what others are asking for the name they have in their possession.

I already have several very unique double names, but the lower case surname in chat makes it looks horrendous.

Edited by Lundorff

To be honest, for a name like Henry, this price isn't unreasonable. I mean a rename token is only 1k CC. Considering the cartel market prices for single rare lightsabers, 10k CC for a short, normal, western name is not crazy.

It is a fine name yes, but not something I am particular interested in paying for. To explain how picky I am, I usually try to avoid names with the letters Y, G and P when they are not the first letter of the name. I dislike how they break below the line.

Example of great names: Emma, James, John, Michael, Lukas, Alexander, Caroline, Carter, Jack, Jacob, Nathan, Thomas, Charles, Hunter, Connor, Eve, Mia, Elizabeth, Kate, Sofia, Scarlett, Grace, Nora, Mila, Bella etc.

Names I might avoid: Logan, Christopher, Abigail, Penelope etc.

An exception to this rule would be the name Emily. I just find it adorable.

Yes I am mildly insane when it comes to character names, and I would speak at length about the stuff I have done in this game and the changes I would make to the system if allowed to :D

I don't disagree with you- maybe that's the bigger issue here as it is. Perhaps a thread about that would be a good idea- I'd happily support it.

An attempt to petition a change was made back when it was first implemented, but unfortunately that requires BW to put on their thinking caps, and I am afraid they have misplaced the lot of them.

An attempt to petition a change was made back when it was first implemented, but unfortunately that requires BW to put on their thinking caps, and I am afraid they have misplaced the lot of them.

Well, never say never- a lot of things that would "never happen" have happened, so I wouldn't give up hope. Just because it's not a priority doesn't mean it's off the table.

Example of great names: Emma, James, John, Michael, Lukas, Alexander, Caroline, Carter, Jack, Jacob, Nathan, Thomas, Charles, Hunter, Connor, Eve, Mia, Elizabeth, Kate, Sofia, Scarlett, Grace, Nora, Mila, Bella etc.

Names I might avoid: Logan, Christopher, Abigail, Penelope etc.

An exception to this rule would be the name Emily. I just find it adorable.

What about "normal" non-English names, like Amelia, Tiago (or Thiago), Miguel, Lucas, Alexandre, Carolina, Carreiro, Jaques, [Jacó], Natan, Tomas, [Caçador], Carlos, Cornelio, Eva, Mila, Isabel, Katia, [sofia], Carlota, [Graça], Eleanor, Ludmila, Bela etc.? These are translations / adaptations / approximations of your example names to Portuguese and other languages.

Not that I have any of these, I'm just curious :-)

EDIT: Oh, bracketed names have special characters, that you said you don't like.

Edited by Dbohrius

Well, never say never- a lot of things that would "never happen" have happened, so I wouldn't give up hope. Just because it's not a priority doesn't mean it's off the table.

Sooo.... here comes Joe Newplayer wanting to check out SWTOR. He downloads the client, installs and updates the game and finds a class he wants to play. So far so good, and now he has arrived at the point of naming his new toon.

So he tries a name and is met with "Invalid name.". Okay so he tries another and is met with "Name unavailable, please chose another." What the f... is the difference he thinks, but fine, whatever, he is not picky, so he tries the next 15 names he can come up with and gets "Invalid, invalid, unavailable, invalid, invalid, invalid" etc.

Now he is :mad: and out of spite he tries some curse words: "invalid, invalid, invalid!"

¤#&¤%¤%/%&/%&

He tries some numbers: "Invalid name!" Now the game is even shouting at him.

He has had enough and tries the random function 6 times until it lands on a ok name: "Name una-" #¤%#¤#¤% Arh! WUT! He is completely baffled by this! Why would the game suggest a name that is already taken???!?! He tries again with the same result. He curse the game and writes "Invalid Name" as his new name and gets "Name unava-"

He is at the brink of his patience when he gets a bright idea. The acronym RRTY means something special to him so he creates a toon called "RRTY Hero" and the name is accepted! Glory! Excited he enters the game and throws a glance at his name: "Rrty Hero".

Despair. Desolation. Resignation. Anger. ***! Why is this sh** not in capital letters "¤¤#¤"%". He hits ALT+F4 and trash talks this #¤%¤#%#¤ game on every forum.

The end :D

----

Well okay, a bit extreme for sure, but BW has never recognized the need for a proper naming system and at this point it's far, far too late. But knock yourself out :)

What about "normal" non-English names, like Amelia, Tiago (or Thiago), Miguel, Lucas, Alexandre, Carolina, Carreiro, Jaques, [Jacó], Natan, Tomas, [Caçador], Carlos, Cornelio, Eva, Mila, Isabel, Katia, [sofia], Carlota, [Graça], Eleanor, Ludmila, Bela etc.? These are translations / adaptations / approximations of your example names to Portuguese and other languages.

Not that I have any of these, I'm just curious :-)

EDIT: Oh, bracketed names have special characters, that you said you don't like.

Yes some of those are okay (I have Carolina on SF) but they are basically all taken, and I would not want to pay for any of those.

One of my "hobbies" is to run through name lists on a weekly basic. For years I have been testing several thousand names each week, but with update 5.0 the servers no longer glitch*, so now it's even more impossible to get a decent name.

* Some of the servers used to glitch and during this period you could register any name, even curse words. Alas this does not happen anymore.

Coming from pen & paper role-playing, I never had difficulties in inventing names. It's so easy I often wonder why some people make such a fuzz about it.

I even purposefully shy away from RL names. I mean, RL in a fantastic world ? I don't even recal any RL names in Star Wars. Apart from RL names changed so much that they don't look like RL names anymore, like Kira Carsten or Jeesa Williams.

And now to something slightly different... :D

If anyone is willing to part with their normal, english male character name on DM then let me know. I am willing to pay up to 100 millions credits if I consider it particular noteworthy.

Rules:

1. The name can not contain any apostrophes or special characters.
  2. It can not be a 2-part name e.g. John Doe. Only first names.
  3. The name must, obviously, be tradable. You can test this by trying to register the name again, and if it say "Invalid name" then your name is glitched / reserved and can not be traded so to speak. It must say "Name unavailable".

And please don't waste my time and yours, by suggesting names with special characters or lamenting my horrid lack of creativity. I just prefer normal names like John, Peter, William, Kevin, Charles, Logan, Lucas, Michael etc.

Horst :D

If you want western, you can look up lists of places easily on the net.

For instance I live in the UK and near my home are hundreds of places which could easily become star wars names.

List_of_places_in_Oxfordshire

List_of_places_in_Berkshire

You can do this for regions in all European countries. pretty much every town village and city has a 'western' name. If you add in features, geographic spots, rivers, hills, mountains, areas, battles, families and such , there are probably millions.

Unfortunately a lot of people carpet-bagged all the common names, either because they wanted film names, or famous people names, or just so their toon can have their own name. - But you have to be creative after so many years. The names from the SW franchise are usually against the ToS -Tho' some people bend the rules and seem to get away with it.

Personally I'd never get a 'name taken' refusal as a reason not to play. - Sometimes even the weirdest names you come to grow to like and love and won't give up after a while.

Create the character and look at the portrait. sometimes you get inspiration from that alone. :) - you could always post a pic and brief background and let people suggest a name.

GL

Edited by Storm-Cutter

Sooo.... here comes Joe Newplayer wanting to check out SWTOR. He downloads the client, installs and updates the game and finds a class he wants to play. So far so good, and now he has arrived at the point of naming his new toon.

So he tries a name and is met with "Invalid name.". Okay so he tries another and is met with "Name unavailable, please chose another." What the f... is the difference he thinks, but fine, whatever, he is not picky, so he tries the next 15 names he can come up with and gets "Invalid, invalid, unavailable, invalid, invalid, invalid" etc.

Now he is :mad: and out of spite he tries some curse words: "invalid, invalid, invalid!"

¤#&¤%¤%/%&/%&

He tries some numbers: "Invalid name!" Now the game is even shouting at him.

He has had enough and tries the random function 6 times until it lands on a ok name: "Name una-" #¤%#¤#¤% Arh! WUT! He is completely baffled by this! Why would the game suggest a name that is already taken???!?! He tries again with the same result. He curse the game and writes "Invalid Name" as his new name and gets "Name unava-"

He is at the brink of his patience when he gets a bright idea. The acronym RRTY means something special to him so he creates a toon called "RRTY Hero" and the name is accepted! Glory! Excited he enters the game and throws a glance at his name: "Rrty Hero".

Despair. Desolation. Resignation. Anger. ***! Why is this sh** not in capital letters "¤¤#¤"%". He hits ALT+F4 and trash talks this #¤%¤#%#¤ game on every forum.

The end :D

----

Well okay, a bit extreme for sure, but BW has never recognized the need for a proper naming system and at this point it's far, far too late. But knock yourself out :)

Yeah that is extreme. And by that I mean I doubt many people have had that problem. I've never had an issue creating a name in the game- probably because I tend to make up my own names based on phonetic preference, nor am I averse to using alt codes or surnames as needed.

I think your perception of the issue is coloured pretty heavily by the nature of the name you're looking for. Which is your prerogative, I'm not going to tell you that you're wrong to want such a name. But with such rigid criteria, let's just say I'm not surprised you're having trouble either.

I even purposefully shy away from RL names. I mean, RL in a fantastic world ? I don't even recal any RL names in Star Wars. Apart from RL names changed so much that they don't look like RL names anymore, like Kira Carsten or Jeesa Williams.

Luke, Han, Owen, Lana, Mina, Cody, Finn, Conan, Antonio, Ben, Paige, Rose, and I'm sure there are many more. But these are all names that belong to existing people and happen to also be found in the Star Wars universe. It's not out of the ballpark, by any means.